The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:08 AM

Best Wishes

Best Wishes to Sophie and Edward on the birth of there son James. I'm glad this pregancy was easlier for Sophie, they needed a good break.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Royal Highness

Congratulations to the family!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Serene Highness

I will take this oppurtunity to vent my frustrations and complain yet again about the fact that the Wessex's chose to give their children lower titles than they deserve! We have far too little princes and princesses in the UK, (Okay, okay compared it to QVictorias day and age)
Old 12-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I will take this oppurtunity to vent my frustrations and complain yet again about the fact that the Wessex's chose to give their children lower titles than they deserve! We have far too little princes and princesses in the UK, (Okay, okay compared it to QVictorias day and age)
I am feeling the same way! I think that trying to keep your children out of the media is one thing,but sometimes I think it is overboard. Their christmas card this year is not even with family. The children are the grandchildren of the Queen! It seems as if Louise could be seen during a few events. Don't get me wrong I really like sophie but sometimes I think that this is taking it to far. Ann's children were seen as children and they did not have titles!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Serene Highness

I think they should have been given Prince & Princess titles as well. It's their right as grandchildren of the soverign. How will they feel when they get older? I agree w auntie that there aren't alot of princes and princesses anymore. Once the older generation (Queen's generation) die off, there will only be Charles and his siblings with Prince/Princess titles and the next generation there will be fewer: Wm, Harry, Beatrice & Eugenie. That's not alot. True, Wm and Harry's wives will be titled, as will their children, but that's still not alot. I don't get it.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I will take this opportunity to vent my frustrations and complain yet again about the fact that the Wessex's chose to give their children lower titles than they deserve! We have far too little princes and princesses in the UK, (Okay, okay compared it to QVictorias day and age)
I don't know what to say, Complain to Prince Charles and the Labour Government. This is Prince Charles' view of the royal family, only polo playing alcholics need apply.
Edward and Sophie have given their children dignity, so they want be put out for the media to feast on - good for them. Titles mean nothing these days, I have a British earl living in my street I watch him take out the trash in his slippers.
Now Louise and James will be judged by their actions and not by their title.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Aristocracy

Just thought I would point out that when Prince Andrew was born they tried to keep him out of the lime light, but they gave up because people thought there was something wrong with him.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Aristocracy

I'm fairly sure that Louise and James are a prince and princess, and simply do not use the titles. If they get older and desire to do so, I believe they can. As always, we are on the outside looking in. These are two very different parents: one raised privately, the other publicly. They have waited many years to have children, and of course will have discussed their future children at length. Based on experiences from both worlds, it appears for now that they have chosen something more akin to Sophie's growing up. Of course, the flaw in this is that the children are still partaking in the luxuries of being a part of the Royal Family. Eventually, they should be expected to give back for this, but that should be of their own accord.

Also, remember that Louise and James's next oldest cousins- particularly Beatrice- were seen out a lot when they were younger. The Yorks were constantly criticized for several things about the girls when they made appearances: the way the girls were dressed to match, for example, even though we are told they wanted it this way. Sophie and Edward saw this, and after so many years of waiting for a family may simply choose not to go through the constant criticism that is taking one's royal children into public. After so long a wait, they may not want to be criticized for every outfit their children are wearing, for the children's mannerisms, etc. Also, they are seeing now what happened with Beatrice. She was raised almost entirely privately after she was, say, twelve. Still, she was paraded around often as a child. The result is that she is taking her early public life and her later private life and has combined them into a disastrous public image. The Wessexes have the advantage of being the last royal parents of their generation, and are likely simply striving to learn from the mistakes of others.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness

I wouldn't say Pss Beatrice has a disastrous public image. She's behaving basically like any young woman her age. It could be alot worse. I don't think her persona stems from being photographed alot as a child.

I can understand Edward and Sophie not wanting to parade their children out in public, but there is an expectation of at least catching glimpse from time to time and they both should know this, esp. Edward. I think they generate more criticism and speculation for NOT allowing photos of their children, esp. Louise who's old enough now, out to the public. I'm not saying they should invite the papps into their home to scare the kid with a million bulb flashes, but a nice professional portrait or professional photos (say, from uncle Andrew) would be nice and appreciated.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Courtier

I would have to disaggree, the only way Louise and James can get the titles of princess and Prince was if something fairly drastic happened and Edward suddently became King or heir. A leter patent was issued removing the right of all Edward's descendants - they can't suddenly decide to start using titles they never had.
I know this sounds funny, but it makes no difference how much access the media had to James and Louise they will probably not get attention unless of course they toddle out of a bar at night. I speak to a lot of journalists - some who cover royal beats and lets face it Sophie and Edward are not news worthy. Only 10% of Edward and Sophie's engagements are covered by the press, mostly by local publications. They usually only there if there is a request for pics and coverage.
Louise has now been attending day care for a while, the press have not been asked to stay away. They are staying away on their own accord. Why? I assure you that the British tabloids have not suddenly grown hearts. It is because of Sophie's problems of giving birth to her and her eye-problem. When Sophie's company collapsed some of the newspapers covered it, they are received letters adn emails from people noting their bias against a woman who has endured terrible pain and suffering in her private life. It came as such a shock to some newspapers that they suspended Sophie bashing. Apparently the British public feel that the newspapers are nothing but big bullies hitting Sophie when she is already down and purposely targeting her disabled toddler who amost died at birth is not going to win them any friends. The press are thus very anxious when dealing with them. They simply wait for approved photo calls and pics directly from them.
So Edward and Sophie are simply abiding their time, waiting for William and Harry to start doing real engagements, get their girlfriends pregnant and get married. Than they can simply disappear. And they couldn't be happier.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Courtier

Hmm, I see what Claire is saying about the media simply not wanting to take pictures of Edward and Sophie's children.

But on the other hand, I agree with Bella too that some of the lack of pictures seems to be Edward and Sophie's doing, for example their Christmas card picture. I found it almost bizarre, to be honest...Edward and Sophie were two little figures amidst a large group of others, and there was no Louise. It definitely seemed deliberate, like they were stating their complete disinterest in revealing any more about themselves or their private lives than they absolutely had to.

Obviously there's no real necessity for the public to see pictures of Louise or James. They could basically be hidden away from the public gaze for most of their childhoods and the public wouldn't have the right to demand anything else. But I'd love to see a few official photographs (I like Bella's idea of one by Prince Andrew!)
Old 12-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

Claire, I didn't realise the patent had been issued. You're right, that completely changes the issue.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
A leter patent was issued removing the right of all Edward's descendants - they can't suddenly decide to start using titles they never had.
There was no such patent issued.

Letters Patent issued in 1917 (and in force today) state that all male-line grandchildren of a monarch have a princely status and the style of 'Royal Highness'.
Thus, Louise and James are technically HRH Princess Louise of Wessex and HRH Prince James of Wessex, Viscount Severn.

However, Sophie and Edward requested, and the Queen agreed, that their children should have the style of the children of an Earl, rather then Prince of the UK. This is completely condidtional though, and once they grow up, they can choose to be called Prince James and Princess Louise of Wessex, unless new Letter Patent are issued by then.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Courtier

The same letter patent that recreated the title of Earl of Wessex removed the right of Edward's children. You can't have it both ways. If you deny that Edward is the Earl of Wessex then yes, his children are titled. As he is the Earl of Wessex his children are Vicount Severn and Lady Louise.

I have been email the letter patent which doesn't included anything about the kids or the entailing of either titles (progenitor). So I have forward the argument to Burke's. I think I will sent it off to BP as well but they never get back to you. Hopefully we will finally get some confermation about this.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I just love Sophie and really believe that she and Edward have made a MAJOR decision to take control of their lives and future that of the children's future to the best of their ability. Wise to not be too titled in this strange age were royality is critized for breathing. Well done to them both I also love baby's name.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Gentry

wow thats a wonderful names...but i wonder where did they get theo from? i was really hoping for leopold lol
Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The same letter patent that recreated the title of Earl of Wessex removed the right of Edward's children. You can't have it both ways. If you deny that Edward is the Earl of Wessex then yes, his children are titled. As he is the Earl of Wessex his children are Vicount Severn and Lady Louise.
Considering some of what they've been doing with titles and precedence recently, I think they very well could have it both ways. Sometimes it almost seems as though they're making it up as they go along these days.

There's no mention of Letters Patent regarding children here:

The Royal Family > HRH The Earl of Wessex > Marriage and family

It just talks about an agreement.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Gentry

The name Theo could probably be Greek.. For me it sounds Greek. After all Prince Phillip is Greek. Or could it be a form of Theodore?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinulord View Post
The name Theo could probably be Greek.. For me it sounds Greek. After all Prince Phillip is Greek. Or could it be a form of Theodore?
It's from Sophie's side of the family. Her grandfather's name was Theophyllis and that was a family name there were others too!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Origin of "Theo"

As I wrote somewhere here before, theo comes from ancient Greek meaning God

Tags
birth, countess of wessex, james mountbatten-windsor, sophie, viscount severn