The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

If Buckingham Palace are actually pointing out that a new robe has been made and this is the first time it's been worn then we have no reason to doubt it. I also accept that the old one has finally been retired for good as it couldn't go on for ever and must have been getting harder and harder to maintain each time it was worn.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
IMO it seems that Edward and Sophie have given an indication that they do not believe that their children's futures lie within the Royal Family, given the names of the prospective godparents.
I don't think that it is a short on their family or their family ties. Its just that Edward and Sophie put a lot of importance on their friends. And IMO, rightly so, these people have been really there for them.
Besides, Louise and James' future can't lie in the royal family by virtue of who their parents are.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Aristocracy

From Hello Magazine.

The Queen leads the family celebrating baby James' big day
Old 04-19-2008, 07:30 AM

It was The Queen who comiss[ioned the new robe,which i can understand given the age of the original robe and she obviously wants to preserve the old robe before it actually does wear out.

hope the christening goes off well who are the godparents by the way does anyone know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
If Buckingham Palace are actually pointing out that a new robe has been made and this is the first time it's been worn then we have no reason to doubt it. I also accept that the old one has finally been retired for good as it couldn't go on for ever and must have been getting harder and harder to maintain each time it was worn.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

what time is it at Windsor /U.K Whens it start.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Courtier

It's already finished. It was at 11h00.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Royal Highness

I think it is interesting that Sophie and Edward think that their children will have no roles within the Royal Family given that the Dukes of Kent, Gloucester are cousins of the Queen and are involved in the Royal Family, Also, Andrew has made certain his children are going to be involved--I'm sure they'll be involved, but I suppose that Sophie and Edward just want a more private lifestyle. Of course, James will be the Duke of Edinburg which is a royal title....

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Courtier

That was then, this is now. A larger royal family is not favoured. Of course I have not magic ball, but I think that Louise and James might have something of a life here.
I don't think that James will have DOE and think that returns to the crown if Edward even gets get.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Royal Highness

A larger Royal Family may not be favored, but Charles is still Uncle to Edward's children after all--and their Grandma is Queen; I'm sure that Bea and Eugenie are going to be involved--but I do respect Edward and Sophie for wanting their children to have more private lives--like Anne's children. They've turned out so well--actually, all of HM grandchildren have turned out well.
As for the DoE---it is my understanding that the title will pass to the Crown and then to Edward. Some kind of statement was made when he married Sophie--and the Royal Letters Patent that created Phillip DoE specified that one of his children would get the hereditary title upon his death.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
As for the DoE---it is my understanding that the title will pass to the Crown and then to Edward. Some kind of statement was made when he married Sophie--and the Royal Letters Patent that created Phillip DoE specified that one of his children would get the hereditary title upon his death.
That is Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn. The DOE titie will be a recreation after the deaths of the Queen and the current Duke. A new tltle will be created by the King then which will state whether it is heritary or not. At this point we just don't know.
It is my opinion that within the next three years Edward and Sophie will start a role similiar to the Glouchesters and Kents and thus their children will lead similar lives to Freddy Windsor, Rose and Davina Windsor. They might attended family gatherings and even support their favourite designer and charity but that is probably all.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Royal Highness

It is my opinion that within the next three years Edward and Sophie will start a role similiar to the Glouchesters and Kents and thus their children will lead similar lives to Freddy Windsor, Rose and Davina Windsor. They might attended family gatherings and even support their favourite designer and charity but that is probably all.[/quote]

MOst likely you are correct--and that is about what I would expect, I just don't want to see the neice and nephew of the King disappear from view!

As for the DoE, it does have to be recreated when it reverts to the Crown, but I thought it had been announced that Edward would receive it. As it has been announced by the Palace why would that change?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Nothing has changed. The Queen has expressed her intent, it will be up to Charles to implement it.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Courtier

I expect the pic will be realeased at about eleven for the morning paps. Sorry Warren if you were saying up to see it.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Aristocracy

It was definately annouced when Edward got married and given the title Earl of Wessex that he would inherit the title DOE when his father died.

Edward is taking over quite a few of his fathers charities as he grows older - specfically the DOE Awards Scheme!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
It was definately annouced when Edward got married and given the title Earl of Wessex that he would inherit the title DOE when his father died.
Actually, it's when the title reverts to the crown, which is when Charles becomes King.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
No Xan and the youngest Kent also wore it. Sorry to say I sad to see it go.
When on earth were Xan and Albert christened? There was never any announcement about either of them. I could understand the Ulsters not wanting to release information since they are so private, but Nicholas and Paola did a lot of announcing and such when they got married and were expecting little Albert. I've been wondering why there was never any news on when these two little boys were christened.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post

Edward is taking over quite a few of his fathers charities as he grows older - specfically the DOE Awards Scheme!
According to Edward's biography ion the Official Website

Born in 1964, he was known as Prince Edward until his marriage, when he was created The Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn.

At the same time it was announced that His Royal Highness will be given the title Duke of Edinburgh in due course, when the present title now held by Prince Philip eventually reverts to the Crown.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

What about the Current Dukes other titles
Old 04-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Courtier

They will became Charles' as soon as the Duke of Edinburgh dies, then they will become part of the crown when he becames king, to pass to family or friends as he seems fit.
We were talking about James becaming the Duke of Edinburgh. Yes the Queen has made her intentions know that she would like Edward to be DOE, but we don't know yet if the title will be passed down to James.

Enough OT Lets return to the Christening.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I expect the pic will be realeased at about eleven for the morning paps. Sorry Warren if you were saying up to see it.
The christening of Viscount Severn is a private christening.
There will be pics, but only for the family and friends.
So no pics will be published and there will be no pics in the morning papers!!!

Tags
christening, christening gown, countess of wessex, earl of wessex, james mountbatten-windsor, prince edward, sophie, viscount severn, windsor