The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2003, 11:39 AM
Courtier

Birth of Maud Angelica Behn: April 29, 2003

Actually, I think they said her due date was either April or May. They weren't sure at the beginning. I haven't heard which month it is exactly. Other places say it's just the spring. I would not be surprised if she had twins and if they were early.

Old 04-04-2003, 04:18 AM
Majesty

VG Nett article about Martha Louise.

The article is in Norwegian so I'm not sure all it says. According to it, Martha's due date remains just April/May. I believe that she will be spending Easter in Lillehammer but will be within minutes of a hospital.

Can anyone translate? Please? :)

www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=54319

Old 04-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Majesty

Princess drops family gynecologist

Princess Martha Louise will not have her baby delivered by the traditional royal physician at Norway's National Hospital, Professor Babill Stray-Pedersen. Stray-Pedersen had medical responsibility for the princess' pregnancy until February

No one at the National Hospital would comment on the reasons behind the break between the princess and the world-renowned professor, but a likely cause is a disagreement over the extent of natural as opposed to traditional the birth would be.

"I can confirm that I and the chief midwife at the Women's Clinic will be present for the birth of Princess Martha Louise's child," said Professor Thomas Abyholm, head of the Women's Clinic. Medical director Tore Henriksen is also to be present.

Abyholm told Aftenposten that Stray-Pedersen and the princess had reached the decision by agreement.

"The only thing I can say is that this is not dramatic and there is no special reason for the decision," Abyhold said.

There have been media reports that the princess was planning an alternative birth using the Rosen Method, and that doctors were not to be present - but doctors are not present during non-problematic births in Norway anyway.

The princess is due to deliver at the end of the month or early May, and is planning to spend the Easter holidays with her husband Ari Behn in Lillehammer.

"If the birth starts during the princess' Ester holiday, a medical evaluation will be taken about whether she should give birth at Lillehammer's Innlandet Hospital or be taken to the National Hospital (in Oslo)," said Tore Henriksen.

Stray-Pedersen has been gynecologist to Queen Sonja, Crown Princess Mette-Marit as well as Princess Martha Louise.

Aftenposten's Norwegian reporter

My Webpage
Old 04-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I read on another message board that Princess Martha Louise will have her baby by the Rosen Method - an alternative form of managing pain. Princess Martha Louise and her mother-in-law have both practiced this kind of method before, from my understanding.

This seems to fit in with the Princess' personality - a holistic approach to things rather than a stricly medicinal one.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:22 AM
Majesty

article from www.aftenposten.no

Princess Martha Louise will not have her baby delivered by the traditional royal physician at Norway's National Hospital, Professor Babill Stray-Pedersen. Stray-Pedersen had medical responsibility for the princess' pregnancy until February.

No one at the National Hospital would comment on the reasons behind the break between the princess and the world-renowned professor, but a likely cause is a disagreement over the extent of natural as opposed to traditional the birth would be.

"I can confirm that I and the chief midwife at the Women's Clinic will be present for the birth of Princess Martha Louise's child," said Professor Thomas Abyholm, head of the Women's Clinic. Medical director Tore Henriksen is also to be present.

Abyholm told Aftenposten that Stray-Pedersen and the princess had reached the decision by agreement.

"The only thing I can say is that this is not dramatic and there is no special reason for the decision," Abyhold said.

There have been media reports that the princess was planning an alternative birth using the Rosen Method, and that doctors were not to be present - but doctors are not present during non-problematic births in Norway anyway.

The princess is due to deliver at the end of the month or early May, and is planning to spend the Easter holidays with her husband Ari Behn in Lillehammer.

"If the birth starts during the princess' Ester holiday, a medical evaluation will be taken about whether she should give birth at Lillehammer's Innlandet Hospital or be taken to the National Hospital (in Oslo)," said Tore Henriksen.

Stray-Pedersen has been gynecologist to Queen Sonja, Crown Princess Mette-Marit as well as Princess Martha Louise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	4627  
Old 04-21-2003, 04:24 AM
Majesty

article from www.aftenposten.no

Norway's King Harald has decided that the soon-due baby of Princess Martha Louise and Ari Behn will not have a royal title, even though it will join the order of accession to the throne.

Princess Martha and author husband Behn are expecting their first child at the end of April or early May.

When the big event takes place, the first person outside of the family to receive the news will be President of the Storting (Parliament), Jorgen Kosmo.

After this, Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik, chief Justice of the Supreme Court Tore Schei, Oslo bishop Gunnar Staalsett, the Defense and royalty in Europe will be notified, according to a press release from the palace.

The Norwegian flag will be flown at public buildings on the day of the birth or the day after, but the baby's birthday will not become a public flag day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	4628  
Old 04-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Majesty

Royal baby watch continues

Princess Martha Louise is due to deliver a new royal heir any day now, and the whole family has freed up schedules to be on call for the big event. No official appearances are planned until Constitution Day on May 17.

The princess and her husband, Ari Behn, spent last week's Easter holiday with King Harald and Queen Sonja at a royal residence in Lillehammer. They all posed for photos and the princess hinted she was getting a bit impatient.

"I hope the baby comes soon now, I'm looking forward to it," she said. "That is, we're looking forward to it."

The king and queen attended Easter Sunday church services in Lillehammer, and newspaper VG reported Monday that both Martha Louise and Ari Behn intended to join them. But the princess reportedly didn't feel well and they traveled home to Oslo instead.

"The princess and Ari Behn chose to end their Easter vacation on Sunday," royal spokesperson Wenche Rasch told VG. "There's nothing dramatic about that. The princess is in fine form and the birth has not begun."

The couple isn't staying in the princess' flat on Professor Dahl's Gate in Oslo. It's believed they're staying at the Royal Palace in Oslo.

Aftenposten English Web Desk
Old 04-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Majesty

Oslo, 22.04.2003:
According to the magazine Se og Hör, the Princess was in good mood when she arrived by car at Rikshospitalet yesterday at 12 o'clock. The Princess arrived the hospital together with her husbond Ari Behn and her secretary Mari Sörli. But she did not need to stay in hospital this time...40 minutes later the three of them came back outside. - This was just a rutine control, the Princess said smiling before she got in the car to drive back to Professor Dahlsgt in Oslo, where she and Ari have spent most of their time since getting back from Lillehammer last Sunday.

Photo: Marius Gulliksrud/Se og Hör/All Over Press Norway

Photo: Se og Hör/All Over Press Norway

Photo: Se og Hör/All Over Press Norway
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA4HUJGX.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	4754   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAVFSOFE.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	4755   Click image for larger version

Name:	CACVVYRL.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	4756  
Old 04-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Courtier

She was admitted about an hour and a half ago.

Here's the link to Aftenposten's article.

Link: Article
Old 04-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the update Sylvia! :)

I can't wait for the official annoucement.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:40 PM
Courtier

The queen is on her way to Oslo from London. The king arrived in Oslo earlier because he had an official engagement yesterday or today.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Majesty

Birth 20:10: Maud Angelica.

Congratulations to the happy parents!
Old 04-29-2003, 03:16 PM
Majesty

Just read it in VG nett & Aftenposten. I believe it says ML delivered at 20:10 Oslo time. She will be named Maud Angelica. Great news.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Majesty

I hope Crown Princess Victoria will be asked to be a godmother for the girl...
Old 04-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Josefine for the great news! I figured I would hear the news first on this board! I've been glued to my computer screen since lunchtime when I heard that Martha Louise had gone into labour.

I don't know about the name Maud. Maud Behn doesn't seem to roll off the tongue very easily. Although Angelica is very beautiful. Perhaps they will call her by her middle name.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Majesty

Here is the article from Aftenposten in English.

It's a girl!

Norway's Princess Martha Louise delivered a baby girl at the country's National Hospital (Rikshospitalet) in Oslo Tuesday night. The baby, named Maud Angelica Behn, automatically becomes third in line to inherit the throne.

The princess, age 31, and her husband, author Ari Behn, were said to be thrilled and relieved after their daughter arrived shortly after 8pm. The couple married just last May and had said all along that they wanted children.

Wenche Rasch of the Royal Palace told Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) that mother and child were doing fine. She had no immediate vital statistics to reveal about the child , "because in these modern times, the child shall rest on the mother's stomach for awhile before being measured."

Rasch said King Harald and Queen Sonja were expected to come visit their first grandchild Wednesday morning. The queen was on her way home to Oslo after a weekend trip to London, where Crown Prince Haakon lives and studies with his wife, Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

The baby, named for her paternal great-grandmother, the late Queen Maud, is the first royal heir to be born in Norway since Crown Prince Haakon made his entrance in July 1973.

A congratulatory protocol was due to be set out at the Royal Palace in Oslo on Wednesday and would be available for signing from 11am to 3pm.

The royal birth was also due to be marked by a military salute from Akershus Castle. All public buildings will fly the flag, although the baby's birthday will not become a national flag day.

The baby won't be granted a royal title either, unless her uncle, Crown Prince Haakon, dies without an heir of his own.

Aftenposten English Web Desk
Nina Berglund
Old 04-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Majesty

Thanks Josefine!

I appreciate it. :) As for your suggestion for Godmother. I too hope that Victoria is chosen since she and Martha are very good friends.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Courtier

I wouldn't be surprised if Princess Alexandra zu-Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg is asked to be a godmother. Märtha Louise was a godmother to her son Richard. Does the royal house of Norway have a tradition of when the baby is christened? In the Danish royal house I think it's three months after the baby is born. Nikolai was born in August and baptised in November and Felix was born in July and baptised in October.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I meant to add in my earlier post that that was a very quick birth for Martha Louise, espescially considering it was her first baby, too. It took my mom 18 hours to deliver me (I was the first). The record in our family is my aunt Lanie, who took only 3 hours to deliver my baby cousin - though this was her fourth baby.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:03 PM
Majesty

Picture & Caption from Aftenposten.

FOTO: ØRN BORGEN: Gylden halvmeter. Ari Behn viser frem de 50 centimetrene Maud Angelica målte da han ble født.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115984a.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2364