Märtha and Ari in New York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacqueline

Courtier
A princess in New York

Princess Märtha Louise and author husband Ari Behn will be moving to Manhattan in the autumn, for an undetermined length of time. The couple, who are expecting their first child just after Easter, are hoping for a quiet, anonymous life in the urban crowds.

The pair conceived the idea of a move to New York after they visited Manhattan on their honeymoon. With both of them deeply tied to the cultural scene, the pulse and scope of the metropolis proved irresistible.
The princess and her husband have not decided how long they will stay in Manhattan, saying they will just see how things go. They are looking forward to life as parents there.

"I have never seen so many baby carriages anywhere. In Manhattan a child is not a hindrance, there is hardly a place in the world where babies can have such a sophisticated life as on the upper East side with a view to Central Park," Märtha Louise told Aftenposten in an exclusive interview, though their new address has not yet been decided.

One thing the couple have decided is that the baby's family name will be Behn, since, as the princess remarked "I don't have a surname."

The couple's parents have been informed about the move and approve, and there are no fears about losing touch with the coming grandchild. They will all be invited to visit and long return trips to Norway for summer holidays and Christmas celebrations are also planned.

The spring will be busy for both - Ari Behn has a novel due for delivery before Easter and the princess has a less exact delivery date, with late April-early May the likely time for the birth. In the meantime Ari is taking a course to be as useful as possible during the birth.

"I always thought the pregnancy would be miraculous, and it is while at the same time being so natural. But it is good that it takes some time, even if I feel very ready to become a father," Behn said.

The princess looked back on her first year as a 'private princess', after she surrendered the title of "Her Royal Highness" and her annuity in order to pursue a career.

The recurring debate about her continuing official roles and her work, often involving public performance promoting culture and the arts, is a natural result, and she is not afraid of a new round of arguments when her tax statement is made public.

"I am used to there being attention focused on me. That I pay tax, and that there is greater openness around the royal family's activities, is a art of the modernization of the monarchy," the princess said.

The couple say they can handle the media glare and even find some of the fuss entertaining, but admit that it is harder when the stories have little basis in reality.

The princess said that she had faith in the public's judgment, and believed that tabloid tales of their extravagant lifestyle would not convince readers who knew better. As an example, Behn points out a pair of bathing trunks he bought in Bali for NOK 60 (USD 8.50) which a gossip magazine reported as costing NOK 2700.

Given the tastes and pressures that make up the life of this royal couple, an extended stay in the teeming, stimulating streets of Manhattan have an understandable attraction to a pair that could welcome being lost in the crowd.

Article From: Aftenposten

Wow! Thanks for the article, Jacqueline! An interesting choice for Martha Louise and Ari. I can see them enjoying New York but to move so early in their marriage...especially after the birth of their first child. I wonder why New York and not London, for instance. New York is very "happening" on the artistic front, but London is closer to family and friends. Perhaps, life is not as easy in Norway, for Martha Louise, since she married Ari? This is all complete speculation on my part. Could Ari be getting tired of being "Mr. Princess Martha-Louise"? :unsure: New York would be neutral ground. Any ideas? :question:

www.hellomagazine.com/

6 FEBRUARY 2003
Norway's Princess Martha Louise has announced that she and her husband Ari Behn plan to move to New York this Autumn, just months after their first-born's birth around Easter. Having spent their honeymoon in the American city, the two say the Big Apple is the perfect place for their growing family.

"I have never seen so many baby carriages anywhere," said Martha Louise, speaking to Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten. "In Manhattan a child is not a hindrance, there is hardly a place in the world where babies can have such a sophisticated life as on the upper East side with a view to Central Park."

With Crown Prince Haakon and his wife Mette-Marit studying in London, the move means that both of King Harald and Queen Sonja's children will be living abroad.

In the meantime, Ari, who releases a new novel in the coming months, is adjusting to the idea of being a dad. "I always thought the pregnancy would be miraculous, and it is, while at the same time being so natural," he says, adding: "But it is good that it takes some time, even if I feel ready to become a father."

Though waiting for a new arrival brings its share of unknowns, there's one thing that has been decided. The baby will be a Behn, because, as Martha Louise points out: "I don't have a surname."

I found this article at www.aftenposten.no today. I don't have time to do a full translation right now, but basically it says that Martha and Ari are postponing their planned move to New York until after the birth of Mette-Marit and Haakon's baby in January....

Märtha og Ari utsetter USA-opphold

Prinsesse Märtha Louise og Ari Behn utsetter det planlagte oppholdet i New York til kronprinsparet får sitt barn.

Märtha og Ari hadde opprinnelig planlagt å flytte til USA sammen med datteren Maud Angelica til høsten, men velger nå å utsette oppholdet til etter at kronprinsesse Mette-Marits har nedkommet. Kronprinsessen, som skal føde på Rikshospitalet, har termin 22. januar neste år.

- De ønsker å være her i Norge i høst og frem til fødselen finner sted. De synes det er hyggelig å være i nærheten, sier Slottets informasjonssjef Wenche Rasch til NTB.

Märtha Louise og Ari Behn fortalte tidligere i vinter at de hadde lyst til å leve storbylivet i New York og at de drømte om tilværelsen som liten kjernefamilie i den multikulturelle byen. I et intervju med Aftenposten avslørte de to at det var kunsten, kulturen, menneskene og miljøene som fristet og sa at de var sikre på at byens livsglede og puls ville inspirere til videre utvikling og arbeid.

(NTB)

Martha and Ari's USA move posponed

Princess M-L and Ari Behn are postponing thier planned move to New York until the Crown couple give birth.

Martha and Ari had planned to move to the U.S. together with their daughter Maud Angelica, but then decided to postpone the move until Crown Princess Mette-Marit has her child. The crown princess, who will give birth at Rikshospitalet, is due on January 22 of next year.

The Palace chief of information Wenche Rasche informed NTC that they would stay in Norway. (Somethin' about how it's a shame that they would be in the news).

Martha Louise and Ari Behn have dreamed to move to New York where their small family can be in the multicultural city.

Har har, I'm really bad at this, someone wanna' offer a better translation? I'm one of those Swedish-speaking people who think they can translate Norwegian. Ha ha. :yuk: Wow... :innocent: But, I got the general point. :shock:

Originally posted by moosey60@Aug 4th, 2003 - 7:44 pm
Har har, I'm really bad at this, someone wanna' offer a better translation? I'm one of those Swedish-speaking people who think they can translate Norwegian. Ha ha. :yuk: Wow... :innocent: But, I got the general point. :shock:
You've done a wonderful job, moosey60. :clap: Much better than I could ever hope to! Very informative. Nice that Martha Louise and Ari Behn and Maud Angelica will stay on until Haakon and Mette-Marit's baby is born so that they can meet their new niece and cousin.

Does anyone know how long Martha Louise and Ari plan on living in New York City? They can't live there forever can they? I'm sure they'll be back for holidays, but I can't imagine Norway being without the presence of Martha Louise and Ari. :( And once they move to the States there'll undoubtedly be less press attention on the couple and little Maud as there has been with Infanta Elena and her family when they all moved to New York. More anonymity for the royals but less spottings for us royal watchers. :(

Hey Moosey60! I think you did a GREAT job translating the article I posted :) Much better than I can do going from Swedish to English...

When I posted it I was running late for a tennis match and felt bad for not translating but you saved the day! Thanks!!

:woot: :blink: Oh? Well, I'm glad that you understood it. Merci beaucoup! :flower: Yay!

Märtha and Ari postpone move
Av: Hanne Dankertsen 05. aug 08:42

Norwegian Princess Märtha Louise and her husband Ari Behn are postponing their planned move to New York until Maud Angelica's cousin has arrived.

Märtha and Ari had planned to move to the US this autumn with newborn daughter Maud Angelica but are postponing the move as their sister-in law, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, is expecting a baby, according to NTB.
The Crown Princess's baby is due on 22 January and she is planning to give birth at hospital Rikshospitalet in Oslo.

«They want to stay at home until The Crown Princess's baby is born, as they would like to be near the family», said head of information at the Royal Norwegian Palace, Wenche Rasch.

Märtha and Ari said earlier this winter that they fancied living an urban life in New York and that they were dreaming about life as a little family in the multicultural city.

The couple revealed in an interview with Aftenposten that it is the art, culture, people and environments in New York that tempt them and that they are certain that the vitality and pulse of the city will inspire them in their own work.

That seems like a lame excuse--they have jet service between New York and Norway, don't they?

Originally posted by Bubbette@Aug 11th, 2003 - 2:40 pm
That seems like a lame excuse--they have jet service between New York and Norway, don't they?
why do you think they are waiting to move to New York.
Are there more to it then be there for her brother and Mette-Marit?

There might be more to it, but the only thing that I can think of is the security threat (war with IRAQ and the possibilty of future terrorist attaks in the US)to the royal couple living in New York . Or Perphaps they want to wait until Ari's book has been in circulation for a while... who knows at this point.

raven

Originally posted by ravenprincess@Aug 20th, 2003 - 4:27 pm

There might be more to it, but the only thing that I can think of is the security threat (war with IRAQ and the possibilty of future terrorist attaks in the US)to the royal couple living in New York . Or Perphaps they want to wait until Ari's book has been in circulation for a while... who knows at this point.

raven
If they have no pressing reason to move to New York (ie. a starting date for a job), why not delay? When I travel home, I prefer to stay as long as possible, usually upwards of a month. Perhaps they have just decided that it is more efficient to stay where they are a little longer than to go through the agony of moving only to return to Norway in six months time.

Also, I think that ravenprincess might be on to something with the book suggestion. An author hoping to publicize their latest work doesn't usually do so by skipping the country... and I doubt it will be published in the U.S.

Norwegian Princess Märtha Louise and her husband Ari Behn are postponing their planned move to New York until Maud Angelica's cousin has arrived.

Märtha and Ari had planned to move to the US this autumn with newborn daughter Maud Angelica but are postponing the move as their sister-in law, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, is expecting a baby, according to NTB.
The Crown Princess's baby is due on 22 January and she is planning to give birth at hospital Rikshospitalet in Oslo.

«They want to stay at home until The Crown Princess's baby is born, as they would like to be near the family», said head of information at the Royal Norwegian Palace, Wenche Rasch.

Märtha and Ari said earlier this winter that they fancied living an urban life in New York and that they were dreaming about life as a little family in the multicultural city. The couple revealed in an interview with Aftenposten that it is the art, culture, people and environments in New York that tempt them and that they are certain that the vitality and pulse of the city will inspire them in their own work.

I believe this article explains everything clearly about Martha and Ari's postponing their move to the US. And no the book Ari is writing won't be published in the US, the book is being published by a small company in Norway.

Princess Märtha Louise and husband Ari Behn postpone their planned move to New York - until further notice.

During King Harald's illness and recovery Princess Märtha Louise will represent the royal house on official occasions more often than planned.

Official press release 3.12.2003 :

Prinsesse Märtha Louise utsetter flytting

Prinsesse Märtha Louise og Ari Behn har i samråd med Kongehuset bestemt seg for å utsette flytting til New York, inntil videre.

I Kongens sykdomsperiode og under rekonvalesensen vil Prinsesse Märtha Louise i større grad enn planlagt representere Kongehuset ved offisielle anledninger.

i am wondering if they ever will move to New York...
what do you think?

Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 3rd, 2003 - 9:05 am
i am wondering if they ever will move to New York...
what do you think?
Good thought, Josefine! I'm starting to think something will always come up just as Martha Louise, Ari and Maud are all packed up and ready to head State-side! This is of course a most unfortunate reason for Martha Louise and family to have to be staying in Norway, the last one being more exciting, but it is nice to see her helping out more. More great opportunities for us royal watchers!

when they move for how long will they be away
i have heard that they wanted their baby girl go to school in norway
and when will they move in in thier new house and where do they live now?

I always thought the move to NY was strange. It seemed unkind to move away from the family so soon after the birth of the King's first grandchild.

Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 3rd, 2003 - 9:24 am
when they move for how long will they be away
i have heard that they wanted their baby girl go to school in norway
and when will they move in in thier new house and where do they live now?
They wanted Maud Angelica to go to school in Norway, so it's not supposed to be a permanent settlement in New York.

But it seems reasonable for Princess Martha Louise to take on more duties as her father is ill, and her brother wants to have more time for
his family upon the arrival of the new baby.

I suppose that she will be compensated for her work, as she doesn't get any support directly from the list anymore, but via her father when she represents.

They postpone their planned move until further notice. The King is sheduled to be well again from the operation (and recovery) in mid-March. Then comes the Easter-holiday and perhaps the christening of the new heir in late spring/early summer. I am quite certain Princess Märtha-Louise will be named one of the godmothers. The couple probably won't be able to move until the summer-vacation.

that true!

Princess Martha and her husband cant moved away from her parents because her dad is SO illness! she would worried about her dad have cancer she would stay in Norway she would have lots duty to do and she will visit her dad when he is illness and her brother will takes place for her dad's roles like that! that serious job!

Sara Boyce

Did she move to New York? Does she still take part in Royal Duties?

Sorry...I think I just emailed you accidentally. I don't think she lives in New York City, but I read somewhere she was going to be moving here.

I think she was originally going to move here last fall...I am anxious to see where she chooses to live.

Their move to NY was postponed due to the King's illness, and the arrival of Princess Ingrid Alexandra.

Ari Behn has confirmed that they do intend to move there this fall.

Back
Top Bottom