York Family News and Pictures 1: September 2003-September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of limited access - Mermaid1962 refers to it - here is a summary

Friends claim that the couple are so close that they will eventually formalise their reunion.

“Mark my words, they will remarry,” said one friend. “It is only a matter of time.”

Another said: “It wouldn’t surprise me at all. They are a wonderful couple together and, better still, pretty amazing parents.”

The couple have remained close since they divorced in 1996 and both live at Royal Lodge, the former country home of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, in Berkshire.
They joined Beatrice, 25, and her sister, Princess Eugenie, 23, for the weekend at Balmoral, the Queen’s Scottish retreat, earlier this month.

In little-noticed comments in 2009, Prince Andrew, said “Do we have to be married? Well, let’s put it another way, I can neither confirm nor deny the possibility. We have two great children. We still look after them.”

The Duke has been linked to a string of women over the years, but none of the relationships has endured. The Duchess's friendships have, similarly, faltered.
Prince Andrew has never criticised his ex-wife and has provided financial support when she has needed it.

A spokesman for the Duchess declined to comment. END

I dont remember a "string of women" !

They did, do love one another. They shouldn't worry about anything except how they feel and want to live out their lives.

well said! they should never have divorced IMO.

Sarah and Andrew and their girls are not media darlings, but there is something about the Yorks and their bulldog determination to keep their family unit intact even after scandal, divorce and ostracizement that has kept me rooting for them.

It will be a tough road for them if they ever do remarry. Sarah is persona non grata in the highest levels of British society. Only Andrew and their girls have remained unshakeably loyal to her.:sad:

But as messy as it is, theirs is a true love story-one of the few genuine ones in the BRF, imo. That alone is worth trying to salvage perhaps.

People here called this a couple of years back (whenever Sarah's rehab special was on TV).

Looks like it works. It was probably PR that was standing between them and true love all these years.

The DoE cannot abide Sarah, and Charles reportedly has no use for her either. Sarah has been a loose cannon and probably will not be granted "HRH" again.:sad:

There is no need to 'grant' it as it is automatic - the wife of a male HRH is HRH under the 1917 LPs.

It would actually have to be a formal stripping her of the right of every woman in the land to take the titles and rank of her husband. It would have to be done by an act of parliament and not anything else - as was made clear in 2005 in the Camilla situation whereby the then PM made it clear that an Act of Parliament would be needed to strip her of her right to be Queen and that she was the Princess of Wales even though she chose not to use that title.

She may chose not to use it - but it would be her automatic right as the wife of a son of the monarch - unless the Queen was to issue LPs to stop ALL wives of sons, or at least younger sons, of monarchs that styling so stripping it from Sophie, Brigitte, Katherine and Marie-Christine and denying it to Harry's future wife as well.

THIS. If it was to ever happen, Sarah would have to agree to stay as far in the shadows as possible which I am not sure she is capable of doing.:sad:

Just wondering...would they have to have another CoE ceremony or just a civil ceremony? Has the CoE changed it's policy on divorce?

The CoE's attitude on divorce changed many years ago to allow for divorced persons to marry in a CoE service so long as the new partner didn't substantially contribute to the break up of the former marriage so Charles and Camilla didn't have a CoE service as people saw Camilla as a cause of the break-up of Charles' first marriage, rightly or wrongly but that is a discussion for another forum. As Andrew and Sarah would be remarrying, with no intervening marriage, there would be no bar to them remarrying in the CoE. It could even be argued that they don't need The Queen's consent under the RMA as she gave that back in 1986.

I'd be happy to see them re-marry, personally.

All I could think about this is--Buckle up folks, it is going to be a bumpy ride.

My father remarried his ex and I have a friend who did as well. Neither worked. There are reasons that you divorce. Unless you do lots of therapy to find out why and fix the problems. The problems are still there in the end and you will revert to the former miserable state that you were before, only to kick yourself for not learning the lesson the first time!

After Sarah's Oprah "performance" where she had all the help anyone could hope for to start moving in the right direction, she doesn't understand that she is a messed up NARCISSIST. Andrew is so co-dependent it is sad. He has dated some nice ladies who could have helped him in so many ways. All I can say is sad. Really sad. I wish I could be happy for them, but they haven't fixed their independent issues, so this isn't going to go well, I fear.

Cynderella, you make some great points especially about Sarah's "Oprah" appearances. AWFUL.:eek:

But how do we know about the quality of Andrew's post divorce relationships? How can we be sure these were "nice" women he was involved with?

And most important of all, how do we know that A/S have not recently gotten some intensive and private counseling to iron out and "fix" their problems?

Last edited:
Sarah hasn't known 'normal life' since she married Andrew in '86...and considering her friendship with Diana and life on the periphery of Royal life since childhood it's arguable that Royal life IS 'normal life' for Sarah and that the structure it would provide, for a woman of 53 who has been behaving herself well for several years, would be a good fit.

Joe Little of Majesty states on his @MajestyMagazine Twitter account that there is "some substance to this story. Wait and see what happens."

I have my fingers crossed for them in a big way. It's time for Andrew (who has often looked miserable for the last 17 years) and Sarah (who has struggled without him) to be happy. I hope they get their happily ever after, they have been splendid parents and nothing done during and after their marriage has been something that couldn't be forgiven, forgotten and loved through. Call me a hopeless romantic, but there is something about a second time around marriage that I love.

Lord Royal you are absolutely right that Andrew has never looked truly happy since his divorce. It's sad to see, because he was once such a devil-may-care character.:sad:

Maybe it's like someone else suggested, that this is a trial balloon being floated by BP to gauge public opinion. But from reading online reaction and comments in the newspapers most people seem to feel that it's their lives, their business, good for them.

Most of the opposition might be within the BRF itself. I cannot imagine that the DoE would be okay with it...unless he has become too ill and frail to care anymore?

This should be interesting.:whistling:

Last edited:
I do think that Andrew was truly in love with Fergie.
Yet I never believed she returned it, but saw him as a meal ticket.
When you love someone, you don't humiliate them with a string of public infidelities, don't exploit them for financial gain, and don't sabotage their family relationships.

It's true their other love interests didn't work out, but in Fergie's case, I feel she simply couldn't find a man who would support her in the lifestyle she felt entitled to. She is an average-looking woman now in her fifties, not the super-model type, and Andrew is her last best hope.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but I can't find much that is likeable in this woman.

My mum has said for years now that she believes that despite the divorce they have had periods of living as man and wife and one day would go official again.

If she can behave according to her rank and not put to shame the title of "HRH the Duchess of York" that's fine with me. Besides it would be refreshing to know that she learnt a thing or two these past few years...
Wait and see, it would be strange to see her doing royal engagements though...

Sometimes a divorce just doesn't work out. Perhaps they should have tried a trial divorce first? Perhaps the reasons for a divorce were not strong enough to hold a divorce together? Perhaps instead of moving on with their lives they just couldn't start thinking of themselves only and its a family atmosphere that is destroying the divorce? We really don't know. Perhaps the Queen will decide that the only solution for their situation is to marry and put to an end the happiest divorce in the world. Only time will tell.

Whatever happens, I wish Andrew and Sarah the best. :flowers:

Cynderella, you make some great points especially about Sarah's "Oprah" appearances. AWFUL.:eek:

But how do we know about the quality of Andrew's post divorce relationships? How can we be sure these were "nice" women he was involved with?

And most important of all, how do we know that A/S have not recently gotten some intensive and private counseling to iron out and "fix" their problems?

Wasn't there a Koo Stark in Andrew's post divorce life? The company he has kept has not been what one might call "nice".

This and Michelleqmpost are v harsh. We all can learn from our mistakes. Sarah and Andrew have brought their girls up v well.

So many people in the world hope for a 2nd chance - why not these 2?

I am sorry that you and others think that my post is harsh. I believe in second chances; third and fourth a matter of fact. But Sarah has constantly done things that shone quite negative light on her husband's family. The fact that she constantly clings to her daughters for "celebrity" functions is quite sickening. And when she sold access to her husband for a percentage, that was the last straw for me. She is a leech!

It has always been obvious that Andrew is madly in love with her, and as I stated, I always thought that they would remarry, especially after Charles married Camilla. But Sarah is a user and Andrew is her main enabler.

My opinion.

I do think that Andrew was truly in love with Fergie.
Yet I never believed she returned it, but saw him as a meal ticket.
When you love someone, you don't humiliate them with a string of public infidelities, don't exploit them for financial gain, and don't sabotage their family relationships.

It's true their other love interests didn't work out, but in Fergie's case, I feel she simply couldn't find a man who would support her in the lifestyle she felt entitled to. She is an average-looking woman now in her fifties, not the super-model type, and Andrew is her last best hope.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but I can't find much that is likeable in this woman.

I think she is/was deeply narcissistic, damaged and immature. I don't think she knew how to function in a love relationship like an emotionally healthy adult. But in some ways Andrew is also the same...immature and narcissistic.

It does not mean that people that are messed up are not capable of love. The miracle-at least to me-is that they did not completely emotionally destroy their children as narcissists tend to do.:ermm:

I know it's optimistic but my hope is that Sarah has spent the last few very quiet years in intensive self-reflection and therapy. Who is to say she hasn't?

grevinnan-Andrew was on the rebound from Kathleen "Koo" Stark when he became involved with Sarah in 1985. They remained friends but did not date after his divorce.

He dated mostly models and socialites after Sarah.

Last edited:
I am sorry that you and others think that my post is harsh. I believe in second chances; third and fourth a matter of fact. But Sarah has constantly done things that shone quite negative light on her husband's family. The fact that she constantly clings to her daughters for "celebrity" functions is quite sickening. And when she sold access to her husband for a percentage, that was the last straw for me. She is a leech!

It has always been obvious that Andrew is madly in love with her, and as I stated, I always thought that they would remarry, especially after Charles married Camilla. But Sarah is a user and Andrew is her main enabler.

My opinion.

Andrew has not led a blameless public life. He did not leave his post as international trade and finance rep without taint or tantrum. His official web pages took about a year update his position. How odd to not acknowledge reality for that time. But just my opinion.
His contribution in that role is debated; he certainly seemed to pick and choose where he put his time. His focus, in my opinion, was in what he could get from other countries and not on what the UK could be doing to give a hand up to others. It stood in stark contrast to the focus of the rest of the family's public role. It is also in in contrast to promoting the bond with poorer countries in order to stimulate their economies and trade.
We don't know, because we don't see behind closed doors, but Andrew seems to not be the family member who steps up and fills in when another of the family has some emergency. He does not do as much of the official opening or tour the provinces work as the rest of the family. Public receiving lines seem to not be his cup of tea. I'm not dismissing what he does - I just think he cherry picks his work more than the Kents, Glostesters, Wessexes and Anne.
In any case - I wish him well. I wish her well. Love is a wonderful thing.

Sometimes a divorce just doesn't work out. Perhaps they should have tried a trial divorce first? Perhaps the reasons for a divorce were not strong enough to hold a divorce together? Perhaps instead of moving on with their lives they just couldn't start thinking of themselves only and its a family atmosphere that is destroying the divorce? We really don't know. Perhaps the Queen will decide that the only solution for their situation is to marry and put to an end the happiest divorce in the world. Only time will tell.

Whatever happens, I wish Andrew and Sarah the best. :flowers:

My understanding from reading between the lines and Sarah's own books and interviews is this...Sarah initially pushed hard for an official separation from Andrew. She felt alone and under siege within the BRF when Andrew was in the Navy. Saw very little of him. They grew apart. She and Diana agreed to leave together. Sarah left first, Diana waited.

As much as I liked Diana, I always felt she could sometimes be a little mean and manipulative. She saw the Court and the public turn on Sarah like wolves and chose her own exit much more carefully and strategically. Sarah-being more impulsive and less cunning-never did have Diana's instinct for self-preservation.

Sarah played right into the hands of her enemies at Court and her detractors once she was outside the protection of the BRF. Once the photos with her and Steve Wyatt and later with John Bryant became public, the drumbeat for she and Andrew to divorce became like a runaway train. Neither of them really wanted a divorce, but after the "toe-sucking" fiasco Sarah was dead in the water and on the verge of a breakdown. All the fight was gone, and when the DoE demanded a divorce she agreed quickly. She believed she would receive a comfortable financial settlement which is far from what she got. It was shockingly small.:ohmy:

In some ways the BRF cut off their own nose by turning Sarah out with a small settlement because she was then forced to go out and make a living in sometimes rather embarrassing commercial ventures, which embarrassed and appalled them.

Left on their own without any outside interference during their trial separation, Andrew and Sarah might never have divorced.

Both-Sarah in particular-indicated on more than one occasion that the divorce was a mere "piece of paper" and that their family would continue on intact.

While I hope this story is not true, if BP does annlounce their remarriage I hope they also announce that Andrew is giving up all public positions, patronages and presidencies and that the couple will not undertake any public engagements on behalf of the monarch but will live a life of quiet retirement. Even better if they were to announce that Andrew and Sarah had decided to live abroad and would only appear in Britain for family weddings and funerals.
I cannot imagine any circumstances under which I would welcome Sarah Ferguson back as a member of the royal family. Nothing she has said or done since 1992 leads me to believe her behaviour as a royal would benefit the monarchy. IMO allowing that woman back as a HRH and working member of the family would be a very black day for the monarchy.

I think we must point out that a great deal of this is pretty much speculation. We don't know if Andrew & Sarah will get re-married or not.

I personally think if they decided to reunite as husband and wife officially, good for them. If not, then that may be they way they wanted it and works for them. I think they should be allowed to be happy as everyone else.

Last edited:
Listen, none of these folks are without fault. Diana had incredible cunning, but died in an awfully tragic way because she wanted and needed to be adored and finally found someone who was willing to do that in return for some trophy-boyfriend status (which, IMHO, he certainly didn't need ... whatever!) You have Charles, heir to the throne, on tape clearly stating that he wouldn't mind being a tampon for his mistress. You have Camilla who was a long-standing mistress. You have Harry who is shown in a photo skinny dipping in Las Vegas.

I think we're a little beyond pointing a finger at "who can be the biggest embarrassment" ...

I say let's give Andrew and Sarah another "legal" shot at what is most likely still a marriage and love match.

Bravo suztav!

I like Charles, but that "tampon tape" was the nadir of embarrassment. I read the entire transcript.:eek: At least Andrew was never heir to the Throne!

Let's face it-for all their prestige the BRF have done their share of embarrassing themselves-some of it B.F.(before Fergie)

I don't like the idea of making her-and by extension Andrew-scapegoats for all the others.

Leave them alone. It's no one's business IF they decide to reunite their family.

Last edited:
While I hope this story is not true, if BP does annlounce their remarriage I hope they also announce that Andrew is giving up all public positions, patronages and presidencies and that the couple will not undertake any public engagements on behalf of the monarch but will live a life of quiet retirement. Even better if they were to announce that Andrew and Sarah had decided to live abroad and would only appear in Britain for family weddings and funerals.
I cannot imagine any circumstances under which I would welcome Sarah Ferguson back as a member of the royal family. Nothing she has said or done since 1992 leads me to believe her behaviour as a royal would benefit the monarchy. IMO allowing that woman back as a HRH and working member of the family would be a very black day for the monarchy.
Overreaction much. :whistling:

Andrew is not the heir to the throne and while Sarah has had her share of scandals, they are nothing compared to Camilla's. They have always been a family and behind closed doors, probably a couple too.

while Sarah has had her share of scandals, they are nothing compared to Camilla's.

Here we are.

It's a matter of point of view hum.:whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom