The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 64
Education of Lady Louise and Viscount Severn

Has it been announced where Lady Louise will be going to school? Also, anyone have any newer pictures of Louise and James--since Windsor Horse Show or Trooping the Colour?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
Has it been announced where Lady Louise will be going to school? Also, anyone have any newer pictures of Louise and James--since Windsor Horse Show or Trooping the Colour?

As far as I am aware no announcement has been made in line with the Wessex's determination to have their children grow up in relative anonymity which is also why they don't release photos of their children.

I personally will respect the desires of the parents and allow these two children to grow up and be able to eventually have non-royal jobs like their more distant cousins - the Kent and Gloucester children (and of course Peter Philips).
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,148
That's my thinking as well. We'll likely see them on the balconey for Trooping the Colour, but that's about it except for other high-profile occasions--Royal weddings and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I personally will respect the desires of the parents and allow these two children to grow up and be able to eventually have non-royal jobs like their more distant cousins - the Kent and Gloucester children (and of course Peter Philips).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,105
Apparently Lady Louise is at St Georges School, Ascot. Where Eugenie went. She is 6 years old, i thought she was already at school. I assume she'll be there till 13.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 PM
windsorgirl's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 570
I thought it would be interesting to find out more information about St. George's School but found that it is for girls aged 11-18, so I think that Louise might be at school elsewhere. If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

This is one of the pages that indicates the age range:
St George's School, Ascot - Your First Year
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-21-2009, 02:27 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,424
The confusion is being caused because very close to St Georges at Ascot (where Princess Beatrice and Lady Davina Lewis are numbered among the alumnae - along with Winston Churchill from when it was a boys preparatory school - or elementary school for our North American cousins) is St Georges School at Windsor where Princess Eugenie went to Primary school and that is where Louise is attending. This school was originally for the choir boys at St Georges Chapel Windsor but is now a general primary school. St George's School, Windsor St George's School, Windsor Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 64
Thanks for the update on the school choice

It's nice that she's so close to Granny! I imagine the school is a perfect choice. Wonder if she'll be a boarder somewhere later on or if she'll go on as a day student. As an American I just can't fathom sending my kids away before College [University]!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 PM
windsorgirl's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The confusion is being caused because very close to St Georges at Ascot (where Princess Beatrice and Lady Davina Lewis are numbered among the alumnae - along with Winston Churchill from when it was a boys preparatory school - or elementary school for our North American cousins) is St Georges School at Windsor where Princess Eugenie went to Primary school and that is where Louise is attending. This school was originally for the choir boys at St Georges Chapel Windsor but is now a general primary school. St George's School, Windsor St George's School, Windsor Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks, Iluvbertie!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
It's nice that she's so close to Granny! I imagine the school is a perfect choice. Wonder if she'll be a boarder somewhere later on or if she'll go on as a day student. As an American I just can't fathom sending my kids away before College [University]!

Of the Queen's 10 direct descendents who have left school (4 kids and 6 grandkids) only one has been a day student at school and that was Beatrice at St Georges at Ascot. All the others were boarders for high school.

As someone who attended boarding school for high school, even though there were good schools in the town where I lived at the time, I can say that there were far more activities taking place at the boarding school than at a day school. A normal day started with breakfast and then music practice (if you studied an instrument) but the advantage was that at least on of the school's music teachers or a senior student who was so far ahead of us juniors that if we were having trouble we could get help - certainly helped my music), chapel, then our classes. After school was a range of sports activities, training, swimming, tennis etc and then fun in our common room, or other activities all with your friends of course - it might be practicing for the upcoming house competition e.g. drama night, debating, public speaking, choir etc, dinner, supervised homework time where again help was available from senior students or teachers if needed, and then other activities before bed. No worries about travelling to and from school, leaving books at home, forgetting what homework to do (it was listed on the boards in our homerooms), needing to get something from the library to do homework - only needed a note to go to the library, etc. Overall I believe I had a far better education at my boarding school than I would have had at a day school and the friends I made there at still the best ones I have - far better than the new friends I made at university or since entering the workforce - because we shared so much in those growing up years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Patra's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern, United States
Posts: 2,208
I do love it when I get to see photos posted of Lady Louise...she remids me so much of QE II at that age.

It is common in the United States for children to go to day school a few days a week from age 2-3, and then begin "real" day/elementary school from age 4 to 18. If Lady Louise is 6, she would be in our "First Grade" (age four is Pre-Kindergarden, age five is kindergarden)

University studies typically begin at age 18 thru 22.
__________________
Patra
God is in the Details.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 64
Given that Edward may be made Duke of Edinburgh after his father dies and that he has taken on a lot of the Duke's roles I wonder if Louise and James will attend Gordonstoun? From the 60s/70s royal group at the school it seems few if any have sent their children there. Charles and Norton Knatchbull [now Lord Brabourne] sent their sons to Eton (and Brabourne's daughter to a traditional school too I believe), Andrew's daughters went elsewhere, India Hicks son is at Stowe and I believe Helen Windsor Taylor went there for a while and her son is at Wellington which is in the same group of schools. Princess Anne, who seems "made" for the school, but wasn't able to attend since it was still all boys in her day, sent her kids there though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 AM
IloveCP's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Palm Springs, United States
Posts: 4,895
I wonder if Louise gets bullied because of her eye problem.I hope not.Louise seems like she is very confidant at public events.Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.
I disagree, I don't think they're brave for letting their child lead a normal life as possible. Considering the school she's attending, I don't think bullying of any sort would be tolerated.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I wonder if Louise gets bullied because of her eye problem.I hope not.Louise seems like she is very confidant at public events.Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.
I've lived with a visual impairment all my life, and I survived school just fine. The key is, as has been stated, to let the child be as normal as possible. Expectations need to be same for her, as they are for her classmates and typically developing peers. I'm sure her parents and teachers do all they can to make sure that Louise is getting the education she needs. I've studied a great deal about children who are visually impaired (I'm a certified teacher in the field), and on a big scheme of things, Louise's condition is not at all severe. Simple adaptation of preferential seating would make her life a lot easier, and I'm sure her teachers are well aware.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Rebafan81's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Akron, United States
Posts: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I've lived with a visual impairment all my life, and I survived school just fine. The key is, as has been stated, to let the child be as normal as possible. Expectations need to be same for her, as they are for her classmates and typically developing peers. I'm sure her parents and teachers do all they can to make sure that Louise is getting the education she needs. I've studied a great deal about children who are visually impaired (I'm a certified teacher in the field), and on a big scheme of things, Louise's condition is not at all severe. Simple adaptation of preferential seating would make her life a lot easier, and I'm sure her teachers are well aware.
I so agree about letting her go to school but unfortunately kids can be so cruel. My grandson was born with a severe heart defect, so there is no muscle in his left eye lid, he can hardly open it. He has had two surgeries for it so far, but he started K-Garten and only one child has made fun of him. The teachers do a fantastic job of keeping them apart and making the other kids understand Donovans health issues. I am glad he is in regular school because it actually makes him feel normal, instead of different.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopewell View Post
Given that Edward may be made Duke of Edinburgh after his father dies and that he has taken on a lot of the Duke's roles I wonder if Louise and James will attend Gordonstoun? From the 60s/70s royal group at the school it seems few if any have sent their children there. Charles and Norton Knatchbull [now Lord Brabourne] sent their sons to Eton (and Brabourne's daughter to a traditional school too I believe), Andrew's daughters went elsewhere, India Hicks son is at Stowe and I believe Helen Windsor Taylor went there for a while and her son is at Wellington which is in the same group of schools. Princess Anne, who seems "made" for the school, but wasn't able to attend since it was still all boys in her day, sent her kids there though.

Lady Helen Taylor attended St Mary's Wantage, a Girls' Public School [i.e. private school!!] which was popular with 'smart set Society parents'. It was quite a strict school, run by Anglican Nuns. She then went on to Gordonstoun for her A levels. From memory, she they had to do 're-takes' at a crammer, although I might be mistaken in this respect. St Mary's has now merged with Heathfield, in Ascot [near Windsor Castle].

Marlborough seems to be quite a popular 'royal' school at the moment, because Princess Eugenie went there and so did the Middleton children.

There are of course any number of good private girls' day schools near the Wessex family home, and it could be that Edward and Sophie might take that option.

I doubt if Lady Louise would be bullied; apart from the fact that schools -and particularly Public schools - are nowadays very aware of the problem and thus able to take such action as is necessary, I would think that her 'royal' position would make her a very popular young lady.

Just my thoughts,

Alex
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,424
As she is currently at St Georges and Beatrice then went to the High School St Georges at Ascot that would seem a good choice as she also wouldn't need to board.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 1,648
Question for our UK posters. At what age do children leave primary or elementary school and move on to middle/high school?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Question for our UK posters. At what age do children leave primary or elementary school and move on to middle/high school?
They leave at 10/11.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 1,648
Thank you!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christening of Viscount Severn at Windsor, 19 April 2008 RoyalProtocol The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family 137 03-07-2012 05:10 AM
Godparents for Viscount Severn principessa The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family 63 04-20-2008 11:00 AM
Sophie gave birth to a son: James Alexander Philip Theo, Viscount Severn: 17.12.07 BeatrixFan The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family 237 01-27-2008 06:11 AM
Lady Louise 3: October 2005 - March 2007 Elspeth Current Events Archive 195 06-07-2007 08:24 AM
Lady Louise 1: November 2003 - May 2004 montecarlo Current Events Archive 155 05-29-2004 01:38 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events diana dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]