The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Majesty

My confusion was because Edward will be created Duke of Edinburgh by a separate patent from his existing earldom.

It was for this reason that I thought he would use both titles and James would carrying on with Viscount Severn.

But you're both correct. James will use Earl of Wessex.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Commoner

Will the Wessex kids be made HRH in the future?

Old 03-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosena6 View Post
I don't think so, but they should. It is their birth right, which was taken from them.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosena6 View Post
It depends on how you view the current situation. Personally for me they are HRHs but they do not use their titles. There was never any legislation produced to formally take their birthright away from them.

Others believe, and have produced evidence to the fact, that The Queens Will is enough to mean they have been stripped of their HRH birthright.

What we can 99% assume is that when their father ultimately becomes Duke of Edinburgh their titles will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think so, but they should. It is their birth right, which was taken from them.

Again, it depends if you believe it has been “taken” from them. Edward and Sophie made a decision for their children before they were born, a decision personally I think was right for them. Their position in line to the throne means HRHs weren’t necessary, they were never going to be working royals, and you just have to look at the flak and intrusion Beatrice and Eugenie have faced to see what Louise and James could have got/get. When a member of the royal family has an HRH, the public/press have the belief that they have a “right” to know that person inside and out. Their information is our information. Sophie and Edward have spared their children from that intrusion.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Their 'birth right' was not taken from them.

The decision was made before they were born at the request of their parents and with the Queen's permission.

All that is needed for titles to be given or removed is that The Queen's Will is made known which it was in this case.

I wrote to BP to check this fact and had it confirmed by the palace itself - they aren't not and never will be HRHs without another monarch reversing what The Queen has made known to be her Will.

The intention, as I understand it, is to eventually move to only the children of the heir apparent being HRHs but the Queen didn't want to issue LPs to strip her cousins or Beatrice and Eugenie of HRHs but the intention is that eventually children of younger children will not pass on HRH at all. It is all part of the transition to a smaller royal family.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It depends on how you view the current situation. Personally for me they are HRHs but they do not use their titles. There was never any legislation produced to formally take their birthright away from them.

Others believe, and have produced evidence to the fact, that The Queens Will is enough to mean they have been stripped of their HRH birthright.

What we can 99% assume is that when their father ultimately becomes Duke of Edinburgh their titles will change.
For me as well, James and Louise are HRHs but do not use their titles.

When Edward becomes Duke of Edinburgh James's courtesy title will change, but Lady Louise will still be Lady Louise.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
For me as well, James and Louise are HRHs but do not use their titles.

When Edward becomes Duke of Edinburgh James's courtesy title will change, but Lady Louise will still be Lady Louise.
So you don't agree with BP who told me that they are not HRHs as The Queen's Will has been made known.

I actually wrote and asked whether they were HRHs who weren't using them and they said 'no they weren't ever HRHs as The Queen's Will was made known in 1999 that they weren't to have those styles.'
Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
So you don't agree with BP who told me that they are not HRHs as The Queen's Will has been made known.

I actually wrote and asked whether they were HRHs who weren't using them and they said 'no they weren't ever HRHs as The Queen's Will was made known in 1999 that they weren't to have those styles.'
This. Their HRH never existed for it to be "stripped"..

If you want to argue, the new succession laws should include peerage. IMHO, if Prince Edward is made DoE, it's Louise's birthright to inherit the title after her father, not James.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Not quite sure how you can say their HRHs never existed to be stripped as the are male line grandchildren of a monarch therefore by law entitled to HRHs.

Also unless it’s specified in the new issue that Louise can inherit, she won’t.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Not quite sure how you can say their HRHs never existed to be stripped as the are male line grandchildren of a monarch therefore by law entitled to HRHs.
I think the statement that the Wessex children never had the HRH to begin with might have stemmed from the fact that the Queen's will in the matter was decided at the time of Edward and Sophie's marriage before any children were born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
If you want to argue, the new succession laws should include peerage. IMHO, if Prince Edward is made DoE, it's Louise's birthright to inherit the title after her father, not James.
The equal primogeniture ruling was amended in the Succession to the Crown Act in 2013. It deals only with matters pertaining to the line of succession. From what I've seen, the British Peerage is handled by a totally different set of laws and acts.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 03-20-2018, 05:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Also unless it’s specified in the new issue that Louise can inherit, she won’t.
All titles are the monarch's prerogative. How the monarch chooses to announce the issuing or removal of a title is up to the monarch to decide and can be by a number of means:

1. Letters Patent
2. Press Release
3. Verbal Announcement
4. Royal Warrant

It makes no difference how it is announced. The fact that it is announced makes it the case and in the case of the Wessex children it was by press release and that was enough - The Queen's Will was made known - they aren't HRH.

As a result they were never entitled to HRH as it was announced in 1999 that they wouldn't have that styling. They can't be stripped of a right they never had.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

As we have previously discussed this matter, my sentiments are the same. I disagree that The Queens Will is enough to strip them of something that was given to them by law.

BP might have wrote to saying such, but I don’t see it as enough. Just because they aren’t “styled” as such, does not mean they are not entitled to it.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
As we have previously discussed this matter, my sentiments are the same. I disagree that The Queens Will is enough to strip them of something that was given to them by law.B.
Actually, royal styles and titles aren't given by law. They are the prerogative of the Sovereign.

Royal Styles and Titles of Great Britain
Old 03-20-2018, 06:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
As we have previously discussed this matter, my sentiments are the same. I disagree that The Queens Will is enough to strip them of something that was given to them by law.

BP might have wrote to saying such, but I don’t see it as enough. Just because they aren’t “styled” as such, does not mean they are not entitled to it.
They weren't given it 'by law' but by George V making a decision and announcing it by one means that was available to him. He didn't consult anyone and just announced it. He chose to use LPs. The Queen chose another means but still it is her prerogative and nothing to do with 'law' or the PM or the government - her decision and hers alone.

You can decide to argue against BP and many experts who have also stated - throughout the 20th century (especially with the Wallis Simpson case and her HRH - again 'the King's Will' was all that was needed to deny her HRH - no LPs stripping her of a title - just an announcement from the King that she wouldn't have it - that The Queen's Will isn't enough but you are incorrect.

That is all that is needed as there is no legislation issued on these matters.

LPs aren't laws - just a piece of paper issued by the monarch putting in writing their will. They don't need to put them in writing though.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Okay, we can respectively disagree on the matter.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Actually, royal styles and titles aren't given by law. They are the prerogative of the Sovereign.

Royal Styles and Titles of Great Britain
According to the English Government History professor at Princeton University in NJ, you are absolutely correct. The law has no power over titles. They are only the Sovereign's wishes. They can not be changed by politicians or sitting party. He also believes that once Edward become DoE that only his wife will change official titles and that the children's titles will be changed only by KING Charles, if he wants them changed. It is not an automatic thing no matter what anyone else thinks. This was agreed to prior to the marriage of the Wessexs. It was what the Queen and Charles wanted and all agreed to. Now he also said that the Queen has the option to change her mind, even on her death bed if they feel she is still mentally fit. The York daughters will not have titled children unless Charles wants them to have, which seems very unlikely. This is only a titled thing and nothing takes away from family relations. Only Andrew's girls have royal princess titles now of the grandchildren which Andy and Fergywanted and Queen ok'd.

Now professor's personal opinion seems a bit different in his view that Charles will be very strict in exactly who get high titles and in what "rank" as he wants only a smaller royal clan to get government money and only those who do work for him will receive a stipend only for that occasion, not a yearly salary. He also believes that lesser royals should be able to work at a proper job at whatever if they desire.

Now that is what is being taught at Princeton. Someone on this forum should ask the sitting head of Oxford History Dept or another recognized huge university in England their historical facts on this subject. It would put to rest the proper law and not an opinion.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Courtier

Francois Velde includes his sources so it's not really accurate to say this is his opinion.

For example, he includes documents from the following:

#1 Garter:
"In regard to styles given in the Acts of Parliament cited, it should be remarked that the authority upon which they proceed are the styles given in Royal messages from the Crown transmitted to the House of Commons for making the necessary provisions for the respective parties, and therefore must be considered as emanating from the Sovereign."
National Archives HO/45/8933

#2 [Robert] Finlay, the Lord Chancellor:
"I think it would be in accordance with usage that the son of Prince Arthur of Connaught should be styled'"Prince" and "Highness" . This however would be subject to the pleasure of His Majesty as the fountain of Honours and no step should be taken without submitting the matter for the consideration of H .M."
LCO 2 7299

#3 A note prepared by Finlay's secretary, who quotes from Halsbury Laws of England Vol.VI. p.375 S.V. Constitutional Law):

(d) that the matter is one for the regulation of the reigning Sovereign - a proposition which might be arrived at aliunde, for "the King is the source of all titles of honour, distinctions, and dignities".
LCO 2 7299

Here is a link to the 1909 edition of Halsbury's The Laws of England (the only edition I could find freely available on the internet, the current online edition appears to require a subscription).

"550. With regard to the royal power and authority, the Sovereign is the supreme executive officer in the State; he is the head of the Church, the Law, the Navy, and the Army, and the source of all titles of honour, distinction, and dignities…."

https://archive.org/stream/lawsofeng...e/374/mode/2up
Old 03-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
According to the English Government History professor at Princeton University in NJ, you are absolutely correct. The law has no power over titles. They are only the Sovereign's wishes.
I would say that is only half true. The UK Parliament is sovereign, so it can override any royal prerogative by law. In fact, just recently, the royal prerogative to dissolve Parliament has been abolished.

What the professor probably meant is that, currently, no royal titles and styles are regulated by law in the United Kingdom except for the titles and styles of the sovereign him/herself. In the absence of an Act of Parliament , the titles of the members of the Royal Family fall within the royal prerogative.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I would say that is only half true. The UK Parliament is sovereign, so it can override any royal prerogative by law. In fact, just recently, the royal prerogative to dissolve Parliament has been abolished.

What the professor probably meant is that, currently, no royal titles and styles are regulated by law in the United Kingdom except for the titles and styles of the sovereign him/herself. In the absence of an Act of Parliament , the titles of the members of the Royal Family fall within the royal prerogative.
That's a very good point. And as the documents on Francois Velde's website point out - not his personal opinion - according to current law the "Sovereign is the the source of all titles of honour, distinction, and dignities…."

Consequently, QE II has every right to withhold the HRH from her Wessex grandchildren. Her wish is law in that matter, unless and only unless Parliament takes that power from her.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
According to the English Government History professor at Princeton University in NJ, you are absolutely correct. The law has no power over titles. They are only the Sovereign's wishes. They can not be changed by politicians or sitting party. He also believes that once Edward become DoE that only his wife will change official titles and that the children's titles will be changed only by KING Charles, if he wants them changed. It is not an automatic thing no matter what anyone else thinks. This was agreed to prior to the marriage of the Wessexs. It was what the Queen and Charles wanted and all agreed to. Now he also said that the Queen has the option to change her mind, even on her death bed if they feel she is still mentally fit. The York daughters will not have titled children unless Charles wants them to have, which seems very unlikely. This is only a titled thing and nothing takes away from family relations. Only Andrew's girls have royal princess titles now of the grandchildren which Andy and Fergywanted and Queen ok'd.
If Harry and Meghan were to have children before Charles ascends the throne they wouldn't be HRH. So, it would seem rather unfair if Charles would elevate his grandchildren to HRH / prince(ss) and leave his niece and nephew as Viscount (earl) and lady upon the creation of their father as Duke of Edinburgh. So, I am curious to see what will happen. IMO it would be fair to treat the grandchildren of a monarch equally, at least from that moment on.

Tags
lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, styles and titles, viscount severn