Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Here are some articles:

Mori poll :
Ipsos MORI - Monarchy Poll, The News of the World
The Age: Royal Esteem lifts in times of sadness
theage.com.au - Royal esteem lifts in time of sadness
The Mirror: Sparkling Jewel in the Crown
SPARKLING JEWEL IN THE ROYALS' CROWN - Mirror.co.uk
I don't see how these quotes back up your arguments? Where's the Baldy and Blondie- quote? While the polls are not really favorable, they not as bad as you suggested. IMHO, of course.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Here are some articles:
Mori poll :
Ipsos MORI - Monarchy Poll, The News of the World
The Age: Royal Esteem lifts in times of sadness
theage.com.au - Royal esteem lifts in time of sadness
The Mirror: Sparkling Jewel in the Crown
SPARKLING JEWEL IN THE ROYALS' CROWN - Mirror.co.uk
None of these are the polls you quoted and none are of course YouGov, although the Mirror mentions an old poll, but again not one that concerned Sophie. The first and second link do not mention Sophie and the third is basically saying she has not been taken to our hearts but is getting there for James Whittaker. There is also no mention of Blondie or Baldy.

How we got so far off topic I don't know.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I don't see how these quotes back up your arguments? Where's the Baldy and Blondie- quote? While the polls are not really favorable, they not as bad as you suggested. IMHO, of course.
They weren't suppose to, They were answering the original question of how Sophie is seen in Britian.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They weren't suppose to, They were answering the original question of how Sophie is seen in Britian.
Well, rather was seen. Not even has been seen. I doubt that after having had the second child with complications the countess is seen by a lot of people as unsympathetic. Maybe not many Britons are really interested in her - but then I think that not many Britons feel the need to actively dislike her.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Commoner

Everyone knows opinion polls are not worth anything, I do not even know why you bother reading them.

I have never met one person who had anything bad to say about Sophie.

The press articles I read about her are always positive!

She always looks nice and most people in Britain are proud of her as a positive example of the British Royal family.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Nobility

I can't imagine such behavior from Diana in front of Her Majesty The Queen..perhaps Diana shared catty comments to a servant but I can't imagine Diana being so outright rude in front of the Sovereign.

Sophie may come from humble origins but she did remarkably well for herself and had extremely well placed friends. Her former flatmate, Jeanie, is from Texas and the daughter of a very, very successful man and her current stepmother is a former "Miss Texas".
Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post

Sophie may come from humble origins but she did remarkably well for herself and had extremely well placed friends. Her former flatmate, Jeanie, is from Texas and the daughter of a very, very successful man and her current stepmother is a former "Miss Texas".
Sorry but a Miss Texas counts for exactly nothing outside of Texas.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say it counts for nothing. Some think that Sophie as Countess of Wessex counts for nothing outside the world of royalty, just like a Miss Texas counts for nothing outside the world of beauty contests.

Regardless of what interests you follow, the lives and achievements of any person count for something.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes. Anyone who wins a beauty pageant has to be accomplished in other areas as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Regardless of what interests you follow, the lives and achievements of any person count for something.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Do you have a link to this poll, again I can't find any mention of it. Whilst Sophie is not admired, nobody would bother, IMO to hate her! She is not popular because she is so blahhhhh. She doesn't appear to have done anything good to remember her by.I don't feel they get bad press, they just don't get any.
See, it really all does depend on press. You say Sophie is very blah and doesn't appear to have done anything good to be remembered by. I was just thinking the other day that I somewhat feel this way about Camilla, that I don't know a lot about her and apart from having an affair with Charles (which gives me a negative opinion of her) she doesn't seem to have done anything good to be remembered by. (Other than being a supportive wife who makes her husband happy--again quite similar to who Sophie appears to be).

But I think the reason I feel this way is because in Canada, I really never hear anything in the news about Charles and Camilla. To be honest, in the last six months I can remember reading at least one news report on Sophie (that she was going to have a baby) and absolutely nothing on Camilla. On the other hand, the news media around here does seem interested in William and Harry. The CBC showed an interview with them that they gave before the Diana concert, and Harry's tour of duty in Afghanistan really made headlines, probably partly because Canadian troops are in Afghanistan and Afghanistan makes top stories all the time.

So what I'm saying is, I think people in Britain aren't excited by Sophie partly because she's not glamorous and partly because of who she married. I don't see a dramatic difference, for example, between the accomplishments and behaviour of Sophie and Camilla. But Camilla is the wife of the future king so she's going to get more press intention and elicit more public reaction, even apart from the whole love triangle of the 1980s/90s.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

My impression is that Sophie and Edward are liked very much here. Their first trip as a couple was to Prince Edward Island, and they were quite well received. I'd certainly travel for a couple of hours' drive to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
See, it really all does depend on press. You say Sophie is very blah and doesn't appear to have done anything good to be remembered by. I was just thinking the other day that I somewhat feel this way about Camilla, that I don't know a lot about her and apart from having an affair with Charles (which gives me a negative opinion of her) she doesn't seem to have done anything good to be remembered by. (Other than being a supportive wife who makes her husband happy--again quite similar to who Sophie appears to be).

But I think the reason I feel this way is because in Canada, I really never hear anything in the news about Charles and Camilla. To be honest, in the last six months I can remember reading at least one news report on Sophie (that she was going to have a baby) and absolutely nothing on Camilla. On the other hand, the news media around here does seem interested in William and Harry. The CBC showed an interview with them that they gave before the Diana concert, and Harry's tour of duty in Afghanistan really made headlines, probably partly because Canadian troops are in Afghanistan and Afghanistan makes top stories all the time.

So what I'm saying is, I think people in Britain aren't excited by Sophie partly because she's not glamorous and partly because of who she married. I don't see a dramatic difference, for example, between the accomplishments and behaviour of Sophie and Camilla. But Camilla is the wife of the future king so she's going to get more press intention and elicit more public reaction, even apart from the whole love triangle of the 1980s/90s.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMO Diana may have had a private opinion of Sophie but they didn't know each other it would appear and Diana has been dead for 10 years so I am not sure those polls are really up to date.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But I think the reason I feel this way is because in Canada, I really never hear anything in the news about Charles and Camilla. To be honest, in the last six months I can remember reading at least one news report on Sophie (that she was going to have a baby) and absolutely nothing on Camilla. SNIPPED - So what I'm saying is, I think people in Britain aren't excited by Sophie partly because she's not glamorous and partly because of who she married.
You only have to compare the amount of newspaper coverage for the two women in their separate threads to see that Camilla receives more news coverage here than Sophie. I don't think the question of whether Sophie is glamorous or not enters into it, she is certainly not memorable for a lot of people with regard to any charities she may be connected to and of course, the only reason we know of any of the women (although I can't quite work out why the comparison to Camilla found it's way into this thread, apart from the usual potshot), is because of their husbands.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You only have to compare the amount of newspaper coverage for the two women in their separate threads to see that Camilla receives more news coverage here than Sophie. I don't think the question of whether Sophie is glamorous or not enters into it, she is certainly not memorable for a lot of people with regard to any charities she may be connected to and of course, the only reason we know of any of the women (although I can't quite work out why the comparison to Camilla found it's way into this thread, apart from the usual potshot), is because of their husbands.
I didn't mean to make a potshot at Camilla because I have nothing against her. I just found it sort of ironic that you said "Sophie doesn't seem to have done anything good to remember her by". Yet, as you mentioned, there's a lot of interest in Camilla and a lot of posting on the Camilla thread--but I don't see a major difference in the accomplishments of the two women. I don't think either of them have done nothing good or memorable, they've both shown they can be good wives and mothers. But public attention and interest doesn't have much to do with that, or with charity work or good deeds.

Mermaid1962--I think Sophie and Edward are well-liked in Canada too, now that I think about it I remember some coverage of Prince Edward visiting Canada fairly recently and press coverage seemed pretty complimentary of him.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I just found it sort of ironic that you said "Sophie doesn't seem to have done anything good to remember her by". Yet, as you mentioned, there's a lot of interest in Camilla and a lot of posting on the Camilla thread--but I don't see a major difference in the accomplishments of the two women. I don't think either of them have done nothing good or memorable, they've both shown they can be good wives and mothers. But public attention and interest doesn't have much to do with that, or with charity work or good deeds.
I suppose it depends how much interest one takes and in what. Osteoporosis was barely known about, unless you had a relative who suffered from it, now more women (and men) ask their doctor if that is what they are suffering from. The Royal Vet College has seen an increase in support and interest after the Duchess became involved. The same with the Brooke, just to name three. I can't think of any 'off hand' that Sophie supports.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I suppose it depends how much interest one takes and in what. Osteoporosis was barely known about, unless you had a relative who suffered from it, now more women (and men) ask their doctor if that is what they are suffering from. The Royal Vet College has seen an increase in support and interest after the Duchess became involved. The same with the Brooke, just to name three. I can't think of any 'off hand' that Sophie supports.
I think I more meant that public interest in a person doesn't have much to do with how much charity work they're involved in. Princess Anne is very hardworking but press coverage of her is minimal.

I can't think of any specific charities Sophie is involved in either, offhand. But I do seem to remember reading that she is involved in some organization which helps young children with health problems, because of Louise. Yeah, that's very vague. Watch someone come in to correct me and me get embarrassed at my inaccuracy.

I like Sophie though. She may have been seen (by Diana and/or others) as the next Diana, for better of worse, but her marriage has turned out so differently. I think it's impressive that Prince Edward's marriage is the only marriage among all the Queen's children that (so far) has worked out the first time--and, apart from the fake sheikh incident, without major scandal or upheaval on Sophie's part.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Nobility

sophie-diana

I agree Mermaid. Diana had her faults but she wasn't known to be a snob (and didn't she wear Marks and Spencer underthings - I think Liz Tilberis described that once.). She may have been a little jealous that the older ladies were taking an interest in Sophie since I assume by then they had little use for Diana. She may have been slightly relieved at Sophie coming on board...remember this incident would have been just before she gave her Time and Space speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I agree. If Diana were to make those kinds of remarks, it wouldn't have been around the Queen. The questioning about Sophie's class/salary/wages doesn't ring true to me. Diana had her faults, but no-one has ever accused her of snobbery.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I can't think of any specific charities Sophie is involved in either, offhand. But I do seem to remember reading that she is involved in some organization which helps young children with health problems, because of Louise. Yeah, that's very vague. Watch someone come in to correct me and me get embarrassed at my inaccuracy.
Yep some clarity needed. Sophie has a number of charities and patronages. Her two largest and most high profile are ChildLine and Girlguides UK. She was the patron of a number of child health charities before the birth of Louise. Since the birth of Louise she has added five or six charities to her name - two cultural, two about farming and the countryside and the other is related to the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. She was already patron of Vision 2020: The right to sight before the birth of Louise. She has added no new patronages since James birth.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've split out the discussion of Sophie's charities and patronages into its own thread, which can be found here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ges-16319.html
Old 03-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
... Yet, as you mentioned, there's a lot of interest in Camilla and a lot of posting on the Camilla thread--but I don't see a major difference in the accomplishments of the two women. I don't think either of them have done nothing good or memorable, they've both shown they can be good wives and mothers. But public attention and interest doesn't have much to do with that, or with charity work or good deeds...
[snipped and my bolding]
Quote:
I think I more meant that public interest in a person doesn't have much to do with how much charity work they're involved in. Princess Anne is very hardworking but press coverage of her is minimal.
I like Sophie though. She may have been seen (by Diana and/or others) as the next Diana, for better of worse, but her marriage has turned out so differently. I think it's impressive that Prince Edward's marriage is the only marriage among all the Queen's children that (so far) has worked out the first time--and, apart from the fake sheikh incident, without major scandal or upheaval on Sophie's part.[snipped]
Fully concurring with the above, I would like to note the following. Countess of Wessex is a likable private person, and good mother. It may safely be said that Countess of Wessex does her part of the charity work without blare of the trumpets surrounding her every move. It is totally wrong to draw any comparisons between Duchess of Cornwall and Countess of Wessex as they do not compete for the title "The Charity Champion".

Tags
countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, princess diana, relationships, sophie, sophie countess of wessex