Sophie Gives Birth to a Son: James, Viscount Severn - December 17, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I see what Claire is saying about the media simply not wanting to take pictures of Edward and Sophie's children.

But on the other hand, I agree with Bella too that some of the lack of pictures seems to be Edward and Sophie's doing, for example their Christmas card picture. I found it almost bizarre, to be honest...Edward and Sophie were two little figures amidst a large group of others, and there was no Louise. It definitely seemed deliberate, like they were stating their complete disinterest in revealing any more about themselves or their private lives than they absolutely had to.

Obviously there's no real necessity for the public to see pictures of Louise or James. They could basically be hidden away from the public gaze for most of their childhoods and the public wouldn't have the right to demand anything else. But I'd love to see a few official photographs (I like Bella's idea of one by Prince Andrew!)

Claire, I didn't realise the patent had been issued. You're right, that completely changes the issue.

Claire said:
A leter patent was issued removing the right of all Edward's descendants - they can't suddenly decide to start using titles they never had.

There was no such patent issued.

Letters Patent issued in 1917 (and in force today) state that all male-line grandchildren of a monarch have a princely status and the style of 'Royal Highness'.
Thus, Louise and James are technically HRH Princess Louise of Wessex and HRH Prince James of Wessex, Viscount Severn.

However, Sophie and Edward requested, and the Queen agreed, that their children should have the style of the children of an Earl, rather then Prince of the UK. This is completely condidtional though, and once they grow up, they can choose to be called Prince James and Princess Louise of Wessex, unless new Letter Patent are issued by then.

The same letter patent that recreated the title of Earl of Wessex removed the right of Edward's children. You can't have it both ways. If you deny that Edward is the Earl of Wessex then yes, his children are titled. As he is the Earl of Wessex his children are Vicount Severn and Lady Louise.

I have been email the letter patent which doesn't included anything about the kids or the entailing of either titles (progenitor). So I have forward the argument to Burke's. I think I will sent it off to BP as well but they never get back to you. Hopefully we will finally get some confermation about this.

Last edited:
I just love Sophie and really believe that she and Edward have made a MAJOR decision to take control of their lives and future that of the children's future to the best of their ability. Wise to not be too titled in this strange age were royality is critized for breathing. Well done to them both I also love baby's name.

wow thats a wonderful names...but i wonder where did they get theo from? i was really hoping for leopold lol

The same letter patent that recreated the title of Earl of Wessex removed the right of Edward's children. You can't have it both ways. If you deny that Edward is the Earl of Wessex then yes, his children are titled. As he is the Earl of Wessex his children are Vicount Severn and Lady Louise.

Considering some of what they've been doing with titles and precedence recently, I think they very well could have it both ways. Sometimes it almost seems as though they're making it up as they go along these days.

There's no mention of Letters Patent regarding children here:

The Royal Family > HRH The Earl of Wessex > Marriage and family

It just talks about an agreement.

The name Theo could probably be Greek.. For me it sounds Greek. After all Prince Phillip is Greek. Or could it be a form of Theodore?

The name Theo could probably be Greek.. For me it sounds Greek. After all Prince Phillip is Greek. Or could it be a form of Theodore?

It's from Sophie's side of the family. Her grandfather's name was Theophyllis and that was a family name there were others too!

Origin of "Theo"

As I wrote somewhere here before, theo comes from ancient Greek meaning God

Sophie"s son's full name is James Alexander Philip Theo.
Theo means god in Greek

I congratulate Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, on the recent birth of their son, James Windsor, Viscount Severn!

Regarding the name of Theo, it is in fact a short form of Theobald, from the Old German meaning "brave people", or of Theodore, from the Greek meaning "gift of god".

I wish the new royal a long and healthy life.

It would be nice to see pic's of the new baby. Its very rare to see lady lousie. It would be awesome to see the both kids together.

I agree with Bella. I don´t see neither Beatrice nor Eugenie being seen in a bad light just because they were photographed as children. After all, is you are a famous person, it´s normal that you should be photographed, especially insofar as nobility. Otherwise, rumours will start immediately that there is something wrong with the child.

The photos are probably coming soon. To be brought for the Wessex Youth Trust. I expect them soon, hopefully.

I didn't even hear! That's lovely. Sophie's already 42, that gives late mothers hope! ;)
I like the name James, too.

I really hope we will get pix of him with his sister

Me Too, even i hope to get a pic of him with his sis

He is cute, I hope to see a picture with the whole family. When is the christening?

Surely before his eldest cousin's wedding!:lol:

What a cute baby. Sophie just glows. In the first picture link posted by Shikha Pal, Prince Edward looks a lot like his brother Prince Andrew from the side IMHO

I have been email the letter patent which doesn't included anything about the kids or the entailing of either titles (progenitor). So I have forward the argument to Burke's. I think I will sent it off to BP as well but they never get back to you. Hopefully we will finally get some confermation about this.

Louise and James are automatically HRH Prince/Princess of the UK as male-line grandchildren of The Queen under her grandfather's 1917 Letters Patent.

At the request of their parents, The Queen agreed they could be styled as the children of an Earl (which they also are), but this in no way alters their rights under the current letters patent to be Prince/Princess.

The Queen has not issued a Royal Warrant or new Letters Patent removing her grandchildren's rank or titles and they remain free to assume them at any time without special permission from The Sovereign.

I was asked yesterday if James was circumsized. I remember all the fuss that was made with William and Harry and well, I'm grateful that nobody has commented anything. I was hoping for photos by now actually, James is a month old and it is Sophie's birthday tomorrow so I'm holding thumbs. My how time does fly.

Congratulations to the family. The baby is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom