Edward and Sophie: Advice, Issues, Role and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Heir Presumptive
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
If you could give advice to Edward and Sophie, place it here?

I would really to know if they green pliat suit is Edward's official 'visit my wife when she is in Frimley Park having a baby' wear? Did anyone else notice that he wore the same suit when they brought Louise home, when James was born and when they brought James home.:eek:

Edward really needs to change his Duke of Edinburgh and International Awards speech. Really - the staff and I'm speaking from exprience here can now recit the speech, incuding the jokes. "You can now walk a little taller."

I would really to know if they green pliat suit is Edward's official 'visit my wife when she is in Frimley Park having a baby' wear? Did anyone else notice that he wore the same suit when they brought Louise home, when James was born and when they brought James home.

yes, i thought the same ;) and he also used the words "cute and cuddly" refering to louise. and i thought he just avoids to show any real emotions. i think thats what i d advise to him. he could be a little less distanced, but thats probably how he was educated ;) sophie is a lot better in that

"You can now walk a little taller" is not intended as joke, is basicly means that you should proud of your hard work and achievements.

Keep loving and protecting your wife and children. Keep Louise and James the hell away from the paparazzi. Send them to as normal a school as you can, while still keeping them safe, and try to make sure that their friends are nice, normal, middle-class kids from solid, loving and intact families that like you and them for who they are as people, not for the riches and society contacts they can provide. Keep developing your career and your interests, no matter what the gossips say, and let Sophie do the same. If you have to do royal chores, put your talents as a film maker to best use by publicizing the causes that interest you. Ignore nitpicks about the language you use in speeches or the clothes you wear. You are a prince, not Brad Pitt, so who gives a damn? As a royal watcher, I'd love to see some nice, formal pictures of your two children, close-up, but as a human being I recognize that it would be horrible to put such little people on display. Listen to your instincts as a father and husband and you'll never go wrong.

"You can now walk a little taller" is not intended as joke, is basicly means that you should proud of your hard work and achievements.

No that is what I call that perticular speech. The 'walk a little taller" speech. It isn't one of the jokes. This year alone he has said that speech at lease a dozen times. You must remember that kids that complete their other awards come back to do gold and also hear the same speech.

When is enough, enough?

Okay, we are all thinking it. So lets have an all out discussion. Lady Louise is almost five and attending regular school, yet we have never seen her at any family functions - balcony or Sunday services. James is over 14 weeks old and we have only seen him leave hospital.
I'm I the only one who thinks that Edward and Sophie might be paraniod in their attempts to shield their children? I'm beginning to think that they going to cover them in black shrouds like Micheal Jackson next.
I completely understand their need for privacy and in Louise's case, sensitivity regarding her condition, but they also need to understand that the sooner the kids come to terms with who they are the better they will be in coping with the status.

Lady Louise has an eye condition but I heard something about her being able to get corrective surgery when she is older.

While I do agree that it would be nice to see Lady Louise and Baby James--the last photo of Louise was looking through a window (beautiful child), I do think that Edward and Sophie are doing what they feel is best. Perhaps there is more to it than we know?

As parents, they have the right to protect their children. While it's impossible for them to have a normal life, why not let them grow up as long as possible without the ever-present telephoto lens?

As I've said before, I think the fact that these two royal children are not seen often enough only brings added - and perhaps unwanted - attention and speculation. I'm not saying the Wessexes should start parading Louise and James out before the paps, but some nice family photos (perhaps taken by Uncle Andrew) in a private setting of the parents' chosing would not bring any harm or intrusion to the children's lives. Even HM had family portraits and specially staged photographs of her young children. I think Edward & Sophie are only creating this mystery around their children and that, IMO, will be more harmful to them in the long run than releasing photos of their children every year or so.

Bella, I tend to agree with you. They make more of it then I think they need too. I understand protecting your children, but they seem really paranoid and I think it will be a problem for the children as they grow. Whether they want to accept it or not, these children are royal and grandchildren of EQII and no matter how hard they try, that fact will never change. I think Lady Louise is old enough to be around the other children when a special occasion occurs. Both of Princes Margret's children have young children and you see them during special occasions. I think they are causing more mystery by keeping them away, then by allowing a more controlled photo session to be released to the public.

I think you have to appreciate the position they are in as well as wanting the children to realise who they are also. Parents can shield their children from exposure to the media and to possible 'bad' people, as they see fit. I think that the comment about Michael Jackson is rather insensitive. He is one of the most famous people in the world and he has a right to want to protect his children whether or not you would adopt the same methods. The same applies to the royal couple and their children. I think that until you have children that are in the same position you have to be more sensitive to the dangers of celebrity status.

I don't think that there's any need for the kids to be "in the public eye". They are just young children, and it's their parents right to choose how much they are or aren't seen. Maybe a couple of private, casual pictures would be nice, or perhaps being seen at a function, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

There might be more at work here than we know, which is the first problem.
I just know that soon James is going to be christening. If a photo is not realised to the press, there is going to be a number of questions, and if Louise is not in the pic there is going to be more. Edward and Sophie need to lead the press in the way they treat the publicity around their children. They need to set the precedent now while the press are still been sympathetic to them, because when the mood of the press changes they need to be on top of things.
Otherwise saying feed the beast with some nice family pics taken with permission, or the tabloids will find their own.

I personally don't think the press will be to bothered with their children, more so when Prince William and Prince Harry get married and have children of their own. More so with Prince William's children.

I think Prince Edward and Sophie are just trying to give their children as much of a normal upbringing as they possibly could have.

But even regular parents arrange photosessions for their children, even if it is just at Sears. You'd think it would be less traumatic to have the selected photographer come to your place than trooping down to Sears (not that Edward and Sophie would go to Sears!). It's not as if they have to invite the hordes. Heck, they could even have Uncle Andrew or Snowdon take the photographs.

Edward and Sophie gave a major clue as to their approach to children when they refused royal titles for them.

I think they are just fanning interest in the children when they refuse to show them; indeed, you could almost say they are hiding them. They are still the grandchildren of the Queen, a better approach would be to release or allow limited pictures of the children taken under contolled circumstances. Then the interest will be less, especially when the next generation of children starts arriving.

i m also still wondering, if there is more than we were told about james.. but that is probably the kind of thinking of it, if you just don t know anything, like you said before.
but when he was born and they quit the hospital they didn t seem to be willing to hide him too much like they did with louise as she already had a difficult start. but remember the video- they seemed to want to show him at least a little.
and, of course they want to protect them to be able to live quite normal-but, just tell me what you think- in my opinion sophie didn t ever worry too much about appearing in the press herself, edward maybe but he obiously realized that it belongs to his doings. so i just can t think of a reason why they honestly don t show them at least a little!
there were even some baby pics with louise, i think taken by andrew (when the queen wear green, i think/sophie black without jewels). so why not doing so with james? so, yes, i think that is not really the right way. on the other hand they don t have to fear the press, i guess, as they are never really interested in their doings.

Really, how much interest would there be in these children? I can't think that much -- it's not like these are William's or Harry's children. I'm pretty sure there's been much more coverage of the Linleys or even the Taylors!

We've even seen little Margarita Armstrong-Jones in public events, and she and Louise are the same age.

The suggestion that there may be something 'wrong' with these children is horrible, IMO!! :bang:

They and family members probably have 100's of pictures of their children - why should they publish them - they are not public property!:whistling:

The suggestion that there may be something 'wrong' with these children is horrible, IMO!! :bang:

They and family members probably have 100's of pictures of their children - why should they publish them - they are not public property!:whistling:

Plus they don't hide Louise - she could be seen on the window of BP watching her grandmother pass by at the opening of parliament, was it?

I think that it's normal given their announced intentions and practices, and quite commendable of Wessex and his Countess to shield their young offspring from the public gaze, if indeed, that's what they're doing. Undoubtedly, Her Majesty approves (she permits Louise to be styled Lady Louise and not HRH Princess Louise) as do I. It seems like excellent parenting, to me.

If there were, indeed, anything 'wrong' with the baby, there'd be no need to either hide it or flaunt it. Both Lady Louise and Princess Eugenie have had surgery and the public seemed to accept both operations with typical British fortitude, equanimity and without apparent alarm!

We've even seen little Margarita Armstrong-Jones in public events, and she and Louise are the same age.
I think Margarita was born in 2002 the same year Princess Maragret died, Louise in 2003.

Okay, we are all thinking it. So lets have an all out discussion. Lady Louise is almost five and attending regular school, yet we have never seen her at any family functions - balcony or Sunday services. James is over 14 weeks old and we have only seen him leave hospital.
I'm I the only one who thinks that Edward and Sophie might be paraniod in their attempts to shield their children? I'm beginning to think that they going to cover them in black shrouds like Micheal Jackson next.
I completely understand their need for privacy and in Louise's case, sensitivity regarding her condition, but they also need to understand that the sooner the kids come to terms with who they are the better they will be in coping with the status.

That is for the parents to decide,and them only.

I wasn't thinking what you were thinking .At all.It's not our business.

People tend to think too much that anyone with a name to fame,or in this case the Royal equivelent,should have their pictures published every other week/day.Utter nonsens,and to call the parents paranoid?How dare you.Exactly.It is most insulting to call them paranoid.When enough is enough indeed.

Paranoid.

Oh,hello Elspeth,no I'm not insulted personally so get out from under that chair again love.Tea anyone?

Last edited:
I think that when you have royal children who you know will be in the spotlight one day - Ingrid Alexandra, Christian, Elisabeth, Catherina-Amalia, Leonor, etc. it might be much better to raise them to slowly get used to the spotlight, by various photo-sessions, bring them to arrangements which are suited to their age, and so on… Being royal/the monarch is a learning process, in which the media is involved, as well as I imagine the country feels that they "know" their monarch if they have watched them grow up...

But for children like Louise and James, whose parents want them to have a relatively normal life and the option to choose for themselves, and are further down in the line of succession… I don't think it is a necessity for us to see them. In our time when celebrities tend to sell the rights of photographs of their babies to the highest bidder - I find it refreshing when someone wants their children to grow up out of the spotlight when there isn't a need for them to do it.

I see it as a sign of success for Sophie and Edward's strategy that there aren't more pictures of Louise out there.

Blimey, Lucien, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :eek: :hiding:

She dares because this is a forum where people are encouraged to express opinions - hopefully without insulting other members in the process.

Last edited:
I assume Prince Edward and his wife Sophie are extremely sensible and educated people so I support whatever decision they make regarding their children! Goodness knows, just getting them in this world has been an ordeal for the couple.

Children are different at various events...While one child may be able to handle with ease a family event another child may find it totally impossible to be able to withstand an event lasting over 5 minutes....And granted it is imperative that children in the presence of Her Majesty The Queen of England (even though she is a devoted and loving granny) behaving properly is a must even for a small mite.

The eye condition little Louise has must be distressing for her parents. Little Dannielyn Marshall Birkhead has it (all of you Americans know her as the daughter of the late Anna Nicole Smith) and for some uneducated people, they equate the eye condition (often totally genetic) as a "curse" of her late mother's drug use while this girl was in utero.

Perhaps the royal parents don't want people staring and making incorrect assumption at the expense of their daughter....I wouldn't..

Let them retain their privacy..a true luxury these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom