Sophie's Relationships with the Queen and Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like we don't really see Charles and Camilla interacting that much with the extended royal family, so I think it's hard to judge a lot of those relationships. I certainly don't get the impression that Camilla and Sophie are particularly close at all, but on the occasions that we have seen them together, they seem to get along perfectly fine. That said, I think Sophie's quite a naturally outgoing person, and she seems to be getting along with whoever she's interacting with (admittedly, I know less about Camilla, but I'm certainly under the impression that she's someone who's easy to get along with, too.)

The only time I ever really remember reading anything about Sophie and Camilla's relationship was around the time Charles and Camilla were getting married. I think some of the tabloids said some vague stuff about Sophie not wanting anything to do with Camilla and resenting the fact that she would have to curtsy to Camilla, etc. It seemed a pretty clear attempt by the tabloids to stir up a cat fight that never actually existed.

I do not think that you need to be friends and drink their tea together.
As in any family i guess enough to have the necessary friendly relationships.

I think one thing we need to keep in mind is that the British Royal Family isn't like the normal, run of the mill family that have their nights and weekends free to have the relatives over for dinner or tea or get together. These are people that have a very full date book of places to be and events to cover and their down time is when they can squeeze it in. I would imagine that when that down time does come, they will choose to spend it with their own immediate families and friends and look forward to seeing those relatives they're not that close to on occasions like Trooping and the holidays and such.

I have uncles and aunts and cousins by the dozens all over the place but many of them I've not seen in a very long time.

I have uncles and aunts and cousins by the dozens all over the place but many of them I've not seen in a very long time.

You are absolutely correct. It is the way life is. Some of my very dear relatives I get to see only at weddings or funerals due to their work schedules and the states or country that they live in. I love seeing them and laughing about silly things that happen, but to say we are close, would not be true, even though I hold them very dear in affection.

The members of the British royal family see each other more often than most in "normal families" would do. I barely see my cousins, uncles and aunts. Camilla and Sophie already see each other at a lot of royal events, let alone family gatherings.

I tend to agree, Duc. If one imagines events such as trooping the colour, the remeberence services etc being like family events, they certainly are obliged to see each other more often than other families.

I tend to agree, Duc. If one imagines events such as trooping the colour, the remeberence services etc being like family events, they certainly are obliged to see each other more often than other families.

And State Visits, and church services, and weddings and funerals, Royal Ascot and ithe other events in the Season, etc...

I agree - I think the royal family spend more time together than a lot of extended families. When I was growing up, I saw a lot of my extended family (it helped that my cousins and I are all almost exactly the same age), but now the only times we're likely to all get together are Thanksgiving and Christmas - and even then, it's often only for the day itself. The royals really see each other quite a lot - and that's just what we see publicly. There's also the annual time spent at Balmoral and Sandringham. I doubt that, for example, Camilla and Sophie call each other up to meet for lunch, but certainly they see each other on plenty of family occasions.

Camilla and Sophie are the Queen's 2 daughters in law.
Both are doing well.

I imagine Sophie and Camilla get on as well as any other sisters-in-law do. They are adult enough to look happy and friendly with each other during the times we see them in public together (Order of the Garter, Ascot etc.) but I doubt they are best friends. There is quite an age gap between them, and their life stages are completely different. They are cordial enough as sisters-in-law, but I can't see them ringing up for weekly updates and lunch dates.

The age gap perhaps plays a part in Charles and Edward's relationship, which may be the same for their wives. Charles once said that the age gap between himself and Edward made him feel like another father to Edward.

You bring up a good point about the couples' age and stage in life difference. The Wessexes are just a few years ahead of where Charles and Camilla's children are in their own lives. They're all busy with duties/career/children while Charles and Camilla are approaching the time when most of their peers are retiring. (Charles and Camilla won't really have that option in the future.) I agree that Camilla and Sophie get along when they're together.

I simply don't get this need of the media to build a member of the royal family up, and tear another member of the royal family down. It's like they like they portray the royals as characters from a old Western movie. We all know the Queen is very close to Sophie, but from what I see, she also have a very warm relationship with Catherine too. The Queen enjoys a pretty good relationship with her close family.

The press thought Sophie would be a mentor for Catherine. Since Sophie hasn't turned out to be a Godmother to neither George or Charlotte, the two ladies don't appear to hang out with each other, the press want to push the idea that the royal ladies don't have a good relationship with each other. They really like putting royals up against each other.

What it boils down to is HM is a true matriarch of the entire family and I think she has an unique relationship with all of her family and, as much of it is done behind closed doors, we really have no clue how these people interact with each other in private and we're supposed to bow down, chant moo and eat purple grass and believe what the media tells us. Bamp! I don't think so.

These are also people who when they're in the media's focus where they can be seen are usually going about their busy schedules. For all we know, Sophie and Kate could be telephoning and texting each other as BFFs every day and none of us would be the wiser. ;)

What it boils down to is HM is a true matriarch of the entire family and I think she has an unique relationship with all of her family and, as much of it is done behind closed doors, we really have no clue how these people interact with each other in private and we're supposed to bow down, chant moo and eat purple grass and believe what the media tells us. Bamp! I don't think so.

These are also people who when they're in the media's focus where they can be seen are usually going about their busy schedules. For all we know, Sophie and Kate could be telephoning and texting each other as BFFs every day and none of us would be the wiser. ;)

Right, the media like to drive their own narrative about the royals and their relationships with each other. They've done this countless times before.

I think there is no doubt that Sophie's two life-threatening health emergencies have brought she and the Queen closer if for no other reason than HM invited Sophie to share her car to church at the annual family gathering while recovering. They obviously found they liked each other and had interests in common since Sophie still joins HM on regular occasions to this day.

I think there is no doubt that Sophie's two life-threatening health emergencies have brought she and the Queen closer if for no other reason than HM invited Sophie to share her car to church at the annual family gathering while recovering. They obviously found they liked each other and had interests in common since Sophie still joins HM on regular occasions to this day.

Right, they do share a special relationship. It's the media that make it seems like The Queen's heart only have room for Sophie.

Also, they don't have to tear down Catherine, to build Sophie up. From the pictures I see, the two ladies enjoy each other's company just fine.

Of course the Queen is closer to Sophie. Firstly, she's been within the family for 15+ years. Secondly, Sophie is her daughter-in-law. Catherine is her granddaughter-in-law.

Of course the Queen is closer to Sophie. Firstly, she's been within the family for 15+ years. Secondly, Sophie is her daughter-in-law. Catherine is her granddaughter-in-law.

Major point. :flowers: Plus there is just far more personal history between them: the long courtship with her youngest son, and the traumatic pregnancies. But I also think there is a substantial, worldly personality present with Sophie that makes her compelling (but that's my bias ;) ). It's why she, along with Edward, blend so well in the larger world of the European royals. I would be surprised if Sophie doesn't 'get on' with Catherine. Natural friends is more complicated and not a given in any family.

Last edited:
Richard Kay is pretty much doing what the media did with Diana & Anne, and Diana and Sarah, putting the ladies up against each other. "This town isn't big enough for the both of us" kind of scenario.

I'm sure both Sophie and Catherine think this kind of thing is just silly.

Article aside, I truly think that Sophie has a strong nd yet subtle relatuonship with the Queen. Why wouldn't she? She has been, after all, her daughter-in-law for many years and the marriage of Edward has been the stable and long-lasting one. I think that the major feeling at the core between the two ladies is trust.

Article aside, I truly think that Sophie has a strong nd yet subtle relatuonship with the Queen. Why wouldn't she? She has been, after all, her daughter-in-law for many years and the marriage of Edward has been the stable and long-lasting one. I think that the major feeling at the core between the two ladies is trust.

True. It is the only marriage of her children which lasted.

Sophie and the Queen's relationship is nothing new. Their bond goes back to the early 90's, when Edward & Sophie started dating. Sophie was welcomed by the the family pretty early on, and often took vacations with the family on the royal Yacht Britannia. It's a relationship formed over many years.

I just think it's not fair to Sophie to make it seem like she's competing with a 33 year old woman over the media/public's attention. Sophie was the center of attention before and in the early years of her marriage. I'm sure she's okay the attention has now switched over to someone else, so she can live a more relaxed life.

Sophie has never seemed to care about pleasing the media, she was another one they wanted to turn into Diana 2.0. I do know that the closeness between the Queen and Sophie is nothing new and has been there since before William even met Kate. I also wonder if the Queen is not also greatful to Sophie for bringing so much stability, good hard work and representing the BRF so well for the past years. It would appear to me that the BRF shouldn't want another Diana but another Sophie.
As for her and Kate, I don't know anything about their relationship; they are both middle class but Sophie is definitely the more intelligent and hard working of the two.

[...]
As for her and Kate, I don't know anything about their relationship; they are both middle class but Sophie is definitely the more intelligent and hard working of the two.

I am curious to learn how you made the conclusion that Sophie is more intelligent than Catherine?

:flowers:

Sophie and the Queen's relationship is nothing new. Their bond goes back to the early 90's, when Edward & Sophie started dating. Sophie was welcomed by the the family pretty early on, and often took vacations with the family on the royal Yacht Britannia. It's a relationship formed over many years.

I just think it's not fair to Sophie to make it seem like she's competing with a 33 year old woman over the media/public's attention. Sophie was the center of attention before and in the early years of her marriage. I'm sure she's okay the attention has now switched over to someone else, so she can live a more relaxed life.

I don't think Sophie was ever the center of attention even early in her marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Countess Sophie changed completely since Viscount Severn is born .

It is a Richard Kay & Geoffrey Levy article for the DM. :ermm:
All three are known for their less than accurate articles.

Richard Kay & Geoffrey Levy always take swipes at Camilla.

Camilla, who has never had a job outside marriage.

Camilla worked as receptionist and secretary prior to her marriage but I guess that is not a job according to Richard Kay. I wonder what Richard Kay considers a job????:lol:

As far as the Queen's relationship with her family.... IMO, it is based on distance.

The Queen was closer to Andrew and Sarah because they lived closer than Anne & Mark/Tim and C&D.

The Queen was closer to Beatrice & Eugenie because they lived closer than Zara & Peter, William & Harry.

The Queen is now closer to Sophie and Edward because they live closer than Charles & Camilla, Anne & Tim.

Also, imo, the Queen is closer to Sophie as a she is the mother of her youngest grandchildren. It keeps the Queen young knowing her grandson is only 8 years old.

While it makes her feel old knowing she has greatgrandchildren.

Sophie & Edward have lived near the Queen since 1990s.

Catherine and William do not live near the Queen except when the Queen arrives at Sandringham.

Maybe in a few years or a decade, we will see Catherine riding with the Queen.

The Queen probably bonds with each member of her family differently.
With Camilla it is horses and old times.
With Sophie it is grandchildren, military history and horses.
With Tim, unknown but he and the Queen are quite comfortable with each other.

Correction
The next generation
Autumn - appears close
Catherine - appears close
Mike - unknown

Last edited:
Sorry Queen Camilla but I really don't think where family members live would alter the Queens feelings. We are all only guessing what she feels about who.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Back
Top Bottom