The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,152
Definitely. The press did that with Viscountess Linley as well. MAJESTY magazine had her on the cover with a headline as to whether or not she was the "new Diana." Then there was an article about her style and so on. I think that Sophie didn't "spark the same interest" in part because she married the the Queen's third son, who wasn't very popular at the time, and also because she married in 1999 after all the uproar and scandal of that decade. There was more cynicism at the time of Edward and Sophie's marriage than there was during the 80s.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I think it was the press who hoped Sophie would turn into another media star like Diana!
But, whether it was intentional or inadvertent, she never sparked the same interest that Diana or Sarah Ferguson did.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,771
I suspect that Sophie and Diana did not really have much of a relationship at all. Sophie's relationship with Edward was only made public in 1994, by which time Diana had been separated from Charles for some time. They probably met on a handful of occassions, but I really doubt if there was any material interaction between the women.

The press, no doubt, raked up the whole issue about the physical similarity between Diana and Sophie once Sophie's engagement to Edward was announced (1999?). However, I think the two women were very different individuals, and never really "competing".
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Sternchen's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: xxx, Germany
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
As for Swessex being a "mature beauty", I will never think so. Even the Queen doesn't think so and Sophie is her favorite as I am repeatedly told.
Just wondering, how do you know what the Queen thinks?
__________________
Soccer is a game for 22 people that run around, play the ball, and one referee who makes a slew of mistakes, and in the end Germany always wins.
Gary Lineker
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Hissy's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Covington, United States
Posts: 146
Ha! Hello Sternchen! No, I don't know what the Queen thinks. I was referring to a comment the Queen made about how you wouldn't notice SW in a room of people (kind way of saying she's unremarkable.) I like your innocent !

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 742
I don't buy the Diana interrogating Sophie in from of the Queen, QM and Margaret she just wouldn't do it. The woman had manners she may off asked a question or two but I doubt it was anything like what has been written. Going by the story the Queen was happy enough to sit there and listen and not do anything something else I don't buy! She can handle polititions she could handle Diana. Besides how long does it take to look at a car? This also happened in 93 Diana was already seperated from Charles she may off been trying to warn her some way but I don't believe she did anything so cruel or stupid and then tell everyone about it. It is true about Sophie she is unnoticable always has been even her wedding was blah. We only heard a lot about her when she had that troubled pregnancy and then when the babies were born.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,152
I remember comparisons being made when Sophie was first known to be Edward's girlfriend: a blonde, blue-eyed young woman being chased to and from work by the press. I remember a quote from one photographer saying that the resemblance was eerie--until Sophie turned her back toward them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The press, no doubt, raked up the whole issue about the physical similarity between Diana and Sophie once Sophie's engagement to Edward was announced (1999?). However, I think the two women were very different individuals, and never really "competing".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
It is true about Sophie she is unnoticable always has been even her wedding was blah.
A bit of a thread-nap, I know, but just have to say: I thought the wedding was charming. Loved her tiara - so understated. The little girls and boys she had dressed in white with black capes were unexpectedly appealing. When the couple was walking out of the church you can see a radiant smile on one of the little girls - so sweet.

Also - truth to say, I am not a particular fan of how the Queen dresses - but at the Wessex wedding, I loved the color she chose and her hat was great (I'm not a hat person, either, but that hat was lovely). And the Queen was clearly happy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Tsar bobo Iv's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: knoxville, United States
Posts: 249
relationship with diana

i always wonder what kind of relationship did they have
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...20-493-700.png i found this picture to be very interesting because i never thought they really ever met each other
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 911
Who knows what is really said behind closed doors. However, it's now commonly known that Diana called reporters. I wouldn't be surprised if she felt some level of jealously at Sophie -- for any number of reasons. As we now know, Diana was not the most stable of women.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,471
Diana was, probably, not always stable, but she would have always outshone Sophie. Maybe Sophie didn't care. They often look alike, too bad for Sophie. Diana was first. Sophie was fortunate to have more stability and a husband who didn't have a lover.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,147
Other than coloring, I don't think there was much resemblance between Diana and Sophie.

I agree that they probably had little to do with one another, due to the timeline.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Diana [...] would have always outshone Sophie.
I don't think so. Sophie was a seriously beautiful young woman in the days she was dating Edward. Still is. She has matured elegantly. Perhaps there would be fans of Diana that would have been jealous of their idol's pre-eminence, but all-in-all I think Sophie would have had those who liked her and there would be others who would like Diana, and those who would like both, or neither.


Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Maybe Sophie didn't care. They often look alike, too bad for Sophie. Diana was first.
Sophie probably didn't - her focus seems to have always been squarely on her family. Diana's fans seem to care, though. What is the significance of Diana 'being first'? Diana could have taken lessons from Sophie, as it turns out. IMO Sophie comports herself in a way that it would have been nice for Diana to so have done. If Diana had kept her personal life private and proceeded with dignity and grace - what a different story it would have been for her, her sons, her nation.

Curious why you say that its 'too bad for Sophie' to look like Diana? Superficially they do but in reality Sophie's looks are very different from Diana's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Sophie was fortunate to have more stability and a husband who didn't have a lover.
As we know, she didn't have a husband who had a lover - initially. She wound up making other choices and fell in love elsewhere - and that started the thread unravelling.

As for Sophie, never assume I'd say. One never knows the private trials ar tribulations of anyone. You assume - as do I - that all is well with Sophie, but that is because she is a discreet woman who keeps her life secure with clear boundaries. As it happens we know that Sophie has had a enormously difficult time around her pregnancies - but we as the public have never heard her complaints.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rapid River, United States
Posts: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar bobo Iv View Post
i always wonder what kind of relationship did they have
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...20-493-700.png i found this picture to be very interesting because i never thought they really ever met each other
I love this photo- 2 of my favorite Royal ladies!
I also love Sophie's hat.
__________________
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall- Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Springfield, United States
Posts: 81
As much as I adored Diana, I tend to think that she wouldn't spend much time around someone she perceived as being competition for the media attention. I always felt that Diana deliberately dressed to take the attention away from other members of the royal family. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seemed she wanted to be the star of the show, and that's why she was fine with Fergie. Fergie got some attention from the media but usually not the good kind. Side by side with Diana, there was no comparison.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,664
You know, I think Diana would've really liked The Countess of Wessex. Diana was going through a lot when Sophie first came on the royal scene in the 90's but I would like to think they would've built up a friendship over the years.

I don't think Diana would've tried to steal the spotlight from Sophie in anyway. I don't think she would have done that to Sophie. I also don't think they would be competing against each other either.

I think Diana tried to be the best Princess of Wales she could be. She dressed well because it went with the job and also Diana mentioned in an interview she did with Charles in the 80's that Charles liked Diana to dress well and he actually took a great interest in her wardrobe. I did think Diana stood out a bit more amongst members of the royal family. Sometimes I think that happened because of Diana's youth and her style was a little more updated. Some of the other royals used to dress older for their age for some reason. I don't think Diana dressed to the nines to hurt her in-laws.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rapid River, United States
Posts: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You know, I think Diana would've really liked The Countess of Wessex. Diana was going through a lot when Sophie first came on the royal scene in the 90's but I would like to think they would've built up a friendship over the years.

I don't think Diana would've tried to steal the spotlight from Sophie in anyway. I don't think she would have done that to Sophie. I also don't think they would be competing against each other either.

I think Diana tried to be the best Princess of Wales she could be. She dressed well because it went with the job and also Diana mentioned in an interview she did with Charles in the 80's that Charles liked Diana to dress well and he actually took a great interest in her wardrobe. I did think Diana stood out a bit more amongst members of the royal family. Sometimes I think that happened because of Diana's youth and her style was a little more updated. Some of the other royals used to dress older for their age for some reason. I don't think Diana dressed to the nines to hurt her in-laws.
Agree with all said here! I think Diana and Sophie care/cared about the same causes, although they are different people. I think Sophie would have been a good friend for Diana. Diana, Sophie, and Cathrine would have made a good trio of friends. I also can imagine Diana doting on Louise.
__________________
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall- Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 742
If Diana didn't dress well she would off gotten bagged out for it. She was also a very tall and pretty woman she was going to stand out no matter what. And as someone else pointed out her fashions were more up to date then most of the other Royal Ladies. The press are the ones who made the huge deal about her clothes and what she wore. Like all women she liked to look nice and she had a position she had to dress well for. I think her and Sophie would have gotten along, Diana and Edward were said to be good friends. I think Diana served as a great what not to do and Edward was very careful with Sophie. She has turned out to be a wonderful addition to the Royal Family and she and Edward seem very happy together.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rapid River, United States
Posts: 3,497
[QUOTE=Meadow;1484145 Diana and Edward were said to be good friends. I think Diana served as a great what not to do and Edward was very careful with Sophie. She has turned out to be a wonderful addition to the Royal Family and she and Edward seem very happy together.[/QUOTE]
Edward said as much in their pre wedding interview- that he was friends with Diana, and that he took his time with Sophie so their marriage did not go south like his brother's.
__________________
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall- Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,557
There was an article from 1993 or 1994 that was written about Sophie's first time at Buckingham Palace, and it stated that Diana came in to see "who was replacing her" (words to that effect). Of course it's an article and there are often not true, nor are they ever "ver batim", but it probably did have some truth to it. It said that Diana met Sophie and took an immediate disliking to her, simply because she felt she was being replaced. Of course there was no way a girlfriend of Edward's would ever replace the girlfriend/wife of Charles, not just because of status but because of the fact that hardly anyone knew who Edward was. Diana also apparently was very rude to Sophie, particularly regarding her "common" upbringing, which apparently caused Sophie to leave the room very upset. I imagine Diana was bitter toward any woman in the family, but more so to Sophie because of the comparisons physically between them.

I think initially Diana would not have liked Sophie, and she perhaps would have dragged Sarah into her "hate Sophie" camp, but overtime she would have probably grown to like her and enjoy her company. She would have perhaps seen that Sophie was not going to steal her limelight and that she was just content to be with the man she fell for. I could see Diana perhaps resenting Sophie slightly that she and Edward got off much lighter in the pressure factor, but she would have hopefully seen how happy they were together and been happy for them.

It's very difficult to say really, but it's a shame we will never find out. It's also why it's lovely to see Catherine and Sophie being friendly, particularly when Louise is involved. It was lovely of William to pick Louise as one of his bridesmaids, even if it was perhaps to ensure a family member was in the group.
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Kit's Avatar
Kit Kit is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 738
Yeah I remember that article and as far as I can recall Princess Anne apparently told Diana she had been a downright bitch towards Sophie. If it is not true it makes at least a good tale.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, princess diana, relationships, sophie, sophie countess of wessex


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Victoria and Daniel's Relationship irishgirl567 Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 400 09-20-2012 09:01 PM
Albert and Charlene's Relationship stellad Prince Albert and Princess Charlene 1214 03-29-2008 11:56 AM
Diana's And Camillas Relationship Josefine Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 18 07-02-2006 08:21 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]