The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Courtier

Just so that the matter is clear, at Oxford and Cambridge, your undergraduate degree is a BA.................but then, 6 or 7 years after matriculation [which basically is the date when you enter University], without futher study, your BA degree then 'incepts' as an MA degree. [Although it is NOT treated as an examined Master's Degree]

Both the Prince of Wales and Prince Edward have MAs from their time at Cambridge.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. :)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

The Duchess of York, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie participated in the BGC Partners’ Charity
Day in London today, September 12, 2011. Prince Harry attended as well.

** Pic ** Pic 2 **

** express: PRINCESS BEATRICE AND EUGENIE TAKE TO THE TRADING FLOOR **

** Hola: El príncipe Harry se convierte en 'broker solidario' por un día y bate récord ** Hola gallery **

** dailymail: Hand over your cash! Sarah Ferguson makes a begging phone call for money... but this time it's all going to charity **

** gettyimages/daylife gallery **
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

OK! Magazine: First For Celebrity News :: Latest Celebrity News :: Kelly Brook is making some men in a London office really happy right now
Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

The Duchess of York, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie participated in the BGC Partners’ Charity
Day in London today, September 12, 2011. Prince Harry attended as well.

** Pic ** Pic 2 **

** express: PRINCESS BEATRICE AND EUGENIE TAKE TO THE TRADING FLOOR **

And, oh dear, Sarah is 'participating' too!!

In my humble opinion, I don't think it helps that she tags along whenever her daughters do something. Although, to be fair, we do not know whether Sarah was included in the invitation............ I just wish that she would let the girls do things on their own....

[And, since another forum member mentioned it, I have noticed how Sarah tends to 'pose' for photographs, with one leg slightly forward - apparently a well-known techinique to make your legs look their best.]
Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
And, oh dear, Sarah is 'participating too'!!

In my humble opinion, I don't think it helps that she tags along whenever her daughters do something. Altough, to be fair, we do not know whether Sarah was included in the invitation............ I just wish that she would let the girls do things on their own....

[And, since another forum member mentioned it, I have noticed how Sarah tends to 'pose' for photographs, with one leg slightly forward - apparently a well-known techinique to make your legs look their best.]
I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the pictures of the girls in the fashion thread. The saying 'mummy's girl' is kind of reversed here.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
(I rather thought it was to make herself look smaller as she seems to be gaining quite a bit of weight again.)

Not to crazy with what Eugenie was wearing. She seemed to be a bit of a mannequin of which the outfit was just hung on her. Does this make sense? Any who, back to Bea who deserves accolades for completing her degree.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that's the intention in these photos; and if Sarah did intend it that way, she's doing it backwards. It's done with the left leg in front, knee slightly bent, with the heel touching the curve of the right instep.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Aristocracy

Seeing Sarah attend the same charity function as her daughters doesn't bother me at all; it is a worthwhile cause.
Sarah has been doing charity events for more than a decade.
Does she need to decline that type of work just because she's no longer a real royal? Or does she need to stop because her girls are now old enough to take over? That could be seen as discrimination due to age.
Plenty of people don't snub their parents just because they are gaining a few pounds or wrinkles. Think of all the events Prince Charles attends with his mother, events attended by both Princess Victoria and Queen Silvia, events Sir Richard Branson supports alongside his daughter.
Nice people are not snobby and certainly not to their parents.
If all of the Yorks are working for that charity then I can see why the press would like a photo. (After which they all go back to answering phones etc.)
We see many photos of the York girls without their parents.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Sorry but Fergie looks desperate
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...98_634x466.jpg

I am no psychologist but I dont expect this mother daughter relationsship as easy as it seems and will only get worse in the future, when the attention is going to shift from mother to own family.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Desperate for attention is what I thought. Sad, really.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, come ON! They look like they're just goofing around. I see nothing "desperate" about it.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Seeing Sarah attend the same charity function as her daughters doesn't bother me at all; it is a worthwhile cause.
Sarah has been doing charity events for more than a decade.
Does she need to decline that type of work just because she's no longer a real royal? Or does she need to stop because her girls are now old enough to take over? That could be seen as discrimination due to age.
Plenty of people don't snub their parents just because they are gaining a few pounds or wrinkles. Think of all the events Prince Charles attends with his mother, events attended by both Princess Victoria and Queen Silvia, events Sir Richard Branson supports alongside his daughter.
Nice people are not snobby and certainly not to their parents.
If all of the Yorks are working for that charity then I can see why the press would like a photo. (After which they all go back to answering phones etc.)
We see many photos of the York girls without their parents.
What follows is only my personal opinion: Sarah has indeed been appearing at charity events over the years. Oddly enough, this has largely been since her divorce - in fact, when she was a member of the BRF she had a reputation for being lazy and NOT wanting to carry out royal enagements.

Of course there is nothing wrong generally about people appearing at events with their parents. And I don't think 'snobby' actually comes into that at all: I associate snobbishness with looking down on people who you reckon are your social inferiors.

No, the problem I have with Sarah appearing alongside the Princesses and Prince Harry is that to me it all smacks of Sarah 'trying to get in on the royal act' yet again. Some other forum members might be able to see what I mean.

My opinion - and I must make it clear that it is only my opinion - is that the best chance that Beatrice and Eugenie have of establishing some sort of royal role - which DOES appear to be a possibility still on the basis of what BP have said with regard to Beatrice's plans post graduation, despite remarks attributed to Prince Charles suggesting that he plans to 'slim' down the BRF when he is king - is to leave poor old Sarah behind when they are out on 'official' appearances such as this one. I am sorry to sound cruel, because I do of course accept that Sarah will always have a role as their mother and that she loves them deeply. And it does seem that Children in Crisis is to be a beneficiary of some of the fundraising. But Sarah is NO longer a member of the BRF and has not been for many years. I think that the time now is for Sarah to fade into the background after all the recent scandals. I can just imagine the scene round the Balmoral Breakfast table when Prince Philip spies the photo of his adored grandchildren Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie..........and then spots Fergie there too. Charles did not attend; why does Sarah keep on turning up, other than to keep her face in the frame yet again?

There is another thing that still worries me: how is Sarah's financial situation? If she is still finding it hard to acquire money - and I rather fear that the money from Oprah and the book is not going to last that long - we then have the potential for further embarrasment when this photo is dragged up from the archives to illustrate any future 'Sarah is broke again' coverage, and yet again her daughters are going to be dragged into the spotlight once more, as will Harry this time.

I don't want to cause offence, but I really think that Sarah should accept that her time in the spotlight should be at an end.

Alex
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Oh, come ON! They look like they're just goofing around. I see nothing "desperate" about it.
Yes, goofing around. Making funny faces and she's how old? I'm sure you think it's all fun and games and you are very much entitled to give her the benefit of the doubt, however I see it as business as usual for Sarah to garner some attention and the spot light for something, anything that will make her some money.
Harsh, I know, however Sarah has used all her "Get out of Jail Free" cards with me and I haven't any patience for the woman anymore. It galls me that she is a reflection on the BRF. And there are those who say "But she's not a member" and I say, "Look whose company she's in???"
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Courtier

Absolutely agree with the above two posts. I know it's the DM but even the title of the article re Sarah asking for money again harks back to her previous behavior. She is an adult, she needs to start acting like one and not some silly girl at/from school mugging for the camera. The only royals there were the YOUNG royals. One has to wonder how she came to be there. IMO, yet again she is hanging on for dear life to her daughters and honestly I thought both girls looked more at ease and sparkly in the pictures from the other day having to do with F Mercury than they did at this event. Of course, I have no way of knowing but it just looks to me like she drags the girls down, if for no other reason than they may be wondering what kind reporting will show up next. She needs to release them and stand on her own two feet, IMO. They are her daughters, they are not going to say NO to her because they are kind young women.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think that mugging for the camera suits a 50-year-old woman. If she were simply carrying on with the others, that would be one thing; but she's looking right at the camera and wearing a "look at me" face. Beatrice and Eugenie are more dignified ladies.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No, the problem I have with Sarah appearing alongside the Princesses and Prince Harry is that to me it all smacks of Sarah 'trying to get in on the royal act' yet again.

My opinion - and I must make it clear that it is only my opinion - is that the best chance that Beatrice and Eugenie have of establishing some sort of royal role - which DOES appear to be a possibility still on the basis of what BP have said with regard to Beatrice's plans post graduation, despite remarks attributed to Prince Charles suggesting that he plans to 'slim' down the BRF when he is king - is to leave poor old Sarah behind when they are out on 'official' appearances such as this one. I am sorry to sound cruel, because I do of course accept that Sarah will always have a role as their mother and that she loves them deeply. And it does seem that Children in Crisis is to be a beneficiary of some of the fundraising. But Sarag is NO longer a member of the BRF and has not been for many years. I think that the time now is for Sarah to fade into the background after all the recent scandals. I can just imagine the scene round the Balmoral Breakfast table when Prince Philip spies the photo of his adored grandchildren Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie..........and then spots Fergie there too. Charles did not attend; why does Sarah keep on turning up, other than to keep her face in the frame yet again.

There is another thing that still worries me: how is Sarah's financial situation? If she is still finding it hard to acquire money - and I rather fear that the money from Oprah and the book is not going to last that long - we then have the potential for further embarrasment when this photo is dragged up from the archives to illustrate any future 'Sarah is broke again' coverage, and yet again her daughters are going to be dragged into the spotlight once more, as will Harry this time.

I don't want to cause offence, but I really think that Sarah should accept that her time in the spotlight should be at an end.

Alex
I didn't see any pictures of Harry w/ either of the York girls or their mother - did I miss some? If this is true, then the fact that they attended the same event, but were not together should spare Harry any future mud from Sarah's misdeeds, IMO.
I agree, Diarist, that it would help the Princesses ease more gracefully (shall we say) into an adult and welcomed role w/ their father's family if their mother was gracious enough to recognize that the public wants to see them and not her, and that they are old enough now to start to fulfill adult responsibilities w/out her.
Indeed, I found it interesting that the Prince and the Princesses where not photographed together and assumed this was because they were there at different times or because Harry chose not to be associated with Sarah. I have read her statement that she had not spoken to either of the Wales Princes for several years.
In looking at the pictures of Sarah with Beatrice at her graduation and again Sarah w/ both girls at the trading floor benefit - I noticed that Sarah had thrust her body in front of Beatrice for the posed photograph in both cases - if there's any truth to the adage that a picture is worth a thousand words, then Sarah seems to be thrusting herself front and center seeking attention while obscuring her daughter - interesting.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Courtier

Not sure if Harry was photographed or not with his cousins and Sarah. The point I was making that Sarah was present at an event that Harry also attended; perhaps Beatrice and Eugenie and Sarah were there at different times, but as it was the same event, it was only a matter of degree in my opinion.

It is not really relevent to say so, but I am reminded sometimes of how, when the children were young, Sarah was frequently jetting off without them [holidaying and in pursuit of other men from memory]. And now, when the girls are almost grown up, Sarah seems around more than ever.

Alex
Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And, oh dear, Sarah is 'participating' too!!

In my humble opinion, I don't think it helps that she tags along whenever her daughters do something. Although, to be fair, we do not know whether Sarah was included in the invitation............ I just wish that she would let the girls do things on their own....
I agree; I also agree that having Sarah constantly hanging around is damaging Andrew's efforts to have the girlsrepresenting the RF at events. Sarah's a regular millstone round her daughters' necks, and she ought to realize it and back off a bit!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Sorry but Fergie looks desperate
I am no psychologist but I dont expect this mother daughter relationsship as easy as it seems and will only get worse in the future, when the attention is going to shift from mother to own family.
Psychology is not my field, either - but as they say - you don't have to be a dentist to know rotting teeth when you see them!

Seriously though, after seeing the OWN show and the way Beatrice "mothers her mother" - I don't think it is even now a completely healthy relationship nor an easy one at least from the points of view of the young ladies. (Not to leave out Eugenie: She looked as though she wanted to be anywhere except on camera with Oprah's crew following her as she cried, and her mother didn't put her hand up and stop the cameras as I believe she should have.)
Beatrice telling Sarah that now she (Bea) won't have to be as concerned that Sarah won't be able to cope when Bea isn't around just made me think significant parts of their relationship are upside-down. Sarah should be protective of Beatrice, not vice versa, similar to how she should have shielded Eugenie from the OWN cameras when Eugenie burst into tears and kept turning her face away from the cameras; instead Sarah told her that all was well.

Nobody needs a recap of the OWN fiasco, but I did want to cite some examples of why I see a currently unhealthy relationship between mother and daughters. I do not doubt there is great love between them nor do I think Sarah was a bad mother, but they are young adults now and need to go places on their own instead of being mummy's ticket to events, etc. When they do marry, I expect Sarah will make the absolute most of the weddings to put it mildly. I don't think she will go for a Zara style affair; these granddaughters of the Queen will be embarrassed as they'll have to deal with their mum expecting glass coaches and the Abbey, with the mother of the bride exuberantly in the front row with the rest of the BRF, holding hands with Andrew.

Oh, I just had a mean thought; if one or both girls have a balcony appearance at BP, I can just picture Sarah getting Andrew to reprise their own wedding day kiss. The horror!

Tags
duke of york, old photos, pictures, prince andrew, princess beatrice, princess eugenie, sarah duchess of york