The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Posts concerning the Countess of Wessex's outfit for the above event have been moved to the following thread:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1835854

Old 11-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Courtier

The Countess is currently with working visit in NY, as of tomorrow she will be visiting Toronto.

Here's my coverage: HRH The Countess of Wessex
Zimbio has lovely gallery from today (pics via Getty).

Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
The Countess is currently with working visit in NY, as of tomorrow she will be visiting Toronto.

Here's my coverage: HRH The Countess of Wessex
Zimbio has lovely gallery from today (pics via Getty).
On a day like today, I dream about royals and the people, like you Anna, who do them a great service. I dream you were there to chat with the Duchess after her visit to ground zero. I know it would have been an amazing conversation and held many levels of discourse. Your background, hers, your empathy for others and the memorialiization of atrocities - it would have made for a rich conversation. Maybe painful, but rich. Your coverage of the day shows your heart.
You do good things, Anna, and we appreciate them.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Majesty

Anna, what a lovely post about Her Highness' visit to NYC. Thank you for always doing such wonderful coverage of the Countess' events.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Administrator

The Earl of Wessex visited the Muslim Burial Ground in Woking, Surrey, today, November 12:

** 964eagle.co.uk: Prince Edward unveils new Woking peace garden **

Old 11-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Courtier

Thank you for your lovely comments!
The Countess is currently in Toronto. Her visit ends tomorrow.
HRH The Countess of Wessex: 1st day of Toronto/Ontario working visit for The Countess of Wessex.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Majesty

So nice to see this coverage, annaelfka. Sophie seems to be taking quite an interest in our aboriginal folks. It's nice to see.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:39 AM
Gentry

I was able to take some photos of the Countess of Wessex at the Royal Winter Fair this afternoon. She received a very enthusiastic reception!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/855365...h/22973650166/
Old 11-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir View Post
I was able to take some photos of the Countess of Wessex at the Royal Winter Fair this afternoon. She received a very enthusiastic reception!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/855365...h/22973650166/
Hi I used 1 pic with credit & redirection, do let me know if that's ok, as your pics were terrific. Looks like Sophie had a fabulous time!
HRH The Countess of Wessex
Old 11-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
Hi I used 1 pic with credit & redirection, do let me know if that's ok, as your pics were terrific. Looks like Sophie had a fabulous time!
HRH The Countess of Wessex
That's great. Thanks! You have a wonderful site!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Administrator

The Earl of Wessex was in Bolton today, November 17, to visit Bolton School marking the school's centenary and to open the new University Technical College.

As Patron he also attended the Award Ceremony for the 2015 Bruntwood Prize for Playwriting at the Royal Exchange Theatre Company in Manchester.

** bolton.ac.uk: Royal opening for the Stoller Building **

** boltonschool.org: Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, Visits Bolton School **

** manchestereveningnews.co.uk: Prince Edward is sung the National Anthem by a robot at the opening..**
Old 11-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sophie Wessex says she's the only royal woman with a career - even though her own PR firm bombed after newspaper sting-
Sophie Wessex says she's the only royal woman with a career | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Sophie Wessex says she's the only royal woman with a career - even though her own PR firm bombed after newspaper sting-
Sophie Wessex says she's the only royal woman with a career | Daily Mail Online
JMO, but there should be a law about slips that are older then 5 years. Instead of "In 2001 she made indiscreet comments about Royal Family" the press should have to say "14 years ago she made...
Old 11-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Courtier

That's below of the lowest of the low even for DM, I am surprised Rebecca wrote it. And don't get me started on comparison of Sophie's job cv with Kate's. That's laughable.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She was subsequently forced by Buckingham Palace to do an exclusive interview with the newspaper in return for dropping the story – an agreement the paper later reneged on – in which she talked about her husband’s sexuality.
His sexuality? Is this from the fake sheik tapes or an interview? I'm looking for a link but can't find the particular reference.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
His sexuality? Is this from the fake sheik tapes or an interview? I'm looking for a link but can't find the particular reference.
It was all in one time, she had to do the interview, so the News of the World, wouldn't print the story on her comments, which was printed either way, not sure who broke the news, but the news travelled fast and almost every paper had printed this story.. So she had to deal with headlines like "My Edward is not gay" - there were idiotic roumours he was, and shortly afterward the News of The World sting was out, and it was just the worst time ever for her.
Sophie's choice: PR or the Palace - Telegraph
Old 11-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Countess of Wessex's "career" comment was very surprising to come from a former PR professional. Considering the very considerable workload of some of the royal women are carrying, including the work they do as very involved members of charitable organizations, the Countess most likely ruffled a few feathers. Although her career was in the private field, sometimes work is work no matter where it is done.

The rumors regarding Prince Edward's sexual orientation were around long before Sophie came along.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The Countess of Wessex's "career" comment was very surprising to come from a former PR professional.
She was speaking about professional job/work before her royal days. She has been working since she finished her school. She was not talking about royal job.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Well at least they got it right in the end .. she is one of the most valuable assets the Royal Family have so though a bit catty this article the end was to the point
Old 11-22-2015, 01:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
As was Anna mentioned, the comments about Edward's sexuality came in the interview that Sophie gave to the News of the World at the same time as the fake sheik scandal (in an unsuccessful attempt to get them not to publish the transcripts of the tapes). The interview was rather lengthy and rather personal - with "My Edward is Not Gay" splashed in giant letters on the front page of the NOTW - but I don't think it can be found online anymore (nor can the fake sheik transcripts, AFAIK), due to the fact that the NOTW shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The Countess of Wessex's "career" comment was very surprising to come from a former PR professional. Considering the very considerable workload of some of the royal women are carrying, including the work they do as very involved members of charitable organizations, the Countess most likely ruffled a few feathers. Although her career was in the private field, sometimes work is work no matter where it is done.

The rumors regarding Prince Edward's sexual orientation were around long before Sophie came along.
As the Daily Mail article mentions (and at least they got this part right!), Sophie was speaking at a 100 Women in Hedge Funds event in New York. Her exact comment was: "I am rare because I am one of the few ladies in the British Royal Family who has had a professional business career and their own company. So perhaps I am able, through my own experience, to have a deeper appreciation of the corporate world and what it’s like to have to climb the career ladder." She was mentioning it in the context of the fact that women working in hedge funds (the group she was addressing) are somewhat rare themselves. Much of her audience may not have known she had a professional background, so she probably thought it worth mentioning.

In general, I feel like what little media coverage Sophie has gotten in recent years has been positive (and deseevedly so, IMO), but I feel like there's a little bit of backlash recently, especially from the Daily Mail. They've gone from praising her style to, in recent months, suddenly seeming to focus on the fact that her clothes cost a lot (as designer clothes tend to do!). And now dragging up silly stuff like this just because she mentioned the fact that she used to have a career. Typical tabloid silliness.

Tags
countess of wessex, current events, earl of wessex, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, viscount severn