The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Majesty

Andrew & Sarah continue to keep everyone on their toes and left wondering what they will do. They pretty much never rule anything in or out.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
A denial has been issued by Sarah's spokesperson: Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew are not rekindling romance - hellomagazine.com

So who floated the original story and why?
That's simple - speculation by the press. After they saw Sarah at Balmoral.

Probably the same people who made up the story about the Middletons having their own suite of rooms at KP. Its the silly season, fairly quiet on the royal front and so speculation becomes news.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Majesty

Very true, there's a lot of speculations around when the royals are on holiday and the news and pictures are very slow. It happens year after year.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Gentry

Beatrice will probably be announcing her engagement soon. Sarah was probably invited to Balmoral by the Queen to start removing some of the awkwardness. They can spend some time together now, and it won't be such a big deal at Beatrice's wedding. Otherwise the whole "Sarah back in the presence of the Royals" could overshadow B's day.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've often had the thought that single young royal cousins will not be asked to be full time royals until (if ever) they get married. I just have always supposed that the firm wants to know what they are getting into, rather than being surprised (again) when a FT royal dates someone really out of bounds (Koo Stark comes to mind - though I am not trying to point a finger at Andrew - it could also be someone who cannot be discreet and needs to sound out on political issues, sometime with an arrest record, drug issues, etc. ).
I just have always thought they were smart to not go all in when a young single could fall in love with someone that is too outre'.
“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 08-28-2013, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I would be surprised if Andrew and Sarah remarried. They can be a couple, live together (as they do!), she can accompany him on some family events and some of the lower profile engagements. If they remarry, she will have to choose between the jet set life she has led (Elton, Naomi Campbell, David Tang) for the mundane and hard working life of a relatively minor royal. Would she be prepared to make that sacrifice? Is she not better off continuing with the way things are, and enjoying the best of both worlds. At the moment, there are no expectations of her, no work responsibilities, and she is not answerable to anybody (other than herself, her daughters, and Andrew).
Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not sure about that. The original article was written by Joe Little, Managing Editor of "Majesty Magazine." Their writers don't usually go out on a limb and indulge in gossip. That's why I think that the source for the article was well-placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
That's simple - speculation by the press. After they saw Sarah at Balmoral.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Majesty

I always with Andrew & Sarah well in whatever they do. Stay together, remarry each other or move on, I just hope they will be happy regardless. I respect they have managed to remain very close and have kept their family together.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm not sure about that. The original article was written by Joe Little, Managing Editor of "Majesty Magazine." Their writers don't usually go out on a limb and indulge in gossip. That's why I think that the source for the article was well-placed.
I agree it's worth noting that "Majesty" is far from a gossip magazine.
I'm not reading too much into comments from Sarah's spokesperson either way. I think even IF the rumours are true, a lot would have to be sorted behind the scenes before they could confirm anything officially.
If as someone suggested they were testing to see what media/public reaction would be to a reunion, I think they would have been surprised by the amount of goodwill expressed. What has me curious is the report of them spending much of the winter in Verbier. What was all that about?
They like to keep us guessing, and I don't think they will put us in the picture any time soon.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Serene Highness

The Church of England could use some increased popularity. If the royals patronize it by having weddings instead of long living-togethers, the C of E might go up a few notches in respect by the people. Do you realize what the percentage of those attending C of E services is? I believe it's in the single digits, low single digits. The people are probably irritated with its mamby pamby view on such things as long livings-together rather than marriage. The C of E used to be so strict it would not marry ANY divorced couple (if there were annulments I am not aware of them, but they may have occurred). Some great English novels are based on the tension of lovers not able to marry because of the C of E's strict attitude toward divorce; this has even figured prominently in Downton Abbey. I am NOT (heaven's no) encouraging a return to former stern rules, just saying the average bear would like some sort of standards?
So the D and D of York would not be the only ones getting some neat publicity if they remarry; the very Church they would wed in would get some good moves. Just my opinion...I'm not even in England. Over here in the US of A the Church has become a supine memorial figure languishing atop the tomb it will soon be interred in...JMO!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
The Church of England could use some increased popularity. If the royals patronize it by having weddings instead of long living-togethers, the C of E might go up a few notches in respect by the people. Do you realize what the percentage of those attending C of E services is? I believe it's in the single digits, low single digits. The people are probably irritated with its mamby pamby view on such things as long livings-together rather than marriage. The C of E used to be so strict it would not marry ANY divorced couple (if there were annulments I am not aware of them, but they may have occurred). Some great English novels are based on the tension of lovers not able to marry because of the C of E's strict attitude toward divorce; this has even figured prominently in Downton Abbey. I am NOT (heaven's no) encouraging a return to former stern rules, just saying the average bear would like some sort of standards?
So the D and D of York would not be the only ones getting some neat publicity if they remarry; the very Church they would wed in would get some good moves. Just my opinion...I'm not even in England. Over here in the US of A the Church has become a supine memorial figure languishing atop the tomb it will soon be interred in...JMO!
You are so right. Time to move on. Anne remarried in Scotland and then they had the temerity to bless Charles and Camilla's marriage. Either yes or no. So much hypocrisy on their part.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I agree it's worth noting that "Majesty" is far from a gossip magazine.
I'm not reading too much into comments from Sarah's spokesperson either way. I think even IF the rumours are true, a lot would have to be sorted behind the scenes before they could confirm anything officially.
If as someone suggested they were testing to see what media/public reaction would be to a reunion, I think they would have been surprised by the amount of goodwill expressed. What has me curious is the report of them spending much of the winter in Verbier. What was all that about?
They like to keep us guessing, and I don't think they will put us in the picture any time soon.
No, didn't the original article come from Richard Eden at The Telegraph? That's where I first saw it, anyway.

I think that the article arose from media speculation after Sarah's visit to Balmoral. Probably some journalists telephoned "friends" of the Yorks to find out was going on. Then what started out as a rumour was fanned into flame and printed everywhere as "fact". My parents actually heard on the radio (here in Canada) that Andrew and Sarah were getting remarried.

It's pretty interesting to see all the public support for a remarriage, though. I think Andrew and Sarah would actually have more support if they remarried than Charles and Camilla did.

Interesting point about the Church of England, too. A remarriage would be a boost for the monarchy (possibly...if done the right way...) and a boost for the church. Remarriages of divorced people don't happen very much at all...and divorce is all-too common.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
The Church of England could use some increased popularity. If the royals patronize it by having weddings instead of long living-togethers, the C of E might go up a few notches in respect by the people. Do you realize what the percentage of those attending C of E services is? I believe it's in the single digits, low single digits. !
Why is that so hard to understand. The same can be said about most Christian religions in the UK and in other parts of Europe and likely in other parts of the world as well. It has nothing to do with the marriage or remarriage of princes. We are an increasingly secular society. Even those who call themselves believers mostly use churchs for weddings, christenings, funerals and perhaps Christmas and Easter services but on a weekly basis there are not that many bums on the pews on a Sunday. Thousands of churchs ( including 3 in my neighbourhood, 2 RC and 1 Baptist) have become apartments, nightclubs, shops and community centres because that is a better use for them and of course because the churches could use the money from the sales because collections are down.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Serene Highness

You are right, NGalitzine about church attendance being down in the liturgical denominations. But it is related to the marriage and remarriage of princes, because the monarch in Britain is the head of the Church. The Queen in some ways is superior even to the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Church. And that promise which the monarch makes at crowning promises to support this very Church, specifically the C of E (if I remember other posts on other threads correctly). You understand I'm not fandom for the C of E in particular among the Christian denominations; it has its pro's and con's. Just saying the Sovereign is its Head.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

The people do not look at HM as a religious leader, and the marriages, divorces and remarriages of her children have little to no influence on the people. It might have been more accurate to say that the BRF merely caught up to the general population when it comes to divorce and remarriage.
If your view accurately reflects British society what explanation do you have for a similar drop in attendance at religious services on the continent or in Canada or other western nations and not just amongst members of the Anglican communion? The simple fact of the matter is that western societies have become very secular, there are fewer believers and even those believers are not in weekly attendance at their local church which is why many of their local churchs are no longer still churchs. These changes in church attendance started long before HMs children started getting married and certainly before anyone was getting remarried and before the CofE began to change its position on remarriage of divorced persons.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
No, didn't the original article come from Richard Eden at The Telegraph? That's where I first saw it, anyway.

I think that the article arose from media speculation after Sarah's visit to Balmoral. Probably some journalists telephoned "friends" of the Yorks to find out was going on. Then what started out as a rumour was fanned into flame and printed everywhere as "fact". My parents actually heard on the radio (here in Canada) that Andrew and Sarah were getting remarried.

It's pretty interesting to see all the public support for a remarriage, though. I think Andrew and Sarah would actually have more support if they remarried than Charles and Camilla did.

Interesting point about the Church of England, too. A remarriage would be a boost for the monarchy (possibly...if done the right way...) and a boost for the church. Remarriages of divorced people don't happen very much at all...and divorce is all-too common.
I was responding to Mermaid1962. She mentioned the magazine and seems to be sure it came from there first. Either way the writer for majesty has tweeted that there is some substance to the story. In replying to another tweet he says there is more to the story than meets the eye but nothing will happen for some time.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I was responding to Mermaid1962. She mentioned the magazine and seems to be sure it came from there first. Either way the writer for majesty has tweeted that there is some substance to the story. In replying to another tweet he says there is more to the story than meets the eye but nothing will happen for some time.
Hm, yes, I have just seen that tweet! Intriguing. You wonder what "inside info" he has. Maybe he knows the "source" for the story.

I think it's natural for people in Andrew and Sarah's circle to speculate on a remarriage, though, if it's true that they were in Verbier together for the whole ski season. It's starting to sound stranger with every year when they say that they are only being "joint parents to their girls." I know people always need their parents, but not in the sense that Andrew and Sarah seem to imply. Eugenie is moving away to New York next month, and Beatrice seems to have an independent life.

Edited to add: I've just been on Bonnie Brownlee's Twitter (she's CBC's royal correspondent). Earlier in August, she tweeted that she had just returned from Princess Beatrice's birthday party in London - she calls it a "wonderful evening with a lovely family." It looks like she traveled to London specifically for the party, because earlier she tells others that she will be in London "on Friday afternoon." A couple weeks later, she calls Sarah and Andrew "her good friends" and that she "loves all the stories coming out about them." Interesting that she is not questioning the stories, and that she just saw the York family this month.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
You are so right. Time to move on. Anne remarried in Scotland and then they had the temerity to bless Charles and Camilla's marriage. Either yes or no. So much hypocrisy on their part.
Might it just be that the thinking in society at large, and more specifically, the CoE had moved on between 1992 when Anne remarried, and 2005 when Charles and Camilla married?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I would be surprised if Andrew and Sarah remarried. They can be a couple, live together (as they do!), she can accompany him on some family events and some of the lower profile engagements. If they remarry, she will have to choose between the jet set life she has led (Elton, Naomi Campbell, David Tang) for the mundane and hard working life of a relatively minor royal. Would she be prepared to make that sacrifice? Is she not better off continuing with the way things are, and enjoying the best of both worlds. At the moment, there are no expectations of her, no work responsibilities, and she is not answerable to anybody (other than herself, her daughters, and Andrew).
completely agree. there is no reason for andrew & sarah to remarry at this stage. i can imagine to do it when charles is king, andrew will fade away from the public view and they remarry in older age for financial security reasons.

these days i rather think there is an engagement for the daughters on the card.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Serene Highness

In the eyes of the C of E they are still married as it dosn't recognise divorce so it wouldn't have to marry them again. A register office is all they would need to make it legal. Charles had to marry Camilla in a register office because the church couldn't do it because in their eyes she is still married to het first husband so only a blessing was given in St George's that day not a wedding ceremony.

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york