The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

www.hellomagazine.com

NEW MOM SOPHIES FACES EMOTIONAL WAIT TO SEE BABY

11 NOVEMBER 2003
Doctors say Sophie Wessex will have to wait a few more days before being reunited with her baby daughter, who was born one month prematurely on Saturday night.

The Countess is still recovering at Frimley Park hospital in Surrey while her daughter is under observation at the neo-natal unit of St George's Hospital in Tooting. Until such time as they can be together, Sophie is taking comfort from a photograph of herself and her new baby taken just after the delivery.

Proud new dad Prince Edward has meanwhile been describing his delight at first clapping eyes on the infant. "It was a completely thrilling moment, quite difficult to describe," he said. "Obviously she is very small but she is cute and cuddly – but I would say that, wouldn't I, because I am her father."

The royal couple have yet to settle on a name for their new arrival, and they have decided to wait until they can all be together before making a choice. That is likely to be on Thursday or Friday, when the Countess is expected to be discharged.

Their new baby will be kept in hospital for up to three weeks as doctors monitor her breathing, temperature and feeding. She may have to be fed by tube for a period and kept in an incubator.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Aristocracy

Lady Mary Helena

Old 11-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Commoner

I vote for Philippa for the obvious reason of honoring grandpapa and - at the same time - giving baby a name which is rather unused by British royals. Elizabeth should definitely be one of the middle names; possibly Sophie or Helen as well.

It's always darkest before dawn. So, if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it!
Old 11-11-2003, 02:12 PM

My guess would be Lady Elizabeth Helena Mary

Elizabeth for the Queen Mum
Helena is Sophie's middle name
Mary is a very traditional royal name
Old 11-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Cherry_Jubilee_Alibi

Yeah! I am so happy I was right! I am hoping Sophie and "Helena" has a speedy recovery! :flower:
Old 11-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Is Sophie's middle name Helen or HelenA? I've seen both mentioned as her middle name and while they are very similar, they are both also 2 different names.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Nobility

Sophie's middle name is Helen.

Other names for the new royal baby could be:
<span style='font-family:Impact'>Helena-Louise Elizabeth Mary; </span>
Helena for Sophie and that was one of Queen Victoria&#39;s daughter&#39;s names
Louise was one of Queen Victoria&#39;s daughter&#39;s names
Elizabeth for Queen Elizabeth II and the Queen Mum
Mary for Queen Mary and Sophie&#39;s mother

or

<span style='font-family:Impact'>Helena-Louise Victoria Mary</span>
Victoria for Queen Victoria
Old 11-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by liv@Nov 11th, 2003 - 8:26 am

I want sth. new and extraordinary as the first name.The other one´s can be traditional

I agree&#33; Something more modern would be nice, especially since all of the traditional "christian" (as they call them) names have been used innumerable times....
Old 11-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Gentry

If I had to guess, I would think the child would be named:

Lady Mary Elizabeth Helena

"A DOMINO FACTUM EST ISTUD ET MIRABILE IN OCULIS NOSTRIS"
Old 11-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Courtier

I would like Elise Elizabeth Angela. Elise is very original. I heard the name on a movie once and I&#39;ve liked it every since. Elizabeth is for Queen Elizabeth II and, of course, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. And Angela is for the Queen Mother (it was one of her middle names). What do you all think?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:56 PM
Courtier

Lady Eirelyn Helena Rose would be "fresh", up to snuff...eh?
Lady Marian Victoria Mary
Lady Petra Elizabeth Mary
Lady Victoria Anne Elizabeth (Great-great-great...-great grandmother, aunt, och grandmother)
Lady Caitlin Anne Kathleen...

It&#39;d be a lot easier to name a boy.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by mybags@Nov 11th, 2003 - 9:21 pm
I would like Elise Elizabeth Angela. Elise is very original. I heard the name on a movie once and I&#39;ve liked it every since. Elizabeth is for Queen Elizabeth II and, of course, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. And Angela is for the Queen Mother (it was one of her middle names). What do you all think?
Elise and Elizabeth are the same name, but one is shorter.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:21 AM
Gentry

Why not Lady Alice ?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Aristocracy

I love alice, and it would be a tribute to Philip as well, as his mother (who was a mountbatten) was named Alice, a very special lady who received the yad vashem cross&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Old 11-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Commoner

I honestly expect to see Edward and Sophie name their daughter something fresh - kind of like when Princess Anne named Zara. Let that first name ring out in originality&#33; The wee one&#39;s middle names can be traditional.

It's always darkest before dawn. So, if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it!
Old 11-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Courtier

My god you people are living in denial. Every single newspaper has PRINTED that the kid would be a LADY not a PRINCESS. In addition, it was ANNOUNCED at the time of her parents wedding in 1999 that in fact, their children would bear the titles an earl&#39;s child would have.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Nobility

It seems that most people seem to think that bearing the title Princess or HRH must be wonderful - when in fact it could prove to be a curse and very limiting. Sophie and Edward have made the right decision regarding titles for their children (as did Princess Anne).
It won&#39;t be very long before William and Harry eventually marry, and there will be a lot of little HRH&#39;s running around&#33; :flower:
Old 11-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Nobility

We will just have to wait and see if or when The Queen issues a letters patent.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Nobility

Earl: Baby has changed my life - From BBC News

The Earl of Wessex has joked his life is now controlled by "two women" after the birth of his first child.

Prince Edward, who stood in for his wife Sophie at a Buckingham Palace reception, said his life had changed dramatically in the last week.

"If you&#39;re wondering why I&#39;m standing up here, I don&#39;t know which planet you&#39;ve been on," he told guests from the brain injuries charity Brainwave.

Mother and daughter remain in separate hospitals after Saturday&#39;s birth.

&#39;No dress&#39;

The baby, who weighed 4lb 9oz, was born a month early by emergency Caesarean section after Sophie became ill.

She was then transferred as a precaution to a neo-natal unit at St George&#39;s Hospital in Tooting, south London, while her mother remained at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey.

My wife really changed a few days ago and my life is now not run by one woman but two women

Earl of Wessex

Edward was abroad on an official visit at the time, but flew back to visit both his wife and daughter on Sunday night.

He told the Brainwave reception on Wednesday: "My wife really changed a few days ago and my life is now not run by one woman but two women."

He said Sophie, who is president of the charity which rehabilitates children with brain injuries and special needs, had been "adamant" the event should go ahead despite her absence.

She had "asked me to stand in for her, which I can do from time to time - but I don&#39;t agree to wear the dress", Edward joked.

The earl received a teddy bear as a gift for his daughter from a 14-year-old cerebral palsy sufferer.

Natalie Preston, from Southport, learned how to walk during a therapy programme at Brainwaves&#39; national centre in Somerset.

&#39;Good progress&#39;

Edward had earlier visited Sophie at Frimley Park Hospital, Surrey, where their daughter was born.

A spokesman for Buckingham Police said both mother and daughter, who are expected to be reunited on Thursday or Friday, continue to make good progress.

Meanwhile, police have apologised for an error which meant the countess had to wait 30 minutes for an ambulance after going into labour prematurely.

A Surrey police inspector has been moved to desk duties after he failed to send an ambulance to Sophie&#39;s Bagshot Park home, mistakenly believing one had already been called.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Nobility

Yes, can&#39;t help thinking it&#39;s (the letters patent) more of an issue with us than them&#33;
Ha&#33; :flower:

Tags
birth, countess of wessex, lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, sophie