The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Serene Highness

what a sweet baby and the wattage of his parents smile could light up a room for a week- lovely to see sophie looking so healthy and radiant and getting to go home with their precious baby boy. it was gracious and sweet for her to hug and thank everyone so warmly, i've always thought she seemed a lovely person. i'm excited they get to make Xmas with the family next week- what a great celebration around the tree. I'm very very happy for them.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness

What a cute baby! I wonder if he'll look like Mum or Dad.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

More pics
MediumPhoto
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
Galerías de imágenes
Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
And again no photo of Louise.....
From what I understand in the new year there will be pics released with the baby's details - probably taken by Prince Andrew - of the whole family. There is a possiblity that pics of all the royal grandchildren will also be realeased.
In order not to jeopardise there relationship with BP all journalists didn't show pics of Edward,Louise and Christopher Rhys-jones in the last few days arriving at the hospital for visits. It is well know that Edward is like a Papa Bear and would immediately approach the MCC. Louise is also not used to the press or flash photograph and would have been upsettened by the media. The press were thus on their best behaviour or else they would be left out the loop.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm so pleased both mother and baby are well. Sophie seems to be be doing particularly well so soon after the operation. She will be able to enjoy these first weeks with her little baby this time, and at Christmas time, too. Very special. I bet the Queen is delighted to have new little grandson to dote over at this time of year. A nice year-end for her and Philip.

Thank you all for posting the articles and pictures.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

What a cute small little baby, the pics are so nice,
Edward carefully carrying his little son and Sophie
hugging the staff, great to see these wonderful
gestures. Me too, I would love to see many pics
of the family in the future, but I think they won't
make any differences and will keep their family life
secret and private..
Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
From what I understand in the new year there will be pics released with the baby's details - probably taken by Prince Andrew - of the whole family. There is a possiblity that pics of all the royal grandchildren will also be realeased.
In order not to jeopardise there relationship with BP all journalists didn't show pics of Edward,Louise and Christopher Rhys-jones in the last few days arriving at the hospital for visits. It is well know that Edward is like a Papa Bear and would immediately approach the MCC. Louise is also not used to the press or flash photograph and would have been upsettened by the media. The press were thus on their best behaviour or else they would be left out the loop.
It is GREAT that Edward manages to maintain this relationship with the media, but why does it not work for other members of the family? I should think Prince Charles would love to have such an honor system exchange between the media and his family.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Nobility

I think the reason why there was comment about this hospital is that it is a National Health Service hospital, and not one of the private ones that the Royal Family usually attend.

Because she was dangerously ill when Lady Louise was born, people thought she went there because of speed, convenience, etc. But this time it was obviously deliberately chosen by the Royal couple.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Royal Highness

i'm curious as to where the title Viscount Severn comes from and why it's used in reference to the new baby.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i'm curious as to where the title Viscount Severn comes from and why it's used in reference to the new baby.
At the bottom of the article from 1999 it says that Viscount Severn was chosen as a name in honor of Sophie's family ties to the Welsh border area.

BBC NEWS | Special Report | 1999 | 06/99 | royal wedding | Wessex titles for Edward and Sophie
Old 12-20-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
All I know is that the viscounty Severn is the subsidary title of the Earldom of Wessex. Edward is Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn, and his heir can be styled by courtesy as the Viscount Severn.

But I don't know where the Severn title comes from. The Wessex title comes from pre-Conquest (that is, before 1066) times.
Wessex (or 'West Saxon') was a kingdom of ancient England. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wessex
Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Courtier

And I still have the feeling that the reason for Louise not be seen in public or not being published (official) photos has to do with her eyes:
It´s strange that this one grandchild of the Queen is so much kept away of the public eye. Even Anne´s children have been (officially) photographed more often when they were infants. Not to forget that there was a photo session when Louise was just a few weeks old and her eye-illness couldn´t be seen yet or so. Then the (only!) baptism photo was kind of blurred on purpose.
It was often mentioned in the past months that she had an eye-surgeon and everything is o.k. now but I don´t believe that....
Old 12-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Gentry

Her eyes are still crossed, regardless of whether she had surgery or not. It's possible that a premature infant could have ended up with some developmental delays. That could be a factor or it could just be that her parents do not want their kids to be photographed as much as their cousins were at a similar age. I remember reading Sophie's unguarded interview shortly after she married Edward. She expressed disapproval of Sarah Ferguson and how much she put her daughters in the public eye. "Problems, problems there," she predicted for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. She likely wants different for her own child. It's to her credit, actually, if Louise is unused to the press and would be frightened by the flash of a camera. A 4-year-old shouldn't have to put up with that, regardless of how much we'd like to see her pictures.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:03 AM

^ I like Sophie more and more, and now after reading your post, bluestocking, I like her more still. I like that she has the sense to know that Sarah Ferguson's mummy style is just........ to put it mildly, wack. Not that Sarah cannot love her daughters; the opposite, I feel Sarah loves them but she just over-indulges and tries to live young again through them, and she tries to be this "cool mum" hanging out with them all the time. I have known one or two mothers like this, and eventually their daughters come to resent it. So I love Sophie for being a rational mum instead, protective rather than "cool", and I am eager now to see the result. I have a strong feeling that Louise will benefit from Sophie's no-nonsense approach. But as she is just four, we must wait and see!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Royal Highness

Well said Bluestocking! And, I too echo CasiraghiTrio's sentiments regarding Sarah's mummy style as being "Wack"! (GREAT choice of words, CasiraghiTrio!!)
I am so pleased that Sophie and the new baby are doing well and I'm excited that there is now an heir to Edward's title (and quite possibly the Duke of Edinburg title!) I am looking forward to learning the name of the Viscount Severn

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-21-2007, 01:40 AM

^ It amazes me to think how much Edward and, especially Sophie, have grown on me. I had a prejudice against them in the early years of their marriage. I suppose I was too much influenced by the negative press regarding their careers. For the past year, it seems like I have been viewing them with a fresh pair of eyes.

I am not sure if the Hello! article was posted before. I think only the !Hola! one was posted. So here goes:
Proud parents Sophie and Edward take their son home for Christmas

Old 12-21-2007, 04:38 AM
Aristocracy

What a cute little nose he has! And they will join the rest of the family at Sandringham after all. I think I know who will get all of the attention around the Christmas tree! Who cares about the presents under the tree?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Commoner

Many congratulations to the Earl and Countess!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Gentry

More on the title:

BBC NEWS | Special Report | 1999 | 06/99 | royal wedding | Wessex titles for Edward and Sophie

Quote:
The title Viscount Severn is derived from the Welsh roots of Miss Rhys-Jones's family.

Mr Brooks-Baker said the title was "of little significance".

"Viscount Severn was used by minor members of the royal family years ago. It is an 18th Century title. There is a history of being given a secondary title so the eldest son can have it is a courtesy title," he said.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks, PrincessKoreen. I wonder which minor royals used the Severn title in the 18th Century. I have done a little bit of searching for some clues without success.

Severn itself is a river, the largest in the UK, I think.(??)

Tags
birth, countess of wessex, james mountbatten-windsor, sophie, viscount severn