The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 13th, 2004 - 8:42 pm
I do not think it is awful if Catherine Walker designs for Sophie. While Diana was alive, the Duchess of Kent was wearing her designs and still does! If Catherine Walker can make great outfits for Sophie, I think it is all good. I don't necessarily think by using Catherine Walker, Sophie is "copying" Diana, she is just using a great designer and boosting the British Fashion scene. If she is boosting the British Fashion scene like Diana once did, that is good too!! Keep the British on the map!! Just because Diana did it, does not mean Sophie cannot take up the baton on a few things and incorporate it into her public persona!.

As someone who loves Diana greatly, I think Sophie is inoffensive to Diana's memory and is doing well! People should leave poor Sophie alone about this and let her get on with her life!
Sophie doesn't wear just CW. She's got some other designer, too. I forget the woman's name but it was mentioned in the Majesty magazine article on Sophie a few months ago.

Old 06-14-2004, 12:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Countess of Wessex would replace for Princess Diana's job this summer at Angola where she would follow footsteps same Diana in 1997 what you think?

I think Sophie wouldnt had patron as Ballet because Duke of York had it he been replace for Diana,Princess of Wales he acceptance to become president or patron of Ballet since Diana been ballet patron since 1980's to 1997.

if you have names of woman who designer for Sophie? not as Catherine Walker because Catherine Walker wanted special honour for Diana,Princess of Wales because Diana was popular Princess.

Sara Boyce

Old 06-14-2004, 01:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I never stated she was patron of it now did I? I was responding to other people's assertions that she had tried to associate herself with ballet interests.
You spoke of the ENB in particular. She hasn't associated herself with the ENB. I think her only official association with ballet is to one ballet school. As to whether she was genuinely interested in ballet before her marriage, the offical royal family website says she was.

Quote:
However what I did state is a fact: none of these is going to go under just because the Duke of York or whomever isn't giving their nominal patronage one year or another.
Obviously not; charities and arts associations manage to survive quite handily without royal patrons, and they survive in countries without royal families. However, they don't get a royal patron unless they request one (and sometimes then they don't get one anyway), which means that the decision-makers at the ENB and other ballet companies (and arts associations and charities) with royal patrons must have thought that having an association with a member of the royal family would be advantageous.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:04 AM
Aristocracy

Others spoke of the English National Ballet. I repeated that reference and also mentioned other associations. Nor did I state that Sophie Wessex was "associated" directly with ENB.

Obviously royal patronage can be advantageous, but that's a very general statement and doesn't bear much scrutiny. One charity may have such and a similar type of charity not, and there is certainly no guarantee that the former will have any financial or other "advantage" over the latter. It's as simple as that. And Sophie Wessex IMO certainly doesn't work any major advantage as a charity patron no matter what fuss they make over her publicly. Some royals will just do a far better job at it in terms of time and visibility they bring to a cause or organization.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by sara1981@Jun 13th, 2004 - 10:26 pm
if you have names of woman who designer for Sophie? not as Catherine Walker because Catherine Walker wanted special honour for Diana,Princess of Wales because Diana was popular Princess.

Sara Boyce
Sara, Catherine walker runs a business. She designs for ppl who will pay for her designs. She could not possibly be refusing customers other than Diana because her business would have folded by now.

Sophie wears at least two designers, Catherine Walker and the other lady. According to reports, Sophie had some clothes made by CW when she and Edward decided to do to fulltime royal duties.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Courtier

Hi,

I would just liek ot make a few correction. Sophie and her entire family on both sides have a long tradition of ballet. Sophie and her female cousins all attended ballet school and if you probably ask Sopihe what she wanted to be when she was a child, it would be a ballerina. (But the same can be said could all little girls)
Sophie's paternal grandmother and an aunt (unsure which side of family) were dancers in the Royal Ballet. So your answer to is Sophie just involved in ballet to copy Diana would be very wrong. Ballet appreciation is a much a part of the Rhys- Jones household, as the Windsors and the Spencers. And yes, Edward and Sopihe regualy attend the ballet, before and after their wedding. Just because it doesn't make headlines, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Sophie is going to Africa in July to Tanzania, not Angola like Diana did for her anti-landmine campaign. Sophie was 'asked' by Vision 2020 to help bring awareness to the project on behalf of Vision 2020 the British Charity who will be asssiting WHO (World Health Oraganisation).

Claire
Old 06-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by kelly9480@Jun 14th, 2004 - 9:14 am
She could not possibly be refusing customers other than Diana because her business would have folded by now.

Catherine Walker has had quite a unique approach to her business - an overall low-key image (one of the reasons why Diana chose her.) She obviously doesn't possess an ambition to be something like Dior or Versace that is always talked about. If Diana didn't use her she would not be out of business today, she would still be making an extremely comfortable living designing for other members of the royal family and the many society figures of London. I haven't seen Sophie in too many of her designs, and I don't see how the Countess of Wessex could afford these couture clothes - she doesn't have as much money at her disposal as Diana.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Nobility

The financial situation of Wessex vs. Wales is very different, but of course Sophie can afford to pay huge sums for clothes, etc.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

It seems though in royal circles, even what we would consider a huge sum of money for clothes doesn't even come close to what is expected. Fergie talked about this. She said she received a generous stipend from the Queen and it still wasn't enough to keep up!
Old 06-19-2004, 07:49 AM
Courtier

I know I'm propbably going to get kicked for saying this. But I think that Sophie has it better than Sarah. I remember that Sarah used to get such bad press whenever she wore a dress twice, when she looked bad in an outfit or her hat was ugly. Sophie rewears her outfits regularly, and she thankfully doesn't get that.
The late 80's tabloids were ruthless.

Claire
Old 06-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Nobility

I agree with you Claire. The Countess of Wessex does have it better than Sarah, but I don't think it's because of her repeating clothes or not, I just think it is because Sophie's style is MUCH MUCH better than Sarah's ever was. At the beggining of the marriage, Sophie's style was not that good, but now, her style is amazing. Sarah's style never got better, plus, Sarah was constantly compared to Diana when it came to their clothes, while Sophie is rarely now compared to Diana. The Wessex's income is no where near that of the Wales', but Sophie can still easily afford to by designer and couture clothes, hats, etc., especially with The Queen paying them (as well as Anne and Andrew) a generous allowence every year.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Claire@Jun 19th, 2004 - 6:49 am
I know I'm propbably going to get kicked for saying this. But I think that Sophie has it better than Sarah. I remember that Sarah used to get such bad press whenever she wore a dress twice, when she looked bad in an outfit or her hat was ugly. Sophie rewears her outfits regularly, and she thankfully doesn't get that.
The late 80's tabloids were ruthless.

Claire
You are right Claire in saying that the 80's tabloids were ruthless. Sarah had much to contend with--comparisons to Diana, and a dress style that did not improve immediately. Perhaps the Queen learned from this and makes sure Sophie doesn't fall into the predicament that Sarah did by giving even more money to insure fashion acceptance.

In addition, when the economy is not as good as it was in the 80's, it is now considered good that Sophie recycles her outfits. If Sarah or Diana did too much of that, they would have been splashed across the tabloids as a "second-hand roses".
Old 03-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Nobility

I love both women and I do not think that Sophie copied Diana. In the early days when she broke into the scene, I would often mistake her for Diana when I saw her pictures but it is more because of the similarity in their looks, hairstyle etc. She may have used the experience of Diana as a guideline in the area of fashions and I don't see anything wrong with that. Diana was the trendsetter for the modern princesses in that area.
But from the beginning she developed her own style. I think her clothes for royal duties are more proffessional and businesslike (except for the hats!), wheres Diana's tended to be of the genteel style - pretty and beautiful. IMHO.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I heard some years ago on TV that Lady Diana had known Sophie. And Diana was a little bit nerved by the looking of Sophie. Diana said with a little humor in her voice: "Oh, my mirror is coming." But Sophie looks like she looks.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Diana knew of Sophie she must have seen Sophie at family events at windsor or balmoral castle I also remeber that both Diana and Sophie were at Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding there's even a photo of them together.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
You are right Claire in saying that the 80's tabloids were ruthless. Sarah had much to contend with--comparisons to Diana, and a dress style that did not improve immediately. Perhaps the Queen learned from this and makes sure Sophie doesn't fall into the predicament that Sarah did by giving even more money to insure fashion acceptance.

In addition, when the economy is not as good as it was in the 80's, it is now considered good that Sophie recycles her outfits. If Sarah or Diana did too much of that, they would have been splashed across the tabloids as a "second-hand roses".
Also, Sarah has a mouth on her and she was quite verbal about her likes/dislikes and the press. She probably made so enemies with the media and therefore they weren't going to treat too kindly.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
I think Diana knew of Sophie she must have seen Sophie at family events at windsor or balmoral castle I also remeber that both Diana and Sophie were at Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding there's even a photo of them together.
I sure would like to see that photo as I think they resemble one another more than Diana's sister Jane.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
The financial situation of Wessex vs. Wales is very different, but of course Sophie can afford to pay huge sums for clothes, etc.
I wonder how much does the Wesexxes bring in on a yearly basis. Then they have the huge monthly payment on their home and they have to present themselves very princely. So, I wonder if they pinch pennies. Since, Sophie has no job now, except for the crown, she might get a little edgy and want to do more than what she is doing and to earn her own cash.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
I know from a very reliable source that Diana went out of her way to find out about Sophie, buying newspapers that wrote about her and talking to people that had met her. I wonder if she ever made an attempt to meet her.

There is no doubt that Sophie can't afford to spend a lot on clothes. She receives a budget from the Queen for clothes for engagements - which has to be accounted for. It is actually determined according to need. An official tour gets more money, other clothes comes out of her pocket or Edwards. The money she get from the Queen pays for her and Edward's staff, not clothes and asessories.
I think that Sophie is very good with budget buying, she plans her wardrope in advance, and sticks to classics and things she can mix and match. I don't think they have to worry about Edward's wardrobe - he could be wearing the Duke of Edinburgh's hand me downs and we wouldn't know.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
I wonder how much does the Wesexxes bring in on a yearly basis. Then they have the huge monthly payment on their home and they have to present themselves very princely.
Bagshot Park is a Crown Estates property and as a result, Edward and Sophie will not pay any rent or utilities. He used to get around £141,000 per year from the civil list, but with inflation I should think that has gone up and the Queen will not stint any of her children's pocket money. Any clothes for official tours are paid for by the Foreign Office. Although she is almost a minor royal, she will still get the freebies.

Tags
charities, countess of wessex, diana princess of wales, fashion, patronages, princess diana, public image, sophie, style