The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 AM
windsorgirl's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 581
Hi, Hissy and welcome!

I personally don't think that Sophie was ever trying to copy Diana, per se. However, Diana set a very good example of the public role of royalty -- her personal charisma mixed with the ability to be genuinely concerned with those she was visiting (sick, downtrodden, etc). I imagine that it would be difficult not to try to emulate some of these characteristics simply because they were splashed all over the media for everyone to see.

And I see nothing wrong with Sophie taking the best bits of all her role models (HM, The Princess Royal, Diana) into consideration when crafting a public persona of her own. I just don't think that she set out to be a carbon copy of anybody, that's all.

As far as what Edward is up to...he and Sophie seemed to have settled nicely into royal duties and parenthood versus trying to maintain outside careers which seemed to garner them nothing but trouble and bad publicity. They know that theirs are supporting roles and I think they add a great deal to the overall reach of the monarchy in Great Britain in that respect.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
S Wessex tried to look,dress, gesture, pose like Diana and continued this for a while.
No evidence for this. You are assuming knowledge of Sophie's intentions. No evidence that she so intended.


Quote:
If S Wessex actually thought that anybody on the planet thought she was replacing Diana she would have to be delusional.
She didn't think that. In fact she seems to have actively resisted that suggestion that she do that. We have her words to that effect.


Quote:
I just can't warm up to anybody who plots to get into a royal marriage.
Then I assume you are not a Diana fan.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Personally I believe it. I heard it years ago from a woman who worked for the Queen, and since than I have heard it from many mouths independently.
I have to agree. Maybe not in all particulars (though maybe - it is too human to be too far off), but there is something about the image of the Queen and Queen Mother sitting around - all the females - it just 'sounds' legit, the way women do. Diana may not have been a snob but that would not have been the point of what she was doing - jealousy prods us in strange ways. It all fits.

Sophie is a very attractive woman - the resemblance to Diana is blond hair and good looks. Were Sophie to dress elegantly, maintain a model-like svelte figure and 'work the crowd' and the press with smiles - she'd be another Diana. That she is not 'another Diana' - as popular, as adored, as fussed over - is significant and when analyzed reveals a lot about why 'celebrity' exists with one person and not another. (It has nothing to do with intrinsic 'charisma' or 'worthiness').

Quote:
Why is Sophie not popular with the British people? Because she married Edward. If she married William she would be the most popular woman in Britain [...]
I agree with your analysis of this couple. You've given me some great insights into why they seem to be so side-lined.


Quote:
IMO The British people are very susceptible to spin and rumours. They believe tabloid stories.
Its an impression I am getting, as well. As you say elsewhere, its all about whether a Royal is getting 'good press' or 'bad press' - and Edward has definitely gotten consistent 'bad press' ever since he decided he did not want to be a soldier. He also actually worked for a living, had a job, developed his own company. Though Charles has certainly also demonstrated entrepeneurial attributes like Edward, somehow Edward gets belittled and ridiculed, as does Charles but Charles is the Prince of Wales so cannot be side-lined.

The reason I started looking more closely at this couple was precisely because of very cutting and denigrating comments made by some British folks about them. I have come to feel that the British are like the 'in-laws' for the Royal Family - and the litany usually is: not good enough, don't work enough, don't sacrifice enough - who do they think they are? - and on it goes.

I love British people. I adore British intellect. I love British humor. I adore British culture. I love British wit - but man-o-man are the British ever hard on each other. Its more than just toughness, its cutting. I have to remind myself that we may speak the same language and may somewhat resemble each other culturally - but there are serious differences in sensibilities. I'm seeing it especially around the issues of Royalty, but also 'celebrity' and how people are 'held' or seen. Its a significant difference. Interesting.


Quote:
[...]from what I know of Edward and Sophie and I have been told this by many people, including a European royal, that Edward and Sophie are the best royals in Britain, great people and certainly would be the most popular if people bothered to know them. Our loss I suppose.
I have picked up on that. Edward and Sophie are good friends to European Royalty - one sees them showing up 'as friends' - not official British reps - in many European Royal situations. Here I find someone saying it! When one watches them there is something very centered about them and you sense that here are good people. It is a loss that they are not respected more in their own country IMO.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
S Wessex tried to look,dress, gesture, pose like Diana and continued this for a while. I am sure it would utterly drive Diana crazy.
How have you come to the conclusion that Sophie copied Diana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
If S Wessex actually thought that anybody on the planet thought she was replacing Diana she would have to be delusional. It is not like she was marrying Prince Charles.
What are you trying to say here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
I used to like Prince Edward but don't really know what he's up to now. I think the basic person on the street would have little clue who she was, especially in US. I just can't warm up to anybody who plots to get into a royal marriage. Copying Diana was her thing to be noticed I believe.
If you look at the current events thread, you can see exactly what they are up to.
I don't see why anybody in the US needs to know about Edward and Sophie, they have tried for a quiet life and they have succeded.

Plots to get into a royal marriage?
Sophie, to me, is the exact opposite of Diana which is why she has become The Queens favourite daughter-in-law.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I have to agree. Maybe not in all particulars (though maybe - it is too human to be too far off), but there is something about the image of the Queen and Queen Mother sitting around - all the females - it just 'sounds' legit, the way women do. Diana may not have been a snob but that would not have been the point of what she was doing - jealousy prods us in strange ways. It all fits.
I also believe the story.
Diana in certain moods could be vicious (remember the Tiggy story? More of the same).

Quote:
Sophie is a very attractive woman - the resemblance to Diana is blond hair and good looks. Were Sophie to dress elegantly, maintain a model-like svelte figure and 'work the crowd' and the press with smiles - she'd be another Diana. That she is not 'another Diana' - as popular, as adored, as fussed over - is significant and when analyzed reveals a lot about why 'celebrity' exists with one person and not another. (It has nothing to do with intrinsic 'charisma' or 'worthiness').
Agreed. Diana had a definite flair for clothes, and what is called 'presence.'
Sophie is attractive but in an ordinary way; I don't think she could ever be the focus of all eyes, like Diana was.

As for Edward and Sophie, they do not now attract much press in the US, but in the past he was perceived as arrogant and temperamental, and she was viewed as a social climber.

In fact, Sophie was criticized for waiting around for years to get a proposal, in much the same way that Kate was dubbed "Waity Caity."
(Now all that is forgotten now that Kate has the ring, and I am seeing more and more news articles about her).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
... I just can't warm up to anybody who plots to get into a royal marriage. Copying Diana was her thing to be noticed I believe.
So, Sophie succeeded in marrying Prince Edward because she "copied Diana"?
In other words, you're suggesting that Edward wanted to marry a Diana clone. That's certainly a different - and imaginative - spin on events!
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
...S Wessex tried to look,dress, gesture, pose like Diana and continued this for a while. I am sure it would utterly drive Diana crazy...
I don't see where you are coming from. In the eleven years Sophie's been a member of the family I have not once seen her trying to imitate Diana. I remember seeing an interview once where she praised Diana and said she didn't see the resemblance between her and Diana. Sophie is her own person just as Diana was.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-28-2010, 12:18 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,936
IMO, there are some photos where Sophie's resemblance to the late Diana is uncanny. The one that comes to mind was one of their wedding photos -- exiting the church, I believe. I had not paid much attention to their engagement/wedding, but when I saw that photo, I think I gasped.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM
NoorMeansLight's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
So, Sophie succeeded in marrying Prince Edward because she "copied Diana"?
In other words, you're suggesting that Edward wanted to marry a Diana clone. That's certainly a different - and imaginative - spin on events!
Well said! Dear God, their resemblance wasn't even striking. Only their colours and the hair length were similar... Why are people imagining things?!
__________________
With passion and poetry...
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Lady Ann's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IN THE CITY, United States
Posts: 857
Sophie and Diana I think at the time this picture was taking then did look alike...http://up.iranblog.com/7/1264915505.jpg
__________________
Lady Ann
Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face…~ George Eliot ~
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
NoorMeansLight's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,966
^ It's a famous photo, but wasn't this the fashion/style of the women of the upper classes back then?! 80-90% of them looked like that in the early 90's.
__________________
With passion and poetry...
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Sophie is attractive but in an ordinary way; I don't think she could ever be the focus of all eyes, like Diana was.
I think she may be seen as ordinary in looks because she doesn't attempt to 'sell' herself in that way. Any film star seen without make-up schlepping to the grocery store does not impress, either - yet hours later they step onto the red carpet and its pizzazz time. Diana understood that transformation - and worked the energy like a good actress - she was deliberate in what she was doing and we can see how she learned to use herself as an instrument over the years. Sophie makes no choice to go down that road it seems.

I look at her face and she looks not only beautiful to me but she feels comfortable. She feels like someone you could have an interesting conversation with. I think Edward lucked-out big-time catching her to be honest.

Look at her hair - and its her wedding day. No fuss there. Interesting lady. I place a Diana picture next to Sophie's - a very different 'energy' but strong ethnic resemblance. Sophie looks just fine to me - and if there were a contest - I'd have to pick Sophie for outright beauty, and Diana for 'presentation'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
In fact, Sophie was criticized for waiting around for years to get a proposal
For some reason I have the memory that they were always engaged but very quietly. I seem to recall that they were finding themselves having to wait to marry because of all the turmoil happening around the Waleses' marriage throughout the 90's.

Once the engagement was announced there would follow a wedding soon after and this sequence was always getting impacted as I recall. Just as it might have happened - the decks seemed clear - there was the unexpected tragedy of Diana's death - so another understandable delay - and so it went.

When they finally did marry it was so low key because of all the upset of the previous years but I always felt that they had waited so long as a couple, that it wasn't Sophie waiting for Edward to ask..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Sophie looks just fine to me - and if there were a contest - I'd have to pick Sophie for outright beauty, and Diana for 'presentation'.
I agree. I have always thought that Sophie was more beautiful than Diana. Her face is more symmetrical for starters, and her eyes sparkle and her smile is natural, not forced.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 353
I haven't seen Sophie in person, but I have seen Diana in person. Photos don't really do her justice. She sparkled.

Sophie an and Diana could look similiar. They had the same colouring. Similiar features, although I agree, that Sophie's are more symetrical. I think Diana just had a little something that shone through.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Hissy's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Covington, United States
Posts: 146
Thanks for the welcome Windsorgirl!

Wow, I cannot even keep all the posts where you quoted my opinions straight. This was quite a dead thread before today...

For such a minor member of the royal family you guys seem to REALLY love her. I do not need to provide proof of my opinion and what my eyes see, but if I had access to those early pictures I would. SWessex even did the Diana mannerisms. Diana herself was horrified and mad at this. Lately and for some years she no longer does this and now is her own quite blah self.

I really do think Prince Edward nursing a crush on Diana from his boyhood was won over this way. I think Diana's starpower would have made quite an impression on young Edward.

I am not a Diana fan. I don't think she started out manipulative but certainly ended that way.

SWessex on the other hand posed the very first day she met Prince Edward hanging all over him. If I'm not mistaken she had her pr firm working on PE's foray into Real Tennis, a sport he was trying to revive. I don't call that subtle, down to earth, sweet, etc.

As for SWessex imagining she was being groomed to replace Diana (as was posted in the first of this thread) I think it is ridiculous. She was not marrying Prince Charles, so why would she be being groomed to fill her shoes. Most people had little clue who Edward was back then especially in North America so it wasn't a high profile relationship. Yet at the start of this thread it is reported that she told the fake sheik that all the men in the royal family were wanting her as a Diana replacement.

Ugh, I will have to read back more to answer more of what was said quoting my post.

Seems I'm the last one who should be called Hissy!!! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
No evidence for this. You are assuming knowledge of Sophie's intentions. No evidence that she so intended.
Tyger SWessex would have to have been blind to not know EARLY ON in her relationship and marriage with PE that she was trying to dress like and copying the mannerisms of Diana. I do not have to assume anything I just have to open my eyes and see it. I do not care for Diana, but I cannot stand someone copying someone else's look. Sarah Ferguson, and all the other royal ladies back then did not feel the need to do that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Hissy's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Covington, United States
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
...Sophie, to me, is the exact opposite of Diana which is why she has become The Queens favourite daughter-in-law.
Where is the proof she is the Queen's favorite daughter in law? Just as you all ask me for "proof" where is yours? Unless the Queen goes on tv and says SWessex is my favorite daughter in law (or a fake sheik catches her saying it, hee hee!) it is just the impression you get (which by the way is vaild for everyone including me) or what "palace insiders" etc. sources say.

Hm, I think I was naive I was told posters on this board would try to club me to death, but I thought "nooooo...."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Lady Ann's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IN THE CITY, United States
Posts: 857

Just because someone does not share your opinion on a subject and the fact being that Lumutqueen might know a little more about the subject then you do...does not mean that they are trying to club you...

My opinion is different then yours too..and from many others on this forum ...if you stick a round a bit you may find you will learn things from the members that have been here longer ...

While I think the two women looked some what alike. I did not mean to empley in any way that Sophie tried to copy Diana ... I believe this is the last thing she would want to do. She is a smart cookie and knew before hand that the Queen and other members of the Royal Family did not like some of Diana's ways. She is a beautiful woman in her own right and has made her own way in a family that Diana lost herself in. She has seccesed where her two sister-in-laws have failed. She has endeared herself to her mother-in-law and the British people. IMO she may not shine like Diana but she has made her own leagacy.
__________________
Lady Ann
Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face…~ George Eliot ~
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Hissy's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Covington, United States
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
So, Sophie succeeded in marrying Prince Edward because she "copied Diana"?
In other words, you're suggesting that Edward wanted to marry a Diana clone. That's certainly a different - and imaginative - spin on events!
Hi Warren

I think initially when I believe SWessex' PR firm, or one she was working for, secured the Real Tennis deal PE was trying to revive she dressed more "sporty" casual then she meets him. She somehow gets a photo with him where she is draped on him like they already have a relationship.

In her, or in the press, or in some friend she has, etc. there is the merest, tiniest mention of resemblance (probably because blonde, etc. though much shorter from what I see). After that it is all well timed press leaks and aiming for the Diana look until a while after the wedding. Re-watch the wedding even to see the Diana mannerisms she employed. Also reports that poor William was taken aback at this molded resemblance to his recently deceased mother.

I don't think Edward was aware of it but I can see how that would catch his interest she looked familiar to him, etc. very common in people they are attracted for better or worse to what is familiar to them. Plus all his other potential girlfriends before this were few and didn't get much attention. Suddenly the lesser known prince is getting press, which doesn't hurt Ardent Productions, or his profile. It must have been trying to be in the shadow of his older, married siblings. He seemed to be quite inexperienced with women as well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Hissy's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Covington, United States
Posts: 146
Hi Lady Ann: you are one of the kinder ones, but yes, I make one post and I have been given baptism by fire demands of "proof" of my opinions and observations?

This thread was dead that is how much people really cared to talk of SWessex. I did not start this thread someone else did reporting on how Diana was furious at SWessex for trying to emulate her.

All I'm reading is a bunch of people who insist she is nice, pretty, hard working, scandal free, and of course the Queen's favorite all without any "proof". I just want people to respond intelligently and actually discuss things not just demand proof. Even if I showed a photo of Diana and Sophie dressed and styled exactly alike standing side by side I think most people would still be denying it. (Oh wait you did post almost that, LOL!)

I really get suspicious when people give blanket praise to anyone. People's adoration of SWessex should not be marred by me pointing out things and actually commenting on the reason this thread was started. I have not called her names or anything so why a mountain of posts "proving" how wonderful she is by merely writing it here???

I don't think she has any "legacy" other than she has royal children.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
Re-watch the wedding even to see the Diana mannerisms she employed.
Could you describe what those mannerisms were, Hissy?

I think you should keep in mind that Diana and Sophie have a very similar ethnic resemblance: they are both English, have similar noses, coloring is similar, both are blond (though Sophie is, I think, a natural blond, Diana was a 'bottle blond'), both blue-eyed, etc.

Sophie was a professional woman, a business woman. She would have dressed well for her professional life - and its likely that it is the professional dressing you are saying she was copying Diana on? That would be all she would be copying Diana on - if she was - because she definitely wasn't dressing in the elegant evening gowns and the very provocative off-the shoulder wear Diana was wearing to openings and galas - correct?


__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, princess diana, relationships, sophie, sophie countess of wessex


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Victoria and Daniel's Relationship irishgirl567 Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 400 09-20-2012 09:01 PM
Albert and Charlene's Relationship stellad Prince Albert and Princess Charlene 1214 03-29-2008 11:56 AM
Diana's And Camillas Relationship Josefine Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 18 07-02-2006 08:21 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games ottoman president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]