The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Eugenie* View Post
I think that goes only for William/ Harry. Hardly anyone in Germany knows who they are. I don'T know a single person who knows who they are. If you talk about Princess Beatrice or Eugenie, the next sentence is usually: The queens granddaughter or Prince Andrews daughter or something like that. (Or in Beatrices case: Williams cousin with the crazy hat) They hardly get any press coverage here and when they do its usually made up storys in some "Klatschblatt".

I am really curious to see how the event will go and how much coverage it will get in Germany. I think its great that they get to do it. It sounds like a fun way to represent Britain. (I would love to drivve that mini :) )
I did not say Germany loves the York girls - not yet... One has to start somewhere and doing such a trip to promote Britain is a good one. Plus I believe it will be interesting for both of them to visit Berlin and Hannover. They are both university graduates - surely they are not only interested in fashion?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
They're related distantly, but there is no mention of them meeting the couple or EA on his own as the couple have been separated for a while.
As they are attending the reopening of the rebuild Herrenhausen Castle i think it is possible that Prince Ernst August jr. attends.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

What Bea and Eugenie need is a dollop of Aunt Anne's tough love... | Mail Online

Anne's tough love, Peter and Zara might not have titles but I'm sure Grannies money has come into their lives at some point. Peter was fired from RBS last year I believe, he now runs his own company in London apparently. Zara lives with her parents, which I have no issue just a mention. Comparing titled and non titled children makes little sense to me.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

What leads you to suggest that Peter was 'fired' from RBS? I had personal experience of working in corporate markets for that bank and I certainly heard nothing about his being sacked. He was working in the bank's corporate sponsorship division, which included their Formula 1 activities as main sponsor for the Williams F1 team. Given that the bank almost went bust, almost all their sponsorship agreements have been massively scaled back, except for the 6 Nations rugby.

Peter will have known that his role was under threat and, from what I understand, chose to walk before the cuts were actioned.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've only ever heard that he was fired/ chose 'early retirement' as it were. An article was posted somewhere in the Phillips thread I'll go find it.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Commoner

I don't think Peter actually owns his own company. He is the managing director of SEL UK, the UK arm of SEL LTD. The company is actually Australian. According to their own website, in addition to managing Zara and Mark Phillips, they also manage the Magic Millions race which Zara has been promoting.

Examiner

The headline is a little bit misleading.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

That DM article is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, even by the standards if the "newspaper" in question - negative for negativity's sake and full of logical inconsistancies.

The writer admits that the Princesses are seen as "polite, good-humoured and unpretentious", mentions that they both have jobs, and then compares them unfavourably to Anne's children, whilst claiming they are only known for skiing, clubbing and hats.

No mention, of course, of the York girls' degree results (you don't get a 2:1 without working hard), or the feats that they have achieved to raise money for charity (Beatrice climbing Mont Blanc and doing the marathon, Eugenie doing the Nightrider bike event). And of course no mention of Bea's involvement with the Teenage Cancer Trust or Eugenie's visits to kids suffering spinal problems.

And Andrew is supposedly obsessed with his family's status, and yet paid himself for an ECONOMY class trip - if he was that obsessed, surely he'd insist on first class, paid for by the government. This whole thing just shows that the York sisters can't win with some sections of he UK media no matter what they do! They have been exemplary members of the BRF for some years, achieving plenty and being great representatives of their family and country, but get no credit or respect for this.

On the trip itself, I'm thrilled for them that they've been asked to do this. That the PM apparently felt they would do a good job is a great string to their bows. I think Beatrice and Eugenie have their mother's skill of being able to interact with the public (their father being a little stiffer and more reserved), and I think that, given a chance, they could be huge assets to the RF and the nation. I hope this trip will be a step on the way towards proving that to people!
http://duchessofyork.webeden.co.uk/
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with much of what you say, FergieFan. Unfortunately for the Yorks, the media basically decide on an 'angle' with public persons and put them in a certain box from which they can never really escape. Andrew and Sarah, and now their daughters, have been firmly placed in the 'lazy, pretentious, grasping for any and all taxpayers' money they can get their hands on' box. It's very unfair, but when the media decide on a settled 'narrative' it almost never changes.

The Queen is dutiful, Philip is politically incorrect, Charles is spoiled, Camilla was the mistress, Diana was a saint, Harry is a party animal, etc. etc. etc. They've all been pigeon-holed to a greater or lesser extent and, in all honesty, there's not a lot they can do about it. It's wrong, but it's just the way it is.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

While the DM article is typically nasty, I was surprised at the top-rated comments at the end of it; most of them are not negative towards Beatrice and Eugenie which is a small miracle in itself.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I agree with much of what you say, FergieFan. Unfortunately for the Yorks, the media basically decide on an 'angle' with public persons and put them in a certain box from which they can never really escape. Andrew and Sarah, and now their daughters, have been firmly placed in the 'lazy, pretentious, grasping for any and all taxpayers' money they can get their hands on' box. It's very unfair, but when the media decide on a settled 'narrative' it almost never changes.

The Queen is dutiful, Philip is politically incorrect, Charles is spoiled, Camilla was the mistress, Diana was a saint, Harry is a party animal, etc. etc. etc. They've all been pigeon-holed to a greater or lesser extent and, in all honesty, there's not a lot they can do about it. It's wrong, but it's just the way it is.
I agree. The Yorks are good people but the press pretty much dance on their tonsils every chance they get and that's sad. The royals get a lot of unfair treatment.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Having said that, Andrew and Sarah certainly haven't done themselves any favours at times. Sarah's dealings with the 'Fake Sheik' and Andrew's friendships with convicted sex offenders being the most obvious in recent years. Incredibly ill-judged on both their parts.

To me, it's just unfair that their daughters are having to live with some of the backlash for which they were not responsible.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Having said that, Andrew and Sarah certainly haven't done themselves any favours at times. Sarah's dealings with the 'Fake Sheik' and Andrew's friendships with convicted sex offenders being the most obvious in recent years. Incredibly ill-judged on both their parts.

To me, it's just unfair that their daughters are having to live with some of the backlash for which they were not responsible.
I was going to say the same things.
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why Beatrice and Eugenie are blacklisted without using the word "Sarah".
Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:

I agree. Sarah and Andrew have done some questionable things, but that has nothing to do with their children. Beatrice and Eugenie seem lovely and I think they can be a real asset to the BRF. Hopefully we'll see them take on more royal duties.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Much as I like both girls, their outfits at William's wedding were pretty absurd and turned them into objects of ridicule around the world. Beatrice did try and work the attention to her advantage by auctioning her hat for charity, but I don't think they realised how their choice of outfits on that particular day would be hung round their necks for the forseeable.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Much as I like both girls, their outfits at William's wedding were pretty absurd and turned them into objects of ridicule around the world. Beatrice did try and work the attention to her advantage by auctioning her hat for charity, but I don't think they realised how their choice of outfits on that particular day would be hung round their necks for the forseeable.
I don't even remember what they wore and I watched that ceremony from start to finish. Fashion can be improved.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Majesty

I also didn't pay attention to what Beatrice & Eugenie was wearing at the wedding. I thought they looked pretty normal after looking back the videos and pictures. I'm from the south, I have seen church ladies wear hats that will leave you puzzled. I know the British ladies are also known to wear huge hats.

No doubt, Andrew & Sarah have made their share of bad mistakes but the criticism towards their family remain over the top, IMO.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
While the DM article is typically nasty, I was surprised at the top-rated comments at the end of it; most of them are not negative towards Beatrice and Eugenie which is a small miracle in itself.
Artemisia - that article was like watching a tennis match - a slam, than a defensive volley, then another slam. But now that I think about it, I think if I were Bea or Eugenie, the best thing I could do to help me navigate the next decade would be to go to The Princess Royal, or to Zara even and ask "What should I do - help me find my path in life." I think the advice would be realistic and reasonable. That said...
I don't think the public thinks the York girls are complete moochers; I do think a lot of people noticed that the girls have lobbied for royal jobs and have been cut off in that pursuit. But I also think they are seen as good girls, generally.
Just from actions, it seems the girls mum and dad are pushing for more. And they seem to be meeting resistance. And I think a lot of people believe the Queen has learned (through her own generous actions that came back to bite her) to make sure the "firm" is not too large or filled with people that find appearing before a crowd of 45 in a small town to place a plaque as a fate worse than death. .
I also think most people perceive that Charles does not support Bea and Eugenie for a role in the firm. The public also has not seen a collegial image or read of a collegial interaction between Andrew and Charles in a long time.
It appears from the outside to be a mess. I'm just sorry that Bea and Eugenie are caught up in it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Artemisia - that article was like watching a tennis match - a slam, than a defensive volley, then another slam.
I don't think the public thinks the York girls are complete moochers; I do think a lot of people noticed that the girls have lobbied for royal jobs and have been cut off in that pursuit. But I also think they are seen as good girls, generally.
Just from actions, it seems the girls mum and dad are pushing for more. And they seem to be meeting resistance. And I think a lot of people believe the Queen has learned (through her own generous actions that came back to bite her) to make sure the "firm" is not too large or filled with people that find appearing before a crowd of 45 in a small town to place a plaque as a fate worse than death. .
I also think most people perceive that Charles does not support Bea and Eugenie for a role in the firm. The public also has not seen a collegial image or read of a collegial interaction between Andrew and Charles in a long time.
It appears from the outside to be a mess. I'm just sorry that Bea and Eugenie are caught up in it.
I agree with both you and Artermesia that this is the DM damning the girls with faint praise. But I find what you have written interesting.

1. "lobbying" - this is pure speculation by the press - there is no evidence. If I've missed the evidence (other than heresay) then please point me that way. But also no evidence that they didn't - I accept that. But Beatrice is working full time and Eugenie is also working so I have opted towards speculation

2. "Pushing" - again speculation, heresay, let's make up a story ....... no evidence. If Andrew really wanted this he could have brought them with him on visits for the past 10 years - its how Anne learnt the ropes. But he didn't so I'm thinking speculation.

3. "unveiling a plaque" - I'm sorry but what is this referring to? I've not been a member on this site for a very long time so might have missed something.

4. "Charles not supporting" Speculation and heresay by the press. No evidence, as there is no evidence anywhere that Charles wants a smaller BRF.

5. Very true but don't just concentrate on Charles and Andrew. It applies across all of the siblings. I think I've worked out why. Charles away at boarding school, then military including a longish stint in the navy, captaining a ship so limited interaction while younger boys growing up; Anne got married and did 3 day eventing which consumed all the available time outside of royal duties. The 2 younger boys are a lot younger, so different interests. Then Andrew away in the Navy. What chance did they have??

Because of all of this history its easy for the media to talk about falling out, disagreeing etc. They could do something about it if there was something critically important to the royal family to resolve or if it was true. I just think that it is athe natural outcome that they have little in common and have led separate lives.

I also agree with what has been said that these 2 girls do not deserve the bad press they get. And Andrew and Sarah deserve credit for bringing them up so well.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I was going to say the same things.
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why Beatrice and Eugenie are blacklisted without using the word "Sarah".

But it's impossible to get away from her.

If she would keep her distance when her daughters attend public events, it would be fine.
But many people perceive Fergie as clinging to her girls like a limpet, using them to attempt to wedge her way back into the RF (many of which loathe her and want nothing to do with her). I think it's a bit odd myself- how many fifty-something women go clubbing with their twenty-something daughters?

You can't tell me this doesn't impact on the York girls. It may be unfair, but it's the way of the world. (Harry is said to be close to his cousins, but when he was at the same Olympic event when they were there with Fergie, he was careful not to even acknowledge them).

Unfair? Maybe, but there it is!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But it's impossible to get away from her.

If she would keep her distance when her daughters attend public events, it would be fine.
But many people perceive Fergie as clinging to her girls like a limpet, using them to attempt to wedge her way back into the RF (many of which loathe her and want nothing to do with her). I think it's a bit odd myself- how many fifty-something women go clubbing with their twenty-something daughters?

You can't tell me this doesn't impact on the York girls. It may be unfair, but it's the way of the world. (Harry is said to be close to his cousins, but when he was at the same Olympic event when they were there with Fergie, he was careful not to even acknowledge them).

Unfair? Maybe, but there it is!
I think the York's have their girls night out when they can. I don't think it's about Sarah trying to hang with the younger crowd or being clingy. Everynow and then you see Andrew join them at a club or restaurant. They are a family that enjoy going out together, nothing wrong with that.

From what I remember, Harry did wave to Beatrice & Eugenie at the Olympic game.

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york