Names for Märtha's 3rd baby

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess it will be an unusual name again... :rolleyes: maybe mixed with some traditional names...

Girl:
Sonja (after Queen Sonja)
Dagny (After Märtha's grandmother)
Louise
Anja (after Ari's sister)
Marianne (after Ari's mother)

Boy:
Olav (after King Olav and Ari's father)
Harald
Haakon (to continue the tradition; after King Haakon)

How about Sonja Marianne? Or Harald Olav?

I hope that it's a boy and they name him Olav :) I didn't know Ari's father's name was Olav, and I think if they do have a boy, this will definitely be his first or middle name!

Prince Haakon Harald is nice. But Olav would be nice as it comes from both sides of the family

I don´t think a boy will get the name of a former Norwegian king. THis IMO has to stay in MM´s and Haakon´s family.

Unfortunately, the nwe Norwegian baby will have no title at all. Neither does either of their other children, so I don't see them breaking with that now.

I don´t think a boy will get the name of a former Norwegian king. THis IMO has to stay in MM´s and Haakon´s family.
Haakon is not only the name of the old King and the future King; but also the name of Sonja's brother. So... one never knows if they'll might chose it as 2nd name. ;)

And then it wouldn't be something new if Märtha and Ari would give their baby the name of a former monarch.
Their first daughter's name is Maud. After Queen Maud of Norway. So... everything's possible. :D

Side2 also started to speculate about the name.
Their suggestion:
- Det blir et kreativt navn - Side2
Victoria 5,00
Olav 6,00
Madeleine 8,00
Alexander 8,00
Kristian 8,00
Sara 9,00
Emma 12,00
Henrik 12,00
Oskar 12,00
William 15,00
Vilde 20,00
Nora 20,00
Maja 20,00
Noah 20,00

principessa said:
How about Sonja Marianne? Or Harald Olav?
Sonja Marianne would be lovely. :rolleyes:

Harald Olav sounds a bit too much. I think the name of one King is enough. ;)

According to Seher.no "Olav" would be a very possible name for a boy.
Hva skal barne hete? - SEHER.NO : Norske kongehus

Last edited:
Olav Victor and Lola Sarah

Somehow i think they won't take a name, which in very norwegian/traditional skandinavian. Maud is originally english, Angelica is Latin, Leah from the bible, Isadora- i don't know- sounds italian or spanish to me.
I think they will stick to very unusual
names. The firstname will be quite short (like Maud and Leah)

Girls:
Dagny (Sonja's Mum; possible as second name)
Lola (like
Lola Montez, thinking about names similar to Isadora Duncan )
Sarah (like
Sarah Bernhardt)
Eleonora (like
Eleonora Duse)
Sidonie
Fanny
Vivienne
Lale
Pia

Boy:
Victor
Oscar
Olav (like Maud a traditional name)
Skule
Knut

This is my quess: Olav Victor and Lola Sarah.

since she name her daughter Leah after Princess Leah of star wars. What about Luke or Annikan? dont know if I spell that name correct. not a big star wars fan.

I think that no matter what they name their child, it will be trend setting yet again. I'm hoping for a baby girl Sonja or a baby boy Anders, though.

For a boy I like Soren but I think they will chose an unusual name

I think they will name him Olav Mikael. The reason is both their girls names are four letters (Maud and Leah) and Maud's middle name, Angelica, is eight letters, while Leah's, Isadora, is seven. Mikael is six :)

For a girl, I do like Sonja Marianne.

Last edited:
I think that put together to form most double names, Sonja is an extraordinarily clumsy name in Norwegian. The same goes with Olav and Dagny. (Dagny is, by the way, not really a name you saddle young children with nowadays. It's the name of a parents/grandparents generation.)

Furthermore, with Leah, they proved that you don't have to name the child after their royal/non-royal ancestors. Märtha and Ari can play a bit more with their children's names than Haakon and Mette-Marit can - which is also why I don't believe they'll end up choosing something like Dagny. Old-fashioned names are in at the moment in Norway, but Dagny is one of those names that hasn't really gone up. Kind of like Bertha.

If they're going for the family connection, Josefine/Josephine might be an option - it's represented on both sides of Märtha's family tree. It also works with Angelica & Isadora.

Rebecca Renee would be a nice name for a girl....it is something totally different

For a boy: I would pick Daniel (not sure about the middle name)

Wow! I didn't know she was pregnant. I hope it's a boy... but it's hard to guess what they would name the new baby. Since this couple loves to play with their kid's names :ermm:

Last edited:
Dear, Her_Majesty, as I had post my suggestion for the name of the baby, I had thought to connect the names of the babies grandparents. For the boy (I suggested Harald Olav) I have not thought about his great-grandfather, King Olav, I had thougt of Ari's father.

For girl: Sonja, Alexandra
For boy: Olav, Ingmar, Erik, Harald

You are right. The name of her daughters are not very common. She will not respect traditions for the third baby. I hope this time it will be a boy.

You are right. The name of her daughters are not very common. She will not respect traditions for the third baby. I hope this time it will be a boy.
she respected tradition with her first daughter's name; who got the name of her grand-grand-grand mother Maud.
So, everything's possible.

A Family-based name like Maud.
Or a very uncommon name like Leah Isadora.

*cough* Søren is actually a mild curse-word in Norwegian :whistling: *cough*

Of course there are males called it as well, but I just imagine the punning that will take place in the headlines. :ermm:

Some names based in the Haraldsen-ancestry
Ancestry of Queen Sonja of Norway (b. 1937)
for boys:
Halvor
Johan
Harald
Karl
Olav

I like Olav and Halvor!
(although I have to think of Halvard Hanevold everytime I hear the name :D )

for Girls:
Josephine
Marie
Anne Sophie
Gry
Sonja
Anne
Ragnhild

Marie and Josephine sound lovely.

Last edited:
For a boy I like Erik Haakon or Olav Halvor, for a girl Liv Sofie :wub: or Dagny Josephine. I like also the names Sonja Marianne but I think it will be something special.

For a girl, Anna Elisabeth. I think it would go so well with their two daughters.

Maud Angelica, Leah Isadora and Anna Elisabeth.

For a boy, its got to be Olav Harald.

For a girl I like:
Malena Caroline
Kaia Elisabeth

For a boy I like:
Emil Sebastin
Matias Nikolai

Beck, I really like Anna Elisabeth, but i would love Sofia for a girl as well. Somehow i think it would be more like Jessica or something. :D
Jessica Sofia sounds sweet. :wub:

For a boy i really think it will be Olav or Victor for some reason.

If a girl, Sonja Ragnhil. If a boy Olaf Halvor :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

I Like
For A Boy: Erik Haakon
Or Ari
For Girl : Martha Louise
Or Astrid

Back
Top Bottom