The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Serene Highness

Influenced by "Shakespeare in love"?

I recently watched the movie "Shakespeare in love" on TV, and after I looked it up on the internet, I found this on Wikipedia.

Quote:
Inpact on the British Royal Family
It has been reported by The Sunday Telegraph that the film had an impact on the British Royal Family in prompting the revival of the title of Earl of Wessex, which had been extinct since the 11th century. Prince Edward was originally to have been titled Duke of Cambridge following his marriage to Sophie Rhys-Jones in 1999, the year after the film's release. However, after watching Shakespeare in Love, he reportedly became attracted to the title of the character played by Colin Firth, and asked Queen Elizabeth II to be given the title of Earl of Wessex instead.
Was anyone here familiar with this?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Was anyone here familiar with this?

I was.

That's the reason I never liked it (the title).
It seemed too Hollywood.
I was surprised the Queen went along with it, as she tends to avoid the trendy and anything that seems rather show-business.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

That just sounds so very immature of Edward. What was your source of hearing, Mirabel?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The information given to the telegraph came from a royal historian, someone i've never heard of, so it could have just been that he was trying to get his name in the paper.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

This theory has been around for some time.

My sense is that the Queen was probably not prepared to make Edward a duke at the time of his wedding, and intended to create him as an Earl. In 1999 when Edward and Sophie married, the BRF was not at its most popular, following soon after all the scandals during the very public disintegration of the marriages of 3 of the Queens children and the public reaction following the death of Diana. There was also pretty widespread commentary on the need to streamline the RF.

Secondly, I would be surprised if Edward actually turned down a dukedom to be created Earl of Wessex just because he liked the title. It may have been that of the potential titles, it may be possible that Edward chose Wessex because of the connection with the film or because he liked the title. Who knows!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Royal Highness

NO comment , but only what I know I LOVE Shakespeare very very much he’s amazing
Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think he was given an Earldom as opposed to a Dukedom because the Queen hoped that someone he would become the Duke of Edinburgh. The idea that he liked it because of Shakespeare in Love just makes it sound more romantic.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the Earl of Wessex title not because of the film (although it was a great film), but because it's such an ancient title. The last Earl of Wessex was William FitzOsbern, who was given the title by William the Conqueror after he defeated King Harold in 1066. The title had passed to Harold from his father before Harold became successor to Edward the Confessor. So you know how far back this title goes, and it's gratifying that it was resurrected after all these centuries. This link gives more background on the title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Wessex
Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
That just sounds so very immature of Edward. What was your source of hearing, Mirabel?

It was widely reported at the time. It was said that he was offered a dukedom but asked for that title instead.

I remember reading and just thinking how typical of Edward it was.
He was very much into the film world once; besides, I always thought he was immature (at least at that time).

I also remember reading that Sophie became upset every time the press speculated about their engagement, because the speculation made Edward back off. (I thought that rather immature too).

But perhaps I am biased, since I've never cared for Edward.
(Not since the tantrum he threw over press reaction to his medieval tournament show. I don't like when grown men throw tantrums, it was very unprofessional).
Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Does it really matter where the idea for the Wessex title came from? TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex does sound rather nice, and one day it will be the courtesy title of their son when they become TRH The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Does it really matter where the idea for the Wessex title came from? TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex does sound rather nice, and one day it will be the courtesy title of their son when they become TRH The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh.

If they ever do.
Won't that depend on Charles?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
If they ever do.
It does depend on Charles but I really doubt he wouldn't go with his mother's own wishes, considering his own sons will have their own titles (The Prince of Wales/Duke of Cambridge and whatever title Harry gets, likely Sussex). Charles needs to make sure the public like him when he becomes King, and going against his own mother's wishes would not be a good start, given that the Queen is an admired figure. Considering the amount Edward (and Sophie for that matter) do for the award, it would be harsh not to give him the title.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Courtier

I recall when watching the wedding coverage hearing that the plan was to make him DoE (so that Prince Philip could pass on a title), so I guess an earldom would work better than a dukedom in the interim. Plus, as was stated by others, Edward and Sophie do a lot of work for the DoE awards. Even well before the wedding, I think Edward was already doing work on behalf of the DoE awards (pls correct me if I'm wrong!!! :) )
Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Majesty

I am sure that Charles, if possible, will regrant the Edinburgh title to his brother. He was reportedly in on the plan.

Of course, if it is up to William then all bets are off as he may not honour an agreement made by his father and his grandparents. I hope he would but we simply don't know if he would.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
No, it does not REALLY matter where the idea came from. It's just a discussion.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Serene Highness

If I remember the movie correctly, the character is only known as Lord Wessex, never mentioning which particular rank he held. It has been logically assumed that he is supposed to be the Earl of Wessex as the title was historically an English earldom. I can believe the story that Edward was influenced by the movie. The Queen wasn't going to mess with with such an ancient and historic title just to elevate her youngest son to be a Duke, since he was going to get Edinburgh eventually and as a royal prince, he ranks above all nobles and his royal "Duke" cousins anyway. Either way, the Earl and Countess of Wessex does sound nice and it's nice to see an old title revived and making a comeback.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
That just sounds so very immature of Edward.
What's all the 'immature' stuff about? First I heard of it. I do know that Edward suffered bad press because he left the military. Fact is, Edward has been the son of the Queen (like Anne, her daughter) that has consistently gone his own path, regardless of what others thought. That smacks of backbone - not immaturity. Charles is often faulted for not having made decisions based more on what he wanted than on what others wanted of him. There's no winning for losing in this royal game it seems.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
If they ever do.
I think it will have more to do with Scotland political standing at the time the title would be "available".
Old 02-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
What's all the 'immature' stuff about? First I heard of it. I do know that Edward suffered bad press because he left the military. Fact is, Edward has been the son of the Queen (like Anne, her daughter) that has consistently gone his own path, regardless of what others thought. That smacks of backbone - not immaturity. Charles is often faulted for not having made decisions based more on what he wanted than on what others wanted of him. There's no winning for losing in this royal game it seems.
Yeah, I knew all that about Edward. My road was the one of Edward saying to HM, Oh Mummy, Mummy, I want to be Wessex. It probably didn't happen that way, but if it did, immature -- no?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I'm heading off topic here, but... I think it also has to do with Edward being the youngest brother, so he gets the most freedom to "act like he wants", while Charles, the oldest brother, gets almost none at all.