The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1141  
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
The Church of England could use some increased popularity. If the royals patronize it by having weddings instead of long living-togethers, the C of E might go up a few notches in respect by the people. Do you realize what the percentage of those attending C of E services is? I believe it's in the single digits, low single digits. The people are probably irritated with its mamby pamby view on such things as long livings-together rather than marriage. The C of E used to be so strict it would not marry ANY divorced couple (if there were annulments I am not aware of them, but they may have occurred). Some great English novels are based on the tension of lovers not able to marry because of the C of E's strict attitude toward divorce; this has even figured prominently in Downton Abbey. I am NOT (heaven's no) encouraging a return to former stern rules, just saying the average bear would like some sort of standards?
So the D and D of York would not be the only ones getting some neat publicity if they remarry; the very Church they would wed in would get some good moves. Just my opinion...I'm not even in England. Over here in the US of A the Church has become a supine memorial figure languishing atop the tomb it will soon be interred in...JMO!
You are so right. Time to move on. Anne remarried in Scotland and then they had the temerity to bless Charles and Camilla's marriage. Either yes or no. So much hypocrisy on their part.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1142  
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I agree it's worth noting that "Majesty" is far from a gossip magazine.
I'm not reading too much into comments from Sarah's spokesperson either way. I think even IF the rumours are true, a lot would have to be sorted behind the scenes before they could confirm anything officially.
If as someone suggested they were testing to see what media/public reaction would be to a reunion, I think they would have been surprised by the amount of goodwill expressed. What has me curious is the report of them spending much of the winter in Verbier. What was all that about?
They like to keep us guessing, and I don't think they will put us in the picture any time soon.
No, didn't the original article come from Richard Eden at The Telegraph? That's where I first saw it, anyway.

I think that the article arose from media speculation after Sarah's visit to Balmoral. Probably some journalists telephoned "friends" of the Yorks to find out was going on. Then what started out as a rumour was fanned into flame and printed everywhere as "fact". My parents actually heard on the radio (here in Canada) that Andrew and Sarah were getting remarried.

It's pretty interesting to see all the public support for a remarriage, though. I think Andrew and Sarah would actually have more support if they remarried than Charles and Camilla did.

Interesting point about the Church of England, too. A remarriage would be a boost for the monarchy (possibly...if done the right way...) and a boost for the church. Remarriages of divorced people don't happen very much at all...and divorce is all-too common.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1143  
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
The Church of England could use some increased popularity. If the royals patronize it by having weddings instead of long living-togethers, the C of E might go up a few notches in respect by the people. Do you realize what the percentage of those attending C of E services is? I believe it's in the single digits, low single digits. !
Why is that so hard to understand. The same can be said about most Christian religions in the UK and in other parts of Europe and likely in other parts of the world as well. It has nothing to do with the marriage or remarriage of princes. We are an increasingly secular society. Even those who call themselves believers mostly use churchs for weddings, christenings, funerals and perhaps Christmas and Easter services but on a weekly basis there are not that many bums on the pews on a Sunday. Thousands of churchs ( including 3 in my neighbourhood, 2 RC and 1 Baptist) have become apartments, nightclubs, shops and community centres because that is a better use for them and of course because the churches could use the money from the sales because collections are down.
Reply With Quote
  #1144  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Alamos, United States
Posts: 1,034
You are right, NGalitzine about church attendance being down in the liturgical denominations. But it is related to the marriage and remarriage of princes, because the monarch in Britain is the head of the Church. The Queen in some ways is superior even to the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Church. And that promise which the monarch makes at crowning promises to support this very Church, specifically the C of E (if I remember other posts on other threads correctly). You understand I'm not fandom for the C of E in particular among the Christian denominations; it has its pro's and con's. Just saying the Sovereign is its Head.
Reply With Quote
  #1145  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
The people do not look at HM as a religious leader, and the marriages, divorces and remarriages of her children have little to no influence on the people. It might have been more accurate to say that the BRF merely caught up to the general population when it comes to divorce and remarriage.
If your view accurately reflects British society what explanation do you have for a similar drop in attendance at religious services on the continent or in Canada or other western nations and not just amongst members of the Anglican communion? The simple fact of the matter is that western societies have become very secular, there are fewer believers and even those believers are not in weekly attendance at their local church which is why many of their local churchs are no longer still churchs. These changes in church attendance started long before HMs children started getting married and certainly before anyone was getting remarried and before the CofE began to change its position on remarriage of divorced persons.
Reply With Quote
  #1146  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
No, didn't the original article come from Richard Eden at The Telegraph? That's where I first saw it, anyway.

I think that the article arose from media speculation after Sarah's visit to Balmoral. Probably some journalists telephoned "friends" of the Yorks to find out was going on. Then what started out as a rumour was fanned into flame and printed everywhere as "fact". My parents actually heard on the radio (here in Canada) that Andrew and Sarah were getting remarried.

It's pretty interesting to see all the public support for a remarriage, though. I think Andrew and Sarah would actually have more support if they remarried than Charles and Camilla did.

Interesting point about the Church of England, too. A remarriage would be a boost for the monarchy (possibly...if done the right way...) and a boost for the church. Remarriages of divorced people don't happen very much at all...and divorce is all-too common.
I was responding to Mermaid1962. She mentioned the magazine and seems to be sure it came from there first. Either way the writer for majesty has tweeted that there is some substance to the story. In replying to another tweet he says there is more to the story than meets the eye but nothing will happen for some time.
Reply With Quote
  #1147  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada, Canada
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I was responding to Mermaid1962. She mentioned the magazine and seems to be sure it came from there first. Either way the writer for majesty has tweeted that there is some substance to the story. In replying to another tweet he says there is more to the story than meets the eye but nothing will happen for some time.
Hm, yes, I have just seen that tweet! Intriguing. You wonder what "inside info" he has. Maybe he knows the "source" for the story.

I think it's natural for people in Andrew and Sarah's circle to speculate on a remarriage, though, if it's true that they were in Verbier together for the whole ski season. It's starting to sound stranger with every year when they say that they are only being "joint parents to their girls." I know people always need their parents, but not in the sense that Andrew and Sarah seem to imply. Eugenie is moving away to New York next month, and Beatrice seems to have an independent life.

Edited to add: I've just been on Bonnie Brownlee's Twitter (she's CBC's royal correspondent). Earlier in August, she tweeted that she had just returned from Princess Beatrice's birthday party in London - she calls it a "wonderful evening with a lovely family." It looks like she traveled to London specifically for the party, because earlier she tells others that she will be in London "on Friday afternoon." A couple weeks later, she calls Sarah and Andrew "her good friends" and that she "loves all the stories coming out about them." Interesting that she is not questioning the stories, and that she just saw the York family this month.
Reply With Quote
  #1148  
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
You are so right. Time to move on. Anne remarried in Scotland and then they had the temerity to bless Charles and Camilla's marriage. Either yes or no. So much hypocrisy on their part.
Might it just be that the thinking in society at large, and more specifically, the CoE had moved on between 1992 when Anne remarried, and 2005 when Charles and Camilla married?
Reply With Quote
  #1149  
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 9,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I would be surprised if Andrew and Sarah remarried. They can be a couple, live together (as they do!), she can accompany him on some family events and some of the lower profile engagements. If they remarry, she will have to choose between the jet set life she has led (Elton, Naomi Campbell, David Tang) for the mundane and hard working life of a relatively minor royal. Would she be prepared to make that sacrifice? Is she not better off continuing with the way things are, and enjoying the best of both worlds. At the moment, there are no expectations of her, no work responsibilities, and she is not answerable to anybody (other than herself, her daughters, and Andrew).
completely agree. there is no reason for andrew & sarah to remarry at this stage. i can imagine to do it when charles is king, andrew will fade away from the public view and they remarry in older age for financial security reasons.

these days i rather think there is an engagement for the daughters on the card.
Reply With Quote
  #1150  
Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,168
In the eyes of the C of E they are still married as it dosn't recognise divorce so it wouldn't have to marry them again. A register office is all they would need to make it legal. Charles had to marry Camilla in a register office because the church couldn't do it because in their eyes she is still married to het first husband so only a blessing was given in St George's that day not a wedding ceremony.
Reply With Quote
  #1151  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I've often had the thought that single young royal cousins will not be asked to be full time royals until (if ever) they get married. I just have always supposed that the firm wants to know what they are getting into, rather than being surprised (again) when a FT royal dates someone really out of bounds (Koo Stark comes to mind - though I am not trying to point a finger at Andrew - it could also be someone who cannot be discreet and needs to sound out on political issues, sometime with an arrest record, drug issues, etc. ).
I just have always thought they were smart to not go all in when a young single could fall in love with someone that is too outre'.

Are you thinking of Beatrice's boyfriend prior to Dave Clark?
He had a criminal record, and it was only discovered when he broke parole to go on vacation with her family. (Andrew and Fergie had both approved of him).
Reply With Quote
  #1152  
Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 AM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Are you thinking of Beatrice's boyfriend prior to Dave Clark?
He had a criminal record, and it was only discovered when he broke parole to go on vacation with her family. (Andrew and Fergie had both approved of him).
No - really, I was thinking of all the likely things that happen these days and that the family would want to avoid.
__________________
It feels like a place where no truth goes unquestioned and where there is much more discovering to be done in the world" The Duke of Cambridge, 12/9/14

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Reply With Quote
  #1153  
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
shari-aree's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: melbourne, Australia
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by someonelikeyou View Post
Beatrice will probably be announcing her engagement soon. Sarah was probably invited to Balmoral by the Queen to start removing some of the awkwardness. They can spend some time together now, and it won't be such a big deal at Beatrice's wedding. Otherwise the whole "Sarah back in the presence of the Royals" could overshadow B's day.
I agree! ... This seems very plausible. And respectful to all involved really!
(I hope there is an engagement----PB)!
__________________
" 'an harm none; thy will be done "
Reply With Quote
  #1154  
Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,535
I thought that Joe Little had written the Telegraph article as well. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
No, didn't the original article come from Richard Eden at The Telegraph? That's where I first saw it, anyway.

Reply With Quote
  #1155  
Old 08-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
Hm, yes, I have just seen that tweet! Intriguing.
I think it's natural for people in Andrew and Sarah's circle to speculate on a remarriage, though, if it's true that they were in Verbier together for the whole ski season. It's starting to sound stranger with every year when they say that they are only being "joint parents to their girls." I know people always need their parents, but not in the sense that Andrew and Sarah seem to imply. Eugenie is moving away to New York next month, and Beatrice seems to have an independent life.

Edited to add: I've just been on Bonnie Brownlee's Twitter (she's CBC's royal correspondent). Earlier in August, she tweeted that she had just returned from Princess Beatrice's birthday party in London - she calls it a "wonderful evening with a lovely family." It looks like she traveled to London specifically for the party, because earlier she tells others that she will be in London "on Friday afternoon." A couple weeks later, she calls Sarah and Andrew "her good friends" and that she "loves all the stories coming out about them." Interesting that she is not questioning the stories, and that she just saw the York family this month.
Yes, the "committed co-parents" angle of Sarah's spokesperson's statement (a statement I found to be very vague and not a direct denial at all) has been wearing thin for years as the York princesses have grown into independent young women. And that's fine, The D&D of York, if they were testing public reaction to the prospect of a remarriage, which is my bet given it was The Telegraph Mandrake column (which Sarah and Andrew have often used to announce official news) that reported it with Majesty's Joe Little saying the story had some substance to it (Ingrid Seward, the editor of Majesty, being a friend of Sarah's), are likely flabbergasted at the degree of goodwill and positive reaction.

And yes, I too looked at Bonnie Brownlee's Twitter account...she used to work for the Yorks (jointly, after their separation, but before their divorce) as one of their press agents (Brownlee had previously worked for the Canadian prime minister Brian Mulroney in a similar capacity) and general advisors, she had a great deal of access to all the royals during those years and she now works for the CBC as their royal correspondent. I found her Tweets coy, very much in line with the thought that those in the know are aware of something the rest of us aren't quite sure of. She reiterated the "lovely family" and the copious stories coming about about The D&D of York. But what was interesting was what she didn't say: not a single denial, not a single statement of dispute.

I think where there's smoke there's fire with Andrew and Sarah. All I can say is burn, baby, burn.
Reply With Quote
  #1156  
Old 08-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,535
Is Ms. Seward still a friend of Sarah's? There was an Editor's Letter after Sarah's "cash for access" scandal that had Ingrid S. pretty much washing her hands of her. I know that Seward had a soft spot for Sarah--mostly defending her--until then.
Reply With Quote
  #1157  
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Is Ms. Seward still a friend of Sarah's? There was an Editor's Letter after Sarah's "cash for access" scandal that had Ingrid S. pretty much washing her hands of her. I know that Seward had a soft spot for Sarah--mostly defending her--until then.
In the ABC News coverage of the 'news' about the D&D Ingrid Seward was a commentator and spoke of Sarah and her relationship with Andrew, though she cautioned that nothing would happen so long as The DofE is alive, pointing out that he has publicly stated his dislike for her.

Source:
Reply With Quote
  #1158  
Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 5,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
Yes, the "committed co-parents" angle of Sarah's spokesperson's statement (a statement I found to be very vague and not a direct denial at all) has been wearing thin for years as the York princesses have grown into independent young women. And that's fine, The D&D of York, if they were testing public reaction to the prospect of a remarriage, which is my bet given it was The Telegraph Mandrake column (which Sarah and Andrew have often used to announce official news) that reported it with Majesty's Joe Little saying the story had some substance to it (Ingrid Seward, the editor of Majesty, being a friend of Sarah's), are likely flabbergasted at the degree of goodwill and positive reaction.

And yes, I too looked at Bonnie Brownlee's Twitter account...she used to work for the Yorks (jointly, after their separation, but before their divorce) as one of their press agents (Brownlee had previously worked for the Canadian prime minister Brian Mulroney in a similar capacity) and general advisors, she had a great deal of access to all the royals during those years and she now works for the CBC as their royal correspondent. I found her Tweets coy, very much in line with the thought that those in the know are aware of something the rest of us aren't quite sure of. She reiterated the "lovely family" and the copious stories coming about about The D&D of York. But what was interesting was what she didn't say: not a single denial, not a single statement of dispute.

I think where there's smoke there's fire with Andrew and Sarah. All I can say is burn, baby, burn.
Beatrice's birthday party at Royal Lodge earlier this month is at least partly responsible for this recent spate of Andrew/Sarah rumors.

Several guests who were at the party commented for the Telegraph that they were stricken by the couple's body language...by how intimate and relaxed they were, and that they were very much "like a married couple".

This entire episode has simply been odd, is all I can say.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #1159  
Old 08-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
In the ABC News coverage of the 'news' about the D&D Ingrid Seward was a commentator and spoke of Sarah and her relationship with Andrew, though she cautioned that nothing would happen so long as The DofE is alive, pointing out that he has publicly stated his dislike for her.

Source:
This reminds me if the whole Charles and Camilla couldn't marry as long as QEQM was alive, so I tend to believe it.
Reply With Quote
  #1160  
Old 08-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,535
I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
This reminds me if the whole Charles and Camilla couldn't marry as long as QEQM was alive, so I tend to believe it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Joachim Information, Biography ,News and Pictures Shikha Pal Princess Astrid, Archduke Lorenz and Family 3 01-01-2008 07:50 PM




Popular Tags
australia belgium best outfit brussels camilla chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown prince philippe crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death duchess of cornwall fashion fashion poll funeral general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg maxima nobility official visit philippe photo shoot picture of the week president gauck president hollande prince carl philip prince daniel prince of wales princess aimee princess astrid princess beatrix princess claire princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mette-marit queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima fashion queen maxima style queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal fashion sofia hellqvist spanish royals state visit stockholm sweden the hague victoria wedding willem-alexander


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]