The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I am not sure what route they're following.

I'm so pleased how much coverage Sophie is getting but I am disappointed that the day she arrives back at Buckingham Palace there will likely be no royal photographers apart from the WPA photographers; the rest will all be in Canada with the Cambridge's, as well all the royal reporters (Rebecca English etc.) Such a shame really as it's that moment that everyone wants to see - Sophie coming through the gates to her waiting family and friends and being proud of her.
It looked like the team followed the bike route the first days, but not today. I think it's been brilliant that they have been staying in barracks, as it's a safe, inexpensive solution to overnight security issues. If they have a chase car, I've not spotted it. Of course, with cell phones, help is faster than it used to be. It's amazing how people are pulling for her and the team. Fun to watch.

And there will be press at BP, rest assured. People beyond royal watchers seem to have taken to the quest. And I'm sure the hubby and kids will be all the welcome the Duchess really cares about!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
And I'm sure the hubby and kids will be all the welcome the Duchess really cares about!
Not quite yet a Duchess...

She's doing so well with the cycling and everyone looks very happy. I'm sure there'll be photographers at BP.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Nobility

The Countess of Wessex's DofE Challenge blog –days 2 and 3:
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessex...#bio-section-1
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessex...#bio-section-2

Sophie's Just Giving page is at £118,326 so far:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...tess-of-Wessex
Old 09-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

"The Countess is supported on her #DofEChallenge by a team made up of representatives from her Regiments including: Corps of Army Music RAF Wittering 5 Rifles Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps Sandhurst, Royal Military Academy"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKnunEvD5T-/
Old 09-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Nobility

Court Circular 14th September:
The Earl of Wessex was received by The President of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay this morning in Montevideo, Uruguay.

His Royal Highness, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, later visited the British Schools, Montevideo.

The Earl of Wessex this afternoon departed from Montevideo Carrasco International Airport for Chile and was received later upon arrival at Comodoro Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport, Santiago, by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Republic of Chile (Her Excellency Ms. Fiona Clouder).

His Royal Highness Honorary Member, British and Commonwealth Fire Company Foundation "Fundacion 14", subsequently visited the 14th Fire Company, Santiago.

The Earl of Wessex this evening attended a Dinner given by Her Majesty's Ambassador at the Residence in Santiago.

Court Circular 15th September:
The Earl of Wessex, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, this morning visited the Grange School, Santiago, Chile.

His Royal Highness later visited the British Arch of Valparaíso in Valparaíso and was received by the Honorary Consul (Mr. Iain Hardy).

The Earl of Wessex this afternoon visited the 11th Fire Company "George Garland" of Valparaíso.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited the Naval Headquarters in Valparaíso.

The Earl of Wessex was later received by The President of the Republic of Chile in Santiago.

His Royal Highness, Patron, Chilean British University, subsquently visited the Chilean British University, Santiago.

The Earl of Wessex this evening attended a Reception and Dinner given by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Republic of Chile (Her Excellency Ms. Fiona Clouder) at the Residence in Santiago.
http://news.yahoo.com/lightbox/reute...200710676.html
https://www.gov.uk/government/world-...dward-to-chile

Court Circular 16th September:
The Earl of Wessex this morning arrived at São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport, Brazil, from Chile and was received by Her Majesty's Consul-General for São Paulo (Ms. Joanna Crellin).

His Royal Highness, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, this afternoon attended a Reception for young people who have achieved the Gold Standard in the Award at São Paulo Airport Marriott Hotel.

The Earl of Wessex later departed from São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport for the United Kingdom.

Court Circular 17th September:
The Earl of Wessex this morning arrived at Heathrow Airport, London from Brazil. Mr. Timothy Roberts was in attendance.

Court Circular 19th September:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, this morning attended an event at the Palace of Holyroodhouse to mark the commencement of The Countess of Wessex's Diamond Challenge.

His Royal Highness, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award Foundation, this afternoon held a Meeting.

The Countess of Wessex today departed from the Palace of Holyroodhouse for Northumberland on day one of Her Royal Highness's Diamond Challenge bicycle ride from the Palace of Holyroodhouse to Buckingham Palace on the occasion of the Sixtieth Anniversary of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

Court Circular 20th September:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, today attended Receptions at St. James's Palace for young people who have achieved the Gold Standard in the Award.

His Royal Highness, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, this afternoon chaired a Development Group Meeting at Buckingham Palace.

The Countess of Wessex today cycled from Northumberland to Catterick, North Yorkshire, on day two of Her Royal Highness's Diamond Challenge on the occasion of the Sixtieth Anniversary of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

Court Circular 21st September:
The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, this morning attended a Trustees' Meeting at Gulliver House, Madeira Walk, Windsor, Berkshire.

His Royal Highness, President, Wellington College Real Tennis Court Appeal, this afternoon opened the new Real Tennis Court at Wellington College, Crowthorne, and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of the Royal County of Berkshire (Mr. James Puxley).

The Countess of Wessex today bicycled from Catterick to York on the third day of Her Royal Highness's Diamond Challenge on the occasion of the Sixtieth Anniversary of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.
Wellington College | Newsletter
Old 09-22-2016, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The photos from Sophie's blog are great, and it's also nice to read her text too. She appears to be very down to earth, I love the photos of her with her fellow cyclists.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-23-2016, 03:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
The photos from Sophie's blog are great, and it's also nice to read her text too. She appears to be very down to earth, I love the photos of her with her fellow cyclists.

They certainly are, aren't they? I love the group one in front of the Border Stone. Everyone looks thrilled to be there and it just shines out of the picture. :). I once trained for a day long Charity Bike Ride to raise money for the Cdn National Institute for the Blind and, while the hills we had are nothing compared to Sophie and Team's hills, they were still hills and I more than get just how relieved they were to get Day Two done and dusted. :)

You mentioning how down to earth the Countess seems reminds me of a quote in the story of the Wessexes visit to Canada last year in Majesty magazine. HRH, accompanied by the Premier, Lt Governor and other prominent Senior Female Leaders here in Ontario paid a visit to one of the most remote of the Native Reserves we have here in NE Ontario. When the Chief was asked if meeting Sophie had lived up to what he imagined it would be, his reply was that of all the things he pictured happening that day, seeing the Countess plop herself down on to muddy grass to not only talk to, but to play a counting game w/his little Granddaughter? That was well and truly beyond anything he imagined taking place over the two days of the Visit.

I can imagine.

Speaking of the Wessexes, Majesty magazine and coverage of their Annual Visit to Canada, the latest Majesty has a wonderful piece in it about this Summer's Visit out West. Of course what's the latest here, may very well not be the latest one everywhere else, but thought I'd mention it. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Administrator

The Earl of Wessex is currently visiting the Channel Islands in connection with the Duke of Edinburgh Award:

** itv: Prince Edward visits the Channel Islands **
Old 09-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Sophie Wessex is in high spirits on day five of her 450-mile charity cycle | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Nobility

I'm assuming that there aren't details of the route?!?!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
I'm assuming that there aren't details of the route?!?!
The route isn’t known in advance, but they publish the stops once the day is over. Also people have been mentioning on twitter and such if they see them passing by.

The Countess of Wessex's DofE Challenge blog –days 4 and 5:
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessex...#bio-section-3
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessex...#bio-section-4
Old 09-23-2016, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
The route isn’t known in advance, but they publish the stops once the day is over. Also people have been mentioning on twitter and such if they see them passing by.

The Countess of Wessex's DofE Challenge blog –days 4 and 5:
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessex...#bio-section-3
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessex...#bio-section-4
If I were not a complete Sophie fan already, her reports from the peloton would have completely won me over. Pongs and backsides!
I'm a firm believer in recreating yourself as you age. I have her by a decade, but completely understand how Sophie took this challenge and think I understand where this might take her. To rediscover/push your physical limits is a really fun thing! I know it makes me feel younger and more confident. But it also put me in touch with my strengths and limitations. Knowing that, I (and I think Sophie) can understand how much there is yet to try/accomplish. And great ways to do that.
The joy for me comes when I meet a goal - because then it's on to some new goal that I had not imagined. Empowering. Very DOE Challenge-ish! No wonder people are loving her experience on the bike and with the team!
She will have crazy oxygen capacity when she finishes. I hope she uses it to chase and catch her children all over the yard. What fun!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
They certainly are, aren't they? I love the group one in front of the Border Stone. Everyone looks thrilled to be there and it just shines out of the picture. :). I once trained for a day long Charity Bike Ride to raise money for the Cdn National Institute for the Blind and, while the hills we had are nothing compared to Sophie and Team's hills, they were still hills and I more than get just how relieved they were to get Day Two done and dusted. :)
That's a great achievement, well done! Unfortunately I never learned the common skill of how to cycle. I have a peripheral neuropathy, a condition which affects the nervous system, which in turn affects my balance so I've never been able to ride. It's something that I have always wanted to try (I had lessons once, but because of other things I had to quit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
You mentioning how down to earth the Countess seems reminds me of a quote in the story of the Wessexes visit to Canada last year in Majesty magazine. HRH, accompanied by the Premier, Lt Governor and other prominent Senior Female Leaders here in Ontario paid a visit to one of the most remote of the Native Reserves we have here in NE Ontario. When the Chief was asked if meeting Sophie had lived up to what he imagined it would be, his reply was that of all the things he pictured happening that day, seeing the Countess plop herself down on to muddy grass to not only talk to, but to play a counting game w/his little Granddaughter? That was well and truly beyond anything he imagined taking place over the two days of the Visit.

I can imagine.

Speaking of the Wessexes, Majesty magazine and coverage of their Annual Visit to Canada, the latest Majesty has a wonderful piece in it about this Summer's Visit out West. Of course what's the latest here, may very well not be the latest one everywhere else, but thought I'd mention it. :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
That's such a sweet gesture from Sophie - this is another addition to my mental "reasons why Sophie is one of my favourite British royals" list!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Nobility

The Countess of Wessex's DofE Challenge blog –day 6 (I had a good laugh with this one also):
https://www.royal.uk/countess-wessex...#bio-section-5

Thank you @RAFWittering1 for the fantastic send off for The Countess of Wessex on day six of her #DofEChallenge!
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...366208/photo/1

Sophie's Just Giving page is at £180,995 so far:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraisi...tess-of-Wessex
Old 09-25-2016, 04:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Very good job by Sophie. I'm sure she is looking forward to finishing
Old 09-25-2016, 07:47 AM
Aristocracy

Edward's smile and kiss on the cheek before it started said it all. He knew she had it in the bag before it started.

Sophie wouldn't even have cosidered undertaking such a task unless she knew she was well up for it. Teamwork is everything ..... I'm sure the adrenolin is high!
Old 09-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Nobility

They made it:
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...984960/photo/1
Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Lovely photos! Edward and the children look so proud!
Old 09-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Brilliant!

Tags
countess of wessex, current events, earl of wessex, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, viscount severn