Edinburgh Family Picture Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We see almost no photos of Lady Louise. Though come to think of it, Princess Anne allowed few public photos of her children when they were growing up.

Last edited:
22 September 2003
The Countess of Wessex visited the Peckham Settlement in South London to open the All Nations Nursery unit.
She took over as patron from the late Princess Margaret. Unveiling a plaque today, Sophie said: 'It is a great honour for me to continue the work that Princess Margaret carried out. (Photo by Ian Jones/ROTA/Getty Images)
Getty Images (8)

17 May 2003
The Earl and Countess at the Royal Windsor Horse Show
Getty Images (10)

14 November 2003
Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex addressed the press regarding the birth of his daughter, who was born on 8 November.
Getty Images (8)

19 November 2003
The Earl and Countess leave the hospital with Lady Louise
Getty Images (6)

Last edited:
24 May 2004
The Countess visited St. Mary's Hospital in London to meet meningitis patients.
Getty Images (14)

21 June 2004
The Countess opened the "Friendship House" hostel (owned by the London Hostels Association), Southwark, London
Getty Images (10)

9 September 2004
The Earl and Countess attended a Tom Jones concert in Lisbon, Portugal during their inaugural visit to Alochete. Just before the concert, the royal couple opened the "Freeport" fashion store, the single largest UK retail investment outside the UK.
Getty Images (28)

2-4 November 2004
The Earl and Countess visited Poland.
Getty Images (23)

10 December 2004
The Countess attended the BT Childline Awards, BT Tower, London
Getty Images (17)

Last edited:

20 January 2005
The Countess paid a birthday visit to Collingwood College in Camberley, Surrey to open a new sixth form centre. It was her 40th birthday.
Getty Images (20)

10 February 2005
The Countess visited the Breast Cancer Haven Centre in London on the occasion of its fifth anniversary.
Getty Images (12)

29 September 2005
The Countess visited the neo-natal unit at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London
Getty Images (9)

13 October 2005
The Countess attended the "Seeing is Believing" reception at the Royal Academy of the Arts to mark World Sight Day. HRH is Patron of the "Vision 20/20: The Right to Sight" charity.
Getty Images (6)

9 November 2005
The Countess attended the Dyslexia Institute Awards Dinner at the Dorchester Hotel, London.
Getty Images (22)

Here are some pics of young Edward, I remember how much
he was criticised for doing things like in the second and third
pic, playing at a theatre and so on..

Edward 1

Edward 2

Edward 3

Here is a pic of the only painting the Countess of Wessex has ever sat for. Edward and Sophie don't normally sit for artists, but the Queen Alexander Nursing Corps was adament that they wanted a painting. Here it is. I'm interested to know what you guys think of it. It was painted a while back. I personally don't like it at all, it seems all wrong, from Sophie's outfit and hair to the composition of the painting itself. I expect that something is missing on the chair.

QARANC Association

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow that really is not a very flattering portrait, the Countess is barely recognisable. I think perhaps they should have had her sit instead of standing and I’m not sure her purse is really necessary. The entire thing, like you said, just seems all wrong.

I never noticed the handbag, right why have a handbag in a portrait?

I like it but I agree about the evening bag. I love that tiara her wedding I think and the outfit I am sure she used to wear the top with pants so I have never seen it with a skirt or gown.

I agree with all of you the painting does not seem right at all.And then she did
not need the handbag in the portait for crying out loud.Thanks for the pictures of Sophia and Edward they truly are a beautiful couple.

Perhaps the artist wanted to give the impression that the Countess was just pausing for a moment while on her way out for an evening engagement. That's the "feeling" that I picked up from it. Was she pregnant when this portrait was done? She looks a little thick around the middle. Not a great portrait, in my opinion.
I never noticed the handbag, right why have a handbag in a portrait?

I think the painting is nice--I think the chair fabric could have been more complimentary to Sophie's gown. Also, that tiara looks better in the portrait than it does in photos. It looks softer and more proportioned. I don't care for the handbag, but the hair is the problem. Had she worn it up it the portrait would looked more formal, and I think it would have had a better effect.

Yes, tiaras and dangling hair don't work together well.:flowers:

I think the painting is nice--I think the chair fabric could have been more complimentary to Sophie's gown. Also, that tiara looks better in the portrait than it does in photos. It looks softer and more proportioned. I don't care for the handbag, but the hair is the problem. Had she worn it up it the portrait would looked more formal, and I think it would have had a better effect.

In the portrait, Sophie looks as if she has a bitter taste in her mouth, imo.

9 November 2005
The Countess attended the Dyslexia Institute Awards Dinner at the Dorchester Hotel, London.
Getty Images (22)

With all due respect to the Countess, this red dress must be forgotten. Let's hope she was just in a rush from the swimming pool at Buckingham Palace and remembered she was due at an event...

It would be great if it wasn't partially see-through

Another charming royal couple. It´s a shame the children are kept so much offn the puvlic´s eyes, even though I can understand their motives.

If James and Louise were known as Prince James and Princess Louise, we'd probably see more of them than we do. The nation has more of a sense of ownership and a right to pictures of those children than the children who don't have a Royal style. At least, that's what it seems like to me. I think that Edward and Sophie are making the right decision in keeping the young Wessexes out of the spotlight. Although they likely won't be able to walk down the street completely unrecognized, they'll have had a reasonably private childhood.

I remember read somewhere that the children are only known by their current titles but they still are both a prince and princess of Great Britain, something about their parents not signing a declaration of some sort or something to that effect. So technically when they come of age they can choose to be titled as a prince/ss of Great Britain.

We have a thread where the titles of the Wessex children are discussed, here.

I agree I like these photos of her the last two I had not seen before and wonder if they were not taken in the old offices of RJ-H. She did a HELLO shoot then as I recall. But the one on the table isn't very business like not saucey either so I am not sure if I am correct there anyway that isn't the point they are great and thaks for that.

I thought that the pink dress shot was rather unusual as well.:)

I agree I like these photos of her the last two I had not seen before and wonder if they were not taken in the old offices of RJ-H. She did a HELLO shoot then as I recall. But the one on the table isn't very business like not saucey either so I am not sure if I am correct there anyway that isn't the point they are great and thaks for that.

i guess it was about 1999 because hello did so much brochures with pics about her then. i ve some mags and there are those photos... you remember those on a sofa and near a column? wonder where they were taken :)

Pictures of Viscount Severn and Lady Louise

Does anyone have some good pics of James, Viscount Severn and Lady Louise Windsor. I always have trouble finding good pics of those two, so please submit any you have.:flowers:

There have been some recent photos at Trooping the Colour and the 10th anniversary of their parents' wedding. They should be in the current events section for the parents, I think.

Back
Top Bottom