Earl and Countess of Wessex: Visit to Canada - September 12-20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thirteen-year-old Victoria Gardner made the second British royal sighting of her young life on Sunday when she handed a bouquet of flowers to Sophie, Countess of Wessex.

The flowers were picked from her mother Tamara’s garden in Maple Ridge and taken all the way to Vancouver to be presented to the countess before her visit to the Blusson Spinal Cord Centre at Vancouver General Hospital.

Victoria’s first royal sighting was Queen Elizabeth II, during the monarch’s Golden Jubilee tour of Canada. Her three older siblings presented the queen with flowers, but Victoria was just a baby.
Royal visitor Sophie, Countess of Wessex, draws admiration on visit to VGH spinal-cord centre

Photos: Countess of Wessex tours Vancouver's Blusson Spinal Cord Centre

Last edited:

So happy the amazingly incredible work being done at the centre w/exo bionics and the exoskeleton frame is getting this attention. It's been shown that if used as early as possible after the spinal cord injury takes place, some mobility and sensation can come back to the Patient. It really is such an exciting field and it's only in the baby years of the research into what and how it can help w/Spinal Cord Injuries, but it is indeed very promising. :)

I also can't recommend everyone looking up Rick Hansen and learning his story highly enough. Rick is a true Canadian hero and also Champion of the Disabled. If it wasn't for his Foundation and the funding it helps w/, several research labs and programs would be no more due to Federal Govt cutbacks.

BTW...If you've ever heard the title song to the movie St. Elmo's Fire and wondered about it, the song is actually about Rick and not the movie. To many Cdns, myself among them, that song brings back several memories of a very special time.

To quote Forrest Gump..."And that's all I'm gonna say about that."

:D :D :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Agree love both outfits and she is looking fabulous as well thanks for all updates

Prince Edward the Earl of Wessex, and his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex, got in touch with nature as they explored the TCT Coho River Trail in North Vancouver, British Columbia, on Sunday.

The royal couple, who are on a five-day visit to Canada, looked more casual than usual as they explored the nature trail.

Sophie, 49, looked chic in a navy suit with her hair pulled back into a low bun. Edward, 50, looked casual in cream chinos and a blue Ralph Lauren shirt.
Prince Edward and wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex get in touch with nature in Canada | Mail Online

So happy the amazingly incredible work being done at the centre w/exo bionics and the exoskeleton frame is getting this attention. It's been shown that if used as early as possible after the spinal cord injury takes place, some mobility and sensation can come back to the Patient. It really is such an exciting field and it's only in the baby years of the research into what and how it can help w/Spinal Cord Injuries, but it is indeed very promising. :)

I also can't recommend everyone looking up Rick Hansen and learning his story highly enough. Rick is a true Canadian hero and also Champion of the Disabled. If it wasn't for his Foundation and the funding it helps w/, several research labs and programs would be no more due to Federal Govt cutbacks.

BTW...If you've ever heard the title song to the movie St. Elmo's Fire and wondered about it, the song is actually about Rick and not the movie. To many Cdns, myself among them, that song brings back several memories of a very special time.

To quote Forrest Gump..."And that's all I'm gonna say about that."

:D :D :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Here's my post with Rick's story.
HRH Countess of Wessex: Earl & Countess of Wessex visit Canada for the DofE Award scheme - Day 3

First- I love the photo of Sophie hugging little Abigail! Abigail looks like she's gotten something better than a million dollars! I am a bit confused though- the article said thier tour ends on Tuesday- I thought it was to the 20- where are they going?
Second- love the photos Anna- @Tiggers- you are right- that man is a hero!

I am a bit confused though- the article said thier tour ends on Tuesday- I thought it was to the 20- where are they going?
the last day of tour is on the 19th. Perhaps they will leave on the 20th. But their final engagements are on 19.

Where are these engagements? The article said their tour ends tomorrow or the next day- that's not right.

Last edited:
Women leaders will conduct a three-day tour of northern Ontario that includes the fly-in First Nations community of Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (KI).

Ruth Ann Onley, wife of Ontario Lt.-Gov. David Onley, will be joined by Sophie, the Countess of Wessex and wife of Prince Edward, Premier Kathleen Wynne and Lt.-Gov.-designate Elizabeth Dowdeswell.
Sun News : Women leaders to tour northern Ontario

His Royal Highness Prince Edward Earl of Wessex told a ballroom full of young people on Saturday they earned the right to walk a little taller after successfully completing a journey that millions attempt but relatively few complete. He shook hands with 87 young high achievers as he handed out the Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Award during a ceremony at Government House.
Prince Edward shakes hands with 87 Duke of Edinburgh award winners at B.C. ceremony | Turtle Island News Daily Newswire

Nipissing University says it will offer a live webcast of the speech that will be given by Her Royal Highness The Princess Edward, Countess of Wessex, on Friday.
BayToday will also be covering the event.
Her Royal Highness The Countess of Wessex will speak to students, faculty, staff and invited guests on the topic of Aboriginal Education at 2:30 p.m.
To view the webcast, visit Nipissing University Flash Streamer
Royal speech to be webcast

When she goes there this week, the Countess of Wessex will be the first member of the royal family in over 80 years to visit the northern Canadian reserve of Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation.

“We are just trying to grasp it now. The last time anyone came here from the Crown was in 1929 when we signed our treaty, said Chief Donny Morris of KI. “To have someone from the Royal Family, representing that, reliving that, I think that’s what we’re excited about — somebody actually coming here 85 years after we signed the treaty with the Crown.”
Countess of Wessex to be the first Royal to visit Aboriginal community since 1929

Last edited:
MOOSE JAW, Sask. - Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex, has launched a three-day visit to Saskatchewan.
He landed at 15 Wing Moose Jaw on Wednesday afternoon and was greeted by Lt.-Gov. Vaughn Solomon Schofield.
Following a short welcoming ceremony, the prince inspected the parade consisting of members of the Saskatchewan Dragoons and the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Moose Jaw Mayor Deb Higgins said the prince is "always very personable and willing to meet the public."
Prince Edward begins three-day visit to Saskatchewan by visiting Moose Jaw - Brandon Sun

So at the Moment there ar 2 different Royals in Canada.... the Wessexes and the CPs of Denmark.
I know, Canada is a big Country, but isn´t that a bit weird?
Bye Bine

So at the Moment there ar 2 different Royals in Canada.... the Wessexes and the CPs of Denmark.
I know, Canada is a big Country, but isn´t that a bit weird?
Bye Bine

I wonder which Royals they prefer.....technically the Wessex's are the Canadian Royal family but the Danish royals are crown princely. Their visits are for very different things though.

I wonder which Royals they prefer.....technically the Wessex's are the Canadian Royal family but the Danish royals are crown princely. Their visits are for very different things though.

Prefer? Who? Weird? It's not like they are fighting for the attention of the same crowd in the same venues...

The Danish CP couple are heading a Business promotion tour arranged by The Confederation of Danish Industries and the Foreign Office of Denmark, with 80 companies accompanying them. I don't know what the Wessex's are there for, but I think there's plenty of room for both couples to do their thing in Canada.

I haven't seen much press coverage of the Wessexes visit; have I missed it, or hasn't there been much?

The Earl and Countess aren't on an official tour of Canada so not as much press as normal.

The counts of Wessex and Frederik and Mary will be that if you're going to find in Canada?

The coverage is decent in Canada, I have been posting links in my posts. They have given detailed info on itinarery, some events are not media allowed like today. But tomorrow there will be live feed of Sophie's speech. Plus organizations that Sophie visited gave also great coverage. I have updated my posts, and gave links to more galleries.
The only thing that wasn't covered are the evening dinners. But those are behind closed doors with no media.
Yes, I know media coverage is not like for Kate, but there never was such coverage for them, and never will be. Plus their visit is working one, not official.
HRH Countess of Wessex

Another video of them leaving Alert Bay, someone played for them God save The Queen. They waited till the end, waved to the people and departed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9RWZwT2gpQ
Also, worth noting, more and more people notice how hard they work, and how genune they are with people. and that they are great for BRF.

Last edited:
Prince Edward was in Saskatoon this morning to unveil a War of 1812 monument at River Landing. (David Shield/CBC)
The Earl of Wessex spoke to the large crowd gathered at River Landing for the unveiling.
"It's just a great privilege to be here and represent Her Majesty The Queen and the Crown, and that lineage of my ancestors who have been such a part of Canada and the people of the First Nations," he said.
Prince Edward unveils War of 1812 monument in Saskatoon - Saskatoon - CBC News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom