The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hes Also actually HRH And A Prince

Old 12-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Poppy, children of viscounts and below (baron, etc. on downward) are The Honourable. Sons of Earls are also The Honourable. Daughters of Earls and above are Ladies.
Viscount Linley's children, both of them, the girl and the boy, are The Hon.
I know, but not the eldest son. Pince Edwards son is not an Honorable, he is Viscount Severn.

Earl Spencer, for instance has six children

Lady Kitty Spencer
Lady Eliza Spencer
Lady Katya Spencer
Louis Spencer, Viscount Althorp
The Hon Edmund Spencer
Lady Lara Spencer

Yes the titling (regarding sons) is a bit weird, but I think it had all to do,
initially, with inheritance (of title, land and property).

Aside: Viscount Linleys wife can, technically be called, Serena, Lady Linley, but I don’t think she is Lady Serena Linley.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Serene Highness

Congratulations to the couple!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations to the family!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Aside: Viscount Linleys wife can, technically be called, Serena, Lady Linley, but I don’t think she is Lady Serena Linley.
No, she cannot be called Lady Serena. I see her called it, however, constantly in the press. It always bugs me. Serena is an Honourable by birth, though. She was The Hon. Serena Stanhope and even now I think she can be called The Hon. Lady Linley. Honourable, I know, is a life style. The late Sir Angus Ogilvy was son of an Earl so he was an Honourable, and hence Princess Alexandra being "The Hon. Lady Ogilvy".

The press also calls Viscount Linley "Viscount David Linley" a lot, even though it's not correct form.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
No, she cannot be called Lady Serena. I see her called it, however, constantly in the press. It always bugs me. Serena is an Honourable by birth, though. She was The Hon. Serena Stanhope and even now I think she can be called The Hon. Lady Linley. Honourable, I know, is a life style. The late Sir Angus Ogilvy was son of an Earl so he was an Honourable, and hence Princess Alexandra being "The Hon. Lady Ogilvy".

The press also calls Viscount Linley "Viscount David Linley" a lot, even though it's not correct form.
No she can't be called that. Princess Alexandra is only called that because her husband was knighted by the Queen, and consequently he became a Sir, and she: Lady Oglivy. He was orginally The Hon. Angus Oglivy, once he was knighted he was technically The Hon, Sir Angus Oglivy. Lady Linleys married name surpasses her maiden name in rank, so she no longer uses it. Angus Oglivy was born with a title, and he also acquired, an honory one. Laurence Olivier's wife, Joan Plowright, is technically, Dame Jane Plowright, Baroness Olivier (the confusion I know)

Lady Linley probably could be called: The Hon Serena Stanhope, Viscountess Linley, but not the The Hon. Lady Linley, as that is not her husbands title.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:02 AM

Well, poppy, I just imagine all the people glancing over this exchange of ours and shaking their heads in frustration, or confusion, or something worse.
So to recap and clarify:

Being a descendant of Her Majesty The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh....
James Alexander Philip Theo Mountbatten-Windsor
will be known as James Windsor, Viscount Severn (Lord Severn)
Heir Apparent of HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex

In Accordance With Letters Patent 1917, being born grandchild of the reigning Monarch, he is entitled also to the style of....
His Royal Highness Prince James of Wessex
Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Courtier

Ahh what a lovely name !
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Gentry

I was under the impression that he'll be called Viscount Severn or Lord Severn in polite speech or my lord, etc. When Philip dies, I suppose little James would take as his courtesy title "Earl of Essex," while his father would become Duke of Edinburgh. Louise would continue to be Lady Louise. In law, the children continue to be HRH Princess Louise and HRH Prince James of Wessex, though they are using subsidiary titles. Camilla is, by law, Princess Charles of Wales, even if she uses the subsidiary title Duchess of Cornwall. The royals are a bunch of people going about in disguise for the sake of public opinion.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

ohh i like the name, rolls off so beautifully. he looked to be a sweet little tyke i'm glad they used Phillip and i've always loved the name alexander, i can't remember a recent James- solid british name, but i'm wondering where Theo fits in- what is sophies fathers name? ancestors? just curious. i must add i like the ring of Prince James of Wessex much more than Viscount Severn (its very similar to Swedens son, sverre) jmo. will it be up to Louise and James how they want to be styled as they get older?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Courtier

I actually think we might be all wrong here. No where has it been said that the titles of Earl of Wessex and Duke of Edinburgh will be passed on to along the line.
This information was included in the leter patent creating Edward the Earl of Wessex, since the info was never published in full, we simply don't know if James will inherit this title. If Edward is given the Duke of Edinburgh title it will be a new creation needing a new patent and thus it will be Charles decision if it is passed down the line.
No Louise and James can't decide when they are older what their title is - that was decided upon Edward's succession to the Earl of Wessex title.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
ohh i like the name, rolls off so beautifully. he looked to be a sweet little tyke i'm glad they used Phillip and i've always loved the name alexander, i can't remember a recent James- solid british name, but i'm wondering where Theo fits in- what is sophies fathers name? ancestors? just curious. i must add i like the ring of Prince James of Wessex much more than Viscount Severn (its very similar to Swedens son, sverre) jmo. will it be up to Louise and James how they want to be styled as they get older?
I agree about how "Prince James of Wessex" sounds. It's beautiful.

But you mean of course, when you compare Sverre to Severn, Norway not Sweden.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Serene Highness

oops i'm so embarrassed thanks for the clarification. thanks for answer on their titles too, it will be interesting to see how things unfold and such fun to watch them grown up.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Aristocracy

There's a town in Maryland called Severn and I went to high school there for a year. We had friends who lived there too.

I don't believe Camilla would be "Princess Charles of Wales" since Charles himself is not Prince Charles of Wales. If in the unlikely event that he would have no other titles, wouldn't she have been "HRH Princess Charles"?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Nobility

CasiraghiTrio, your explanation is exactly right.

bbb - Severn is not a name - at least not a given name. It is a River. British titles are usually based on a town, river, or other place name, although some just use the surname (see Diana's brother, Earl Spencer).

It is very irritating that the media continually mis-use the titles. Diana was the main case in point. She should have been known as either The Princess of Wales, or Princess Charles (like Princess Michael of Kent). I think BP just thought it was going to be a losing battle to try and change it.

On whether Louise and James could assume the titles HRH, which could legally have been theirs, I suppose it all depends on what the monarch of the day decides. The monarch is the fount of all honours and can adapt usual procedure any time. (Lord Mountbatten asked that his title pass through the female line to his daughters as he had no son, but then asked that it should revert to male only after that! This was agreed.)

Basically you can only be Princess (girls name) or Lady (girls name) if you are born to it - if your father is a Prince, in the first instance, or if your father is a Duke, Marquess or Earl, in the second instance. If you are the wife of a Prince, you will be Princess (husband's given name) unless there is a title (Duke of York or Earl of Wessex giving the wives the title of Duchess of York and Countess of Wessex). If you are the wife of a title holder (Marquess, Earl, Viscount, Baron) who can also be addressed as Lord (title name), you would be addressed as Lady (title name). Your given name should not appear.

From the male point of view, a similar thing happens. If you are Lord Lothian, you will be the holder of the title of either Marquess of Lothian, Earl of Lothian, Viscount Lothian or Baron Lothian (actually it is the first one in this case!). If you are Lord Charles Lothian, you will be the younger son of either the Marquess of Lothian or the Earl of Lothian. (Note that daughters of Earls are all Lady (given name followed by surname), whilst sons of Earls either carry a courtesy title - the eldest - or are merely The Honourable (given name followed by surname). This is the one time when the women are given a better deal!

So James Windsor, Viscount Severn, will normally be referred to officially as Viscount Severn. But when he gets older he is likely to be referred to by his friends as James Severn!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Gentry

Royal titles for women work the same way that the old Mrs. John Smith honorific worked. Because Camilla married Prince Charles, but is not a princess in her own right, she should most properly called HRH The Princess Charles of Wales or just The Princess of Wales. Her subsidiary title is The Duchess of Cornwall because Charles is also the Duke of Cornwall. Princess Diana was never actually "Princess Diana." Her correct title was Princess Charles or the Princess of Wales. I don't even know Princess Michael's real first name. She's always just been Princess Michael. If he were a mere Mister, she's be Mrs. Michael Windsor, if we used the old system.

I doubt either Louise or James are going to want to have anything to do with royal titles when they're grown, since their parents will raise them that way and they'll want to be normal people. But at the moment they're a Princess and a Prince of Wessex under the law.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Nobility

I'm not surprised to see it's James somehow I saw it coming and it's a good mathc set with Louisa.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Commoner

I am a bit disappointed with the names they chose for the little Viscount. I would have chosen James, Edward, Albert, Phillip, Charles. But who am I to complain. I am glad they have a healthy baby.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison20 View Post
So James Windsor, Viscount Severn, will normally be referred to officially as Viscount Severn. But when he gets older he is likely to be referred to by his friends as James Severn!
Absolutely. It's totally normal. One of many cases in point is Edward, Baron Downpatrick who goes by "Edward Downpatrick" with everything. Teachers, friends, everyone treats the Downpatrick as his surname. He never goes by Edward Windsor.

Obviously, Linley does the same thing. If you look on his company site, he is there just David Linley. I wonder if he will keep his company's name the same when he inherits the earldom of Snowdon. Maybe not because Linley is such a great name in furniture, and it might confuse people if he was suddenly "David Snowdon" furniture.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Aristocracy

This is a little late but many congratulations to the couple and little Louise!

Tags
birth, countess of wessex, james mountbatten-windsor, sophie, viscount severn