What is your opinion about Sarah, Duchess of York?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
I am not sure if this a thread or not, and by all means I am not trying to start something :)

But as I read the threads on Charles and Camilla, and Diana it amazes me that many people seem to forgive or least make allowances for the adulterty that was committed by these three. If your pro Charles/Camilla its because they were soul mates and Diana was off her rockers. If you are pro Diana, its because she was lonely as Charles and Camilla had started an affair. All of which makes me wonder, why do some dislike Sarah, Duchess of York? Is it because she too committed adultery against the Andrew, Duke of York. Who appears as the innocent victim? Or is it because she brought shame to the Monarchy?

Let me know what you think?!

Zonk1189 said:
Let me know what you think?!

I've always liked her. She made mistakes but she tried to righten them. Don't want to be the judge here. :)

I don't especially dislike Sarah, in fact she seems like she would be great fun to hang out with, but I think that she gets the worst reactions largely because she is so indiscreet. Although Charles, Diana and Camilla all were involved in sex scandals, Sarah is very very candid with the press about her time in the royal family. Also, I think some people see her as trying to trade on her royal (because although we here know she is not, that is probably what most people assume her to be) status to get jobs and invitations to society events. She also tends to expose her children to a level of publicity that is not ideal by taking them to jet-set type events, and has a tendency to get involved with less than ideal men (I think the most recent boyfriend was charged and possibly convicted of asault). So, while I don't think she is a bad person or morally any worse than the others, she seems the worst suited to being royal (or formerly royal) due to her lack of discretion.

I suspect I would like her as a private acquaintance, to spend time with, lunch, go to the pub or whatever. On the other hand, I don't think she is fitted to be "royal", and that has nothing to do with her divorce or the antics that led up to it. I'm uncomfortable with the way she "blabs" things for broadcast or publication, the way she plays for celebrity and publicity. I think it's a good thing that she worked to pay the debts she had run up, that took gumption and character. I wish she would use her "royal connections" less in her work now; I would respect her very much if she did.

LOL, HRH Elizabeth, I must have been typing my post at the same time you were doing yours, for I didn't see yours until I had submitted mine. We have almost exactly the same opinion!

about Sarah i got the impression that she wants the best of both worlds: the status that being the ex-wife of a Prince gives her and the freedom of doing whatever she wants specially in America, she doesn't want to give up one or another and I believe she has to choose: let Andrew free once and for all and live her own life or get back with him and do whatever is asked of her...

I originally like Sarah.. She had a devilish sparkle to her which made her appear less stuffy then the regular RF.
When she crossed certain lines, she lost myself and millions others. However, she was in so much debt and for getting out of that debt and turning her life around , and becoming much more discreet about her private life, I say I have to admire her..
She has more money now then her ex husband, and although they are on the best of terms, I am sure she is thumbing her nose at them all. Sarah went out and made money , worked hard for it, whereas these members of the RF have all had it handed to them on a silver platter. They would not know what a days work is.Cutting ribbons etc... what a joke..In my books, she raised herself out of the ashes and has surpassed each one of them. I would classify her along with Sir. Richard Branson, whose grade 9 education , never stopped him from doing and getting where he is today!!
Bravo, Sarah!!:)

Katemac63 said:
She has more money now then her ex husband, and although they are on the best of terms, I am sure she is thumbing her nose at them all. Sarah went out and made money , worked hard for it,

What you say is true, Katemac63; however, the reason she has that money is because of her ex-husband's name. Rather than thumbing her nose at then, I would hope that in her heart she is grateful that she had the royal connection and thus there were those who were willing to trade a great deal of money to have her name and face associated with their business. It's not as if she would have the money she does now had she just been the ex-girlfriend of Paddy McNally. And, to her credit though, I'm sure she would be the first to acknowledge that.

alot of you have mentioned that she shouldn't use her name, but i have to disagree on that because
1. even if she didn't people still know who she is, prince andrew's ex-wife
2. its legally hers.
3. it was the least they could have given her, she went into debt because the lifestyle she(and other royals) lived demanded money and they wouldn't give her enough, she paid it off BY HERSELF, she was paid a measly £500,000 whilst Diana got £25,000,000, she brought up her daughters well and andrew himself has said in many interviews that he loves her and shares the blame because he wasn't there.

She seems to be a very devoted mother, a loving ex-wife and a successful businesswoman. Did she get to keep her tiaras, and if so, why doesn't she wear them more often?

She seems to really love her girls and Andrew. What more can two people do for their children then Sarah and Andrew. They have always put their problems to the side and put the girls first. Most people can not do that.

I never cared for her, sorry. I remember in the early days of her marriage, when she and Andrew went out on public apearances together, she always seemed to make a fool of herself, i.e., the expressions she'd make, the stupid remarks (jokes), the rolling of the eyes, etc. She just seemed to me so crude. I'm not saying she should have behaved like a stiff emotionless robot like some have criticized the RF for being, but have some tact. She was just way too over the top, not just for a royal but for anyone in the public eye. Maybe I'm just more of a conservative but I do believe there is a proper way of acting in public. I think she was a major embarassment for Prince Andrew and the RF and I don't really blame them for distancing themselves from her. I will say, though, that I give her credit for pulling herself out of her extensive debt, for never speaking badly (at least publically) of the RF and for seeming to really love her daughters. I don't think she's a terrible person, she just wasn't meant - in my opinion - to be a royal. And I think if I had to be in her presence for too long, she'd work my last nerve.

I don't care for her mannerisms. She talks too much; she can't be trusted with information because when it is condusive for her, she will tell it no matter who it is. She seeks publicity too much for my liking; living off of her husband's/children's family name. Most royals do not seek publicity, but since she is no longer royal, maybe she feels that she can. Discretion should be a keyword in her life. And I hate to say it, but it seems as if her daughter Beatrice has that publicity seeking desire just as her mother. Hopefully, when they become actual adults, they will relocate to England and live with their father and interact with their royal family. Then maybe they can learn how royals should act (even though some of them leave alot to desire). I hope that I am not too caustic for my fellow board members, but I have no tolerance for Sarah or her ways nor did I ever. I thought that it would be a mistake from the beginning.

Bella;

You and I posted probably at the same time. Very similar in opinions.

Bella said:
if I had to be in her presence for too long, she'd work my last nerve.
That was funny :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I like her and dislike her at the same time. I admire the fact that she fixed her life and got it in order and that she has not bad mouthed the RF since her divorce, she has devoted herself to the upbringing of her daughters, and that she paid off her debt by herself.
She seems to have become more mello with age, but not enough. As someone said earlier in an above post, I think it is her mannerisms that get on my nerves. She is still too loud whenever she speaks. She still lacks decorum and seems, to me at least, to flaunt herself in front of the camera whenever there is one around.
She has definately toned down her apperance, and she looks good. But she learned this the hard way, and for that I feel sorry for her.
I guess if she could conduct herself in a better manner, I would like her much better. As it stands, I admire what she has achieved thus in life, but I dislike her mannerisms. And since I have no patience, it would grow old on me and get on my last nerve rather quickly.

Sarah's alright in my book. The only thing that irks me is that she was not part of the BRF for that long but it seems that she makes sure people know that she's involved with them. Yes, she has given birth to two beautiful daughters who are in line to the throne but I wish her "royal connection" was not played up so much. I know she is Sarah, Duchess of York but she is no longer officially involved with the BRF and the title was given out of courtesy.

I definitely wouldn't like her as my friend. She's too impetuous and indiscreet for that. But I respect her for not allowing all the negative comments to get her down. She pulled herself out of debt and has really turned her life around. I can't help but respect someone who manages to go from being despised to turning over a new leaf and doing something to help others. She's really handled her divorce well (no teary Panorama nonsense for Sarah, just frank, and refreshing honesty), remained friendly with the father of her children, and has two daughters who simply adore her. If Beatrice and Eugenie are happy with her, who am I to complain? They're the only ones whose opinions really matter.

i think she and andrew did right stayinh friends after the divorce but some of the things she does are not that good. eventhough she is no longer part of the RF she still shoul act decently because 1. her ex husband is a prominent member of the Rf, 2. her daughters are part of the RF too and 3. she used to be and should how important "image" is...like the reported flirting she did with david at the latter and his wife victoria's recent party to think she was with one of her daughters (not to mention the beyonce dance step she tried to copy)
i could not imagine her daughters embarrassment that night...

sesa said:
I like her and dislike her at the same time.
Same here. Totally with you on most points. Her exploiting the BRF to THIS DAY is in my book a bit 'out there' and cheap-seeming. Definitely not chic.

On the other hand, here's why I overall like her. It comes down to one moment. Watching Diana's funeral on tv sometime that fateful week in september '97, I was noticing with a bit of dismay how, well, unmoved <all> members of the Royal Family seemed in regards to the nature of the event. Even Diana's own sons had expressions on their faces that looked more like they were attending the funeral of a great-aunt they never knew that well than the final goodbye to their own mother.

But not Sarah. She was the ONLY one who looked sincerely <devastated> by the whole turn of events. She was the only one who had an expression on her face that told you that this was a person who had just lost someone incredibly close to her heart, who had lost a <sister>. The rest of the royal fold kept their stiff upper lips, well, stiff. They might as well have been at a remembrence service for fallen war heroes of World War 1, they all looked to care that much for the event, which is not at all. Not Sarah.
For this and this alone I like her overall and would give her the benefit of the doubt, always. Because that day she proved to me that here was a 'mensch', here was someone who really cared about losing Diana, again, unlike most of her in-laws.

I believe the majority of her problems came from the messed up perception of what life was supposed to be like for a royal. She thought it would be living like a wealthy society wife, not a lifetime of engagements, meeting diplomatic heads of state, dressing like a royal, not a starlet from Hollywood. She had a personality that tended toward the excessive in all things and was unable or unwilling to dicipline herself.

3. she used to be and should how important "image" is...like the reported flirting she did with david at the latter and his wife victoria's recent party to think she was with one of her daughters (not to mention the beyonce dance step she tried to copy)
i could not imagine her daughters embarrassment that night...

She seems to think of herself as perpetually young. She doesn't beheve appropriately for someone her age and never behaved appropriately for someone of her stature and position when she was HRH The Duchess of York. She really cheapened the title and the idea as to how royalty is supposed to behave.

She is still too loud whenever she speaks. She still lacks decorum and seems, to me at least, to flaunt herself in front of the camera whenever there is one around.

She is far too boisterous and overwhelming. < ed disparaging conjecture. Warren >.

Last edited by a moderator:
soCal girl said:
Sarah's alright in my book. The only thing that irks me is that she was not part of the BRF for that long but it seems that she makes sure people know that she's involved with them. Yes, she has given birth to two beautiful daughters who are in line to the throne but I wish her "royal connection" was not played up so much. I know she is Sarah, Duchess of York but she is no longer officially involved with the BRF and the title was given out of courtesy.
You make a valid point. hadn't occurred to me, but it's true: Sarah's turn as a member of the BRF was a long long time ago. I agree whole heartedly: She should leave the past the past and move on. Thing is, she can't in a way, because she is milking her royal past for all it's worth. It's what she does now for a living and I agree with all of you who say this is pretty demeaning, or at least becoming that way. She should wake up, smell the coffee and get herself a <real> career.

Everyone has been talking about how hard she works, but she works hard exactly at what? Am a bit puzzled here. She flies around the world, sure, to look at sick kids or whatever, but she'd never been invited if it hadn't been for the fact she was married once to the second in line to the British throne (the only throne the American audience recognizes and pays dearly for in terms of purchasing tabloid magazines. Don't try to ask anyone on the street here in the good old US of A who, say, Maxima is: the majority wouldn't have a clue, and not give a fig, either.)

The British royals are IT in America and Sarah knows that and milks it, to death and beyond, and I agree, it's getting old.

soCal girl said:

I don't think the title was given out of courtesy. It really is her name. If she had married Andrew Williams of Washington, DC she would still be Sarah Williams (unless you tell the courty you would rather go back to your maiden name) So she is using her title correctly as a divorced English peeress (I believe that is the correct term).

I like Sarah. Yes, like many, I can find her a little too much at times. Sometimes when she says things about the girls, I am like...MYSTERY SARAH. Sometimes you don't have to share EVERYTHING. But hey, if her girls are complaining about her sharing too much information about their lives, who am I too complain.

I admire the fact that she accumulated a HUGE debt and managed to pay it off and yes, she trades on her connections but can anyone name someone who hasn't. I mean, what is she supposed to do get a real ordinary job. She doesn't come from money. I also respect the fact that most of the business enterprises that she does are not in England so that she doesn't totally embarass the RF.

In regards to Andrew. From my observations (here on the East Coast). I think that they have an enduring love. Maybe not as passoniate as when they first got married. But rather a mature respectful love. Maybe Andrew won't remarry because that person is not Sarah and Sarah wouldn't remarry him because of his family (I am thinking Prince Phillip). IMO when the Queen and Prince Phillip pass (not that I am advocating this but its a fact of life) something will change in their relationship. Mark my words.

Last edited:
Sarah, Duchess Of York has shown herself to be an inspiration to many with her charity work and weight watchers role. She has had to raise two daughters and ensure they are aware of their priveleged royal position and overall she has done a great job from my perspective. I have met her once and I thought she was lovely. The pay out she got from the royal family was very small and she has had to work to pay off debts , which she has and should be congratulated for doing this.

I like Sarah, although she's done her share of bloody stupid things after marrying Andrew. I think she was very young and not really given to quiet introspection, a bit of an airhead. But she's pulled herself out of her problems and learned from her mistakes. She didn't fail to get up when she was down, and for that I greatly respect her.

I am like many of you. I like Sarah for some things she does but, not for others. I have the utmost respect for the women for getting her life reorganize and for getting out of serious debt after her divorce from Andrew and her charity work. I also believe she is an excellent mother who really adores her girls. I do feel though that sometimes she over does things and beats it to death. In my opinion she does use her former royal statis to her advantage in the US.

Sarah Ferguson was a flamboyant "party" girl before Andrew ever met her. He obviously knew how she was and fell in love with her anyway, and, eventually married her. Like it or not, she is who she is. Some people who are not born royal will never adapt to the life. At least she got out while she and Andrew were still able to maintain a good relationship. She didn't wait until they broke her spirit like poor Princess Masako of Japan who is still recovering from a nervous breakdown and she never bad mouthed her former in-laws no matter how badly they treated her.

As far as "letting Andrew go", I wasn't aware that he was desperately trying to get her back. It seems to me that, being the 4th in line to the throne, he could certainly renounce his claim and remarry her if that is what he really wanted and his family was against it. She does have more money that he does so her living with him is not an act of charity on his part. Maybe, :eek: , they are just genuinely happier this way. Also, it is quite correct that she uses the style of a divorced peeress. It is certainly her right like it would be for any other divorced peeress. It is her legal name.

As for her cashing in on her royal status, well, I can think of worse things to do than writing (apparently very good) childrens books and casting a light on fighting obesity (which is becoming a national epidemic in Britain, but still treated like a dirty secret). Oh yes, lets not forget that she is teaching Beatrice to do it too. The absolute shame of outing yourself as someone with dyslexia! Because other teenagers who suffer from it would have absolutely no comfort in knowing that even princesses are not spared. Yes, Sarah is truly vulgar indeed.

kimebear said:
Sarah Ferguson was a flamboyant "party" girl before Andrew ever met her...
And from what I remember, Andrew's nickname was "Randy Andy" before his marriage. They were/are very similar in temperment. I think they would have been the perfect couple. The difference between them was that Andrew appeared to have settled down after he got married, whereas Sarah didn't until after their divorce.

Incas said:
And from what I remember, Andrew's nickname was "Randy Andy" before his marriage. They were/are very similar in temperment. I think they would have been the perfect couple. The difference between them was that Andrew appeared to have settled down after he got married, whereas Sarah didn't until after their divorce.

Yes, I was quite surprised how much Andrew has settled down. I still remember pictures of him outside of the burning Windsor castle during the Queen's annus horribilis when it seemed like many had turned against the Queen. Despite his own troubles, he stood by his mother and stood up to the plate and became the point person for what was going on at the castle, making press conferences, answering questions.

I think memories of Randy Andy were long gone by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom