The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 01:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Birth of Lady Louise 8 Nov 2003, and Christening

http://news.bbc.co.uk

Sophie has baby girl early

The Countess of Wessex has given birth to a girl a month early, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The baby, who weighs 4lb 9oz, was delivered by emergency Caesarean section at 2332 GMT on Saturday.

The countess, 38, was admitted to Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey from her home at Bagshot Park on Saturday night.

Both mother and baby are stable but the baby has been transferred to a neo-natal unit at St George's Hospital in Tooting, London, as a precaution.

Sophie will remain in hospital "for the foreseeable future", the palace said.

The pregnancy had been progressing well and royal gynaecologist Marcus Setchell had expected to deliver the child early in December.

Earl returns

Mr Setchell was present at the hospital for the emergency operation, which was carried out by surgeon Sukhpal Singh with gynaecologist Anne Deans and midwife Adrienne Price.

The Earl of Wessex is on an official visit to Mauritius, but was flying home immediately.

The Queen is being kept informed of events.

Sophie had been due to travel to London for Sunday's Remembrance Day service and parade at the Cenotaph with other members of the Royal Family.

The child, the first for the Queen's youngest son and his wife, is the Queen's seventh grandchild and eighth in line to the throne.

The birth follows a traumatic failed pregnancy in December 2001 when Sophie was airlifted to hospital after suffering an ectopic pregnancy.

Official engagements

Surgeons operated to remove the foetus from her fallopian tube after she was rushed to King Edward VII Hospital by air ambulance.

Doctors said that if the condition had continued undiagnosed, it could have been life-threatening.

The countess initially suspended official engagements in the early stages of her pregnancy, on doctors' advice, but had resumed duties by June.

Three days ago she opened new offices for the ChildLine charity in London.

When Edward and Sophie married in 1999, it was decided, with the Queen's agreement, that any children they had would not be called His or Her Royal Highness.

Instead, the couple's baby girl will take the title of Lady.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_39547431_sophie203.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	25801  

Old 11-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Courtier

Just realized something, The Queen never got that Royal letter/patent thing out.
So in theory, we've got a new Royal Highness/Princess!

Old 11-09-2003, 05:00 AM
Courtier

Congratulations!I´m very happy for them.Sophie must be the happiest woman on earth because she wanted a baby so much.Enjoy this day,Sophie!!!!!!!For Edward it must be a surprise.He comes home as a daddy!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Courtier

Congrats to the parents :)
Old 11-09-2003, 05:17 AM
Courtier

What do you think will be the name of the girl?I would like Lady Helena????
Old 11-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

aww, I´m so happy for them!
Old 11-09-2003, 06:33 AM
Aristocracy

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Old 11-09-2003, 07:41 AM
Serene Highness

this is really good news !

I hope Sophie and the baby are doing fine

any news on the name yet?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Brava to her and to her daughter:
Old 11-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Courtier

Congratulations to the new parents!!

I know Prince Edward and Sophie are very happy these times.
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 11-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Nobility

Congratulations! Nice that is was a girl!
Old 11-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Courtier

What do you think will be he name of the little girl?

I would like:[B]Helena

And I guess there will be Elizabeth in her name as a tribute to the Queen
Old 11-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
I suppose Emily isn't going to happen. I like Helena. How about Alison or Katherine?
Old 11-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

www.yahoo.com - No name yet, but a comment from Prince Charles ...

Countess of Wessex Gives Birth to Baby

LONDON - The Countess of Wessex, wife of the youngest son of Queen Elizabeth II, has given birth to a baby girl by emergency Caesarean section, Buckingham Palace said Sunday.

The palace said the baby, who was born just before midnight, several weeks prematurely, weighed 4 lbs 9 oz. Doctors at Frimley Park Hospital south of London said both mother and daughter were "stable."

The former Sophie Rhys-Jones, 38, married Prince Edward, the queen's fourth and youngest child, in 1999. The couple's first baby is eighth in line to the throne.

The palace said the baby had been moved from the hospital, near Edward and Sophie's rural home, to the neonatal unit of St. George's Hospital in London as a precaution. The Countess would be staying in hospital "for the foreseeable future," the palace said.

It said Prince Edward, 39, was flying home from an official visit to Mauritius to see his wife and daughter.

Edward's older brother Prince Charles said he was delighted at the news.

"I'm thrilled to hear that my sister-in-law has given birth to a baby girl. I know how much this means to both her and my brother and I could not be more delighted," the prince said during an official visit to Oman.

Sophie suffered a miscarriage in December 2001 after doctors diagnosed an ectopic, or tubal, pregnancy, a potentially dangerous condition where the fetus develops outside the uterus.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness

Why not a Lady Victoria, or Lady Elizabeth? Maybe Lady Mary, the grand-mother of the Queen?
Old 11-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Fireweaver  Posted: Nov 9th, 2003 - 1:13 am

Just realized something, The Queen never got that Royal letter/patent thing out.
?
Old 11-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Courtier

Remember the debate over what title the kid was going to have? Edward and Sophie wanted the kid (as was said at the time of their wedding) to have the style and title of a Earl's kid. However,if Her Majesty didn't make a royal decree/patent/letter (whatever the thing is called) the baby, as grandchild of the soverign, would be automatically entitled to the HRH and Prince/Princess title, which is obviously higher then what they'd have as an Earl's child.
Instead of Lady X, she's technically HRH Princess X.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:55 AM
hrhsb

I think the name will be Elizabeth Helen Margaret or Elizabeth Helen Charlotte
Old 11-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Sophie and Edward will think about baby's name but hard think! i read articles said not given title for baby but must!

im happy that Sophie and baby are doing fine but Edward missed it! im wishes he will come see her from trip.

but its so small baby 4lbs its okay!

Sara Boyce
Old 11-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireweaver@Nov 9th, 2003 - 1:13 am
So in theory, we've got a new Royal Highness/Princess!
:flower: You are absolutely correct. The new baby girl IS a Royal Highness and a Princess of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
HM The Queen has NOT issused the necesary Letters Patent to deprive her grandaughter of her proper Royal status.
I think perhaps the suddeness of the child's birth has caught Buckingham Palace off gaurd. IF HM does issue the Letters Patent, I think it would be a shame and a radical violation of many years of British tradition. I would love to see the little one remain an HRH and a Princess.
Of course, HM can do as she pleases, it is her Royal Prerogative. She is the "font of all honours". :flower:

The notice to the general public concerning any Letters Patent, are routinely gazzeted in the Times, [usually in the Court Circular].

Tags
birth, countess of wessex, lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, sophie