York Family News and Pictures 1: September 2003-September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this engagement near Eugenie's school?

They have both done engagements with their father. Eugenie's just happen to be quite recent.

Eugenie has is in her final year at university. She will graduate next summer.

Maybe Beatrice has started one of the internships that it has been reported that she is going to do, or had a job interview etc.

Isn't this engagement near Eugenie's school?

They have both done engagements with their father. Eugenie's just happen to be quite recent.

Yes it is - she is at university in Newcastle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope I didn't give the impression that I was calling Eugenie "fat." I think that she has a nice figure; but when she wears her clothes too tight, sometimes they emphasize her shape too much. Too tight can sometimes equal "cheap."

Eugenie is not model slim and that's fine by me.
She might always be an average woman, size wise.
I don't know why people are so rude as to always comment on her being what they feel is over weight. Would those people comment on their own daughter or niece in the same way?
The black dress has wonderful capped sleeves and she looks confident and happy.

I remember Princess Eugenie taking part in another royal occasion that took place near her university, but I can't remember who it was with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eugenie looks really beautiful in this dress. She's a beautiful girl anyway, but this dress--the cut and the colouring--look really great on her.:flowers:

Queen backs plan to let daughter of Prince William and Kate Middleton to accede to the throne - Telegraph

If this article is correct, then the line of succession would be - Anne -4th, Peter - 5th, his children 6th and 7th (current pregnancy,) Zara 8th, Andrew 9th, Beatrice 10th and Eugenie 11th, etc.. If this has been in the works for awhile that the change would be with descendants of the Queen rather than descendants of Prince Charles, it may explain the suggestions that the York girls will not perform royal duties and certainly adds fuel to the fire that they should not have protection as Peter and Zara never have. Anne certainly has been a very dedicated and hard working royal. But to make the change starting at Prince Charles and his descendants seems so much easier as he has 2 sons and thus no one now alive has their position changed.
If I've put this comment in the wrong place - sorry, but it seems to be news impacting the York family.

See it's strange because, from what I've read, the change would only apply to those not yet born, leaving the current line untouched. Part of this makes sense, while no one would argue that Andrew would make a better king that Anne, if the line did drop past the Wales' you'd have Peter and Zara behind their mother, two people completely unprepared for such roles. What works against the Yorks is the obvious distaste for the parents and the down right outcry that would occur if Andrew and, especially, Fergie got anywhere near the throne.

The proposed changes to the Act of Settlement will only apply to the order of succession when Charles becomes King.

The York's are doomed to never touch the throne.

Queen backs plan to let daughter of Prince William and Kate Middleton to accede to the throne - Telegraph

If this article is correct, then the line of succession would be - Anne -4th, Peter - 5th, his children 6th and 7th (current pregnancy,) Zara 8th, Andrew 9th, Beatrice 10th and Eugenie 11th, etc.. If this has been in the works for awhile that the change would be with descendants of the Queen rather than descendants of Prince Charles, it may explain the suggestions that the York girls will not perform royal duties and certainly adds fuel to the fire that they should not have protection as Peter and Zara never have. Anne certainly has been a very dedicated and hard working royal. But to make the change starting at Prince Charles and his descendants seems so much easier as he has 2 sons and thus no one now alive has their position changed.
If I've put this comment in the wrong place - sorry, but it seems to be news impacting the York family.

I wasn't sure where to put this, and so I posted it here. That these names were even considered is strange.

Theatre 're-thinks' naming Beatrice and Eugenie 'the ugly sisters' - Telegraph

Oh that's just about the nastiest thing that could be done to the York princesses. The scorn levelled against them, the family as a whole but the daughters specifically, is beyond the pale.

They won't do it, but I'd sue for defamation.
Nasty doesn't even begin to cover it. As if those girls have not spent the majority of their lives, from the time they entered their teens, as the butt of cruel jokes and vicious gossip.

I suppose the writer and producer thought themselves terribly, terribly funny when they wrote and produced this farce, but really it is just plain, old-fashioned bullying and someone need to put a stop to it. Leaving it to the company is much like setting the fox to guard the chickens . . . they are the perpetrators and as such should be vilified in the press for what they are . . . . Vicious Bullies!

Perhaps their new cousin-in-law could make it part of her anti-bullying campaign. Charity begins at home and in this case I think they should take legal action!

Last edited:
I think the ugly sisters already have names anyway. Renaming them is just cruel and stupid. Not sure if they could sue them or would bother too. The attention it would bring wouldn't be worth it. Over Halloween plenty of people dressed up as Wills and Kate and one american program dressed up as and made fun of most of the Royals including the two girls and the Queen. They call it harmless fun. Besides the theatre is getting attention just by talking about it!

The commentary seems to find their choice a big mistake, if they ever hope for a role in the RF. None of the other royals attended the Branson event, so it seems like a replay of the Ecclestone wedding. I bet Andrew is livid!

They attended a friends wedding, what is so wrong about that? William and Harry have both attended friends weddings before, or perhaps it's because those wedding were in churches in the UK.

I think it is wonderful that they went to their friend's wedding. The fact that the Queen would have had to give them permission to miss a family event says a lot about how she sees them - as young people who will hopefully only get one chance to attend Holly's wedding while they have already had 20+ Christmas dinners with the entire royal family and no doubt will have 60+ more of them (assuming Charles and William continue this tradition).

It's not like they are actually going to miss THE Christmas dinner/lunch. Basically, they won't see their grandmother's cousins (and their children). The rest they will see at Sandringham. I don't think I've even met any of my grandparents' cousins.

I think it is wonderful that they went to their friend's wedding. The fact that the Queen would have had to give them permission to miss a family event says a lot about how she sees them - as young people who will hopefully only get one chance to attend Holly's wedding while they have already had 20+ Christmas dinners with the entire royal family and no doubt will have 60+ more of them (assuming Charles and William continue this tradition).

I couldn't agree more. Presumably their friend will only have one wedding day and it would have been a shame for them to miss it when they will see most of their family in a couple of days at Sandringham.

I can understand their wanting to go to the Branson wedding, but as long as they attend such events with Fergie instead of activities with the RF, they'll provoke criticism of the "chip off the old block" nature.

That's fine if they don't want to be working royals, but it will work against them if they do. (I read that Beatrice is disappointed that the POW doesn't intend to let her join the Firm.)

The problem with that is that she is their mother and is friendly with the parents of many of their friends so it comes down to them saying 'look we would love to come but only if you don't invite our mother'.

They will have to get used to the idea that they aren't wanted as working royals by the next two kings and simply get their own lives together. They are peripheral to the royal family already and will only become increasingly so in the decades ahead as William and Harry become fathers. Harry's kids will be in the same situation in a quarter of a century - just as Margaret's were in the early to mid 80s as they came to adulthood.

The commentary seems to find their choice a big mistake, if they ever hope for a role in the RF. None of the other royals attended the Branson event, so it seems like a replay of the Ecclestone wedding. I bet Andrew is livid!

I'll bet it was a bit of a trade-off. I'm sure Prince Wm & Kate, and Harry were also invited to the wedding. I believe they are all good friends w the Bransons, and their mother was good friends with the family as well. However, I'm sure HM didn't wish to have 4 of her six adult grandchildren miss the luncheon, and the idea that the York girls attend the wedding and Wm & Harry attend the luncheon was more-than-likely the answer.

If William and Kate are giving up their skiing holiday because it doesn't look good in today's economy with so many people struggling...I doubt that they would even consider going to Necker Island. Beatrice is in a different position in that Dave works for Branson.

I've been busy in the run-up to Christmas, but now find myself with a little time on my hands, post-Christmas lunch, as the family is now in 'resting mode' having had Church, presents, gigantic lunch and Queen's Christmas Broadcast. Whilst they slumber, I can catch up here.

I have been reviewing the last few posts about Beatrice and Eugenie attending Holly Branson's wedding. People seem to be split between the view that the girls were right attending the wedding on the basis that Holly is their friend, and the girls were wrong in attending the wedding on the basis that it took them away from the Queen's luncheon.

I can see merit in both points of view in general. What could be more natural in wanting to attend their friend's wedding? In theory, there is nothing wrong in that; however, in practice, it is my very humble view that the girls were wrong to go to the wedding if they still wish to have any chance of taking up royal duties.

If I may be totally frank, I always feel a bit of unease whenever I read about the involvement of Richard Branson in anything 'Royal'. Richard Branson comes across as a jolly and amusing character. But, make no mistake, I rate him as a very hard-nosed businessman. Underneath the jokey smile and the cuddly sweaters, there lurks a remarkeable self-publicist, who, I feel, uses the BRF in every way to promote his formidable business enterprise.

I am not alone in this view: Richard Branson's biographer Tom Bower noted in his book how Branson cleverly got involved with Princess Diana and then the Queen's grandchildren. In particular, Bower notes how Branson gives his children a 'big push' to make and keep friendships with the Royal offspring.

Forum members will also no doubt remember how Diana used to photographed in a Virgin sweatshirt, priceless publicity no doubt for Branson's airline, reinforced by the mutually benefical decision to offer Diana masses of free flights and also holidays with William and Harry on Necker. Ah yes, the holiday on Necker might seem to be a kind-hearted gesture on the part of Branson in order to give the royals a 'get away from the Press' break, but don't forget, as I mentioned to the surprise of some forum members on another thread, that Necker is also available to rent on a commercial basis. The 'royal imprint' again is a priceless marketing tool. I even thought that the visit of Beatrice to the Virgin Galactic Space Port back in November was a difficult situation; it seemed 'natural enough' for Beatrice to accompany her boyfriend there, but to me, it struck me as a purely commercial opportunity for Branson - how many other 'girlfriends of staff' were invited there, I ask myself?

To me, I think the visit to Necker for Holly's wedding was therefore an unwise route for Beatrice and Eugenie to take. I feel sure that in due course, Sir Richard will arrange for 'tasteful' photographs of the wedding, and in particular, the Royal Princesses, to appear in either Hello or OK magazine.

I also think that it is not helpful for the Princesses to be continually photographed with their mother at 'Branson' events, or come to that, 'working events', if the Princesses have any chance of managing to convince the Palace that they should 'join the family firm'. For whatever reason - many quite good, no doubt, Beatrice has graduated from university almost half a year ago, and she still seems to be doing very little, or at any rate, that is the perception. Any photographs of her participating in the social 'high life' would not appear to be consistent with the life of a working royal, however unfair this perception may seem to be.....

Lastly, although I do accept that there will be many opportunities for Beatrice and Eugenie to attend the Monarch's Christmas lunch [which they had to miss whilst they were in Necker], the recent heart operation of Prince Philip [who I hope is now well on the mend] is also a sober reminder that the monarch and her consort are not immortal. I therefore think that however natural it was for Beatrice and Eugenie to want to be with their friend, I just think that the decision could have been wrong....

Only my views and not meant to offend,

Alex

philips illness

Last edited:
uses the BRF in every way to promote his formidable business enterprise.

In the same way that almost every person who comes into contact with the royals, and does not work for them, can use the BRF to promote their business. My main example, the middletons. Yes Catherine is presumably in love with William and vice versa, but it sure provides an added extra having your daughter married to the future King. It may also be that the BRF gets something out of attending the Virgin events, i don't mean flying perks or what not but the royal family relies upon publicity as well.

To me, I think the visit to Necker for Holly's wedding was therefore an unwise route for Beatrice and Eugenie to take. I feel sure that in due course, Sir Richard will arrange for 'tasteful' photographs of the wedding, and in particular, the Royal Princesses, to appear in either Hello or OK magazine.

What about the numerous times William, Harry and Catherine have appeared in Hello! solely because they attended their friends wedding. This is different perhaps because we're talking about Beatrice & Eugenie and a wedding not in a quaint little church in the English countryside? I'm sure the couples who allowed pictures of their wedding in Hello! because W&C were there would have made something from it, else why agree to it?

...with their mother at 'Branson' events,

Beatrice and Eugenie seem very much to be family orientated girls, I'm sure like most normal people do, find it very hard to say no or back off to your own mother.

Lastly, although I do accept that there will be many opportunities for Beatrice and Eugenie to attend the Monarch's Christmas lunch [which they had to miss whilst they were in Necker], the recent heart operation of Prince Philip [who I hope is now well on the mend] is also a sober reminder that the monarch and her consort are not immortal. I therefore think that however natural it was for Beatrice and Eugenie to want to be with their friend, I just think that the decision could have been wrong....

The Queen and Prince Philip are not immortal, neither are any of the royal family nor anyone in the world. But that should not stop anyone living their life the way they want. Beatrice may die tomorrow, HM might, I might...but i'm still going to go on with my life as normal. If you constantly thought well some member of my family may die today, I best not do what I was going to, you would have no life at all.

I must be honest, I really don't get how if the Queen doesn't have a problem with the York girls attending the Branson wedding why its such an issue.

As for immortality, I am sure the Queen is fully aware of that tomorrow is not promised for everyone and still didn't have a problem with it. I mean, frankly, if its okay for William to miss his cousin's wedding (because of a previous commitment) why isn't it okay for the girls to miss the Christmas luncheon? Its not like they didn't turn up today for the actual Christmas event.

I also fail to see why Andrew would be upset by this. I wish we could all come to some understanding about the York girls. Its like the DM is trying to stir up trouble when there is none. How on earth is their missing a Christmas luncheon a slight on their future roles in the Firm? Either they will be a part of it or not.

And in regards to the Bransons, again since royalty began....there have been plenty of families that have made use of their royal connections...and benefited from them. Nor should the fact that the Branson have dubious connecitons/rumour, etc be an issue. We can certainly talk about some of the friends of the Wales family who got caught up the drug scene and/or opened a club based on their connecitons.

I really hate to bring up other members of the BRF and start comparisons, but once again, it appears that the Yorks are held to a different standard.

Here is the point that just cannot be gotten around: Both for reasons of their own doing and for other reasons beyond their control, the York princesses have a poor public perception. Now, anytime they do something like go to Necker with the Bransons, or party with the Ecclestones, or go out clubbing, they are seen in a negative light -- and not just by the DM. It is unfortunate, but it is true. Diarist's comments show that well beyond the DM, socially they are disapproved and a bad perception has grown up around them.

So, in order to turn things around and get themselves into a position where eventually they can be more normal and not have everything they do dissected by the press and public, they have to be above reproach for a while. No clubbing, no Branson/Ecclestones/Euro trash partying, no hanging out too publicly at social events where their troubled mother is welcome.

That is why there was surprised commentary that they bypassed the Queen's lunch for the Branson wedding. If they were in good standing, I doubt it would have been a big deal and no one would have paid much attention. I just wonder where the PR people are... It's going to take a lot of good behaviour for them to be taken seriously. And Zonk, you are right: it isn't fair, but sometimes fair has nothing to do with it.

I doubt that any of the Yorks would be willing to listen to PR people. Andrew and Sarah appear to have that victim attitude...poor me, the press is picking on me. They don't seem to comprehend that maybe if they changed their ways the press's attitude would change. Instead they almost thumb their nose at the press and the public and do things their way. Unfortunately, Beatrice seems to be following in their footsteps. It doesn't take a great deal of brains to realize that if your parents are routinely criticized for being useless spongers and you don't want to be tarred with the same brush that it might help if you got a job or at least did something useful.

Whether all the talk about the girls joining "the firm" is real or not is another question. Charles has clearly said that he wants to trim things down. Given the public's seemingly constant outcry about the cost of the royals it would seem rather foolish to count on continuing support. The girls, as other of the children, will find themselves further and further down the rungs of the ladder. It would be best if they moved on and got jobs or married. The thing is, no matter what they do they will be criticized. There is so little a junior royal can do in terms of a job that does not draw criticism. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Having said that I do think they should limit their association with the likes of the euro trash types like the Ecclestons .... Branson, I do not think falls in that category. I really do think it is time to give up thoughts of actively being part of the firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom