The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
I sure would like to see that photo as I think they resemble one another more than Diana's sister Jane.
Heres the link
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-a-5354-2.html
look at post 23 HRH Kimetha.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
Heres the link
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-a-5354-2.html
look at post 23 HRH Kimetha.
Thanks, Sirhon. This picture does show the two of them looking like sisters.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Your Welcome.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Commoner

Sophie resembles Diana in looks only

Sophie does indeed look a lot like Princess Diana, however when watching interviews with her it is very evident that her personality is far more assertive than Diana's. Diana had a quiet loveliness and sweet spirit that made her unique as a royal. Sophie may look like her, but that's where the similarity ends. Sophie's strength is her stamina. Beloved Diana did not have a chance to develop it coming into the royal family at such an early age. Luckily Sophie got to watch and learn from past mistakes and live inside the royal circle for many years before she became an official member. Sophie is lovely and it is nice that she resembles a beloved royal such as Princess Diana.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 PM

It was interesting that all the Di lookalikes became Sophie lookalikes when she died. At least they weren't like the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret lookalikes I've worked with who are still doing it 5 years on. Don't get me wrong, the ladies who do it are lovely but I think there's an issue of taste.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRoyal
...Beloved Diana did not have a chance to develop it coming into the royal family at such an early age...
So true. Imagine what obstacles she might've overcame if she had been able to develop into a stronger woman. She really came into her own later in her life. I believe that she might still be with us if she had the chance to grow into an adult. MHO

I know this is Sophie's thread but...
Old 05-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

Well,Sophie took cues from a very fashionable woman;Diana was dressing chicly,elegantly and tastefully in those days.Who can blame Sophie for wanting to look elegant,too?
I miss Sophie's shorter hair,but longer hair serves as padding for a tiara,I suppose.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well Diana had about 17 years from the time of her marriage to the time of her death, so she had plenty of time to grow into an adult.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 AM
Aristocracy

the di look

back then everyone wanted the di look
Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 AM

I think honestly that Diana sort of copied the Duchess of Gloucester. If you look at the eighties photos of both women, their styles are remarkably similar. Maybe it was accidental and only because of the fashions for women of their calibur in the day, but I can't shake that impression. And in the nineties, when the Duchess chopped her hair, Diana did it too.
Sophie must have been part of the same social set and therefore, Sophie went along with the same fashions.
As to Sophie and Diana "looking" alike, no way, not at all. There is some similar Sloaney-poney-ness but that's it. I think they got on well, though, and respected each other. I remember a photo of them together from 1994. They seemed to enjoy each other's company a lot.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think by the time of her death Diana did mature into a strong woman.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I think honestly that Diana sort of copied the Duchess of Gloucester. If you look at the eighties photos of both women, their styles are remarkably similar. Maybe it was accidental and only because of the fashions for women of their calibur in the day, but I can't shake that impression. And in the nineties, when the Duchess chopped her hair, Diana did it too.
Sophie must have been part of the same social set and therefore, Sophie went along with the same fashions.
I think you are spot on and yes they were the fashion of the day.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Actually...if I recall (can't remember the source)...the Chatto wedding was one of the few times that Sophie and Diana were in the same place. Diana was on her way out of the family and Sophie was just dating (although seriously) Edward.

Sophie made an effort not to be that close to Diana (at least in public) because of the comparisons that were being made in the press. There was also talk of Sophie being uncomfortable because Diana was staring at her (it is somewhat rude but I am going to guess that Diana was looking for the "comparison" as well.

Supposedly we all have a twin in the world. I have seen pics of "mine" and to me...we look nothing alike!

But yes in the 90's...a lot of people dressed like them.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
...the Chatto wedding was one of the few times that Sophie and Diana were in the same place.
That was it. It was the Chatto wedding where I saw them in one photo talking just outside the cathedral. The photo was in the book by Andrew Morton, the second one he did about Diana, "her new life" or something. Well, in any case, they looked like they felt pleasant enough. I think Diana remained on good terms with some members of the family and was always mindful, though respectful of those members' cautious attitude to her. She knew what a tight rope it was and didn't want to make things worse, if only for the sake of her sons. I like what sirhon said a couple of posts up and agree that she was finally growing up and coming to terms with her demons, taken from the world at a time when she was maturing very nicely. It took her a long time to mature, but in fairness, she had a lot more demons to battle out than say, Camilla, who really has had a charmed existence by comparison! Camilla found her soulmate so young and has always been loved by the man of her dreams ever since. how many people are so lucky?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Royal Highness

except for the hair i don't think they look anything alike. i also think that sophie is quietly confident enough not to have to copy diana. both women have wonderful fashion sense and seem to stick to classic styles.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
except for the hair i don't think they look anything alike. i also think that sophie is quietly confident enough not to have to copy diana. both women have wonderful fashion sense and seem to stick to classic styles.
No, I agree that there is no question of either Sophie or Diana ever copying each other, not intentionally. Apart from having similar mannerisms and fashion preferences, from being products of similar social circles, there is no resemblance beyond superficiality. However, some pictures of Sophie and Edward when they were just getting to know each other, vaguely resemble Prince William and Kate, not physically, but just the way they hold themselves with each other, the mannerisms and everything. Prince William now is just so young Edwardish, and Kate just has that Sophie, part-girl-next-door, part-wealthy Miss Tweedy quality.

But all the royal women do kind of copy each other in a way. They have this strict code of fashion -- tweeds for country outings, proper heels and skirts for engagements, tiaras for gala -- that they all just stick to and feed from. Besides that, there are the standard swapping and recycling, Diana wearing (and getting some foot fungus thing from) Sarah's shoes, the Queen pawning off her oldie dresses on Anne or Margaret or whatever.... I guess it's just another reason to love them.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Nobility

Sophie did have a different hairstyle in the photo (I don't have the link) taken at the "real tennis" first meeting of Prince Edward. (The one where she draped her arm around Edward) the next photos I remember of Sophie showed her with a very similar cut of the early Diana style...but then that particular style (which I thought was inspired by Dorothy Hamil at the 1976 Olympics) is a no-muss, no-fuss style...very flattering for both Diana's and Sophie's face shape.

Sophie always looks very nice and never seems to want to upstage Her Majesty which should be the goal of every royal lady.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

i dont think so

maybe thier choices are similar

but it doesnt seem like she is copying her
Old 04-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Diana wearing (and getting some foot fungus thing from) Sarah's shoes,
In her autobiography Sarah claimed that SHE caught something from Diana's shoes... and this allegedly caused the rift that lasted until Diana's death.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I still don't understand why she mentioned that in her book.

Tags
charities, countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, fashion, patronages, princess diana, public image, sophie, style