The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq View Post
I am sorry that you and others think that my post is harsh. I believe in second chances; third and fourth a matter of fact. But Sarah has constantly done things that shone quite negative light on her husband's family. The fact that she constantly clings to her daughters for "celebrity" functions is quite sickening. And when she sold access to her husband for a percentage, that was the last straw for me. She is a leech!

It has always been obvious that Andrew is madly in love with her, and as I stated, I always thought that they would remarry, especially after Charles married Camilla. But Sarah is a user and Andrew is her main enabler.

My opinion.
Andrew has not led a blameless public life. He did not leave his post as international trade and finance rep without taint or tantrum. His official web pages took about a year update his position. How odd to not acknowledge reality for that time. But just my opinion.
His contribution in that role is debated; he certainly seemed to pick and choose where he put his time. His focus, in my opinion, was in what he could get from other countries and not on what the UK could be doing to give a hand up to others. It stood in stark contrast to the focus of the rest of the family's public role. It is also in in contrast to promoting the bond with poorer countries in order to stimulate their economies and trade.
We don't know, because we don't see behind closed doors, but Andrew seems to not be the family member who steps up and fills in when another of the family has some emergency. He does not do as much of the official opening or tour the provinces work as the rest of the family. Public receiving lines seem to not be his cup of tea. I'm not dismissing what he does - I just think he cherry picks his work more than the Kents, Glostesters, Wessexes and Anne.
In any case - I wish him well. I wish her well. Love is a wonderful thing.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Serene Highness

The DofE must be having a conniption!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Sometimes a divorce just doesn't work out. Perhaps they should have tried a trial divorce first? Perhaps the reasons for a divorce were not strong enough to hold a divorce together? Perhaps instead of moving on with their lives they just couldn't start thinking of themselves only and its a family atmosphere that is destroying the divorce? We really don't know. Perhaps the Queen will decide that the only solution for their situation is to marry and put to an end the happiest divorce in the world. Only time will tell.

Whatever happens, I wish Andrew and Sarah the best.
My understanding from reading between the lines and Sarah's own books and interviews is this...Sarah initially pushed hard for an official separation from Andrew. She felt alone and under siege within the BRF when Andrew was in the Navy. Saw very little of him. They grew apart. She and Diana agreed to leave together. Sarah left first, Diana waited.

As much as I liked Diana, I always felt she could sometimes be a little mean and manipulative. She saw the Court and the public turn on Sarah like wolves and chose her own exit much more carefully and strategically. Sarah-being more impulsive and less cunning-never did have Diana's instinct for self-preservation.

Sarah played right into the hands of her enemies at Court and her detractors once she was outside the protection of the BRF. Once the photos with her and Steve Wyatt and later with John Bryant became public, the drumbeat for she and Andrew to divorce became like a runaway train. Neither of them really wanted a divorce, but after the "toe-sucking" fiasco Sarah was dead in the water and on the verge of a breakdown. All the fight was gone, and when the DoE demanded a divorce she agreed quickly. She believed she would receive a comfortable financial settlement which is far from what she got. It was shockingly small.

In some ways the BRF cut off their own nose by turning Sarah out with a small settlement because she was then forced to go out and make a living in sometimes rather embarrassing commercial ventures, which embarrassed and appalled them.

Left on their own without any outside interference during their trial separation, Andrew and Sarah might never have divorced.

Both-Sarah in particular-indicated on more than one occasion that the divorce was a mere "piece of paper" and that their family would continue on intact.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

While I hope this story is not true, if BP does annlounce their remarriage I hope they also announce that Andrew is giving up all public positions, patronages and presidencies and that the couple will not undertake any public engagements on behalf of the monarch but will live a life of quiet retirement. Even better if they were to announce that Andrew and Sarah had decided to live abroad and would only appear in Britain for family weddings and funerals.
I cannot imagine any circumstances under which I would welcome Sarah Ferguson back as a member of the royal family. Nothing she has said or done since 1992 leads me to believe her behaviour as a royal would benefit the monarchy. IMO allowing that woman back as a HRH and working member of the family would be a very black day for the monarchy.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Majesty

I think we must point out that a great deal of this is pretty much speculation. We don't know if Andrew & Sarah will get re-married or not.

I personally think if they decided to reunite as husband and wife officially, good for them. If not, then that may be they way they wanted it and works for them. I think they should be allowed to be happy as everyone else.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Listen, none of these folks are without fault. Diana had incredible cunning, but died in an awfully tragic way because she wanted and needed to be adored and finally found someone who was willing to do that in return for some trophy-boyfriend status (which, IMHO, he certainly didn't need ... whatever!) You have Charles, heir to the throne, on tape clearly stating that he wouldn't mind being a tampon for his mistress. You have Camilla who was a long-standing mistress. You have Harry who is shown in a photo skinny dipping in Las Vegas.

I think we're a little beyond pointing a finger at "who can be the biggest embarrassment" ...

I say let's give Andrew and Sarah another "legal" shot at what is most likely still a marriage and love match.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Bravo suztav!

I like Charles, but that "tampon tape" was the nadir of embarrassment. I read the entire transcript. At least Andrew was never heir to the Throne!

Let's face it-for all their prestige the BRF have done their share of embarrassing themselves-some of it B.F.(before Fergie)

I don't like the idea of making her-and by extension Andrew-scapegoats for all the others.

Leave them alone. It's no one's business IF they decide to reunite their family.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
While I hope this story is not true, if BP does annlounce their remarriage I hope they also announce that Andrew is giving up all public positions, patronages and presidencies and that the couple will not undertake any public engagements on behalf of the monarch but will live a life of quiet retirement. Even better if they were to announce that Andrew and Sarah had decided to live abroad and would only appear in Britain for family weddings and funerals.
I cannot imagine any circumstances under which I would welcome Sarah Ferguson back as a member of the royal family. Nothing she has said or done since 1992 leads me to believe her behaviour as a royal would benefit the monarchy. IMO allowing that woman back as a HRH and working member of the family would be a very black day for the monarchy.
Overreaction much.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

Andrew is not the heir to the throne and while Sarah has had her share of scandals, they are nothing compared to Camilla's. They have always been a family and behind closed doors, probably a couple too.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
while Sarah has had her share of scandals, they are nothing compared to Camilla's.
Here we are.

It's a matter of point of view hum.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Listen, none of these folks are without fault. Diana had incredible cunning, but died in an awfully tragic way because she wanted and needed to be adored and finally found someone who was willing to do that in return for some trophy-boyfriend status (which, IMHO, he certainly didn't need ... whatever!) You have Charles, heir to the throne, on tape clearly stating that he wouldn't mind being a tampon for his mistress. You have Camilla who was a long-standing mistress. You have Harry who is shown in a photo skinny dipping in Las Vegas.

I think we're a little beyond pointing a finger at "who can be the biggest embarrassment" ...

I say let's give Andrew and Sarah another "legal" shot at what is most likely still a marriage and love match.
Good Post Suztab. I have to agree
The Royal Family is not perfect and they all have their faults and all have made some mistakes and some have things to embarrass the Family. That what make them more Likeable In my opinion, They are all Humans like the rest of us and like any family they have their fair share of faults, Mistakes and Problems. They are not perfect. Royals going back many Centuries have all made mistakes or done things that embarrass the Royal Family and had some faults.

The only difference is that they are in the spotlight.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Serene Highness

The Daily Mail's royal correspondent posted this on Twitter today. So...was the Telegraph story just a slow news day, or is there something more to it that Sarah's spokesman is denying?

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail 6h
The fact they still live together intrigues people but friends say they've always got on brilliantly & just want to do best for their girls
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Friends who've seen her recently say it's not the case,while her spokesman tells me: There's no truth in it at all. They are best of friends
Expand
Much as I would love the story claiming @SarahTheDuchess and @TheDukeOfYork are back together again, I am as sure as I can be it's not true
Old 08-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose the only question I have is that if it's true that the Duke and Duchess of York have basically continued to live as man and wife for much of the time since their divorce almost 20 years ago...why change things now?

I could see the point of remarriage if their children were still small. Now?

Not so much. Why not just keep things as they are if they are both content? Surely they must both realize the headaches, the awkwardness that they are both in for as a remarried couple within the BRF.....
Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

So many royals over the years have been poster children for bad behavior and there's no reason to single Sarah out from the group as the black sheep whose actions are totally irreparable and unforgivable who must be forever punished. As two consenting adults, if both Andrew and Sarah have reached a stage where they find that life is better with each other than without, and want to make their relationship legal, good for them. There is a lot that binds them together, and I'd say their relationship after the divorce has withstood the passage of time. If they can rekindle their marriage again with the wisdom of years and the same level of care, maturity and responsibility that they imparted to the excellent upbringing of their children, I'd say there's a very good chance that they'll succeed. I'm sure whatever their future roles and functions are in the royal family can be ironed out and well looked at if any marriage does take place.

And there's always that sweet saying to abide by: "Love is lovelier the second time around."
Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
And there's always that sweet saying to abide by: "Love is lovelier the second time around."
Sure, and hopefully Sarah will find that with some rich American who will sweep her off her feet and bring her back to live with him in America where she is much more popular and acceptable than she is in her homeland.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^Well, she's certainly made the attempt over the years and hasn't found anyone else by this time, so I think chances are she's meant to be with Andrew and vice versa.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

From my perspective, it is well if divorced couples see their way to remarriage. Not that I counsel quick plunging into a remarriage, but they have thought about it for how many years? The Queen, as head of the C of E, should support that decision unless she knows more about it than we do. The D of E is not head of the Church of England, and his animosity is not worth considering. We are not privy to what kind of counseling they have received. I hope it is really good counseling if they are to embark on a new relationship. To think this would embarrass the RF is not correct. It is an embarrassment that they are NOT rewed under the circumstances. In older, more strictly moral days, they would HAVE to remarry if they live in the same "building".
Old 08-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Aristocracy

Rebecca English's Twitter disputing the story (a story her own newspaper, The Daily Mail has published in chorus with the rest of the British media) doesn't sway my speculation, rather it confirms the brilliant assertion that this story (and the previous Balmoral ones) were testing the waters from a PR standpoint.

For one thing, her claim that Sarah's spokespeople have denied it appears to be off the record since they declined to comment on the Telegraph Mandrake story. If this story really wasn't accurate we'd be seeing swift denials from one or both of them. And we're not.

I really hope all of this speculation turns out to be accurate. I would love a comeback.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

As long as she does not become a working member of the BRF and he gives up all his public positions as a member of the BRF they can go ahead and marry, but my personal belief is that she is the same person she was in 1986 and in 1992 and has not changed at all or learned anything from her past except to expect Andrew and friends to always be there to bail her out. I do not want her back as an official HRH working member of the family and would lose some respect for the family if they allowed it to happen.
If she is content to be kept by Andrew and to keep her mouth shut I see no reason for her not to continue as they are, although I do wish she were seen less often in public with her daughters or her ex husband because I do believe that damages their images.
If she ever did really want to make an independent life for herself she should have stayed in the US where she seems to still have some measure of popularity and acceptance.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it would be amazing to see this couple back together having overcome all of the past ugliness.

And I'd wager people would get over it and get used to it, just as they have with the Duchess of Cornwall, who has proven to be an asset to the family.

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york