Elena, Felipe Froilán &Victoria Federica de Marichalar, News 2:June 2007- May 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems an unwise move (although Felipe might secretly agree with his nephew - given his firm speech on the Catalunya crisis- he will of course deny it in public).

Froilán might no longer be a member of the Casa Real, he is still the king's nephew and therefore a member of the 'king's family' and as such should stay far away from politics imo. Although I understand that being in that 'in-between' position makes it hard for him.

Froilán, on the other hand, on February 10th attended a mass demonstration against the government in Madrid.
The manifestation was summoned and attended by right and far right wing party that opposed the Prime Minister's intention to accept a mediator figure at the cross-party talks on Catalonia. Protesters called Pedro Sanchez a traitor and asked for immediate elections.

Apparently, Froilán asked the Casa Real for permission to attend the manifestation and allegedly it was granted because the demonstration hadn't been called by one political party only.

https://www.elmundo.es/loc/casa-real/2019/02/23/5c6ff44221efa024738b45dd.html

I can't believe the Casa Real would not advise Froilán against doing it.

I understand Froilán is not an HRH and not a member of the Royal House. However, he is still 4th in line to the throne, which is pretty high. The monarchy is constantly under attack by leftist republicans as an allegeded relic of the Franco regime. Having a member of the Royal Family attend a right-wing rally along with far right groups that are nostalgic of the old regime only makes the RF more vulnerable to criticism as it reinforces the republican point of view.

Last edited:
Don Felipe Juan Froilán de Marichalar is 4th in line to the throne and should have been advised against attending the mass demonstration in Madrid.

Froilan is not a member of the Royal Family, therefore the Royal House is not his nanny and they can not prevent him from doing things that they do not know he is going to do.

It was his mother's job to educate him and teach him what public attitudes were admissible and what were not according to his position, but he always behaves like a rebellious boy. Froilán and Victoria are of legal age, now the press is following them and does not lose the opportunity to create controversies ... but they have some attitudes and hobbies that facilitate criticism.

Last edited:
Froilan is not a member of the Royal Family, therefore the Royal House is not his nanny and they can not prevent him from doing things that they do not know he is going to do.

But the OP said Froilán consulted the Royal House before attending the rally and asked for their approval. So, if that is true, not only did they know what the boy was going to do, but also they were OK with it, which is what I find surprising.

He's a headstrong young man and does exactly what he wants,he's no stranger to controversy,I doubt he listens to anyone.

But the OP said Froilán consulted the Royal House before attending the rally and asked for their approval. So, if that is true, not only did they know what the boy was going to do, but also they were OK with it, which is what I find surprising.

Read my previous message ... Zarzuela has officially denied that Froilán communicated anything to them (you also have to know the ideological position and the intention of the newspaper that published the news)... as I said he is not part of the Royal House, and therefore has no obligation to ask permission to do anything.

I do not think that in general the image that the press transmits of Froilán and Victoria like posh children, not very good students, that they like the bulls and the hippodrome ... it coincides with the image that Zarzuela wants to transmit today. But if their parents and grandparents do nothing to amend it, Zarzuela and Felipe can not do it.

It is not a new problem ... some children of Infanta Pilar have always been accused of using their last name to obtain privileges or business. It is the problem of the King's Family, they do not have any official responsibility, they are private people ... and they do not always behave with due prudence. It has happened and will always happen.

It was a silly thing for him to do for several reasons. Hopefully those reasons have been pointed out to him and he’s gained some perspective.

I’ve thought before it would have been better for young Felipe to remain in the US for his post secondary education. Juan Carlos and Sophia will have paved the way for lives of financial and especially social privilege for their daughters’ children and, of course, their lives will be much more free than those of their royal cousins. Felipe will have doors open for him anywhere in the world and he’s never been great at navigating the media scrutiny he gets in Spain. A few more years to mature in anonymity might do him good.

Supposedly, Spain is a free country. Juan Froilan is a private citizen, who is free to participate in any activity he wants to. He should not really care about King Felipe/Casa Real's opinion or ask for a permission to take part in political activities.

Last edited:
He's a headstrong young man and does exactly what he wants,he's no stranger to controversy,I doubt he listens to anyone.

Agree with this summary of Felipe Froilan - he was acting based on how he personally feels about the issues raised at hand during the demonstration and as a person of a strong character decided to act on that. As lula pointed out, he has been portrayed in the press as being a bit of a "black sheep" from a young age (I remember there were stories from when he was ten of him giving the middle finger to the paparazzi) and the press probably want to continue stories along these lines as most of the public no doubt view him as such based on what they've read about him in newspapers and magazines.

Felipe is a private citizen so I think that, whilst it may of been better for him to stay at home given his ties with the royal family (who have already faced so much negative PR over the past few years and are already on "thin ice"), though he has no official association with the royal house so it's not as important as, say, if Princess Leonor had attended the same event. Hasn't his mother Elena also publicly declared her views on the Catalonia referendum issue? Reminds me of the issue of Prince Charles here in the UK and political views.

Froilán might no longer be a member of the Casa Real, he is still the king's nephew and therefore a member of the 'king's family' and as such should stay far away from politics imo. Although I understand that being in that 'in-between' position makes it hard for him.

It becomes a problem when - as obviously in this case - both Felipe and Victoria have bodyguards that are paid for by the Spanish State/taxpayer, and those bodyguards guard Felipe at a demonstration against the very state that pays for them.

It's never a good image to be seen smoking, partying, hanging around in elite circles while not performing at super expensive elite schools that your King emeritus grandfather pays for you but at some point if not the uncle but the parents or grandparents who foot the bill for the youngsters should maybe have a word with them about public conduct.

It becomes a problem when - as obviously in this case - both Felipe and Victoria have bodyguards that are paid for by the Spanish State/taxpayer, and those bodyguards guard Felipe at a demonstration against the very state that pays for them.

It's never a good image to be seen smoking, partying, hanging around in elite circles while not performing at super expensive elite schools that your King emeritus grandfather pays for you but at some point if not the uncle but the parents or grandparents who foot the bill for the youngsters should maybe have a word with them about public conduct.

Is it confirmed that Froilán and Victoria have state-paid bodyguards ?

Seems like it's a pretty tough time to be King of Spain -- and the King's extended family isn't making it any easier. It's particularly bizarre considering Juan Carlos had to abdicate in part due to errors in judgment and family scandals. You'd think everyone would have the good sense to be on their best behavior . . .

https://www.clm24.es/articulo/gente...n-victoria-federica/20190311122014237642.html
https://translate.google.de/transla...n-victoria-federica/20190311122014237642.html

Most articles mention it, and it poses a problem when they attending demostrations against the Sanchez government or events hosted by right wing parties.

Interesting. I didn't think they would be considered "important" enough in terms of succession for bodyguards; though the SRF is on a rocky road as it is so if true I can imagine the court are just being cautious. But attending right wing demonstrations doesn't help ease this rocky road :whistling:

They have bodyguards for their unexpected attitudes !
Is this a result of a bad Education, their Father's illness , their parents Divorce ??

Jaime de Marichalar is ill? What ails him?

They are not part of the Royal Family, and therefore who decides if they have bodyguards or not, depending on the risks they value is the Interior Ministry.

Elena has bodyguards, but I have great doubts that her children, now that they are adults, still have them. The nephews of Juan Carlos never had them, and only that the government thought that there is some kind of risk because they are more known would justify that the children of Elena had them.

https://www.clm24.es/articulo/gente...n-victoria-federica/20190311122014237642.html
https://translate.google.de/transla...n-victoria-federica/20190311122014237642.html

Most articles mention it, and it poses a problem when they attending demostrations against the Sanchez government or events hosted by right wing parties.

Interesting. I didn't think they would be considered "important" enough in terms of succession for bodyguards; though the SRF is on a rocky road as it is so if true I can imagine the court are just being cautious. But attending right wing demonstrations doesn't help ease this rocky road :whistling:

Do you mean that it would have been considered a milder problem (or not a problem at all) for the Royal Family if they had instead attended left wing or pro-Sanchez government events?

They are not part of the Royal Family, and therefore who decides if they have bodyguards or not, depending on the risks they value is the Interior Ministry.

Elena has bodyguards, but I have great doubts that her children, now that they are adults, still have them. The nephews of Juan Carlos never had them, and only that the government thought that there is some kind of risk because they are more known would justify that the children of Elena had them.

Maybe you are right, and Felipe uses Elena's bodyguards, what doesn't make it any better.

There are various articles about Felipe and his escapades and usually bodyguards are mentioned.
https://www.elnacional.cat/enblau/es/casa-real/guardaespaldas-froilan_250536_102.html

Do you mean that it would have been considered a milder problem (or not a problem at all) for the Royal Family if they had instead attended left wing or pro-Sanchez government events?
There have been similar discussions about the bodyguard issues in the BRF section with Harry (who is of course a member of the BRF and has now settled down), whose state-funded bodyguards were around when he partied hard in Las Vegas and went to a costume party in a Nazi outfit:
the bodyguard has to do the job, the judgement or thinking have to do others.

But Elena and her children are allowed to vote, aren't they?

Elena,Felipe Juan Froilán &Victoria Federica de Marichalar,News Part 2:June 2007

Without wanting to turn this into a political discussion (just felt that I needed to clarify before words would be put in my mouth): Quite the oposite in fact. I would prefer for Elena’s children not to attend ANY political demonstrations regardless of whether they’re supporting the left or the right stance, as whilst they’re private citizens, their names are still connected to the Casa Real and traditionally royalty and politics aren’t meant to mix regardless of what “wing” a royal supports. The SRF are on thin enough ice as it is and they don’t need any more negative PR at the moment even from those who aren’t officially working members of the family.

Without wanting to turn this into a political discussion (just felt that I needed to clarify before words would be put in my mouth): Quite the oposite in fact. I would prefer for Elena’s children not to attend ANY political demonstrations regardless of whether they’re supporting the left or the right stance, as whilst they’re private citizens, their names are still connected to the Casa Real and traditionally royalty and politics aren’t meant to mix regardless of what “wing” a royal supports. The SRF are on thin enough ice as it is and they don’t need any more negative PR at the moment even from those who aren’t officially working members of the family.

I would like to reassure you that I have no intent of "putting words in" the mouth of any individual. :flowers: That is the reason for asking for clarification as to whether the Spanish people would consider it a problem for a member of the king's family to attend any event of a political nature, or only right-wing but not left-wing political events. Thank you for clarifying.

I agree. I would prefer they not have any political affiliation. In this case, no PR is good PR for the SRF. My thoughts are also, if Elena is being supported by funds for the SRF, and in turn her children are benefiting from those funds, then they should not be participating in these protests. Of course, this is just my opinion.l

I would like to reassure you that I have no intent of "putting words in" the mouth of any individual. :flowers: That is the reason for asking for clarification as to whether the Spanish people would consider it a problem for a member of the king's family to attend any event of a political nature, or only right-wing but not left-wing political events. Thank you for clarifying.

Not a problem ? People assuming someone has said the wrong thing without reading their argument fully has always been a huge problem in political discussions from both sides of the political spectrums, and having had many political discussions lately with both sides of the debate myself as a Brit (don’t think I need to mention the biggest political issue here in the UK at the moment :lol:), I just wanted to clarify that!

Exactly, and even more so that the private citizen Felipe is actually No 4 in line of the throne, as other posters have already pointed out.

Don Felipe and Doña Victoria de Marichalar are 4th and 5th in the line of Succession unlike the children of the Infantas Pilar and Margarita who were just the nephew/nieces of King Juan Carlos.

I agree. I would prefer they not have any political affiliation. In this case, no PR is good PR for the SRF. My thoughts are also, if Elena is being supported by funds for the SRF, and in turn her children are benefiting from those funds, then they should not be participating in these protests. Of course, this is just my opinion.l

Another very good point. I'm guessing this is also the reason why Felipe Froilan and Victoria Federica have bodyguards too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom