The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Really, how much interest would there be in these children? I can't think that much -- it's not like these are William's or Harry's children. I'm pretty sure there's been much more coverage of the Linleys or even the Taylors!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Courtier

We've even seen little Margarita Armstrong-Jones in public events, and she and Louise are the same age.

His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

The suggestion that there may be something 'wrong' with these children is horrible, IMO!!

They and family members probably have 100's of pictures of their children - why should they publish them - they are not public property!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The suggestion that there may be something 'wrong' with these children is horrible, IMO!!

They and family members probably have 100's of pictures of their children - why should they publish them - they are not public property!
Plus they don't hide Louise - she could be seen on the window of BP watching her grandmother pass by at the opening of parliament, was it?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Courtier

I think that it's normal given their announced intentions and practices, and quite commendable of Wessex and his Countess to shield their young offspring from the public gaze, if indeed, that's what they're doing. Undoubtedly, Her Majesty approves (she permits Louise to be styled Lady Louise and not HRH Princess Louise) as do I. It seems like excellent parenting, to me.

If there were, indeed, anything 'wrong' with the baby, there'd be no need to either hide it or flaunt it. Both Lady Louise and Princess Eugenie have had surgery and the public seemed to accept both operations with typical British fortitude, equanimity and without apparent alarm!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange View Post
We've even seen little Margarita Armstrong-Jones in public events, and she and Louise are the same age.
I think Margarita was born in 2002 the same year Princess Maragret died, Louise in 2003.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Majesty

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Okay, we are all thinking it. So lets have an all out discussion. Lady Louise is almost five and attending regular school, yet we have never seen her at any family functions - balcony or Sunday services. James is over 14 weeks old and we have only seen him leave hospital.
I'm I the only one who thinks that Edward and Sophie might be paraniod in their attempts to shield their children? I'm beginning to think that they going to cover them in black shrouds like Micheal Jackson next.
I completely understand their need for privacy and in Louise's case, sensitivity regarding her condition, but they also need to understand that the sooner the kids come to terms with who they are the better they will be in coping with the status.
That is for the parents to decide,and them only.

I wasn't thinking what you were thinking .At all.It's not our business.

People tend to think too much that anyone with a name to fame,or in this case the Royal equivelent,should have their pictures published every other week/day.Utter nonsens,and to call the parents paranoid?How dare you.Exactly.It is most insulting to call them paranoid.When enough is enough indeed.

Paranoid.

Oh,hello Elspeth,no I'm not insulted personally so get out from under that chair again love.Tea anyone?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that when you have royal children who you know will be in the spotlight one day - Ingrid Alexandra, Christian, Elisabeth, Catherina-Amalia, Leonor, etc. it might be much better to raise them to slowly get used to the spotlight, by various photo-sessions, bring them to arrangements which are suited to their age, and so on… Being royal/the monarch is a learning process, in which the media is involved, as well as I imagine the country feels that they "know" their monarch if they have watched them grow up...

But for children like Louise and James, whose parents want them to have a relatively normal life and the option to choose for themselves, and are further down in the line of succession… I don't think it is a necessity for us to see them. In our time when celebrities tend to sell the rights of photographs of their babies to the highest bidder - I find it refreshing when someone wants their children to grow up out of the spotlight when there isn't a need for them to do it.

I see it as a sign of success for Sophie and Edward's strategy that there aren't more pictures of Louise out there.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Blimey, Lucien, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

She dares because this is a forum where people are encouraged to express opinions - hopefully without insulting other members in the process.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Nobility

I assume Prince Edward and his wife Sophie are extremely sensible and educated people so I support whatever decision they make regarding their children! Goodness knows, just getting them in this world has been an ordeal for the couple.

Children are different at various events...While one child may be able to handle with ease a family event another child may find it totally impossible to be able to withstand an event lasting over 5 minutes....And granted it is imperative that children in the presence of Her Majesty The Queen of England (even though she is a devoted and loving granny) behaving properly is a must even for a small mite.

The eye condition little Louise has must be distressing for her parents. Little Dannielyn Marshall Birkhead has it (all of you Americans know her as the daughter of the late Anna Nicole Smith) and for some uneducated people, they equate the eye condition (often totally genetic) as a "curse" of her late mother's drug use while this girl was in utero.

Perhaps the royal parents don't want people staring and making incorrect assumption at the expense of their daughter....I wouldn't..

Let them retain their privacy..a true luxury these days.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Courtier

A chest full of possiblities

I brought a chest full of royalty magazines - Majesty and Royalty, a whole lot of royalty books and newspaper clippings and special editions at a church sale yesterday. I have been going through it reading the articles, laughing at how odd the royals looked then and saddened by how full of praise and possiblities everything seemed.
Here is a few things I read about Edward which I didn't know before.
Edward was a keen wildlife photographer. He even learnt to develop them himself in a dark room. Together with Lady Sarah he would walk around the estates for hours taken pics. He even mounted and displayed several of the pics for a family dinner exhibition.
Edward played hockey, football, rugby, cricket and was in the choir and dramatic society at school. When asked about Edward widely increasing after school facities, the Duke of Edinburgh noted its because he couldn't make choices.
Edward learnt to fly as a cadet at Gordonstoun. He was only 17 at the time and according to his instructor took to the sky like a bird. The Duke of Edinburgh was very impressed and as a gift gave Edward, George VIII's wings. Less than a few months later Edward was ordered to give up flying, the Queen noted it was too expensive and she was convinced that he would die in an airplane accident.
Prince Edward once impressed his mother and Aunt Margaret by completing a Times Crossword that had puzzled them. The Queen Mother was unimpressed noting that he was not the crown prince and it was his job to act stupid.
Edward always wore his brothers' hand me downs until the age of 25 when he no longer fitted into any of their stuff. Some times Edward would not wait for the other royal to be finished with it. One pics shows Edward wearing Prince Andrew's shirt only a few days after Andrew had worn it.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

Some interesting facts about Prince Edward.

I like the crossword bit, if the queen mother said that, then no wonder Prince Charles has turned out the way he has.

It sounds like his parents took a great deal of interest in their youngest child.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:15 AM
Courtier

I have been told by the reason Louise is not seen and that James will not be seen is Edward.
Edward apparently is very worried about his children been harmed by the press. Sophie and the Queen are concerned about it but are apparently playing it by ear hoping no doubt that he will calm down when the children grow up.
Palace couriers have requested that Louise be taken out on to the balacony and attend church with the royals, but Edward refuses to use his children as PR tools and has point blank refused.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I have been told by the reason Louise is not seen and that James will not be seen is Edward.
Edward apparently is very worried about his children been harmed by the press. Sophie and the Queen are concerned about it but are apparently playing it by ear hoping no doubt that he will calm down when the children grow up.
Palace couriers have requested that Louise be taken out on to the balacony and attend church with the royals, but Edward refuses to use his children as PR tools and has point blank refused.
I don't blame him, given the way the press has savaged him in the past. Also just look at the daily mail lately Princess Beatrice has been labelled as being fat, just because she has big thighs.

I also don't blame him for not wanting his kids to be used as PR tools either, given the way I feel Prince Charles's boys are used as sometimes. Even by their own father IMO.

Nothing wrong with being a protective Father.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
All this is of course speculation, unless you have a link.

Why should they 'produce' their children, they will be in the media soon enough, meanwhile let them be ordinary unrecognized children.

Edward will be well aware that the media do not take much notice of the parents.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that Edward is wise in this area. No doubt he remembers the public appearances he made and the effect that they had on him to be trotted out for public viewing. For a person as private as Edward seems to be, this must have been difficult for him. In theatrical performances, he was on display but on his own terms.

Quote:
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Commoner

Prince Edward and Sophie should realize that their children are royal no matter what. Look at the rest of the family, they seem to have their childern out and about. Not to upset anyone but I don't think that they should be made special. Those children need to learn and understand that they have a Queen for a grandmother and maybe they would like to support the queen and have fun with all of the rest of the childern that come out.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica_potvin View Post
Those children need to learn and understand that they have a Queen for a grandmother...
I'm sure the children will be able to "learn and understand they have a Queen for a grandmother" even without their photographs regularly appearing in magazines.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with you Warren, the children will more than likely know who their grandmother is and was.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Courtier

The Beginning of the end?

Last week the Telegraph wrote an article called the Future of the Monarchy.
Is this the future of the Royal Family? - Telegraph
Although it starts as a finacing issue, it leads in the fact the younger royals are now taking over from their elder uncles and aunts in the popularity stakes.
I am beginning to worry about Edward and Sophie's future in the royal family. And am now beginning to wonder if it involves been in the family at all? Not one news agency wondered if Edward and Sophie were there, asked why they weren't on the steps? They were simply forgotten. They shouldn't be concerned as neither was the absence of Princess Alexander and some others.

Edward and Sophie appear to be taken side lines whenever they can. Sophie appears to have became a royal housewife. Something she must be doing with the Queen's consent. Edward has made it well know that he wishes the younger royals to take on the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
When the emergence of William, Harry and Beatrice on the engagements calender, you must wonder if Edward and Sophie believe that their support and work will no longer be required, after all it was never really applauded anyway.
Do you argree with the article? Are the efforts of Edward and Sophie and the other minor royals whom don't even merit a mention in the article - pointless to the monarchy and Britian. Should their charities apply at Kate Middleton's door now?

Tags
countess of wessex, earl of wessex, family life, prince edward, sophie