The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree iluvbertie about children of the eldest child only having titles. I think that is what will happen someday. I feel Charles will explain this to William and he or William will make new LP explaining this. It would naturally slim down the amount of HRH's the BRF has.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Serene Highness

Well for crying out loud, I hope so! This is way too complicated. There needs to be a change and I am so looking forward to it. This sexist thing and not wanting titles for children is rediculous. If children are born then let them have their titles. They are a part of the BRF no matter what. Whether they are male, female or anything in between should not matter. I just hope someone changes this title issue in the future before I go completely bonkers trying to figure it out! K. Im done ranting.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Well for crying out loud, I hope so! This is way too complicated. There needs to be a change and I am so looking forward to it. This sexist thing and not wanting titles for children is rediculous. If children are born then let them have their titles. They are a part of the BRF no matter what. Whether they are male, female or anything in between should not matter. I just hope someone changes this title issue in the future before I go completely bonkers trying to figure it out! K. Im done ranting.
If Louise and James were using their HRH style then in years to come they would be in the same predicament as Beatrice and Eugenie, who are now becoming of the age where they need to work to earn money. They have to do this as the general public refuse to pay for them as they don't feel they do anything for the BRF, even though we know they do engagements etc. I think Edward and Sophie did well in deciding their children should not be HRH's as they knew the trouble it would likely cause in the future. I think that they should do it like the Netherland's and Norway (I believe) - the children of the son's of the Monarch, other than the heir, are called Count's and Countess's.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Serene Highness

Yeah, the whole thing needs tidied up in a formal way ie with new letters patent. I think that if the Queen dosn't do this then Charles will. If it were me I would make Beatrice and Eugenie Ladies and Lady Louise and her brother's existing titles would formally be the only ones they held. I would also give Harry's children the same with only William and Kates being HRH. That would make it all nice and tidy LOL!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

i'd like to think, on that far distant day hopefully when Edward and Sophie become Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, that Louise and james will then be Princess Louise and Prince James of Edinburgh. I too don't like a slimmed down monarchy.

On another note didn't Sophie look stunning at the Dr Who/Buckingham Palace reception; I don't think I've rarely seen her look better.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Yeah, the whole thing needs tidied up in a formal way ie with new letters patent. I think that if the Queen dosn't do this then Charles will. If it were me I would make Beatrice and Eugenie Ladies and Lady Louise and her brother's existing titles would formally be the only ones they held. I would also give Harry's children the same with only William and Kates being HRH. That would make it all nice and tidy LOL!
I prefer the idea of Harry's children being Lords and Ladies. I agree that Beatrice and Eugenie should be made Ladies but that wont happen. Charles will likely create new LP's stating only the eldest child (male or female) and their children shall enjoy the style of Royal Highness. He will not, however, make it retrospective thus the York sisters will still retain their Royal Highness title.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Age has nothing to do with her being royal. Lady Louise will be royal all her life, whether she chooses to use the title Princess might be up to her when she turns 18.
According to the 1917 Letters patent, children of the Sovereign and grandchildren of the sovereign in the male line are HRH Prince or Princess, as well as the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. The Queen issued a new LP to give the HRH and title of Prince or princess to the children of the Duke of Cambridge. (All would have been upgraded automatically when Charles became king.)

At the time of the marriage, and reiterated when Louise was born, it was announced that Edward's children would be styled as children of an earl. Louise and James are technically royal, but not styled as such. It is not a choice. At age 18, Louise will not be able to say hey, I want to use the HRH and title Princess. Not going to happen. This was a decision made by the Queen and the Wessexes. Eventually, the children will have the title and rank of a duke's children ... after the death of the Duke of Edinburgh and the succession of Charles III - will Charles be able to create a new Duke of Edinburgh title for Edward. If the Duke dies before the queen, Charles succeeds according to the 1947 LP. Philip's male heirs. It will be a new creation for Edward.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneKoenig View Post

At the time of the marriage, and reiterated when Louise was born, it was announced that Edward's children would be styled as children of an earl. Louise and James are technically royal, but not styled as such. It is not a choice. At age 18, Louise will not be able to say hey, I want to use the HRH and title Princess. Not going to happen. This was a decision made by the Queen and the Wessexes. Eventually, the children will have the title and rank of a duke's children ... after the death of the Duke of Edinburgh and the succession of Charles III - will Charles be able to create a new Duke of Edinburgh title for Edward. If the Duke dies before the queen, Charles succeeds according to the 1947 LP. Philip's male heirs. It will be a new creation for Edward.
Was it though? Because my interpretation is that Edward and Sophie requested their children be styled as that of an Earl and The Queen allowed this to happen. Have they been stripped of their birthright? Has a new LP been issued? Has anyone concretely said they cannot be known as Prince and Princess in the future when they come to understand their situation?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they will, I just don't think the option has been entirely deprived from them.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Majesty

There is one interpretation that is that is required is for the Queen's will to be made known - that LPs etc aren't needed - and if that interpretation is correct then they have been deprived of the right to be HRH Prince/Princess.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There is one interpretation that is that is required is for the Queen's will to be made known - that LPs etc aren't needed - and if that interpretation is correct then they have been deprived of the right to be HRH Prince/Princess.
So, in that scenario The Queen's say so could deprive anyone of their titles yes? No written law would be necessary at all?

Is The Queen's will approving something her son wishes for his children despite the fact she might not have wanted it?

I hate to complicate the situation but, if this was to be a permanent thing surely LPs could have been done just like they were for the Cambridges.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

further to Lumutqueen's question/point

Is it a case that LPs must be issued to create a new title - as with the Cambridges, but not required if something is not to be used or taken away (as possibly with the Wessexes) ?

And is it that in reality no one knows re the Wessexes

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

LPs don't have to be issued to have something not used - they weren't issued to make Camilla not use Princess of Wales - but it's debatable whether or not they have to be issued for a title to be taken away.

Personally, I think this was done so as to be deliberately vague on the issue so that if the Wessexes ever change their mind on the matter, Louise or James could end up using the higher titles without a public uproar. As it stands now, with us being able to debate the matter, If Louise went to her Granny and said she wanted to be a Princess then the Queen could make an announcement that it is her will that Louise be known as a Princess, because of course she always was one - and the fact that this debate has been going on for the past 10 years means that we can't really say she wasn't a Princess.

As for whether or not it's simply sexism that the Phillips don't have titles while the Wessexes and Yorks do, I disagree. For starters, it isn't sexism because when Mark Phillips was offered a title he turned it down. That reason is why Zara is not a Lady. Secondly, in the extent that titles are basically an extension of a family name, there's the argument that within the English speaking world, legitimately born children get typically get their surname from their father. Thus, when John Smith and Jane Doe have a child, it's more likely to have Smith as a surname than Doe. Titles aren't all that different, and by extension they are no more sexist than surnames. The BRF has, in the past, made measures to allow for a monarch's grandchildren to have titles - be they Royal or Noble - but in the case of the Phillips the lack of titles is owing to a decision made by their parents.

As to whether the titles should be limited so that the children of the younger sons of a monarch don't automatically become royals... Personally, I don't see the need. While I can understand the argument from the perspective of the royal parent not wanting their children to themselves be royal - and I think in the case of Edward an Sophie we can see this decision having been made - because of the expectations placed upon the children, but I don't see why there's this huge need to "slim down" the monarchy. It won't change the cost of the monarchy that much - certainly not while the children are growing up or living with their royal parents - but it will have the potential of limiting the royal duties performed. The Kents and Gloucesters continue to perform duties that the Wessexes likely never will, because the Kents and Gloucesters are royal while the Wessexes are (in name at least) not.

While the Wessex children, and even likely the Yorks, not doing duties may not change things too much, by the time William is on the throne and George is starting his family the numbers will be hugely different - once the Queen, her husband, her cousins, and her children (and daughters-in-laws) are gone the BRF will be William, Kate, Harry, his spouse, their children, and the Yorks and Wessexes. That's at most what? 12 people? And how many of them will be full time royals? How many of them will do the 3000+ engagements that the BRF now does? How many of them will travel to the other realms or Commonwealth Nations? Or represent Britain and the BRF abroad in general? And that's assuming that the Yorks and Wessexes count as royals at that point, let alone Harry's children.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Nobility

Thinking ahead by one generation of the Queen's grandchildren:
Peter - if his father had accepted an earldom then Savanna and Isla would have become ladies when Peter succeeded to the title, but as Mark Phillips declined they are Misses.
Zara - if her father had accepted the Earldom she would have been a lady, as he didn't she is a Miss. In either case her children would be Miss or Mr..
William - all children prince or princess.
Harry - unless made a Duke or Earl all children Miss or Mr.(?)
Beatrice - all children Miss or Mr.
Eugenie - all children Miss or Mr.
Louise - all children Miss or Mr.
James - daughter Lady when he succeeds to his father's title and son subsidiary title.
Do I have all of this right?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

All of Harry's children will be Lords or Ladies at a minimum - either they will be the children of a Prince (and thus Lord/Lady), the children of a Royal Duke (and thus Lord/Lady), or the male-line grandchildren of the monarch (and thus Prince/Princess).
Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
As for whether or not it's simply sexism that the Phillips don't have titles while the Wessexes and Yorks do, I disagree. For starters, it isn't sexism because when Mark Phillips was offered a title he turned it down.
That ignores the very sexist nature of the 1917 LPs - why should the male line grandchildren be royal but not the female line grandchildren?

Had the 1917 LPs said that ALL grandchildren, regardless of the gender of the child of the monarch, then Peter and Zara would have been born a Prince and Princess - regardless of whether or not Mark had accepted a title in his own right.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Ish, thank you so much for your detailed response ( post#154). i have been thinking for some time that titles were an extension of surnames but I could not have expressed it as well as you.

really great post.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Thinking ahead by one generation of the Queen's grandchildren:
Peter - if his father had accepted an earldom then Savanna and Isla would have become ladies when Peter succeeded to the title, but as Mark Phillips declined they are Misses.
Zara - if her father had accepted the Earldom she would have been a lady, as he didn't she is a Miss. In either case her children would be Miss or Mr..
William - all children prince or princess.
Harry - unless made a Duke or Earl all children Miss or Mr.(?)
Beatrice - all children Miss or Mr.
Eugenie - all children Miss or Mr.
Louise - all children Miss or Mr.
James - daughter Lady when he succeeds to his father's title and son subsidiary title.
Do I have all of this right?
Harry's children would be Mr or Miss during the Queen's reign, but would become HRH Prince/Princess after the accession of Charles. This only if Harry isn't given a Dukedom. If he is given a Dukedom by the Queen, during her reign his children would be Lord/Lady X Moutbatten-Windsor (except the eldest son, who would use a subsidiary title) and they would become HRH Prince/Princess after Charles' accession.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Majesty

Not quite - the 1917 LPs allow for the children of younger grandsons to be also Lord and Lady e.g. Lord Frederick and Lady Gabriella Windsor have the Lord/Lady because their father is a male-line grandson of a monarch, even though a younger son and not the heir to the title - so Harry's children would also be Lord or Lady whether he has a title or not - as the children of the younger son of a son of the monarch.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That ignores the very sexist nature of the 1917 LPs - why should the male line grandchildren be royal but not the female line grandchildren?
The answer is very simple. The female line grandchildren inherit titles from their fathers.
It was hard to imagine british princess's husband without a title.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
The answer is very simple. The female line grandchildren inherit titles from their fathers.
It was hard to imagine british princess's husband without a title.
But that is not the case now, so the law should be altered to reflect changing times.

Tags
lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, styles and titles, viscount severn