The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can understand their wanting to go to the Branson wedding, but as long as they attend such events with Fergie instead of activities with the RF, they'll provoke criticism of the "chip off the old block" nature.

That's fine if they don't want to be working royals, but it will work against them if they do. (I read that Beatrice is disappointed that the POW doesn't intend to let her join the Firm.)

Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Majesty

The problem with that is that she is their mother and is friendly with the parents of many of their friends so it comes down to them saying 'look we would love to come but only if you don't invite our mother'.

They will have to get used to the idea that they aren't wanted as working royals by the next two kings and simply get their own lives together. They are peripheral to the royal family already and will only become increasingly so in the decades ahead as William and Harry become fathers. Harry's kids will be in the same situation in a quarter of a century - just as Margaret's were in the early to mid 80s as they came to adulthood.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The commentary seems to find their choice a big mistake, if they ever hope for a role in the RF. None of the other royals attended the Branson event, so it seems like a replay of the Ecclestone wedding. I bet Andrew is livid!
I'll bet it was a bit of a trade-off. I'm sure Prince Wm & Kate, and Harry were also invited to the wedding. I believe they are all good friends w the Bransons, and their mother was good friends with the family as well. However, I'm sure HM didn't wish to have 4 of her six adult grandchildren miss the luncheon, and the idea that the York girls attend the wedding and Wm & Harry attend the luncheon was more-than-likely the answer.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:49 AM
Aristocracy

If William and Kate are giving up their skiing holiday because it doesn't look good in today's economy with so many people struggling...I doubt that they would even consider going to Necker Island. Beatrice is in a different position in that Dave works for Branson.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Courtier

I've been busy in the run-up to Christmas, but now find myself with a little time on my hands, post-Christmas lunch, as the family is now in 'resting mode' having had Church, presents, gigantic lunch and Queen's Christmas Broadcast. Whilst they slumber, I can catch up here.

I have been reviewing the last few posts about Beatrice and Eugenie attending Holly Branson's wedding. People seem to be split between the view that the girls were right attending the wedding on the basis that Holly is their friend, and the girls were wrong in attending the wedding on the basis that it took them away from the Queen's luncheon.

I can see merit in both points of view in general. What could be more natural in wanting to attend their friend's wedding? In theory, there is nothing wrong in that; however, in practice, it is my very humble view that the girls were wrong to go to the wedding if they still wish to have any chance of taking up royal duties.

If I may be totally frank, I always feel a bit of unease whenever I read about the involvement of Richard Branson in anything 'Royal'. Richard Branson comes across as a jolly and amusing character. But, make no mistake, I rate him as a very hard-nosed businessman. Underneath the jokey smile and the cuddly sweaters, there lurks a remarkeable self-publicist, who, I feel, uses the BRF in every way to promote his formidable business enterprise.

I am not alone in this view: Richard Branson's biographer Tom Bower noted in his book how Branson cleverly got involved with Princess Diana and then the Queen's grandchildren. In particular, Bower notes how Branson gives his children a 'big push' to make and keep friendships with the Royal offspring.

Forum members will also no doubt remember how Diana used to photographed in a Virgin sweatshirt, priceless publicity no doubt for Branson's airline, reinforced by the mutually benefical decision to offer Diana masses of free flights and also holidays with William and Harry on Necker. Ah yes, the holiday on Necker might seem to be a kind-hearted gesture on the part of Branson in order to give the royals a 'get away from the Press' break, but don't forget, as I mentioned to the surprise of some forum members on another thread, that Necker is also available to rent on a commercial basis. The 'royal imprint' again is a priceless marketing tool. I even thought that the visit of Beatrice to the Virgin Galactic Space Port back in November was a difficult situation; it seemed 'natural enough' for Beatrice to accompany her boyfriend there, but to me, it struck me as a purely commercial opportunity for Branson - how many other 'girlfriends of staff' were invited there, I ask myself?

To me, I think the visit to Necker for Holly's wedding was therefore an unwise route for Beatrice and Eugenie to take. I feel sure that in due course, Sir Richard will arrange for 'tasteful' photographs of the wedding, and in particular, the Royal Princesses, to appear in either Hello or OK magazine.

I also think that it is not helpful for the Princesses to be continually photographed with their mother at 'Branson' events, or come to that, 'working events', if the Princesses have any chance of managing to convince the Palace that they should 'join the family firm'. For whatever reason - many quite good, no doubt, Beatrice has graduated from university almost half a year ago, and she still seems to be doing very little, or at any rate, that is the perception. Any photographs of her participating in the social 'high life' would not appear to be consistent with the life of a working royal, however unfair this perception may seem to be.....

Lastly, although I do accept that there will be many opportunities for Beatrice and Eugenie to attend the Monarch's Christmas lunch [which they had to miss whilst they were in Necker], the recent heart operation of Prince Philip [who I hope is now well on the mend] is also a sober reminder that the monarch and her consort are not immortal. I therefore think that however natural it was for Beatrice and Eugenie to want to be with their friend, I just think that the decision could have been wrong....

Only my views and not meant to offend,

Alex

philips illness
Old 12-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
uses the BRF in every way to promote his formidable business enterprise.
In the same way that almost every person who comes into contact with the royals, and does not work for them, can use the BRF to promote their business. My main example, the middletons. Yes Catherine is presumably in love with William and vice versa, but it sure provides an added extra having your daughter married to the future King. It may also be that the BRF gets something out of attending the Virgin events, i don't mean flying perks or what not but the royal family relies upon publicity as well.

Quote:
To me, I think the visit to Necker for Holly's wedding was therefore an unwise route for Beatrice and Eugenie to take. I feel sure that in due course, Sir Richard will arrange for 'tasteful' photographs of the wedding, and in particular, the Royal Princesses, to appear in either Hello or OK magazine.
What about the numerous times William, Harry and Catherine have appeared in Hello! solely because they attended their friends wedding. This is different perhaps because we're talking about Beatrice & Eugenie and a wedding not in a quaint little church in the English countryside? I'm sure the couples who allowed pictures of their wedding in Hello! because W&C were there would have made something from it, else why agree to it?

Quote:
...with their mother at 'Branson' events,
Beatrice and Eugenie seem very much to be family orientated girls, I'm sure like most normal people do, find it very hard to say no or back off to your own mother.

Quote:
Lastly, although I do accept that there will be many opportunities for Beatrice and Eugenie to attend the Monarch's Christmas lunch [which they had to miss whilst they were in Necker], the recent heart operation of Prince Philip [who I hope is now well on the mend] is also a sober reminder that the monarch and her consort are not immortal. I therefore think that however natural it was for Beatrice and Eugenie to want to be with their friend, I just think that the decision could have been wrong....
The Queen and Prince Philip are not immortal, neither are any of the royal family nor anyone in the world. But that should not stop anyone living their life the way they want. Beatrice may die tomorrow, HM might, I might...but i'm still going to go on with my life as normal. If you constantly thought well some member of my family may die today, I best not do what I was going to, you would have no life at all.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator

I must be honest, I really don't get how if the Queen doesn't have a problem with the York girls attending the Branson wedding why its such an issue.

As for immortality, I am sure the Queen is fully aware of that tomorrow is not promised for everyone and still didn't have a problem with it. I mean, frankly, if its okay for William to miss his cousin's wedding (because of a previous commitment) why isn't it okay for the girls to miss the Christmas luncheon? Its not like they didn't turn up today for the actual Christmas event.

I also fail to see why Andrew would be upset by this. I wish we could all come to some understanding about the York girls. Its like the DM is trying to stir up trouble when there is none. How on earth is their missing a Christmas luncheon a slight on their future roles in the Firm? Either they will be a part of it or not.

And in regards to the Bransons, again since royalty began....there have been plenty of families that have made use of their royal connections...and benefited from them. Nor should the fact that the Branson have dubious connecitons/rumour, etc be an issue. We can certainly talk about some of the friends of the Wales family who got caught up the drug scene and/or opened a club based on their connecitons.

I really hate to bring up other members of the BRF and start comparisons, but once again, it appears that the Yorks are held to a different standard.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Nobility

Here is the point that just cannot be gotten around: Both for reasons of their own doing and for other reasons beyond their control, the York princesses have a poor public perception. Now, anytime they do something like go to Necker with the Bransons, or party with the Ecclestones, or go out clubbing, they are seen in a negative light -- and not just by the DM. It is unfortunate, but it is true. Diarist's comments show that well beyond the DM, socially they are disapproved and a bad perception has grown up around them.

So, in order to turn things around and get themselves into a position where eventually they can be more normal and not have everything they do dissected by the press and public, they have to be above reproach for a while. No clubbing, no Branson/Ecclestones/Euro trash partying, no hanging out too publicly at social events where their troubled mother is welcome.

That is why there was surprised commentary that they bypassed the Queen's lunch for the Branson wedding. If they were in good standing, I doubt it would have been a big deal and no one would have paid much attention. I just wonder where the PR people are... It's going to take a lot of good behaviour for them to be taken seriously. And Zonk, you are right: it isn't fair, but sometimes fair has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Aristocracy

I doubt that any of the Yorks would be willing to listen to PR people. Andrew and Sarah appear to have that victim attitude...poor me, the press is picking on me. They don't seem to comprehend that maybe if they changed their ways the press's attitude would change. Instead they almost thumb their nose at the press and the public and do things their way. Unfortunately, Beatrice seems to be following in their footsteps. It doesn't take a great deal of brains to realize that if your parents are routinely criticized for being useless spongers and you don't want to be tarred with the same brush that it might help if you got a job or at least did something useful.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Courtier

Whether all the talk about the girls joining "the firm" is real or not is another question. Charles has clearly said that he wants to trim things down. Given the public's seemingly constant outcry about the cost of the royals it would seem rather foolish to count on continuing support. The girls, as other of the children, will find themselves further and further down the rungs of the ladder. It would be best if they moved on and got jobs or married. The thing is, no matter what they do they will be criticized. There is so little a junior royal can do in terms of a job that does not draw criticism. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Having said that I do think they should limit their association with the likes of the euro trash types like the Ecclestons .... Branson, I do not think falls in that category. I really do think it is time to give up thoughts of actively being part of the firm.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
Here is the point that just cannot be gotten around: Both for reasons of their own doing and for other reasons beyond their control, the York princesses have a poor public perception. Now, anytime they do something like go to Necker with the Bransons, or party with the Ecclestones, or go out clubbing, they are seen in a negative light -- and not just by the DM. It is unfortunate, but it is true. Diarist's comments show that well beyond the DM, socially they are disapproved and a bad perception has grown up around them.

So, in order to turn things around and get themselves into a position where eventually they can be more normal and not have everything they do dissected by the press and public, they have to be above reproach for a while. No clubbing, no Branson/Ecclestones/Euro trash partying, no hanging out too publicly at social events where their troubled mother is welcome.

That is why there was surprised commentary that they bypassed the Queen's lunch for the Branson wedding. If they were in good standing, I doubt it would have been a big deal and no one would have paid much attention. I just wonder where the PR people are... It's going to take a lot of good behaviour for them to be taken seriously. And Zonk, you are right: it isn't fair, but sometimes fair has nothing to do with it.

Everything you have said is true, Susanna, right down to the fact that basically some things are not fair.

The point I was trying to make was this: we are told that Prince Andrew still harbours a wish for his daughters to be part of the 'family firm', i.e. working royals. I don't have a problem with the York Princesses going to the wedding per se - as Zonk rightly points out, the Queen had no difficulties with this. BUT - and this really is a big BUT - if Beatrice and Eugenie still hope to be working royals, they have to 'keep their noses clean' and because - UNFAIRLY as I admit it is - the two princesses are being held to a higher standard than other royals, apparently because of - as I said, unfairly - the perceived 'lapses in judgement' on the part of their parents, Beatrice and Eugenie have to strive to appear 'whiter than white'....

Thus, I can well understand that the Queen would have no difficulties with B and E going off to Necker as 'private individuals', as potential royal family recruits, they really have to distance themselves from too much 'high life'. For example, I daresay they are off to Paddy McNally's Verbier chalet soon for their annual ski-ing holiday. Again, nothing wrong with that per se, particularly as McNally is a longtime family friend who can be relied on to be discreet, but in practice, as we all know, there are going to be some 'First they party in luxury in Necker and now, barely 4 weeks later, they ski in luxury in Verbier' pictures.

Without wishing to stray too much OT, I think that Edward and Sophie really have it right - not too many pictures of them 'living it up', ever. Even their beach holiday was spent in Portugal; no doubt it was at a pretty upscale holiday, but the image was one of enjoying the type of beach holiday that many of HM's ordinary subjects do - in other words, sandcastles and swimming in a place without the huge exclusitivity tag that Necker-the-private-island- has.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify my thinking,

Alex
Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding duties and roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie have been moved to Duties and Roles of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie .

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Prince Harry celebrates start of 2012 with Beatrice and Eugenie on ski holiday night out | Mail Online
Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

Well, that's cool that the cousins got together for the New Year.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Aristocracy

Wow, Diarist you are good. You were spot on about the tasteful photos from the Branson wedding. They even made the cover of 'Hello'. The large picture on the cover is of Branson with his daughter and then on the bottom right corner is a picture of Branson with the bride and groom flanked on either side by the two Princesses.

BP
Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
Well, that's cool that the cousins got together for the New Year.
I don't believe they did. There's no pictures of them together, just that one that was photo-shopped.
They were in the same town, but they seem to have partied separately with their own group of friends.

I was wondering if they even met during the holiday?

I too saw the Branson photo, with Richard, the bride and groom, and the York princesses.
Wonder how he managed to keep Fergie out of the shot?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
Wow, Diarist you are good. You were spot on about the tasteful photos from the Branson wedding. They even made the cover of 'Hello'. The large picture on the cover is of Branson with his daughter and then on the bottom right corner is a picture of Branson with the bride and groom flanked on either side by the two Princesses.

BP
Thank you for the information about 'Hello' Kakieanne. I don't buy 'Hello', but usually notice the cover when I am 'out and about' but since it is holiday time in the UK, I haven't been 'out and about' to the shops for a few days and so have not seen the cover.

I think it is a bit unfortunate that the Princesses were photographed in such a way at the wedding. Let me repeat immediately what I have said before, namely I think it is entirely natural that Beatrice and Eugenie wanted to be at their friend Holly's wedding. And again, let me repeat that I think it is unfair, but the unfortunate fact is that, for whatever the reason - although it mostly stems from negative perceptions regarding their mother and their father - the York Princesses have to watch their step a little more than William and Harry. The two Princes, even though in the case of Harry there have certainly been mistakes, are both Officers in the services, and therefore can silence any critics by having full time careers. There is a bad recession on the UK [like most places in the western world] and photos of the princesses having fun only serves to underline the [unfair] perception that when it comes to the 'curent affairs' of the young adult members of the BRF, with William and Catherine it is 'duty' whereas with the York Princesses it is fun. And, as I said previously, I suspect that we will soon be treated to more 'fun' photos when Beatrice and Eugenie go off to Verbier for their holiday with Paddy McNally.....

I haven't seen the photographs, but I expect that even though there was that disasterous fire on Necker, I am sure that it all looked pretty luxurious. Whenever I see photos of Necker, there's usually pictures of large Jacuzzis and blue sea and watersports etc. Necker is often described as Richard Branson's 'private hideaway' but in reality, it is available for rental [at a 'top dollar' rate] and photographs of the rich, the royal and famous partying away are as good a way as any of promoting the commercial side of the Necker rental operation.

The BBC reported that the Branson wedding went on for 4 days. I don't know whether that is true or not, but if so, perhaps Beatrice and Eugenie could have taken a leaf out of their Aunt Diana's book and just attended the actual ceremony rather than the partying? I rememeber that, starting with the wedding of Diana's flatmater Carolyn Pride to William Bartholomew back in 1982, the Waleses often attended the ceremony and then did not stay for the reception and the partying.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
Wow, Diarist you are good. You were spot on ..........

Why, thank you, Kakieanne. But in all honesty, you have to remember that it is all quite easy for me. I am very, very lucky - although, as I feely admit, I am no one special - to have the type of social life where I have ample opportunity to see members of the BRF and mix with many people who for various reasons, are very well-informed about royal matters. As I write this from my little sitting room, [which is on the first floor - i.e. second storey if you are an American] I can see Windsor Castle very closely. And even when I am in London, where we have a house in Kensington, I can see Kensington Palace just as easily. To be honest, I rate many fellow forum members here as far, far cleverer than I am - you have had to study things from afar and do a lot of research, whereas I just have to report what I see and hear. Often it turns out to be quite right, although much of what I try to reveal here has to be deleted quite frequenly by the moderators on the grounds that it is speculative etc...

Knowing what I do about Sir Richard Branson and his modus operandi, it was quite obvious to me that he'd probably be angling to get a couple of issues' worth of photos of Holly's wedding....

Happy New Year,
Alex
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I don't believe they did. There's no pictures of them together, just that one that was photo-shopped.
They were in the same town, but they seem to have partied separately with their own group of friends.

I was wondering if they even met during the holiday?
In a previous article Mirabel (when the Daily Mail were reporting that Harry was Klosters) someone from Verbier posted the following a comment:

He's in Verbier, not Klosters. Sort it out DM. He was in Public- Guy Pelly's new club last night with his cousins
- Berry, Verbier, 31/12/2011 10:13

Read more: Prince Harry hurls snowballs during skiing break in Klosters | Mail Online

Not sure how reliable Berry is but...

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
In a previous article Mirabel (when the Daily Mail were reporting that Harry was Klosters) someone from Verbier posted the following a comment:

He's in Verbier, not Klosters. Sort it out DM. He was in Public- Guy Pelly's new club last night with his cousins
- Berry, Verbier, 31/12/2011 10:13

Read more: Prince Harry hurls snowballs during skiing break in Klosters | Mail Online

Not sure how reliable Berry is but...

Happy New Year!
Yes, I read that, but one news report said that Harry and the York girls were not there at the same time. That's why I don't think they actually partied together.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I too saw the Branson photo, with Richard, the bride and groom, and the York princesses.
Wonder how he managed to keep Fergie out of the shot?

Do we know if Fergie actually attended the wedding? Everything seems to have gone rather 'quiet' in Fergie's corner recently if the Press is anything to go by [which, I concede, it often isn't!!]

I know that we often see that Fergie is a 'jolly good friend' of Richard Branson, but I got the distinct impression that the wedding guests were mostly from the bride and bridgeroom's generation?

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks, Alex

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york