The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Aristocracy

Congratulations To The Couple.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Courtier

The baby's name is James Alexander Philip Theo!

BBC NEWS | UK | Wessex's name new baby son James
Earl and Countess of Wessex Name Baby James |Sky News|UK News

Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline View Post
Lovely name. Very strong, and classic.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Courtier

Wow that is so great!
I really liked the name. Funny thing is: About a year ago I thought wouldn't it be nice if the had another little child, a boy named James? But then I thought, no, they will probably just have one child.
But then: Sophie got pregnant, then it was a boy and now it is James???
I really hope this name is true, because that would be too cool...
Old 12-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Nobility

BBC NEWS | UK | Wessex's name new baby son James
The baby's whole name is James Alexander Philip Theo
Old 12-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Nobility

who was the last royal to have the name James?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Aristocracy

oh never my mum said james and i answered that they will never call him like that because james is often used for butlers or so.

but nevertheless, ith sounds quite good. but who gave the name alexander?
thank oyu
Old 12-21-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman View Post
who was the last royal to have the name James?
HAS TO be HRH? Maybe the last ROYAL to be a James was James II?

As for people related to the royals, though, there is JAMES LASCELLES and JAMES OGILVY. Ogilvy is son of an HRH, and James would be grandson of the late Princess Royal (Mary).
Old 12-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

Yay! I finally predicted a royal baby first name right! I love the whole name and Theo is pretty cool/trendy for a royal isn't it.

Now I have a question. Will he be called Viscount James?
Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Courtier

Can't we call him Jamie. James is a bit adult for a cute baby
Old 12-21-2007, 01:32 PM

Like most sons of Earls, he will probably be known as The Hon. James Windsor (since like Louise, he will go by Windsor only, despite having the M-W name on his birth certificate) and Viscount Severn. I do not think it is correct to call a viscount "Viscount Name". I have seen some press calling Linley "Viscount David Linley" but I believe this is incorrect. It is most correct to say, "David, Viscount Linley" or "Lord Linley", or "James, Viscount Severn" or "Lord Severn".
But I am guessing that some press will call him "Viscount James" even if it is not technically correct form.

For some reason, it really bothers me when the press call Serena "Viscountess Serena" or "Lady Serena Linley". I mean, she isn't a Lady, is she? Her dad is a viscount so she is just The Hon. Serena, Viscountess Linley. But "Viscountess Serena" and "Viscount David" bothers me. I guess I am too sensitive to these things, though.

P.S. Jamie is a great nickname, Claire. Love it. Jamie Severn.

Ok, I have to admit, even Viscount Jamie is darling.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Courtier

Jamie Severn sound like a character from Harry Potter
Old 12-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Ok, in my last post I was wrong about the Honourable style. There is a discussion of this issue on the talk page of his article at Wikipedia. It is rather confusing but if I am understanding it, he can be referred to as The Lord James Windsor, Viscount Severn.
Since his viscounty is a courtesy title, he can just be "Lord" and not (as would a substantive lord) "The Rt. Hon.".

BUT......... any more sons born to Edward and Sophie would NOT be entitled to the Lord title, because the younger sons of Earls can only be The Hon. Only the eldest son, and therefore the user of the courtesy viscounty, can be called Lord Name etc.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Ok, in my last post I was wrong about the Honourable style. There is a discussion of this issue on the talk page of his article at Wikipedia. It is rather confusing but if I am understanding it, he can be referred to as The Lord James Windsor, Viscount Severn.
Since his viscounty is a courtesy title, he can just be "Lord" and not (as would a substantive lord) "The Rt. Hon.".

BUT......... any more sons born to Edward and Sophie would NOT be entitled to the Lord title, because the younger sons of Earls can only be The Hon. Only the eldest son, and therefore the user of the courtesy viscounty, can be called Lord Name etc.
No, that isn’t a hundred percent correct; The Rt. Hon is not used, as that refers, mainly, to people in political public life. Tony Blair, was the Rt. Hon Tony Blair, in the House of Commons, for example.

Usually the first son of an Earl is ‘Viscount such and such’, all other sons are: the Honourable such and such, or simple: The Hon. such and such, all daughters are: Lady such and such.

Given that Edward is a Prince, I sincerely doubt that any further sons will be titled: Honourable (which honestly barely denotes aristocracy). It will be a special case me thinks, after all, technically, Louise and James, are a Princess and Prince.

Something similar would happen if Prince William had children, while the Queen is still living. As the children would only be great – grandchildren of a monarch, only the first would be entitled to the ‘Prince’ title; all others would be Lord or Lady.

Viscount Linleys children are: The Hon. Charles Armstrong-Jones & The Hon. Margarita Armstrong-Jones; when he becomes The Earl of Snowdon, they will, respectively be: Viscount Linley & Lady Margarita Armstrong – Jones

If little James was really the son of Earl (as opposed to a Prince), he would simply be: James, Viscount Severn. As is, I think he will be Lord James Windsor, Viscount Severn.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Something similar would happen if Prince William had children, while the Queen is still living. As the children would only be great – grandchildren of a monarch, only the first would be entitled to the ‘Prince’ title.
IIRC, it's only the first son who gets the Prince title, right? If William's first child were to be a daughter while QEII was still living, she'd be Lady NN Windsor, I think. It would only be the eldest son who gets the title of HH (or would it be HRH?) Prince NN of (insert William's ducal title here) Or maybe I'm mixing things up? Is the the eldest child no matter what, or whoever the heir is? So if he had a daughter first, would she be HH Princess until she had a brother, at which point she'dbecome a Lady? Or would it just be the eldest son?
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

Congrats to the family!! I like James my managers baby is named James
Old 12-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange View Post
IIRC, it's only the first son who gets the Prince title, right? If William's first child were to be a daughter while QEII was still living, she'd be Lady NN Windsor, I think.
Yeah only the first son: given the succession rights at the moment in the UK (that they largely discount women). The Queen was never hier apparent (as Charles is), she was always the heiress Presumptive. i was kind of working under the assumption that the first child would be a boy (me bad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange View Post
It would only be the eldest son who gets the title of HH (or would it be HRH?) Prince NN of (insert William's ducal title here) Or maybe I'm mixing things up? Is the the eldest child no matter what, or whoever the heir is? So if he had a daughter first, would she be HH Princess until she had a brother, at which point she'dbecome a Lady? Or would it just be the eldest son?
No your right, the first son would be Prince NN Montbatten - Windsor. If the first child was a girl she would be Lady NN Montbatten - Windsor.

I am not sure about the HRH vs. HH stuff though.

In all likelihood though this really wouldn't be allowed to happen; there would be some slight change made in the law, as there was when Charles was born, to enable all children to have the Prince/Princess Title
Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
No, that isn’t a hundred percent correct; The Rt. Hon is not used, as that refers, mainly, to people in political public life. Tony Blair, was the Rt. Hon Tony Blair, in the House of Commons, for example.
No, you misunderstood me. If you look more carefully at my last sentence in my last post, I said he would NOT be The Rt. Hon.

I agree with you that it is logical he will be The Hon. James Windsor, Viscount Severn, as I indicated, or tried to express before. I meant that as eldest son of an Earl, he is The Hon. and Lord James, but any future sons would only be The Hon. (not Lord). Only James can be Lord etc. At least that seems to be what the Wikipedians are saying.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
No, you misunderstood me. If you look more carefully at my last sentence in my last post, I said he would NOT be The Rt. Hon.

I agree with you that it is logical he will be The Hon. James Windsor, Viscount Severn, as I indicated, or tried to express before. I meant that as eldest son of an Earl, he is The Hon. and Lord James, but any future sons would only be The Hon. (not Lord). Only James can be Lord etc. At least that seems to be what the Wikipedians are saying.
He isn't: The Hon. anything; that is a completely separate title (although the Rt Hon is used in the House of Lords for such people). Technically, the eldest son of an Earl would never go by the title Lord, simply Viscount NN. I doubt, in Edwards case, that any further sons will be titled anything other than, Lord.

Actually the news over here is indicating that he won’t be Lord James, but rather, James Windsor, Viscount Severn; this would be inline with the eldest sons, of other, non – royal Earls. Viscount Linley, isn't Lord David, just David, Viscount Linley. Although, he is Lord David Armstrong Jones technically, also.

Honourable isn’t part of his title, and the Rt. Hon certainly isn’t
Old 12-21-2007, 09:15 PM

Poppy, children of viscounts and below (baron, etc. on downward) are The Honourable. Sons of Earls are also The Honourable. Daughters of Earls and above are Ladies.
Viscount Linley's children, both of them, the girl and the boy, are The Hon.
The talk page on Wikipedia: Viscount Severn is what confused me. Because they discussed the possibility that the ELDEST SON of an Earl is a Lord, while the younger sons are just The Hon. That is something I didn't know before.

Tags
birth, countess of wessex, james mountbatten-windsor, sophie, viscount severn