The Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squidgy

Serene Highness
City
Ottawa
Country
Canada
This is a little blurb from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador (http://stjohns.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nf-prince-edward-050601)

Edward dazzles crowd at royal reception Last updated Jun 1 2005 09:31 AM NDT
CBC News

ST. JOHN'S – Hundreds of young people from across Newfoundland and Labrador are getting a chance to rub elbows with royalty, as the Earl of Wessex – better known as Prince Edward – has arrived to present the Duke of Edinburgh's Awards. About 140 awards are to be presented Wednesday in St. John's. On Tuesday night, about 400 teenagers were invited to meet Prince Edward at a reception at a Pleasantville drill hall. Among those attending was Premier Danny Williams, who felt a little giddy after meeting Prince Edward. "I met him at curbside, just as soon as he got here, and he's Prince Charming," Williams said. "He's a wonderful person, actually. Your first feeling of royalty is [that] you probably expect them to be aloof and standoffish. Nothing is further from the truth," Williams said. "I must say, he's really a breath of fresh air." The Duke of Edinburgh's Award – founded by Prince Edward's father, Prince Philip – is presented to outstanding youth. It has been offered in Newfoundland and Labrador since 1970. Prince Edward visited St. John's in 1988. Prince Edward Plaza, which includes a performing space off George Street in the downtown, is named in his honour.

Attachments

• 160_prince_edward_050601.jpg
    160_prince_edward_050601.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 2,329
Last edited by a moderator:
Melanie Alexander of St. George's, Newfoundland, Canada receives her Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award from the Duke's son, Edward, the Earl of Essex at a ceremony Wednesday, June 1, 2005 at the Convention Centre in St. John's, Newfoundland

Attachments

• z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 848
Don't know if we will see much of the Prince today. He attended a private lunch this afternoon and tonight it will be a private dinner.

Anyways, here's a little blurb from CBC Nova Scotia (http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns-prince-edward20050603)

Awards bring prince to Nova Scotia Last updated Jun 3 2005 03:24 PM ADT
CBC News

TATAMAGOUCHE – The Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward, is in Nova Scotia for a short visit. The Queen's youngest son attended a private lunch at the Tim Hortons children's camp in Tatamagouche, where he met with 200 recipients of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award. The award program recognizes young people between the ages 14 and 25 who set and achieve goals in personal skills, community service, fitness and wilderness expeditions. Later Friday, the prince is scheduled to attend a private business dinner at the nearby Fox Harb'r resort. No public appearances were scheduled. The prince stopped in Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick on Thursday. After Nova Scotia he moves on to Ontario.

From CTV.ca

Prince Edward ends tour, praises Canadian youth

TORONTO — After attending nearly 50 public engagements in five provinces over the last nine days, Prince Edward wrapped up his visit to Canada on Wednesday by applauding the inspiring young people he's met while touring the country.

"News is dominated by people that have gone wrong and it's about the negative ... especially about young people. And it's just simply not true,'' he said as he sat down with a handful of reporters to chat about his visit.

"The vast majority of young people are trying to get on in life in a very positive and instructive way.''

For much of his visit, the Queen's youngest son has been meeting with young people who are involved with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, created by his father almost 50 years ago.

There are bronze, silver and gold versions of the awards, which recognize participants between the ages of 14 and 25 who achieve goals in personal skills, community service, fitness and wilderness expeditions.

Edward, Earl of Wessex, handed out more than 400 gold awards during his Canadian visit and said he's been struck by the diverse backgrounds of the recipients.

"I met a young girl the other day who had suffered a stroke at a very young age and has effectively used the award as her rehabilitation program,'' he said.

About seven million youngsters around the world have taken part in the program since it was created.

"I see my role very simply as trying to -- if I can -- bring recognition to people who have succeeded or who have achieved,'' said the 41-year-old prince, who was accompanied for much of the Canadian trip by his wife, Sophie Rhys-Jones.

Edward first visited Canada in 1978, when he attended the Commonwealth Games in Edmonton with his parents.

"That was my first introduction to Canada. For some strange reason, the Canadians have continued to ask me to come back,'' he said with a laugh.

The prince was eager to chat about the causes he supports Wednesday; reporters were warned, however, that questions about his family or politics were strictly verboten.

The prince, who also stopped in Newfoundland, New Brunswick and P.E.I., last visited Canada two years ago. He was expected to leave Canada on Wednesday night.

Attachments

• 160_prince_edward3_050608.jpg
    160_prince_edward3_050608.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,750
HRH The Earl Of Wessex talks to Fern Britton about the 50 year anniversary of ' The Duke Of Edinburgh Award ' . Shown on ITV1. England - 05.12.06- belga:

Edward 1
Edward 2

There is a video online of the interview Prince Edward did with ITV at the Duke of Edinburgh Award site. It shows achive footage of Prince Edward at 22 and I was really surprised how much he sounded like Prince William.

http://www.theaward.org/press/

Prince Edward in visit to town

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, flew in to Stafford today to celebrate 50 years of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
Past and present participants of the scheme are meeting with the Earl for an anniversary reception at Shugborough.
Staffordshire Youth Service, which co-ordinates the award in the county, is overseeing the event which is being attended by 80 youngsters as well as youth service staff.

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger pose for photos after they presented 75 students from Viewpoint School and the Debbie Allen Dance Academy with medals commemorating their completion of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Young Americans' Challenge on Friday, May 11, 2007 in Calabasas, Calif. The awards, presented at Viewpoint School in Calabasas, are given for outstanding leadership, community service, performance in the arts, athletics, academics and adventurous journeys completed over the course of one year. The students are the first to receive the award in America.

Pictures:
Prince Edward, Arnold Schwarzenegger
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Prince Edward congratulate student Cleo Owens

Gallery of pictures from Isifa #1
Gallery of pictures from Isifa #2

West Coast galas have royal presence

West Coast galas have royal presence

CALABASAS, Calif. — The West Coast is getting its own royal treatment, just days after Queen Elizabeth II wrapped her whirlwind tour of the East Coast, with a stop at the Kentucky Derby.

The queen's third and youngest son, Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, on Friday helped honor the winners of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Young Americans' Challenge, on behalf of his father, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. On Saturday, he is due, along with Ray Romano and Brad Garrett, at a gala for producer Sam Haskell and his wife, Mary.

West Coast galas have royal presence - USATODAY.com

The Countess of Wessex shows she is wearing her pregnancy well as she helps Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award winners celebrate
at Windsor Castle on July 13, 2007 ----> Picture

Nice to see Sophie appears to be happy and healthy.:)

Pics 15.7.2007

Thanks for the nice pic of a happy and beautiful Sophie, Avalon :flowers:

Here are three funny pics of Edward having fun at an official engagement yesterday:
Prince Edward, Colonel in Chief of the Royal Wessex Yeomanary presented the Inter
Regimental Cup Today, to his own regiment who beat the Household Cavalry in the
final. Windsor, Britain - 15 Jul

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Something interetsing that we have missed, two weeks ago Prince Edward officiated over his first Duke of Edinburgh Awards Gold Award ceremony. It is the first time that he has done so as Prince Philip hands out every gold award in the UK. The Duke of Edinburgh was with the Queen in Belgium and Edward and Sophie took the Queen and the Duke's place.
Some lovely newspaper noted that it was because of Edward recently becoming a trustee.:) Edward became a trustee in 1982.
It also appears that Edward's trip to Israel and the MIddle East is on hold. The Foreign office has noted that it is on "constant review", this is due to the unrest in the region and the fact that Hamas, Fattar and the Israel government all wanted to show him around for the week.:lol:

Greenville To Get Royal Visit - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

Greenville is expecting a prince of a visitor in May.

Prince Edward will present Miss South Carolina and Miss South Carolina Teen participants with the Duke of Edinburgh Award. The award, created in 1956 by Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, goes to 14- to 25-year-olds who meet objectives in volunteering, physical activities, skills and expedition.

Prince Edward looks a LOT like Prince Charles in that second picture!:)

Here are three funny pics of Edward having fun at an official engagement yesterday:
Prince Edward, Colonel in Chief of the Royal Wessex Yeomanary presented the Inter
Regimental Cup Today, to his own regiment who beat the Household Cavalry in the
final. Windsor, Britain - 15 Jul

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Today Prince Edward was meeting young people who had achieved their gold Duke of Edinburgh Award at St James's Palace. I know because I was one of those young people :). The Earl was very friendly and down to earth and had a great sense of humor! I was quite surprised by how slim he was!

After the ceremony my mum and I were walking back to the underground and came to Clarence House and stopped as a car was leaving. It was Edward driving with a man in the front seat (assuming protection officer) and Sophie in the back.

Thanks for sharing with us this special day! :flowers:
I suppose it was quite emotional to meet the Prince Edward.

What exactly was your award for? How cool it must have been!

Congratulations on achieving your gold award.
Currently about 10 kids from my school are doing their expedition for their gold awards so I do have some understanding of what you have achieved.

Congratulations, crm2317. That's a wonderful achievement.:flowers:

Today Prince Edward was meeting young people who had achieved their gold Duke of Edinburgh Award at St James's Palace. I know because I was one of those young people :).

Congratulations, Crm2317!! :flowers: Must have been a pretty amazing experience for you! You reminded me of the day I had seen Prince Andrew sitting in the back seat of a luxurious car - the only member of the BRF I've seen so far in downtown London.;) Certainly a day to remember!

Prince Edward makes television comeback
The Earl of Wessex’s career in television production is best known for a series of fiascos including the filming of It’s a Royal Knockout and the breaching of Prince William’s privacy while he was a student at St Andrews. Happily, though, Prince Edward has not been deterred from venturing in front of the camera. He has become involved in Films Without Borders, a charity which aims to encourage children to make their own television programmes.
In his capacity as patron of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme, the Earl has conducted television interviews with George Lucas, the director of Star Wars, and Whoopi Goldberg, the star of Sister Act.

Prince Edward is coming to Philadelphia in a few weeks in support of the Duke of Edinburgh's Scheme and in honor of HM's Diamond Jubilee. I've been invited to attend a reception in his honor. So excited!!!!!

:previous:
That must very exiting! :)
Don't forget to tell us all about the reception when the time comes.

Prince Edward is coming to Philadelphia in a few weeks in support of the Duke of Edinburgh's Scheme and in honor of HM's Diamond Jubilee. I've been invited to attend a reception in his honor. So excited!!!!!

This is very exciting indeed. I hope you'll share your experience with us.

I’ve come across two documents about the Earl of Wessex’s involvement with the DOE.

The first one is an old BBC documentary from 1987, written and presented by Prince Edward. He explains what the Doe is and interviews different people about it : youngsters, helpers, … and the Duke himself. Quite well done.

BBC - Archive - The Duke of Edinburgh - The Duke's Award | 1

The other one is an interesting father-and-son interview from 2005 :

'Look, I'm not trying to change the world' - Telegraph

Prince Philip and Prince Edward do seem to get along.

The Earl of Wessex has spoken (virtually) to Nicholas Johnson, a Silver DofE holder and Princeton University valedictorian. They discussed on "climate change, youth activism and racial equality amongst young people"
DofE @DofE
HRH The Earl of Wessex recently discussed climate change, youth activism and racial equality amongst young people with Silver #DofE Award holder and recent Princeton University valedictorian, Nicholas Johnson.
@TheAwardUSA
@intaward
https://bit.ly/2VOFllY
3:15 AM · Dec 9, 2020·Twitter Ads​

We hear Plenty about Phillips Rocky relationship with Charles over the years and his similarities to Ann but I don’t think I ever read anything about Edwards relationship with his father.

Back
Top Bottom