Christening of Viscount Severn at Windsor: April 19, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyalProtocol

Courtier , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Belfast
Country
United Kingdom
Below is the press release from The Palace about the Christening of Lord Severn.

Buckingham Palace press releases
ANNOUNCEMENT OF ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE CHRISTENING OF VISCOUNT SEVERN

15 April 2008

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

The Christening of Viscount Severn will take place at the private chapel at Windsor on 19 April 2008.
Notes for Editors:
This is a private Christening. However, one official photograph, taken by Mr John Swannell, will be released to the media via Camera Press.
The Christening Gown worn by Viscount Severn is a hand-made replica of Queen Victoria's daughter's Christening Gown, which was worn at subsequent Royal Christenings and has now been preserved. It is the first time this gown has been worn by a member of the Royal Family and was commissioned by The Queen.

why is there now a replica of the Christening Gown? I think that all the other royal babies worn the real gown, why the change now?

Would Louise have been the last royal baby to wear the christening gown?

Maybe the original just became too fragile to be worn anymore. My mom's family has one that's over 120 years old and it's pretty delicate, although our family probably made it from a less desirable fabric since they were pretty poor.

Any word on godparents?

Last edited:
Assuming the original gown was worn by Vicky in 1840/41 it would now be almost 170 years old. Delicate fabrics don't last forever and have to be "retired" at some stage. If the new gown is to be the start of a new royal christening tradition then Lord Severn will have the honour of being the first to wear it.

ETA.. thanks to RoyalProtocol for bringing us the news. :flowers:

Last edited:
why is there now a replica of the Christening Gown? I think that all the other royal babies worn the real gown, why the change now?

As the gown was made in 1840 it could be that the lace on it is now to frail and it would not be good for the gown if it used to often.

Would Louise have been the last royal baby to wear the christening gown?

No Xan and the youngest Kent also wore it. Sorry to say I sad to see it go.

Was the christening of his sister also a private matter after which only 1 picture was released?

Yep, same photographer and agency too.

I wonder if it will be a family portrait which will include Louise. I hope so.....

The verict out on that. We are getting one photo probably the official stuffy one. It should be noted that none of Edward's siblings were at his christening, nor were they are Andrew's.
It is just that there is going to be a terribly sad empty chair there next to Chris Rhys-Jones, that I feel would be fitting and appropriately filled by Louise.

The verict out on that. We are getting one photo probably the official stuffy one. It should be noted that none of Edward's siblings were at his christening, nor were they are Andrew's.
It is just that there is going to be a terribly sad empty chair there next to Chris Rhys-Jones, that I feel would be fitting and appropriately filled by Louise.

I asume your refurring the to thier children's baptism, with Andrew's children they were all there, as they were both baptised at public church services, and there were pictures outside the church.

With Louise we don't know who all attanded as it was privite and only the Godparents, grandparents, and parents. were in the pictured.

I asume your refurring the to thier children's baptism, with Andrew's children they were all there, as they were both baptised at public church services, and there were pictures outside the church.

With Louise we don't know who all attanded as it was privite and only the Godparents, grandparents, and parents. were in the pictured.

I believe the christening of Beatrice was no public service. But it took place at the Chapel Royal of St. James Palace so one could see all the Royals arriving and leaving, unlike the christening of William, Harry and Peter and Zara who all took place at Buckingham Palace.

No Xan and the youngest Kent also wore it. Sorry to say I sad to see it go.

how do we know that they wore the original gown??

maybe the original gown will be preserved for the heir to the throne only so then William's children could use it. James isnt of any real royal importance ie he wont do any public duties therefore maybe it has been decided that a second gown can be used for lesser royals

Actually I was talking about Prince Edward and Prince Andrew's own christenings, not their children.

I always wondered what if a royal couple had twins. They would have to make a replica of the original gown right?

I'm always afraid of what will happen if there are twins, what if there's a man-in-the-iron-mask scenario? I know there have been Royal Scottish twins ~James II (of Scotland only), but I don't think that passed down since the elder twin died.

Does anyone have any information regarding the hour when the Christening will take place? There's no mention of it in the press release.

IMO it seems that Edward and Sophie have given an indication that they do not believe that their children's futures lie within the Royal Family, given the names of the prospective godparents.

If Buckingham Palace are actually pointing out that a new robe has been made and this is the first time it's been worn then we have no reason to doubt it. I also accept that the old one has finally been retired for good as it couldn't go on for ever and must have been getting harder and harder to maintain each time it was worn.

IMO it seems that Edward and Sophie have given an indication that they do not believe that their children's futures lie within the Royal Family, given the names of the prospective godparents.

I don't think that it is a short on their family or their family ties. Its just that Edward and Sophie put a lot of importance on their friends. And IMO, rightly so, these people have been really there for them.
Besides, Louise and James' future can't lie in the royal family by virtue of who their parents are.

It was The Queen who comiss[ioned the new robe,which i can understand given the age of the original robe and she obviously wants to preserve the old robe before it actually does wear out.

hope the christening goes off well who are the godparents by the way does anyone know?

If Buckingham Palace are actually pointing out that a new robe has been made and this is the first time it's been worn then we have no reason to doubt it. I also accept that the old one has finally been retired for good as it couldn't go on for ever and must have been getting harder and harder to maintain each time it was worn.

Last edited by a moderator:
what time is it at Windsor /U.K Whens it start.

It's already finished. It was at 11h00.

I think it is interesting that Sophie and Edward think that their children will have no roles within the Royal Family given that the Dukes of Kent, Gloucester are cousins of the Queen and are involved in the Royal Family, Also, Andrew has made certain his children are going to be involved--I'm sure they'll be involved, but I suppose that Sophie and Edward just want a more private lifestyle. Of course, James will be the Duke of Edinburg which is a royal title....

That was then, this is now. A larger royal family is not favoured. Of course I have not magic ball, but I think that Louise and James might have something of a life here.
I don't think that James will have DOE and think that returns to the crown if Edward even gets get.

A larger Royal Family may not be favored, but Charles is still Uncle to Edward's children after all--and their Grandma is Queen; I'm sure that Bea and Eugenie are going to be involved--but I do respect Edward and Sophie for wanting their children to have more private lives--like Anne's children. They've turned out so well--actually, all of HM grandchildren have turned out well.
As for the DoE---it is my understanding that the title will pass to the Crown and then to Edward. Some kind of statement was made when he married Sophie--and the Royal Letters Patent that created Phillip DoE specified that one of his children would get the hereditary title upon his death.

As for the DoE---it is my understanding that the title will pass to the Crown and then to Edward. Some kind of statement was made when he married Sophie--and the Royal Letters Patent that created Phillip DoE specified that one of his children would get the hereditary title upon his death.

That is Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn. The DOE titie will be a recreation after the deaths of the Queen and the current Duke. A new tltle will be created by the King then which will state whether it is heritary or not. At this point we just don't know.:ermm:
It is my opinion that within the next three years Edward and Sophie will start a role similiar to the Glouchesters and Kents and thus their children will lead similar lives to Freddy Windsor, Rose and Davina Windsor. They might attended family gatherings and even support their favourite designer and charity but that is probably all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom