The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
Do we know if Fergie actually attended the wedding? Everything seems to have gone rather 'quiet' in Fergie's corner recently if the Press is anything to go by [which, I concede, it often isn't!!]

I know that we often see that Fergie is a 'jolly good friend' of Richard Branson, but I got the distinct impression that the wedding guests were mostly from the bride and bridgeroom's generation?

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks, Alex
I was just wondering the same thing Diarist.
I just flicked through Hello magazine and their exclusive feature on the wedding. There is no sign of Sarah in any of the photos. There are a few pics of the girls (with the bride and groom, with other guests, one of Beatrice and Dave etc). There is also an aerial pic of the guests looking towards the sky (I could pick out Beatrice + Dave and Eugenie but didn't spot Sarah). I assume she would have been seated in the same area as them. There is a sentence in the article; "the Royal Family were represented by Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie".
We know Sarah wouldn't be representing the RF, but the media isn't too fussy with such technicalities when it comes to Sarah, and would usually mention her in such a sentence. The wedding reception pics are in next weeks isssue, maybe we will see Sarah then.

Happy New Year Alex to you and your family.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Thank you so much for your kind wishes, Irish eyes, which of course I reciprocate.

Many thanks as well for your information about the York Family in Hello. First, I have to say that I laughed when I read that the wedding has in fact provided material for TWO issues of Hello! I am sure that Richard Branson will claim that he will give all the money to charity or something similar, but two photo-spreads will certainly manage to provide quite some advertisment for lovely Necker Island.

You are quite right about disregard to the technicalities of using the term 'representation of the Royal Family'. Not only is Sarah NO longer a member of the BRF but actually, strictly speaking, the term 'representing the royal family' should really only be used in respect of events and engagements of the type that appear in the Court Circular rather than private parties! But correct form aside, it does now appear to me that for some reason Sarah did not attend. How interesting if true. Perhaps she was invited but chose not to attend - although this does seem a bit unlike Sarah. If she wasn't invited, well, it wasn't only the 'cruel Royal Family' who doesn't invite her to weddings!

Please tell me what appears in the next issue of Hello.

Thanks so much,

Alex

Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's a link to Hello magazine and the cover wedding story. You can't see too much online since you have to purchase the magazine, but scroll down a bit and you'll see the two princesses in the group shot.

Hello exclusive: Inside Holly Branson's spectacular island wedding - hellomagazine.com
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post

Thank you so much for your kind wishes, Irish eyes, which of course I reciprocate.

Many thanks as well for your information about the York Family in Hello. First, I have to say that I laughed when I read that the wedding has in fact provided material for TWO issues of Hello! I am sure that Richard Branson will claim that he will give all the money to charity or something similar, but two photo-spreads will certainly manage to provide quite some advertisment for lovely Necker Island.

You are quite right about disregard to the technicalities of using the term 'representation of the Royal Family'. Not only is Sarah NO longer a member of the BRF but actually, strictly speaking, the term 'representing the royal family' should really only be used in respect of events and engagements of the type that appear in the Court Circular rather than private parties! But correct form aside, it does now appear to me that for some reason Sarah did not attend. How interesting if true. Perhaps she was invited but chose not to attend - although this does seem a bit unlike Sarah. If she wasn't invited, well, it wasn't only the 'cruel Royal Family' who doesn't invite her to weddings!

Please tell me what appears in the next issue of Hello.

Thanks so much,

Alex
For what it's worth Alex Hello made a donation to charity in exchange for the wedding album. In the interview Holly Branson tells of her friendship with Beatrice and Eugenie. She has known them for a long time, that they and their Mum usually holiday with them every year which is great fun, and that she has become particularly close to Beatrice since the marathon. I'd be very, very surprised if Sarah wasn't invited.
Perhaps it clashed with something else she was due to attend.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

I slowly wonder where Sarah is at the moment? Two different stories about her daughters partying and no pic or mention of Sarah? Strange, that!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Courtier

It does seem very curious indeed, Kataryn.

I have followed the link to the wedding photo that Baroness of Brooks very kindly took the trouble to post, and I cannot actually see Sarah in the group photo, although to be fair, parts of it are not too clear. Although, having said that, I would have thought that Sarah would have been close to Beatrice and Eugenie, who I did manage to make out.

Although I have no proof whatsoever about what I am going to say, I do have a partial suggestion to make by way of an answer. Tom Bower, in his biograph of Richard Branson was at pains to point out that [allegedly] Branson courted members of the BRF such as Diana and Fergie and encouraged his children to do the same with the younger royals, as these were the most useful contacts for the Branson Empire. Now, if Richard Branson had hopes for Catherine and William attending the wedding [and I am sure that they would have been invited...look how Holly was invited to all 3 celebrations at William and Catherine's wedding], he was shrewd enough to realise that it would have been better NOT to invite Fergie. Remember how Harry had to keep away from Beatrice and Eugenie when they turned up with their mother at the City Trading Charity Day a few weeks ago? [To me, it was not B and E that Harry was avoiding, but their mother!!] In fact, as we now know, William and Catherine had an engagement at the same time as Holly's wedding - the Queen's Luncheon at Buckingham Palace, which the royal couple chose to attend instead, and with the recession now on, I think that this also prevented any negative fall-out along the lines of 'Catherine and William at luxury 4 day party whilst hard-up Britons shiver' etc etc which, although quite unfair, would probably have happened nevertheless.

If Sarah had had to turn down the wedding for another reason - for example, a tv commitment or a charity fundraiser, I am sure we would have heard about it.

As to Verbier, I am sure that Sarah must be there - after all, the papers say that the Princesses are staying with Paddy McNally. Perhaps Sarah is accepting of the fact that it was the younger generation partying that night, and her 52 year old self was slightly out of place. Perhaps we will therefore see her ski-ing in due course?

Alex
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I found an article in an Austrian newspaper about Sarah shopping for traditional Austrian country fashion as gifts for not only Andrew, Beatrice and Eugenie but for Willim and Catherine as well. The designer took pains to deliver the custom-made pieces himself to Royal Lodge where he and his wife plus assistent were received by Sarah and treated to champagne. She obvioulsy was interested in the Austrian's opinion about the German conquest of Austria in 1938...

Here's the article:

Britische Royals in Jacken von Rettl > Kleine Zeitung
Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Fascinatiang Kataryn, and thank you for posting.

I have to say that Sarah's finances have obviously revived, as the presents seem quite expensive [unless she got them free, in exchange for publicity] and the Champagne sounds good as well!

Actually, without wishing to be unkind, the whole episode seems to sum up the unrealistic lifestyle of Sarah. Custom-made presents sound absolutely wonderful, and also very kind, but it does seem a bit Over the Top on the part of Sarah to invite the designers to her husband's home and ply them with Champagne. It is the lifestyle of the rich jet-set crowd, rather than the royal family, I think.

Incidentally, if this sort of happening is making the press, I am even more surprised that no mention of Sarah's attendance at the Branson wedding has leaked out, which makes me think that perhaps she really was not invited [for whatever reason] after all.

Only my opinion, and I don't mean to offend by it.

Diarist
Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Courtier

She found another way to be in a newspaper. What a resourceful gal!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop View Post
She found another way to be in a newspaper. What a resourceful gal!
How did she find another way to be in a newspaper? She purchased some items and took a picture with the owner. She did alert the press to her purchase, did she sell the picture, etc.

I am a bit confused here. In previous pages, people suggested that Sarah should exit stage left, and live a quiet life. And than we get posts asking where she is? She appears in a German newspaper, and now its like she is seeking the press. We have no idea if she altered the press to her purchase or if the owner was looking for some publicity and did it.

She can't win for losing.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

I suspect that most of us on the forum are pleased to see that Sarah has been living quietly for awhile. That doesn't mean that we're not still curious about where she is and what she is doing.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Royal Highness

I think so, too. Especially as she "normally" is seen around her daughters during this time of the year. So I was curious as to why she changed her routine and was initially searching the German language edition of Google News Switzerland for any mentioning of her being in Verbier in a Swiss local paper when I found the link to that Austrian newspaper. It has nothing to do that I want to hear from her but this silence around Christmas/New Year is something IMHO that is not the way it normally was. And that's worthy of a discussion, no?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
We have no idea if she altered the press to her purchase or if the owner was looking for some publicity and did it.
To be honest - we know. That author of that article commented when the article got some comments about containing too much advertisment for the designer that he tried to report it as real news but that he had been alerted to the news by the designer and that the designer is unhappy that it didn't contain more direct advertisment information. So Sarah definately was used in that case by the Austrian designer. Only some Austrian news outlets reported about it, no German or Swiss publication.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness

And how do we know that Sarah didn't consent to this "use"?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
We don't know. But we learn from the article that she got a gift of a designer frock from them and obviously took it. She even ate a typical Austrian mountain cold dish ("Jause") with them that they had brought with them to Royal Lodge. She received them in a ballroom the space of 250 sq.m.... Plus she immediately ordered the same dress that the assistent wore. And we are informed that first an assistent called the designer and wanted to order for Sarah and when they wondered if the call was real she took the phone and said it was her and surely they recognized her voice? I had a little laugh here because I believe not even staunch Royal watchers would be able to recognize Sarah's voice? Seems she does believe that, though.

Still, this is all part of her private dealings with a designer and surely nothing she would want to have reported. While the designer surely was very interested in using this for his promo - he even told the reporter that he could raise his prices now he had Royal customers...
Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
We don't know. I think people are going to have do something with Sarah that they haven't done in quite awhile. Give her the benefit of the doubt. She may have consented to the use or she may not have. But somehow I think if she was seeking publicity to prove her importance (as many like to claim) she would have contacted more media outlets.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
I suspect that most of us on the forum are pleased to see that Sarah has been living quietly for awhile. That doesn't mean that we're not still curious about where she is and what she is doing.
Absolutely. Whilst this thread includes reference to the activities of Sarah, Duchess of York, then of course she is going to be discussed.

At the risk of being labelled a 'Sarah-Basher', I have to say that Kataryn's latest revelations don't particularly thrill me.......it seems that Sarah is yet again exploiting her 'royal connections'. This story seems not so much about lovely presents for Christmas, but Sarah on the commercial trail once more.....

I am quite prepared to be told that I am wrong, but I am quite sure that by posing for the photo, Sarah knew that this was not a 'private and personal matter' but a business one. A free dress as well..... Oh dear, nothing much changes does it....

Again, only my personal views and I don't wish to offend Sarah's loyal band of supporters.

Alex
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

UK Cinderella show blasted for naming ugly sisters Beatrice and Eugenie
A British stage production of Cinderella has come under fire for naming the two ugly sisters Beatrice and Eugenie after the daughters of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. The stage production of the fairytale, at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury, southeastern England, features two male actors dressed in outlandish clothes and garish makeup playing the sisters.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Aristocracy

I really don’t feel that there’s any attempt here by Sarah to get publicity for herself. This is one article in a small Austrian newspaper (literally “small”… the “Kleine Zeitung”!), which was clearly put forward by the designer in a very understandable attempt to advertise their “royal patronage”. It hasn’t been picked up by other media outlets.

Also, 10,000 euros does seem a lot to us, but Sarah no longer has debts, and has recently had a successful book and TV show, so she will be earning good money again, I think. And surely with an order of this size, it would be perfectly natural to throw in a little extra (the frock) to encourage a good (and prestigious) customer.

I found it interesting that Sarah supposedly asked about the “occupation” of Austria by Germany (which wasn’t exactly an occupation, as there was widespread popular support for Hitler, and he was more or less invited in). “She wanted to check if we were on the (far) right” is the quote. Perhaps Sarah is so used to being stitched up by the media that she was scared of a “Nazi connection” tabloid hysteria. Maybe it’s a historical area that she’s interested in, or maybe her remarks were simply misinterpreted or “lost in translation”.

Overall, a slightly odd article but an interesting little vignette from Sarah’s life from an outsider’s perspective. Thanks for posting, Kataryn.
http://duchessofyork.webeden.co.uk/
Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieFan View Post
I found it interesting that Sarah supposedly asked about the “occupation” of Austria by Germany (which wasn’t exactly an occupation, as there was widespread popular support for Hitler, and he was more or less invited in).
We discussed that in another thread and fact is that even though a lot of Austrians were quite happy to become part of Germany back then, they were not asked but Hitler sent in his army. So it was an occupation in the legal sense, with Austria completely losing its independance, government, legal structure etc. But no need to discuss this here, as it is very complicated and complex.

But interestingly Sarah asked those questions to people from the Austrian region of Kärnten, were at least in the past the majority has voted for a rightist party and was governed by a notorious Rightist politician. Not sure how it is at the moment there, but Kärnten used to be a rightist center in Austria.

Ah, and the "Kleine Zeitung" is not a small paper when it comes to the copies they sell but it's a small in size paper which is widely read in the South of Austria. The story was taken over by the Austrian Broadcasting Company's News as well.

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york