Earl and Countess of Wessex: Visit to Gibraltar - June 11-13, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do love that dress. Thanks for the links, Mag.

Love this image of Sophie, shows her true nature and her love of children:

Image 1

I do love that dress. Thanks for the links, Mag.

Love this image of Sophie, shows her true nature and her love of children:

Image 1

The Countess of Wessex visited St Martin's School in Gibraltar today.

Sophie and children + Sophie and children 2
These photos of Sophie are so beautiful- I almost don't have words!
They bring tears to the eyes- Sophie is so magical with children, and knows how to spread some serious sunshine!:D

Wonderful to see the Gibraltarians enjoying their royal visit so much; they've really gone all out for the occasion.

Wow, that is just brilliant!
Absolutely amazing tribute to Her Majesty; well done, Gibraltar! :flowers:

Thank you for all the pictures, articles and videos :flowers:. I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing pictures of Sophie with kids. She's great with them, and you can tell that they sense it and revel in the genuine attention.

From the Daily Mail article

Sophie Rhys-Jones floated through the streets of Gibraltar in wide-legged white trousers today as she and husband Prince Edward continued their tour.

Why oh why do they persist in using the 'Rhys-Jones'? This was formerly her name. Not now. Same with 'Kate Middleton'. No! She's the Duchess of Cambridge. Quite annoying.

Names are easier to understand than titles. Unless you get a made up title which you more remembered by ;)

Why oh why do they persist in using the 'Rhys-Jones'? This was formerly her name. Not now. Same with 'Kate Middleton'. No! She's the Duchess of Cambridge. Quite annoying.

They do the same with Camilla. It is quite annoying, but will happen for as long as they are married. Sarah was ALWAYS Sarah Ferguson. I liked her maiden name, it sounded nice.

They got a lot of coverage this trip, has been good.

If Britain did what the Europeans do and allow wives who married in to use Princess own name they wouldn't do this but they like to use a person's name not just a title and so the maiden names continue to be used by the press.

The Royal Visit Has Been Inspiring For Every Single Gibraltarian
“Edward, Edward, Sophie, Sophie,” chanted the residents of Laguna Estate as Their Royal Highnesses the Earl and Countess of Wessex arrived for their final stop, and what undoubtedly had been a most successful Royal visit. Governor Sir Adrian Johns and Lady Johns were again at their side on the last day. Once more the friendliness of the Royal couple and their willingness to meet everyone who had come to welcome them was very evident. Everyone was enthralled and captivated by their friendliness, interest and kind words. Chief Minister Fabian Picardo, who himself was greeted by loud cheers and chanting, was also smiling as he joined the Royal couple on what was their final visit on the Rock before departure. Mr Picardo described the visit as having gone “tremendously well”.

Visit 'huge success', says Government
Her Majesty's Government of Gibraltar considers that the visit of Their Royal Highnesses, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, has been a huge success.
A statement adds that the visit has been marked by the accessibility of the Royal couple to the Gibraltarian people, with Their Royal Highnesses clearly going out of their way to communicate with the enormous crowds that gathered at their every appearance.

Thanks Mag for all the extra images. Edward and Sophie looked like they had a good time in Gibraltar, and the trip has made me want to visit the country.

What exactly is a Governor? Obviously it would never happen, but what do they do?
:previous:
Yup, I want to visit also :flowers:

General Governor is the federal viceregal representative of the monarch, Queen Elizabeth II :flowers:

some links with more information:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_role_of_the_governor_general
http://www.ourconstitution.org/governor_gen_role.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_General_of_Canada

Last edited:
:previous:
Yup, I want to visit also :flowers:

General Governor is the federal viceregal representative of the monarch, Queen Elizabeth II :flowers:

some links with more information:
What is the role of the governor general
Role of the Governor-General
Governor General of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you very much, you are really good at finding information, Mag. :)

I just ADORE the images of Sophie greeting the children, she is such a natural. I loved them so much I had to make a tumblr post from them!

Thanks Mag for all the extra images. Edward and Sophie looked like they had a good time in Gibraltar, and the trip has made me want to visit the country.

What exactly is a Governor? Obviously it would never happen, but what do they do?

The Governor is the monarch's official representative in the country or, in the case of Australia and I assume Canada, in each of the states and provinces. Because Australia and Canada are federations we also have a Governor-General who represents at the federal level. Other countries may also call the representative a GG rather than just a Governor but in the case of Gibraltar as it is also still a colony of Britain - that is some decisions are still made in London - it has a Governor.

Their role is simply to carry out the duties of the monarch in their assigned territory - so anything Elizabeth does in Britain the Governor does in Gibraltar especially the signing of legislation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom