Diana and Sophie, Countess of Wessex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. If Diana were to make those kinds of remarks, it wouldn't have been around the Queen. The questioning about Sophie's class/salary/wages doesn't ring true to me. Diana had her faults, but no-one has ever accused her of snobbery.

i find it hard to believe the story about diana being so rude to sophie in front of the queen. diana won't dare because it put herself in such a bad light and the queen would be more incline to support sophie and believe the worse of diana.

she is not very popular among the people maybe only popluar with the queen
No, Sophie is not that popular with people in the UK, IMO.

Could Diana be bitchy, yes, with a vengence but although she probably asked Sophie a lot of questions, they would probably not have been visibly bitchy if HM was present. It could have been a case of the girlfriend being hyper sensitive and feeling inadequate.

Burrel would not have been there, he was Dianas' toadie and you don't take your butler everywhere with you.

I don't think Sophie tried to copy Diana in any way, she simply styled her hair in the fashion of the day.

While I think it's plausible that Diana could/would be bitchy to Sophia I can't believe that she would be so rude in the presence of QE2 and QEQM, or if she was that they wouldn't put a stop to it promptly! I didn't realize Sophia wasn't very popular with the people. How come?

Last edited:
Personally I believe it. I heard it years ago from a woman who worked for the Queen, and since than I have heard it from many mouths independantly.

Why is Sophie not popular with the British people? Because she married Edward. If she married William she would be the most popular woman in Britian, instead she came second in the most hatred poll of British women in 2001, right under a serial killer.
IMO The British people are very suspectable to spin and rumours. They believe tabloid stories. At an early age Edward was assigned the role of dumb, lazy weakling and they have never changed from that. The tabloid code for them is Baldy and Blondie, or the Wallflowers.
The sad thing is Edward has no want to change them perception of himself, he doesn't became friends with journalists in pubs and leak personal information. Regardless of how small, which annoys the press as they see him as been aloof and arragant in not playing their game, the problem is Edward believes that if he corrects rumours and gives them small information they will want more which he is not willing to give.
In a poll the British people stated that William was the hardest working royal, Edward the laziest. That he lives in a huge house with hundreds of servants and does nothing but take their money. Telling ordinary British people that at the age of sixteen Edward had already done more engagements in Canada than William has done in his whole life, is pointless. The fact that Edward house is small in comparision to household purposey built for Charles, Andrew and Anne and that the room count the tabloids keep given only makes sense if you are counting selves and cupboards as well - doesn't ring well with the British. I tried telling a British man that not having the monarchy is not going to mean more money in his pocket, for some reason they seem to think that to off Edward and Sophie means several more hundred pounds in their pocket for the pub at night.
And Edward does nothing. Personally I think that it is Edward and Sophie's intentions to wait until William and Haryr marry and settle into royal life and than when Charles became king and starts scalling down the monarchy, volunteer to stop doing engagements altogether and concerntrate only on the DOEA.
From Edward 's own admission he is a old, ugly boring man, of course noone is going to make him into a celebrity and celebrity is what modern royalty is all about. Sad actually from what I know of Edward and Sophie and I have been told this by many people, including a European royal that Edward and Sophie are the best royals in Britain, great people and certain would be the most popular if people bothered to know them. Our loss I suppose.

Why is Sophie not popular with the British people? Because she married Edward. If she married William she would be the most popular woman in Britian, instead she came second in the most hatred poll of British women in 2001, right under a serial killer.
Do you have a link to this poll, again I can't find any mention of it. Whilst Sophie is not admired, nobody would bother, IMO to hate her! She is not popular because she is so blahhhhh. She doesn't appear to have done anything good to remember her by.
IMO The British people are very suspectable to spin and rumours. They believe tabloid stories. At an early age Edward was assigned the role of dumb, lazy weakling and they have never changed from that. The tabloid code for them is Baldy and Blondie, or the Wallflowers.
I don't feel they get bad press, they just don't get any. Nor do I feel that I or the British people are susceptible to spin, anymore than the average person anywhere on this forum or out in the real world. I have scoured the news sites, past and present and cannot find one reference to Baldy, Blondie or the wallflowers, do you have a link?
In a poll the British people stated that William was the hardest working royal, Edward the laziest. That he lives in a huge house with hundreds of servants and does nothing but take their money.
Do you have a link to this
I tried telling a British man that not having the monarchy is not going to mean more money in his pocket, for some reason they seem to think that to off Edward and Sophie means several more hundred pounds in their pocket for the pub at night.
I find your remarks funny, neither I nor my friends go into pubs, let alone spend hundreds of pounds in there on any night. To judge the entire British people on one man, is in itself a little worrying.

Last edited:
In the Mirror ran the poll among its readers and Sophie came second to Maxine Carr, Sorry but have to ask the mirrors readers.

I'm afriad to say that the paparazzi as well as journos on the royal beat do refer to Sophie and Edward as Baldy and Blondie. And yes according to the PR watchday, the British people, followed by the Russians and Australian are the most suspectible to spin through all types of the media.

It was a Yougov poll that focussed on adults between the ages of 40 to 14, that found William the hardest working royal. Many news agencies and the monarchy itself use these polls. But I don't remember who funded this one, only that we all had a good laugh at it. I remember it was around the time a MP recommended that the Queen move in the Millenuim Dome and give BP and Windsor to the tourists. 80 % of the people polled agreed with her. Most wanted Kate Moss as Queen and Ozzy Osbourne as PM.

I have help carry out many of these polls, albeit not on the monarchy. But try one for yourself, try to ask people other that those within your circle and have the same thoughts and social scene as yourself. I'm afriad to say that yes the average Brition does believe that the end of the monarchy will be mean more money in their pocket.

In the Mirror ran the poll among its readers and Sophie came second to Maxine Carr, Sorry but have to ask the mirrors readers.
I rang The Mirror instead and they said they have no recollection of such a poll, but I did leave my number and if the nice young man can find anything, he will phone me back. The only reference I can find on the net, to a poll concerning Sophie is this - 7th July 1999
The Sun conducted a phone poll of it's readers asking which couple "were more popular in Britain today", Victoria and David or the Count and Countess of Wessex. Sophie and Edward scored a narrow victory over Posh and Beckham. 25,728 readers said the Royals were Britain's most popular couple - with 25,220 backing the Beckhams.
I'm afriad to say that the paparazzi as well as journos on the royal beat do refer to Sophie and Edward as Baldy and Blondie. And yes according to the PR watchday, the British people, followed by the Russians and Australian are the most suspectible to spin through all types of the media.
I can't say that I have heard of a PR Watchday in the UK and they do not appear to be called names in the media here, a friend of ours who writes for the Telegraph has never heard anyone use that description when referring to Edward or Sophie and Jenny Bond also has no knowledge of it.
It was a Yougov poll that focussed on adults between the ages of 40 to 14, that found William the hardest working royal. Many news agencies and the monarchy itself use these polls. But I don't remember who funded this one, only that we all had a good laugh at it. I remember it was around the time a MP recommended that the Queen move in the Millenuim Dome and give BP and Windsor to the tourists. 80 % of the people polled agreed with her. Most wanted Kate Moss as Queen and Ozzy Osbourne as PM.
I know a fair bit about the YouGov polls and again had a look for any such poll on the members site, to no avail. I know that many agencies use YouGov, but SS & PK have no knowledge of any poll for the monarchy or a poll conducted under their name targetting anyone under the age of 18
I have help carry out many of these polls, albeit not on the monarchy. But try one for yourself, try to ask people other that those within your circle and have the same thoughts and social scene as yourself. I'm afriad to say that yes the average Brition does believe that the end of the monarchy will be mean more money in their pocket.
I have asked people outwith my social circle, such as permanent and casual staff, also a variety of people when we are on base. I haven't yet found one that believes they will have several more hundred pounds to spend on beer if Eddy or Soph (as they call them) were to go.

Last edited:
While I think it's plausible that Diana could/would be bitchy to Sophia I can't believe that she would be so rude in the presence of QE2 and QEQM, or if she was that they wouldn't put a stop to it promptly! I didn't realize Sophia wasn't very popular with the people. How come?
thecustard.tv links and lists • Great Britions

100 WORST BRITONS
Aired Saturday 10 May, 8.00-10.35pm Channel 4, presented by Jimmy Carr.
Candidates are all British, alive, not involved in legal action and not in jail.
-------------------
I think Sophie is just not seen to be doing a lot of anything. When she had her own company, many thought she was fantastic, a breath of fresh air, someone who actually worked for a living. Then of course we had the fake sheikh scandal, followed by her company being liquidated owing 1000's of pounds.

Edwards company also went bust, owing a substantial amount of money.
----------------
Sophie Wessex – heroine of Britain's closet republicans - This Britain, UK - Independent.co.uk
Sophiegate is a huge blow to the Windsors' rehabilitation strategy, but the nation isn't ready to abolish them – yet Sophie Wessex – heroine of Britain's closet republicans

I went to go get the file, and yep pretty certain that it was the Mirror that held the poll, please check the Sunday Mirror, as well as online polls. I see that they also had a poll about who you dislike the most, Edward or Sophie. Sophie won that one too. Both are accredited to the Mirror.
The UK (Yougov) poll was about William and Harry, recently look in the last year.

Here are some articles:

Mori poll :
Ipsos MORI - Monarchy Poll, The News of the World
The Age: Royal Esteem lifts in times of sadness
theage.com.au - Royal esteem lifts in time of sadness
The Mirror: Sparkling Jewel in the Crown
SPARKLING JEWEL IN THE ROYALS' CROWN - Mirror.co.uk

I don't see how these quotes back up your arguments? Where's the Baldy and Blondie- quote? While the polls are not really favorable, they not as bad as you suggested. IMHO, of course.

Here are some articles:
Mori poll :
Ipsos MORI - Monarchy Poll, The News of the World
The Age: Royal Esteem lifts in times of sadness
theage.com.au - Royal esteem lifts in time of sadness
The Mirror: Sparkling Jewel in the Crown
SPARKLING JEWEL IN THE ROYALS' CROWN - Mirror.co.uk

None of these are the polls you quoted and none are of course YouGov, although the Mirror mentions an old poll, but again not one that concerned Sophie. The first and second link do not mention Sophie and the third is basically saying she has not been taken to our hearts but is getting there for James Whittaker. There is also no mention of Blondie or Baldy.

How we got so far off topic I don't know. :lol:

I don't see how these quotes back up your arguments? Where's the Baldy and Blondie- quote? While the polls are not really favorable, they not as bad as you suggested. IMHO, of course.

They weren't suppose to, They were answering the original question of how Sophie is seen in Britian.

They weren't suppose to, They were answering the original question of how Sophie is seen in Britian.

Well, rather was seen. Not even has been seen. I doubt that after having had the second child with complications the countess is seen by a lot of people as unsympathetic. Maybe not many Britons are really interested in her - but then I think that not many Britons feel the need to actively dislike her.

Everyone knows opinion polls are not worth anything, I do not even know why you bother reading them.

I have never met one person who had anything bad to say about Sophie.

The press articles I read about her are always positive!

She always looks nice and most people in Britain are proud of her as a positive example of the British Royal family.

I can't imagine such behavior from Diana in front of Her Majesty The Queen..perhaps Diana shared catty comments to a servant but I can't imagine Diana being so outright rude in front of the Sovereign.

Sophie may come from humble origins but she did remarkably well for herself and had extremely well placed friends. Her former flatmate, Jeanie, is from Texas and the daughter of a very, very successful man and her current stepmother is a former "Miss Texas".

Sophie may come from humble origins but she did remarkably well for herself and had extremely well placed friends. Her former flatmate, Jeanie, is from Texas and the daughter of a very, very successful man and her current stepmother is a former "Miss Texas".

Sorry but a Miss Texas counts for exactly nothing outside of Texas.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say it counts for nothing. Some think that Sophie as Countess of Wessex counts for nothing outside the world of royalty, just like a Miss Texas counts for nothing outside the world of beauty contests.

Regardless of what interests you follow, the lives and achievements of any person count for something.

Yes. Anyone who wins a beauty pageant has to be accomplished in other areas as well.

Regardless of what interests you follow, the lives and achievements of any person count for something.

Do you have a link to this poll, again I can't find any mention of it. Whilst Sophie is not admired, nobody would bother, IMO to hate her! She is not popular because she is so blahhhhh. She doesn't appear to have done anything good to remember her by.I don't feel they get bad press, they just don't get any.

See, it really all does depend on press. You say Sophie is very blah and doesn't appear to have done anything good to be remembered by. I was just thinking the other day that I somewhat feel this way about Camilla, that I don't know a lot about her and apart from having an affair with Charles (which gives me a negative opinion of her) she doesn't seem to have done anything good to be remembered by. (Other than being a supportive wife who makes her husband happy--again quite similar to who Sophie appears to be).

But I think the reason I feel this way is because in Canada, I really never hear anything in the news about Charles and Camilla. To be honest, in the last six months I can remember reading at least one news report on Sophie (that she was going to have a baby) and absolutely nothing on Camilla. On the other hand, the news media around here does seem interested in William and Harry. The CBC showed an interview with them that they gave before the Diana concert, and Harry's tour of duty in Afghanistan really made headlines, probably partly because Canadian troops are in Afghanistan and Afghanistan makes top stories all the time.

So what I'm saying is, I think people in Britain aren't excited by Sophie partly because she's not glamorous and partly because of who she married. I don't see a dramatic difference, for example, between the accomplishments and behaviour of Sophie and Camilla. But Camilla is the wife of the future king so she's going to get more press intention and elicit more public reaction, even apart from the whole love triangle of the 1980s/90s.

My impression is that Sophie and Edward are liked very much here. Their first trip as a couple was to Prince Edward Island, and they were quite well received. I'd certainly travel for a couple of hours' drive to see them.

See, it really all does depend on press. You say Sophie is very blah and doesn't appear to have done anything good to be remembered by. I was just thinking the other day that I somewhat feel this way about Camilla, that I don't know a lot about her and apart from having an affair with Charles (which gives me a negative opinion of her) she doesn't seem to have done anything good to be remembered by. (Other than being a supportive wife who makes her husband happy--again quite similar to who Sophie appears to be).

But I think the reason I feel this way is because in Canada, I really never hear anything in the news about Charles and Camilla. To be honest, in the last six months I can remember reading at least one news report on Sophie (that she was going to have a baby) and absolutely nothing on Camilla. On the other hand, the news media around here does seem interested in William and Harry. The CBC showed an interview with them that they gave before the Diana concert, and Harry's tour of duty in Afghanistan really made headlines, probably partly because Canadian troops are in Afghanistan and Afghanistan makes top stories all the time.

So what I'm saying is, I think people in Britain aren't excited by Sophie partly because she's not glamorous and partly because of who she married. I don't see a dramatic difference, for example, between the accomplishments and behaviour of Sophie and Camilla. But Camilla is the wife of the future king so she's going to get more press intention and elicit more public reaction, even apart from the whole love triangle of the 1980s/90s.

IMO Diana may have had a private opinion of Sophie but they didn't know each other it would appear and Diana has been dead for 10 years so I am not sure those polls are really up to date.

But I think the reason I feel this way is because in Canada, I really never hear anything in the news about Charles and Camilla. To be honest, in the last six months I can remember reading at least one news report on Sophie (that she was going to have a baby) and absolutely nothing on Camilla. SNIPPED - So what I'm saying is, I think people in Britain aren't excited by Sophie partly because she's not glamorous and partly because of who she married.
You only have to compare the amount of newspaper coverage for the two women in their separate threads to see that Camilla receives more news coverage here than Sophie. ;) I don't think the question of whether Sophie is glamorous or not enters into it, she is certainly not memorable for a lot of people with regard to any charities she may be connected to and of course, the only reason we know of any of the women (although I can't quite work out why the comparison to Camilla found it's way into this thread, apart from the usual potshot), is because of their husbands.

You only have to compare the amount of newspaper coverage for the two women in their separate threads to see that Camilla receives more news coverage here than Sophie. ;) I don't think the question of whether Sophie is glamorous or not enters into it, she is certainly not memorable for a lot of people with regard to any charities she may be connected to and of course, the only reason we know of any of the women (although I can't quite work out why the comparison to Camilla found it's way into this thread, apart from the usual potshot), is because of their husbands.

I didn't mean to make a potshot at Camilla because I have nothing against her. I just found it sort of ironic that you said "Sophie doesn't seem to have done anything good to remember her by". Yet, as you mentioned, there's a lot of interest in Camilla and a lot of posting on the Camilla thread--but I don't see a major difference in the accomplishments of the two women. I don't think either of them have done nothing good or memorable, they've both shown they can be good wives and mothers. But public attention and interest doesn't have much to do with that, or with charity work or good deeds.

Mermaid1962--I think Sophie and Edward are well-liked in Canada too, now that I think about it I remember some coverage of Prince Edward visiting Canada fairly recently and press coverage seemed pretty complimentary of him.

I just found it sort of ironic that you said "Sophie doesn't seem to have done anything good to remember her by". Yet, as you mentioned, there's a lot of interest in Camilla and a lot of posting on the Camilla thread--but I don't see a major difference in the accomplishments of the two women. I don't think either of them have done nothing good or memorable, they've both shown they can be good wives and mothers. But public attention and interest doesn't have much to do with that, or with charity work or good deeds.
I suppose it depends how much interest one takes and in what. Osteoporosis was barely known about, unless you had a relative who suffered from it, now more women (and men) ask their doctor if that is what they are suffering from. The Royal Vet College has seen an increase in support and interest after the Duchess became involved. The same with the Brooke, just to name three. I can't think of any 'off hand' that Sophie supports. :flowers:

I suppose it depends how much interest one takes and in what. Osteoporosis was barely known about, unless you had a relative who suffered from it, now more women (and men) ask their doctor if that is what they are suffering from. The Royal Vet College has seen an increase in support and interest after the Duchess became involved. The same with the Brooke, just to name three. I can't think of any 'off hand' that Sophie supports. :flowers:

I think I more meant that public interest in a person doesn't have much to do with how much charity work they're involved in. Princess Anne is very hardworking but press coverage of her is minimal.

I can't think of any specific charities Sophie is involved in either, offhand. But I do seem to remember reading that she is involved in some organization which helps young children with health problems, because of Louise. Yeah, that's very vague. :lol: Watch someone come in to correct me and me get embarrassed at my inaccuracy.

I like Sophie though. She may have been seen (by Diana and/or others) as the next Diana, for better of worse, but her marriage has turned out so differently. I think it's impressive that Prince Edward's marriage is the only marriage among all the Queen's children that (so far) has worked out the first time--and, apart from the fake sheikh incident, without major scandal or upheaval on Sophie's part.

sophie-diana

I agree Mermaid. Diana had her faults but she wasn't known to be a snob (and didn't she wear Marks and Spencer underthings - I think Liz Tilberis described that once.). She may have been a little jealous that the older ladies were taking an interest in Sophie since I assume by then they had little use for Diana. She may have been slightly relieved at Sophie coming on board...remember this incident would have been just before she gave her Time and Space speech.

I agree. If Diana were to make those kinds of remarks, it wouldn't have been around the Queen. The questioning about Sophie's class/salary/wages doesn't ring true to me. Diana had her faults, but no-one has ever accused her of snobbery.

I can't think of any specific charities Sophie is involved in either, offhand. But I do seem to remember reading that she is involved in some organization which helps young children with health problems, because of Louise. Yeah, that's very vague. :lol: Watch someone come in to correct me and me get embarrassed at my inaccuracy.

Yep some clarity needed. Sophie has a number of charities and patronages. Her two largest and most high profile are ChildLine and Girlguides UK. She was the patron of a number of child health charities before the birth of Louise. Since the birth of Louise she has added five or six charities to her name - two cultural, two about farming and the countryside and the other is related to the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. She was already patron of Vision 2020: The right to sight before the birth of Louise. She has added no new patronages since James birth.

... Yet, as you mentioned, there's a lot of interest in Camilla and a lot of posting on the Camilla thread--but I don't see a major difference in the accomplishments of the two women. I don't think either of them have done nothing good or memorable, they've both shown they can be good wives and mothers. But public attention and interest doesn't have much to do with that, or with charity work or good deeds...
[snipped and my bolding]
I think I more meant that public interest in a person doesn't have much to do with how much charity work they're involved in. Princess Anne is very hardworking but press coverage of her is minimal.
I like Sophie though. She may have been seen (by Diana and/or others) as the next Diana, for better of worse, but her marriage has turned out so differently. I think it's impressive that Prince Edward's marriage is the only marriage among all the Queen's children that (so far) has worked out the first time--and, apart from the fake sheikh incident, without major scandal or upheaval on Sophie's part.[snipped]
Fully concurring with the above, I would like to note the following. Countess of Wessex is a likable private person, and good mother. It may safely be said that Countess of Wessex does her part of the charity work without blare of the trumpets surrounding her every move. It is totally wrong to draw any comparisons between Duchess of Cornwall and Countess of Wessex as they do not compete for the title "The Charity Champion".

Back
Top Bottom