Earl and Countess of Wessex: Visit to Canada and the US - June 3-11, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Since some days Edward and Sophie are in Canada, they have
a lot of engagements, but we do not get much pics of these..

Here are at least some pics from yesterday:

Prince Edward is greeted by Veronica Goddard of the Haida Gwai
First Nation as he arrives at Vancouver Technical Secondary School
in Vancouver B C , June 4, 2009:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I saw footage on Global news I had forgotten all about the trip so when I heard he was here I screamed haha totally scared my parents. How many days are they here for?

This trip has gone completely under my radar.:ermm: So thank you very much for the pictures, iceflower!:flowers:

Since some days Edward and Sophie are in Canada, they have
a lot of engagements, but we do not get much pics of these..

Here are at least some pics from yesterday:

Prince Edward is greeted by Veronica Goddard of the Haida Gwai
First Nation as he arrives at Vancouver Technical Secondary School
in Vancouver B C , June 4, 2009:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

HELLO! CANADA will likely have some great pictures in a week or two. I'll be on the outlook for that. Hopefully MAJESTY will have some as well.:flowers:

Are you still planning to try to see them, ghost_night554?

I saw footage on Global news I had forgotten all about the trip so when I heard he was here I screamed haha totally scared my parents.

Pics 5.6.2009

Britain's Prince Edward salutes while walking with Mayor Gregor
Robertson during a ceremony in Vancouver, British Columbia June
5, 2009. Prince Edward was taking part in celebrations marking
the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Navy.

The second pic looks really great with the bridge, the band..

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

He must have some sort of honourary position with the Canadian Navy. Never heard of it.

Britain's Prince Edward salutes while walking with Mayor Gregor
Robertson during a ceremony in Vancouver, British Columbia June
5, 2009. Prince Edward was taking part in celebrations marking
the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Navy.

The second pic looks really great with the bridge, the band..

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

He's wearing a (UK) Royal Fleet Auxilliary uniform (he's their Honorary Commodore), not a Canadian Forces Maritime Command uniform. In the 4th picture, you can see a diamond-shaped executive curl on the sleeve insignia. Canada doesn't have the executive curl. The shoulder insignia in Canada is also on plain black, not gold.

Thank you for the information, wbenson. As proud a Canadian as I am, I confess to not knowing our uniforms very well.:flowers:

He's wearing a (UK) Royal Fleet Auxilliary uniform (he's their Honorary Commodore), not a Canadian Forces Maritime Command uniform. In the 4th picture, you can see a diamond-shaped executive curl on the sleeve insignia. Canada doesn't have the executive curl. The shoulder insignia in Canada is also on plain black, not gold.

Edward & Sophie seem to be doing a good job on their trip to Canada. Its a pity though, that the UK press does not seem to be taking much notice!

Here are two more pics from yesterday:

Prince Edward the Earl of Wessex arrives at a military service in
Calgary Sunday June 7 2009 The Prince attended the service to
hand out awards and review local cadets.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

It is nice that Prince Edward and Countess of Wessex undertook an engagement in Canada. It seems to me that the above couple has been assigned to deal with Canada. Sadly the UK press is more interested in publishing negative things about Prince Edward. He does not look impressive in a military uniform though.

They are getting some coverage in Canada. On CBC news last night, there was a video clip of Edward presenting the Duke of Edinburgh award to a young woman. She seemed pretty excited to meet him. :)

We really like the Wessexes over here. Sometimes I wish that we still had members of the Royal Family as Governors General, because Edward and Sophie would do very well at it. But I know that it "ain't gonna happen.":D

It is nice that Prince Edward and Countess of Wessex undertook an engagement in Canada. It seems to me that the above couple has been assigned to deal with Canada. Sadly the UK press is more interested in publishing negative things about Prince Edward. He does not look impressive in a military uniform though.

Actually ... having Prince Edward as the General Governor in Canada is not a bad idea. I am sure he can do the job. I wish Prince Andrew were the ambassador of the UK in Kazakhstan ...

I think that it would be seen by a great number people as a "throw-back to our colonial past." That's neither my view nor that of many monarchists. In effect, having a member of the RF as Governor General would open the whole monarchial can-of-worms. I can't imagine a Prime Minister even suggesting it because of political reasons. Canadians seem to be content with what we have now, the Queen as the Head of State and a Canadian Governor General. Actually, the current Governor General and the previous female one were both immigrants and media personalities. That makes a change from Canadian politicians, I suppose.;)

Actually ... having Prince Edward as the General Governor in Canada is not a bad idea. I am sure he can do the job. Can they send Prince Andrew to be the UK ambsaddor in Kazakhstan?

It is certainly not unheard of. They discussed putting his name forward as governor general in New Zealand about six years. So you might have to fight them for him.

Hi,

Prince Edward presented a golden labrador dog today to the RCMP here from The Queen - one of her personal breeding stock - a great honour....

I wouldn't mind Edward & Sophie as Governor General & First Lady of Canada; but in the 70's, it was Prince Andrew who was considered to be Canada's prince.
Both he and The Queen Mother were once touted to be GG's at one time or another, but that never happened. Pity......

Larry

It's certainly safe to say that Edward and Andrew are the princes we see the most. Perhaps Andrew and Sarah could have made a go of it if they were in Rideau Hall during the late 80s and early 90s. The press wouldn't have been so devastating to Sarah here, for one thing. But that's a whole other thread.

I'd love to see Edward as the next Governor General, personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics 8.6.2009

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, pets a golden Labrador named
Suzanna a gift to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police from
Queen Elizabeth II during a ceremony in Calgary, June 8 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I wonder whether she's already had some training in police work, or will she be more like a mascot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom