Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn are separating: August 5, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not "working into another thread" or are you suggesting Princess Märtha Louise is no royal and her soon ex-husnand is no commoner? Just a factual conclusion. No sarcasm intended.

It is working it into another thread. It's predictable, predictable and predictable.
A divorce is not contingent on people in the marriage being commoners or not. Whether or not people are both high-born or not, religious or not, it is a particular point of view to rather support married couples living estranged or separated, but married on paper, instead of being allowed to divorce and move on with their lives if their relation no longer works.

The Princess and Ari Behn have always been an interesting match, but they clearly went with their hearts and probably gave it their best. A divorce is always sad, but it has no dynastic consequences, and if there are any consequences as a result of it, it could be that the Princess' standing with people is raised from sympathy following this sad end of a relationship I think most Norwegians thought would actually last.

I don't buy into the idea that nobility and commoners can't have a successfull marriage. And of course, if another marriage fails, it will be one between a royal and a commoner, because basically every younger european royal is married to a commoner right now.

And about King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia (who are both born royals) there are rumour that their marriage has turned into a fiction.

King Juan Carlos and queen Sophia are living separated
King Alphonso XIII and queen Victoria of Spain , the King lived at Rome and the queen at Suisse
former king of Italia Umberto of italia lived in Cascais and his former wife Marie José lived at Megeve

Charles of Wales and diana of Wales ( Diana was a lady, daughter of a comte , ) they divoeced
A lot of german persons of noble families divorcess, they are married between noble but their wedding failed like the commoner persons

and so many other noble persons in france, England or elsewhere and it is not a title which avoids a divorce

A Wedding is not only an affaire of love but also an affaire of affection , of supporting each other in all the cases happiness or sadness and a lot of chance

My wedding lasted 40 years , it ended with the death of my husband but I have a lot of freinds who divorced .

King Harald and Sonja- 48th anniversary this year
Margrethe and Henri- 49 years of marriage
Silvia and CG- 40 years of marriage
Henri and MT- 35 years of marriage
Bea and Claus- 36 years, ended by his death
Akihito and Michiko- 57 years

All monarchs who married commoners. Plenty of younger children examples.

It is more a sign of times. Diana shocked royal circles because she didn't turn a blind eye to the cheating of her husband. Many of the older and certainly royal/royal marriages remain because that is just what you did.

Look at
Albert and Paola
JC and Sofia
Caroline and EA

Could I just ask.. the original link of this thread is in norwegian:
kongehuset.no - Går fra hverandre

I tried it in Google translate, and got a relatively good idea of the story, but the part about where Ari Behn is going to live is "Ari Behn will settle in children's Neighborhood" or "Children's community" (depending on which translator i try ;) )
Just to be sure: does it mean to say that he will live near his wife and children (but move out of their current house because Märtha-Louise and the children will live there)? I could imagine it does, but am not trusting online translators too much ;)

Could I just ask.. the original link of this thread is in norwegian:
kongehuset.no - Går fra hverandre

I tried it in Google translate, and got a relatively good idea of the story, but the part about where Ari Behn is going to live is "Ari Behn will settle in children's Neighborhood" or "Children's community" (depending on which translator i try ;) )
Just to be sure: does it mean to say that he will live near his wife and children (but move out of their current house because Märtha-Louise and the children will live there)? I could imagine it does, but am not trusting online translators too much ;)
Yeah, sounds like he's looking for a place to live in the childrens vicinity

Thanks, that does make sense, and hopefully the children can keep a good relationship wiyh both parents...

surprising news indeed. martha louise and ari seemed like a strong couple. i was always skeptical about them (they both seem very 'free souls'), specially at the start, but they looked to me now like an item for life.

martha louise's press release is very intimate and heart felt. i am surprised to see this, as usually royal divorces are short and concise and we usually don't get to hear any thoughts about the royal in question.

interesting quote by ari in the article above: 'Ari Behn said earlier that he and Martha Louise has an open relationship based on trust.
- There is an openness and respect in our relationship. We are allowed to flirt with others, in that respect, we are very free, he told newspaper VG.'

Sexskandalen som chockar norska hovet | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria

indeed, some pictures of him and a blogger with some intimate photos such as this one could only confirm their 'open relationship'.

was their last official outing together during the celebrations for King Carl Gustaf of Sweden's 70th Birthday, on April 30 2016?
Hi, no. The last official outing they had together was the grand tour the Royal family made i june. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of King Haralds reign. Ari convieniently left before family photoshop were tåken, it was Said at the time that he had a private work apointment.But it makes one wonder... I was a bit surprised when the News hit yesterday.I somewhat expected it, but still a bit surprised. When they moved back from London last spring, I thought for sure they were splitting, but then everthing went back to business as usual.. but he has made some strange statesments
..last fall he Said he drank everyday and that he was unhappy..

It is more a sign of times. Diana shocked royal circles because she didn't turn a blind eye to the cheating of her husband. Many of the older and certainly royal/royal marriages remain because that is just what you did.

Look at
Albert and Paola
JC and Sofia
Caroline and EA

Or Bill and Hillary Clinton (not exactly "royalty", but close if they can pull off staying up to 16 years in the White House).

Hi, no. The last official outing they had together was the grand tour the Royal family made i june. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of King Haralds reign. Ari convieniently left before family photoshop were tåken, it was Said at the time that he had a private work apointment.But it makes one wonder... I was a bit surprised when the News hit yesterday.I somewhat expected it, but still a bit surprised. When they moved back from London last spring, I thought for sure they were splitting, but then everthing went back to business as usual.. but he has made some strange statesments

Hmm, quite candid remarks, so maybe not a big surprise after all then...

Thanks for posting, always interesting to get info from within the country itself :flowers:

King Harald and Sonja- 48th anniversary this year
Margrethe and Henri- 49 years of marriage
Silvia and CG- 40 years of marriage
Henri and MT- 35 years of marriage
Bea and Claus- 36 years, ended by his death
Akihito and Michiko- 57 years

All monarchs who married commoners. Plenty of younger children examples.

Look at
Albert and Paola
JC and Sofia
Caroline and EA

i think duc mean that marrying a royal or a commoners have the same chances of being successful or not unlike the lately trend of almost bushing royals from marrying another royal or even noble because it might seems like they are forced in this marriage or look as outdated .
and also henrik was Count Henri de Laborde de Monpezat when he married Margrethe thought it later turned out to be a false title but he was a count when he married
Prince Claus was from the untitled German nobility
and u can look at the marriages of
queen elizabeth and prince philip of greece and denmark who are still together for nearly 70 years
HM Queen Anne-Marie and Constantine II of Greece who are still together for nearly 52 years
Princess Benedikte of Denmark and prince Richard are together for 48 years
Queen Anne of Romania and king Michael marriage lasted 68 etc

Last edited:
Okay, i tried to get this thread back on topic of Märthe-Louise and Ari, but i give up..... :lol:

:hamster:

Well, there have been posters claiming that royals marrying commoners would result in better and endurable marriages since it are choices of the heart and nothing because of tradition or rules. Well, in the meantime we can throw such claims on more endurable marriages to the dustbin. From the first pictures on I knew the coupling of Princess Märtha Louise to Mr Behn would not last and my gut feel has proven me right. I have a similar gut feel about three royal couples. Time will learn.

And of course anyone could announce a divorce now and you'll say you called it even though you never give any names!

Here's hoping that they handle their divorce and after divorce as well as the York's. Love them or hate them, they remain a strong and loving family whose children have grown into well-loved, confident adults. I would wish the same for the Behn family. :flowers:

And about King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia (who are both born royals) there are rumour that their marriage has turned into a fiction.

Always was... in the sense that he was always unfaithful and she turned a blind eye...

thanks for the clarification - i guess we know now better what that 'work apointment' was all about...
the revelations about him drinking everyday are a bit of a giveaway that something wasn't right as it is an unusual thing for a semi-royal to say, but then again he has always been an interesting character.

Experts seem divided between:
- it's not surprising they announced divorce
- it *is* suprising they are divorcing
- it was a surprise they married in the first place

:lol:
they might as well have gotten the content for the article from forums like ours :lol:

So sad. Divorce is massively traumatic for children especially and my heart goes out to them. It doesn't matter how much money etc they have, when the family unit fragments kids really feel it and it's devastating.

Gosh I didn't see this coming , very sad news .

We may not compare divorces !
I totally agree. However, to hope they continue to handle their divorce with dignity and love and their children grow up strong in the love of their parents is not a comparison. It is a hope.

I was surprised to hear the news but not totally shocked,I hope its an amicable divorce seeing as there's children involved.

Ari Behn has been interviewed by Ole Torp for the program ''Torp'' on NRK. I'm watching it on NRK1 now and Ari seems surprisingly quiet so far. He don't want to talk about the divorce, but he talks about his art and his restlessness.

Last edited:
I do not follow NRF regularly. Do you know why ML and Ari were divorced? Who filed for the divorce?

Turn to page 1 of this thread there's plenty of information there.

Back
Top Bottom