The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Here's a little tidbit about Sophie's relationship with Her Majesty. Didn't know that Friday is the day Countess of Wessex dedicates to seeing her mother-in-law (and it gives Louise and James to have a relationship with their grandmother).

Queen enjoys Sophie's visits - Celebrity News - Virgin Media

Warren, thanks for the quotes from the article posted earlier in the thread. I had no clue Her Majesty loves history. Something she has in common with a few of us then .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Here's a little tidbit about Sophie's relationship with Her Majesty. Didn't know that Friday is the day Countess of Wessex dedicates to seeing her mother-in-law (and it gives Louise and James to have a relationship with their grandmother).

Queen enjoys Sophie's visits - Celebrity News - Virgin Media

Warren, thanks for the quotes from the article posted earlier in the thread. I had no clue Her Majesty loves history. Something she has in common with a few of us then .

Thanks Daria . Great article I'm so happy that Queen and Countess of Wessex have a great relationship

Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMil View Post

Thanks Daria . Great article I'm so happy that Queen and Countess of Wessex have a great relationship
You're very welcome. I'm glad that they're getting along as well.

After reading the article, I got a mental picture of James' tricycle just standing outside, by whichever door they use to enter and exit at Windsor Castle, and a living room at Bagshot Park, cluttered with kid-related stuff .

Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
You're very welcome. I'm glad that they're getting along as well.

After reading the article, I got a mental picture of James' tricycle just standing outside, by whichever door they use to enter and exit at Windsor Castle, and a living room at Bagshot Park, cluttered with kid-related stuff .
I didn't know Sophie visited the Queen that regularly. That is so lovely, especially for Louise and James. Daria, I also had a mental image of the courtiers stepping over James' tricycle and rolling their eyes. The idea of the house covered in their toys is adorable, especially as it makes them sound so normal. I imagine Louise and James run that house, as Edward said when Louise was born that "his life is now run by not one, but two women", referring to Sophie and Louise. The way it should be, hah!

Thanks for the article link, Daria.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I didn't know Sophie visited the Queen that regularly. That is so lovely, especially for Louise and James. Daria, I also had a mental image of the courtiers stepping over James' tricycle and rolling their eyes. The idea of the house covered in their toys is adorable, especially as it makes them sound so normal. I imagine Louise and James run that house, as Edward said when Louise was born that "his life is now run by not one, but two women", referring to Sophie and Louise. The way it should be, hah!

Thanks for the article link, Daria.
You're very welcome. I imagine that Louise is one of those children who know how to get their way, but is very subtle about it. I know that if I were her nanny/teacher, I'd have a hard time saying 'no' to her. She has a sparkling personality, and I won't be able to resist her smile (I'm sure her parents and grandparents feel that way too). It'd be nice to be a fly on the wall during those visits and observe the dynamic. Glad you liked the article.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Courtier

And how is the relationship between Sophie and Camilla? they are friends? I never read anything about it ...
Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
And how is the relationship between Sophie and Camilla? they are friends? I never read anything about it ...
Yes, most likely they are very friendly with each other.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Majesty

We have no idea as we rarely ever see them together. There are regular reports that Charles doesn't get along that well with Edward so it is perfectly possible that Camilla and Sophie rarely see each other either.

When we do see the family together e.g. Trooping the Colour or Christmas they don't seem to walk together.

I wouldn't like to say that they are friendly or that they are not as we simply don't have any evidence one way or the other really. An occasional glimpse of them together at a function is hardly enough time to judge whether they get along or not. They rarely attend the same functions unless it is the majority or the family turning out.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Serene Highness

Every time we see Camilla and Sophie they are laughing.

It is safe to assume they are cordial and friendly towards each other but that does not mean they are friends.

Camilla and Sophie are at different stages in their lives.

Sophie's son is the same age as Camilla's granddaughters.
Lola was born October 9, 2007
James was born December 17, 2007
Eliza was born January 16, 2008

There is probably very little interaction between Camilla and Sophie outside of a few yearly BRF events, unless they spend the summers together bonding but there is no evidence of this. Sophie's main residence is in Windsor, Camilla's is in Wiltshire/Gloucester.

Camilla has her biological family and her friends.
Sophie's friends are not part of Camilla's social/age group.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Majesty

The British royals are close, but we don't get to see the family relationships as we do with other royal families. They're lives are so busy and very distant. A lot of they family time is during family gatherings-Christmas and Trooping of the Colour.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-06-2015, 12:12 AM
Courtier

I feel like we don't really see Charles and Camilla interacting that much with the extended royal family, so I think it's hard to judge a lot of those relationships. I certainly don't get the impression that Camilla and Sophie are particularly close at all, but on the occasions that we have seen them together, they seem to get along perfectly fine. That said, I think Sophie's quite a naturally outgoing person, and she seems to be getting along with whoever she's interacting with (admittedly, I know less about Camilla, but I'm certainly under the impression that she's someone who's easy to get along with, too.)

The only time I ever really remember reading anything about Sophie and Camilla's relationship was around the time Charles and Camilla were getting married. I think some of the tabloids said some vague stuff about Sophie not wanting anything to do with Camilla and resenting the fact that she would have to curtsy to Camilla, etc. It seemed a pretty clear attempt by the tabloids to stir up a cat fight that never actually existed.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 AM
Serene Highness

I do not think that you need to be friends and drink their tea together.
As in any family i guess enough to have the necessary friendly relationships.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think one thing we need to keep in mind is that the British Royal Family isn't like the normal, run of the mill family that have their nights and weekends free to have the relatives over for dinner or tea or get together. These are people that have a very full date book of places to be and events to cover and their down time is when they can squeeze it in. I would imagine that when that down time does come, they will choose to spend it with their own immediate families and friends and look forward to seeing those relatives they're not that close to on occasions like Trooping and the holidays and such.

I have uncles and aunts and cousins by the dozens all over the place but many of them I've not seen in a very long time.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I have uncles and aunts and cousins by the dozens all over the place but many of them I've not seen in a very long time.
You are absolutely correct. It is the way life is. Some of my very dear relatives I get to see only at weddings or funerals due to their work schedules and the states or country that they live in. I love seeing them and laughing about silly things that happen, but to say we are close, would not be true, even though I hold them very dear in affection.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The members of the British royal family see each other more often than most in "normal families" would do. I barely see my cousins, uncles and aunts. Camilla and Sophie already see each other at a lot of royal events, let alone family gatherings.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

I tend to agree, Duc. If one imagines events such as trooping the colour, the remeberence services etc being like family events, they certainly are obliged to see each other more often than other families.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I tend to agree, Duc. If one imagines events such as trooping the colour, the remeberence services etc being like family events, they certainly are obliged to see each other more often than other families.
And State Visits, and church services, and weddings and funerals, Royal Ascot and ithe other events in the Season, etc...
Old 08-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Courtier

I agree - I think the royal family spend more time together than a lot of extended families. When I was growing up, I saw a lot of my extended family (it helped that my cousins and I are all almost exactly the same age), but now the only times we're likely to all get together are Thanksgiving and Christmas - and even then, it's often only for the day itself. The royals really see each other quite a lot - and that's just what we see publicly. There's also the annual time spent at Balmoral and Sandringham. I doubt that, for example, Camilla and Sophie call each other up to meet for lunch, but certainly they see each other on plenty of family occasions.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla and Sophie are the Queen's 2 daughters in law.
Both are doing well.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I imagine Sophie and Camilla get on as well as any other sisters-in-law do. They are adult enough to look happy and friendly with each other during the times we see them in public together (Order of the Garter, Ascot etc.) but I doubt they are best friends. There is quite an age gap between them, and their life stages are completely different. They are cordial enough as sisters-in-law, but I can't see them ringing up for weekly updates and lunch dates.

The age gap perhaps plays a part in Charles and Edward's relationship, which may be the same for their wives. Charles once said that the age gap between himself and Edward made him feel like another father to Edward.

Tags
british royal family, countess of wessex, relationships, sophie