The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I think it's in bad taste for royals to get any sort of "kick back" from businesses. That is something expected of celebrities, and wanna-be celebrities, not royalty. IMO royalty should be above that. If they like a certain brand of car (or anything else for that matter) they should go out and purchase it; not take it because they are getting some sort of major deal for being seen in it, wearing it, etc. I think that only enhances their "celebrity" status, and the world is already overstocked in celebrity.
But where exactly does it say that there is a 'kick back'. Beatrice and Eugenie's cars are leased so are the cars of other royals. Few of them actually buy a car outright, the cars are leased and then traded up to newer models when they become available. (this is for their 'everyday cars' not the official cars) The price of the lease would include the amount of cars that are leased, not just Beatrice and Eugenie have Range Rovers in the Royal Family! Even the Duke of Edinburgh drives one.

The article is a manipulative one designed as a 'negative' story to provoke a series of 'outrage' responses.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Majesty

Lovely post Charlotte1.

Too often people don't actually understand that way things work and take the negative out of articles simply because they have been attuned to see the negative.

Royals have been doing this sort of thing for decades (in fact less of the 'kick back' in this reign than in earlier reigns but now even when what they are doing is normal business practice they are criticised.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
But where exactly does it say that there is a 'kick back'. Beatrice and Eugenie's cars are leased so are the cars of other royals. Few of them actually buy a car outright, the cars are leased and then traded up to newer models when they become available. (this is for their 'everyday cars' not the official cars) The price of the lease would include the amount of cars that are leased, not just Beatrice and Eugenie have Range Rovers in the Royal Family! Even the Duke of Edinburgh drives one.

The article is a manipulative one designed as a 'negative' story to provoke a series of 'outrage' responses.
I was led to believe, not just from the article but from various posts in this thread, that the royals, and not just Beatrice and Eugenie, received special treatment from auto dealers (i.e., discounts on purchases and/or leases in exchange for being seen in their vehicles). If that is true, that is a kick back. It means they are getting preferential treatment because of what they can offer a car dealership based on who they are. It doesn't matter if the car is bought or leased. If they are getting a special deal on something because they are royals, and thus they can "do something" for the car dealershp, that puts them into "celebrity sellout" category, imo. And I think that's snarky. It doesn't matter if it's been going on forever or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Lovely post Charlotte1.

Too often people don't actually understand that way things work and take the negative out of articles simply because they have been attuned to see the negative.

Royals have been doing this sort of thing for decades (in fact less of the 'kick back' in this reign than in earlier reigns but now even when what they are doing is normal business practice they are criticised.
Please explain to me how these things work. I see it as follows, and please correct me if I'm wrong: A business, whether it be a car dealer, clothier, jeweler, etc. has a product they want PR on in order to increase sales of said item. One of the best, and yes most practiced ways of doing this is to have someone of notoriety (athlete, musician, actor, etc.) get these items free of charge or at a very very discounted price in exchange for being seen with the item. True, it does happen all the time, mainly in Hollywood where actresses are given or loaned fantastic gowns or jewels to be seen in. I'm not saying it's not happening and that it might be perfectly acceptable busiiness practices. My comment was that, while I think it's fine - and expected - of actresses, musicians, athletes, etc., I think it's in bad taste for royalty to be doing that. If that is not the case, I stand corrected. This has nothing to do with negativity, I'm on this site because I LIKE the royals.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Majesty

This has been happening for centuries with royals. The movie stars, sports stars etc got on the bandwagon somewhat late in the piece.

They get the items for a reduced cost because they provide free advertisements for the company.

The royals have been the major celebrities in the world for most of history. It is a more recent phenomenon to have non-royals as celebrities - raising them to the same status as royals.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Aristocracy

Of course, it could also be nothing more than the royals getting a "fleet" discount due to the numbers of cars leased - a "group rate" as it were. Between the royals themselves and all the staff and estate vehicles that comes to a lot of cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Sarah, Duchess of York and Princess Beatrice of York spent an evening at Harry's restaurant
in London on March 5, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** pp gallery: Princesse Beatrice d'York : Pause avec sa mère Fergie dans sa recherche d'emploi **
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Of course, it could also be nothing more than the royals getting a "fleet" discount due to the numbers of cars leased - a "group rate" as it were. Between the royals themselves and all the staff and estate vehicles that comes to a lot of cars.
I agree completely with you. The BRF buy/lease a large number of cars, for use not just by the family but by courtiers and for use on the estates. Given the volume and regularity of their purchases, they are entitled to a discounted price, just like most corporate fleets do. This has nothing to do with a PR angle, just good sourcing.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Sarah Ferguson and daughter Princess Beatrice enjoyed a girls' night out as they left Harry's Bar in Mayfair, London.
Sarah Ferguson Leaves Harry's Bar in London 2 - Pictures - Zimbio

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/lTle2...rry+Bar+London
Old 03-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Aristocracy

Look at Sarah's shoes!

sarah-ferguson-duchess-of-york-leaving-harry-s-bar-london-britain-05-mar-201-881214 - Foto's, pers en stockbeelden, Videos - Photos de presse, banque d'images et Vidéos : Isopix.be
Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

LOVEIT!

I do feel sorry for the girls, I have the odd feeling that when the girls are planning to go out they get an awkward call from their mother who proceeds to guilt trip them into letting her come.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Courtier

Those are some shoes! I guess she doesn't want the girls borrowing them. She really shouldn't wear such short dresses that shot of her in the car is less then flattering.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Courtier

More likely that she is having some problem that prevents her from wearing heels.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Don't know about the shoes but I think she is too old to wear a dress that short.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 AM
Serene Highness

I loved the caption (if she forgets who she is, she need only look down at her shoes...)
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Courtier

When you reach the age where you need to wear «comfortable» shoes you are too old to wear a dress that short, and may I add, too old to hang out in hip places with the young crowd!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop View Post
When you reach the age where you need to wear «comfortable» shoes you are too old to wear a dress that short, and may I add, too old to hang out in hip places with the young crowd!
Amen to that!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Sarah, Duchess of York, Princess Beatrice and Dave Clark attended a private party
at the Downtown Mayfair restaurant, London on March 13, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Sarah, Duchess of York, Princess Eugenie and boyfriend Jack Brooksbank attended the Paul McCartney
Teenage Cancer Trust charity concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London on March 29, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** lehtikuva.fi gallery **

** hellomagazine: He loves you, yeah, yeah: Eugenie's boyfriend accompanies his Princess.. **

** dailymail: It's only rock 'n' roll but I like it: Student Eugenie reunited with long-distance love..**
Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Angry Prince Andrew has to pay for three former police bodyguards to protect daughters Bea and Eugenie
Quote:
The Duke of York will now fork out at least £250,000 a year to provide *security for the royal princesses.
Prince Andrew has been forced to rehire his daughters’ bodyguards out of his own pocket after losing a long fight to keep royal protection for them. The Duke of York will now fork out at least £250,000 a year to provide *security for Princess Beatrice, 23, who has lost her Scotland Yard bodyguards. Sister Eugenie, 22, will lose her official guards when she finishes her degree at Newcastle University this year. *Andrew’s annual bill could then double to £500,000.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Courtier

It isn't a huge shock it's been the cards for sometime. Beatrice and Eugenie are not going to be working Royals so it is hard to justify that much protection for them. Peter and Zara don't have bodyguards and get along just fine without them they both have careers and appear at Royal Events like the Trooping of the Colour etc just like the girls do. Beatrice lives at St James Palace so she has more security then some people do there and chances are Eugenie will get a similar type apartment from her Grandmother. If Andrew wants to pay then it's up to him.

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york