Princess Märtha Louise & Family General News and Information: 2003 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some photos of extensions:

Ask, and yee shall receive. Thank you, Dennism and Kirstengrafin. ;)

Märtha relinquishing the HRH

Quick question - has Martha's dropping of the HRH really made any difference? It seemed like she was trying to back away from royal duties a bit when Harald got sick. But now that he is back she still seems to be around alot. Any other reason she dropped the HRH? Also, can Ari be given a title, or order in Norway? It always seems that he is more left out that husbands of other Princesses in Europe.

Princess Märtha did indeed indicate that one of the reasons she dropped the HRH was because she wanted to cut down on her engagements. However, the illness of King Harald proved (at least to me) that she is still needed. He is now back in business, but the Crown Princess is still taking care of her young daughter, which is probably one of the reasons Princess Märtha has quite a few engagements also this month. Personally, I don't think dropping the HRH title made any difference, and it wasn't such a good idea. People still treat her as a Princess, and she is still needed to perform royal engagements.

The Princess will have another tour of reading fairytales in September, and will together with her husband move to New York this autumn. Obviously this means she will not perform many engagements.

The Norwegian constitution clearly states that no citizens can have titles, except those in line for the throne. Thus King Harald could give a title to Maud Angelica, but not to her father.
Regarding Orders - Ari Behn is not likely to receive any Norwegian ones, as he does not do anything to deserve them. His position is the same as Princess Astrid's husband Johan Martin Ferner, and he has not received any Norwegian Order. However it is very likely that Ari will receive orders from foreign countries if he is present during state visits. Especially visiting monarch might give him orders.

martha was really gorgeous in those extensions!! :rolleyes:

Peacock - a set of china designed by Ari Behn

Ari has designed a set of china for Magnor Glassverk. According to himself this is something he has been wanting to do for ten years. He has been working on this for the past two years, after being approached for the company.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=171989

To view a video: http://atvs.vg.no/player/index.php?id=8825

The glasses from the collection: http://www.setcommunication.com/magnor/koll/koll.asp?Koll=169

And a closer look at the china: http://www.setcommunication.com/magnor/koll/koll.asp?Koll=170

Personally I think the design looks very interesting, but I don't know if it is something I would want to eat off - it looks more like something you keep around for decoration.

Well done Ari Behn, they certainly are a beautiful china setting. I think they would look wonderful in a modern house. The glasses however are something I would deifinitely love to have. :)

Ari Behn is a designer now:
Never before has the introduction of some new tableware and glasses attracted so much media attention in Norway. Then again, such items have never been designed by the celebrity husband of a Norwegian princess, either....
Ari Behn turns designer - Aftenposten.no

Seems like Ari tries to do something in his own name for oce - in his biography from the homepage of the china-manufacturer nothing is said about his marriage to ML.

:flowers:

Nice glasses but i am not sure i like the china.

How Come Ari Behn doesn't have a title?

I was wondering how come Princess Märtha Louise's husband Ari Behn doesn't have a title and isn't a prince. It's sort of strange since Prince Haakon's wife has a title.:confused:

Possible because Her Highness Princess Martha Louise has tried to distance herself from the Royal Family. Hence the Her Highness not Her Royal Highness.
Maud Angelica, Leah Isadora or Emma Tallulah have no royal titles. :flowers:

Last edited:
SpeedDial said:
I was wondering how come Princess Märtha Louise's husband Ari Behn doesn't have a title and isn't a prince. It's sort of strange since Prince Haakon's wife has a title.

Ari Behn isn't the only one who didn't get a Royal title.

When King Harald's sisters, Princess Astrid and Princess Ragnhild, got married to commoners, neither of their husbands got a title either; neither did their children. They only got their fathers' surnames (Ferner and Lorentzen).
The same goes for Ari Behn's and Princess Märtha's daughters.

lumutuqueen said:
Possible because Her Highness Princess Martha Louise has tried to distance herself from the Royal Family
Märtha gave up her title when she married Ari Behn. She didn't do that to distance herself from the Royal Family, but to be able to start her own business...
(what she did... with her angel school and everything :D ).
Neither Märtha nor Ari are members of the "Royal House". They are only members of the "Royal Family".

Last edited:
Ari Behn isn't the only one who didn't get a Royal title.

When King Harald's sisters, Princess Astrid and Princess Ragnhild, got married to commoners, neither of their husbands got a title either; neither did their children. They only got their fathers' surnames (Ferner and Lorentzen).
The same goes for Ari Behn's and Princess Märtha's daughters.

Märtha gave up her title when she married Ari Behn. She didn't do that to distance herself from the Royal Family, but to be able to start her own business...
(what she did... with her angel school and everything :D ).
Neither Märtha nor Ari are members of the "Royal House". They are only members of the "Royal Family".

But Haakon's wife is a commoner, and she got a title...is it just because Haakon's next in line to the throne?

Wow, all the different scenarios and rules are confusing.:lol:

But Haakon's wife is a commoner, and she got a title...is it just because Haakon's next in line to the throne?

Wow, all the different scenarios and rules are confusing.:lol:
It's the tradition that a wife takes on her husband's titles and not the other way around. Since Haakon is the crown prince, his wife Mette-Marit becomes crown princess. Even if they weren't royal, a woman takes her husband's name. If Joe Smith married Jane Doe, they would be Mr and Mrs. Smith, not Mr. and Mrs. Doe. Sometimes commoner men who marry princesses are given titles, like Anthony Armstrong-Jones (Earl of Snowdon), Jaime de Marichalar (Duke of Lugo) and Inaki Urdangarin (Duke of Palma de Mallorca). However, some like the Princess Royal's ex-husband, Mark Phillips refused a title.

Yes, I think the wife of the CP gets a title as she has to become Queen.
That also happened to Sonja Haraldsen when she married Harald.
That's also why the CP needs the permission of Stortinget to get married.
(I don't know if the other members of teh RF need the permission of Stortinget too, actually.... does anyone know?)

I'm not sure whether they need the Storting's permission to marry (I couldn't find it on the monarchy's website), but theoretically they might need to go to Queen Elizabeth II under the Royal Marriages Act of 1772, as Haakon VII is descended from the British Line via Queen Maud.

Yes, I think the wife of the CP gets a title as she has to become Queen.
That also happened to Sonja Haraldsen when she married Harald.
That's also why the CP needs the permission of Stortinget to get married.
(I don't know if the other members of teh RF need the permission of Stortinget too, actually.... does anyone know?)

It's only a formality. Once the king gives his consent, the Stortinget automatically agrees.

Some of you may have heard about the black man in USA who was killed by police officers a few days ago, and that has caused a lot of controversy.

ML has also spoken her mind on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAulG0cgJVL/?utm_source=ig_embed

The topic aside, it does raise some questions.

Who is Märtha Loiuse?
As a private person she is certainly entitled to comment on such a matter.
As a Norwegian Princess that's a no, no. Not least as it took place outside Norway.

Having read her Instagram account and what it says about her. I personally believe she is within her rights to give her opinion, because there is little to no reference to her being a princess.

I think there will be a lot of people that will have the gut reaction that I did. I see a post on Instagram made by a woman that has spent her life in Norway (leaving out the royal part as it doesn't apply). She's a world away from the mood, the issues and the experiences of living in an environment where inhumanities such as what happened to George Floyd occur. To really understand something, one needs to walk a mile in their shoes to see it clearly.

She means well though. I'll give her that. ?

I saw the George Floyd photos and I could hardly believe my eyes. The weight of that officer's knee on that man's neck, the way the victim's neck was squashed and compressed, the terror in his eyes, and his cries for mercy will haunt me for a long time.

As an American citizen I am bewildered and heartbroken at what is happening to us.:sad:

But while I appreciate ML's input as a person, I hope that she will be cognizant of the fact that anything she says will reflect on the Royal House as well...and exercise caution.

Last edited:
I for one am glad to see a personal reaction from Martha Louise!
Martha Louise has been spending alot of time here in the US so she should be in tune as to how deplorable race relations are here in the US.

More than anything she is currently dating a black man here in the US. The reality is that George Floyd could have been the Shaman. Or just to see the reality of the daily fear black men go through simply by existing has now hit closer to home.

Last edited:
For me ML's message brings some hope in these dark times at the moment as she's someone with a platform who can influence her followers - especially as she's European, and many people in European countries don't see racism as much of a problem as it is across the pond (which isn't necessarily true, it's just not talked about since it's not as systematic as it is in the US).

Back
Top Bottom