Earl and Countess of Wessex: Visit to Canada - September 12-20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have never read anything about how the First Nations feel about the Monarchy and (bad on me) I have never thought about it.

So Sophie speaking on reconciliation is a revelation to me. Keep it coming - the more we learn, the more we ARE, the more we CAN BE. :flowers:

I believe the First Nations of Canada have traditionally seen the monarch as a defender of their rights against the narrow interests of the white European settlers. I suppose that is also true for the Maoris in New Zealand.

To be fair though, what the native peoples historically saw as the "Queen" or the "Crown" in that context should be more properly interpreted as the imperial British government in London, which was generally more sympathetic to aboriginal rights than the local dominion governments. Once the dominions became independent and the monarch ceased to follow imperial advice on dominion affairs, transferring instead all royal prerogatives to the Governor General acting on the advice of the dominion government, the distinction became moot.

Last edited:
Well I never got the chance to go see the Earl of Wessex, I do have a friend who drives bus for Ecole Centennial School. She said the kids were dressed up and really excited before school. After school all she heard about was how many bodyguards there were, some said 2, some said 6 , some said 12, and they had guns.

Video of Sophie's speech during her first Duke of Edinburgh Award Ceremony. She sounded so good and so confident. You can tell she has been public speaking for many years now.

Her little giggle at the end when she is saying it's her first one was so cute.

HRH The Countess of Wessex

Last edited:
Video of Sophie's other speech during her visit to Canada. This was when she was at Nipissing University.

Royal Visit

They introduce Sophie with a lovely little speech about her. =] I love that she whipped out her iPad for the speech. I imagine the screensaver to be Lady Louise and James....and I bet they FaceTime when they are travelling away from them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom