What is your opinion about Sarah, Duchess of York?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tzu An said:
It think it boils down to work ethic, really. Sophie was used to a responsible lifestyle and could understand the need for decency and professionalism.

You seem to have forgotten the 'scandal' that Sophie was caught out with - the fake sheik.

Jo of Palatine said:
Are you really saying that ordinary people don't find mates for marriage? Wonder where all these married couples come from, then... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Oh yeah, I thought that was a weird post too. Of course ordinary guys find wives too. Ordinary people get married all the time. Not only princes and princesses get married.

Furienna said:
So you mean the Fergusons knew the royal family before Sarah's marriage to Prince Andrew? I never knew that.

Yes, they were acquainted; one of the photos that showed up in a lot of places when the engagement was announced was a photo of the Queen and possibly Major Ferguson, along with his two girls and Prince Andrew when they were aged around 10, give or take.

Major Ferguson was in the Life Guards and was one of the soldiers who rode near the Queen's carriage during parades.

I think she has done an excellent job at repairing her image and has shown a tremendous amount of courage to own up to her mistakes. She is a great mother with two well-adjusted daughters, a strong work ethic (but she had to learn that the hard way), and is not afraid to admit mistakes. She and Prince Andrew have shown a united front in raising their daughters equally.

I certainly believe she was in total love with him. My God, it was so blatantly obvious, no amateur can act like that. They were 10000% in love with each other.

Jo of Palatine said:
Are you really saying that ordinary people don't find mates for marriage? Wonder where all these married couples come from, then... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
That's not what I am saying at all. I'm saying that what woman wouldn't want to marry a Prince and that women (commoners) that do end up marrying them might not be marrying the Man but the Prince and all that entails. Let's just say Sarah met Andrew somewhere and didn't know he was a prince she might think he was a nice guy, etc. but might wave him off. However, I hardly doubt she'd wave him off if she found out he was a Prince. Let's face it, ALOT of people are like that.

Bella said:
That's not what I am saying at all. I'm saying that what woman wouldn't want to marry a Prince and that women (commoners) that do end up marrying them might not be marrying the Man but the Prince and all that entails. Let's just say Sarah met Andrew somewhere and didn't know he was a prince she might think he was a nice guy, etc. but might wave him off. However, I hardly doubt she'd wave him off if she found out he was a Prince. Let's face it, ALOT of people are like that.

I doubt Sarah would have waved Andrew off no matter who he was. They get on like a house on fire and Andrew was, and still is, rather good looking. :)

I don't see anything wrong with wanting to get to know a prince if he ends up at your table. After all, if you are at the same place at the same time you must have something in common and it's perfectly natural for a woman to be interested in a prominent and well heeled male who could provide a good home for her and their offspring. I'd only consider it wrong to encourage the relationship primarily because he is a prince, because you like the idea of being a princess. Again, I don't think this happened in Sarah's case.

rominet09 said:
I can't stand her that's all
On a very stupid level she should stop wearing short skirts, her legs are awfull

As much as I like Sarah, I do think she'd look much better in skirts that cover her knees. And looser jackets.

Elspeth said:
It's really to share opinions. Discussions about current events and news should go in this thread.

Usually because a new person finds the thread and adds an opinion. Since most opinions are either for, against, or indifferent, it's unlikely anything really new is going to be added, but people are still entitled to post their opinions regardless.

Thank you Elspeth... this is precisely my point.

Alexandria said:
I can see your point about this rchat. Beatrice and Eugenie are princesses as well as being Sarah's daughters and it wasn't necessary to make her host feel stupid by not having addressed them properly. She could've easily said, "My daughters, The Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are doing well, thank you." Or simply "My daughter are doing well, thank you."

When you hear celebrities being interviewed the more humble ones don't insistently add their equally famous boyfriends/husbands, girlfriends/wives, parents or siblings into their interviews. When someone asks Kate Hudson how her mom is, she doesn't say "My mother, Goldie Hawn, is doing well." She just says, "My mom is doing well." Likewise for Catherine Zeta-Jones of her husband Michael Douglas. She simply says "Michael is doing well."

I think that such emphasis occurs (for royals and for celebrities alike) when there is an insecurity in the person that people might not realize who they are related to. In the business world you can see it at meeting when someone repeatedly mentions that they are the CEO or Director of X at a meeting when clearly everyone in the room would know who such individuals are.

I think at heart Sarah is at least a bit insecure and with her daughters growing up and taking to the public stage more on their own, she won't be as prominent in the media as she used to because the "field" of royals is expanding. William and Harry have always been in the public spotlight, but now Beatrice and Eugenie are venturing into the public spotlight into their own, Zara and Peter Phillips are attracting some attention with respect to their love lives, as is Gabriella Windsor, and Frederick attracts attention for his own antics. And Camilla has certainly gotten a lot more media coverage since marrying Charles and now that she is Camilla the Good, and out and about performing royal duties, all these individuals are crowding Sarah off the stage and making her less of a presence in the world. Such a loss of attention could affect her Weight Watchers contract, too, since less media attention on her means that she is less effective as a "celebrity spokesperson."

Yes, exactly Alexandria. And I agree Sarah is insecure. I think that's partly why she values/exploits her link with royalty... it makes her feel important. And although we're all insecure to a point, that's no excuse to act in an unclassy way.

ysbel said:
I think you are misunderstanding me. Regardless of whether you think Sarah has a right to correct David Letterman on titles; she married into a family where that was the expected behavior so I don't think you can read the fact that she is insecure out of this incident. I don't think its a coincidence or a sign of insecurity that Margaret and Anne both put a commoner in their place and said the same thing on different occasions. More likely its a sign of a family that was taught to respond like that and while Sarah didn't get the hang of acting royal with decorum, she probably got it drummed into her head enough to not let outsiders get too chummy in talking about her children to respond like that when others are getting chummy about referring to her children.

Sarah is insecure and I personally don't hold that against her; we all have our insecurities and they show up in different ways but I don't think this particular incident is a sign of insecurity.

Well, I think you misunderstood me. Sarah wasn't correcting David about "titles" per se. She was emphasizing that they're Princesses. As if to say, My daughters are Princesses! Not so much defending... more like bragging. She was on a late night American talk show doing informal chit chat. She was not on some "official function" in an official capacity like Margaret and Ann probably were. And Bella's right, David Letterman probably doesn't know squat about royalty. But regardless, it was an unnecessary response and it came across as rather pretentious.
And I don't think the royal family would criticize her because of some talk show host asking about, "Beatrice and Eugenie". Like someone said, Sarah herself has referred to the Queen and other royal members in an informal way.

Last edited:
Roslyn said:
As much as I like Sarah, I do think she'd look much better in skirts that cover her knees. And looser jackets.

I have to strongly disagree! The Duchess has always had wonderful legs and she has always quite rightly made an effort to show them off!

I think Sarah is still a "pleaser" - trying to be everything to everybody. She obviously enjoys the attention she receives in the US and her "celebrity" status and I think she tries to play it off like she's "one of the guys" and just a down-to-earth working single mom. Yet it's apparent she still defers to the royal family and her acceptance by them and her inclusion with them are highly important to her. She rather reminds me of the girl in school who's accepted by most of the social cliques but not quite part of the popular crowd - of whom she would give her eye teeth to be linked to. There's something sorta sad about it.

I think it's sad the way the Duchess has been treated by the Royal family. It seems that there is a lack of forgiveness towards anyone outside the family who makes any kind of human mistake (and you can make the same point for the late Princess of Wales.)
Why do we feel sympathy for Diana and her treatment at the hands of the Royal family yet lack sympathy for the Duchess.
That aside, I am thrilled that Sarah has managed to make an incredible success of her life and what's more, the Duchess continues to prove herself in whatever arena she chooses.

servingsophie said:
I think it's sad the way the Duchess has been treated by the Royal family. It seems that there is a lack of forgiveness towards anyone outside the family who makes any kind of human mistake (and you can make the same point for the late Princess of Wales.

Sarah went beyond 'human mistake', she was loud and unable to exhibit at least some of the decorum that most people expected from the wife of a man risking his life fighting in the Falklands, the fact that he was a Prince as well, made it ten times worse.

Sarah still seems to believe that to hold anyones attention and to gain the limelight, all she has to do is show a little more leg or a little more cleavage. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
servingsophie said:
Why do we feel sympathy for Diana and her treatment at the hands of the Royal family yet lack sympathy for the Duchess.
I think it's because Diana played up the victim role while Sarah did not. Diana was also less threatening, I think, than Sarah. She was, after all, the shy willowy kindergarten teacher swept up by the dashing worldly Prince of Wales and then ~ horror ~ betrayed by said POW and his longtime mistress, the less attractive less demure Camilla. Whereas Sarah was this big boistrous red-head spitfire who lived larger than life and wasn't ashamed to do so and then ~ horror ~ cheated on her quiet low-key husband (and a naval man to boot) often in the presence of her two young children. I think in many eyes, Diana was the one who got cheated on while Sarah was the one who did the cheating.

Yes. I was thinking about it, and Diana seems to be a different matter all together. Diana managed to be loved by the people, while Sarah couldn't do that.

Furienna said:
Yes. I was thinking about it, and Diana seems to be a different matter all together. Diana managed to be loved by the people, while Sarah couldn't do that.

I think Sarah, at least in the beginning was loved by the "people." Upon her marriage, she was considered to be a breath of fresh air but made some mistakes (prior to the infidelity) that she couldn't bounce back from (Royal Knockout, Andrew absences, etc.) She then couldn't do anything right from that point on. Called names i.e. Duchess of Pork while pregnant, leaving Beatrice to spend time with her husband.

I also think that like Diana her mother's abandonment (even though she became close to her mother and stepfather) played a role in her need to be accepted. Its a shame that she couldn't convey it accurately to her husband and because he wasn't around much (being in the Navy) couldn't see that needed that she needed constant praise.

I often wonder what would happened if Andrew had been at home a little more. Or when he was at home, if they had more "quality" time together.

Well, I'm not Brittish, and I'm not old enough to remember much about when Sarah and Andrew still were married, so I might exaggerate things. But as I remember it from the 90s, it was rather clear then, that "Fergie" wasn't as loved as "Lady Di".

Furienna said:
Well, I'm not Brittish, and I'm not old enough to remember much about when Sarah and Andrew still were married, so I might exaggerate things. But as I remember it from the 90s, it was rather clear then, that "Fergie" wasn't as loved as "Lady Di".

I am not British either and probably slight older:sad: so I remember distinctly (at least via Royalty Monthy and Majesty) the criticisms Sarah received for some of those events. The Royal Knockout was a charity event coordinated by Prince Edward. Four Royals were in charge of the teams (Edward, Andrew, Sarah and Anne!) and I believe each of the teams (with celebrities in the mix) did a mixture of events, antics. I am sure some of the British members can expand. ANYWAY..it received a lot of criticism at the time..with the common theme that no royal should behave in that way. Like I said...those four pariticpated but the way the furor went down...you would have thought it was just Sarah!

And by the time Eugenie was born....the rose was definitely off the bloom and the breathe of fresh air that Sarah had brought into the marriage was definitely stale!

From the time of the Yorks' marriage in 1986 to about 1988, Sarah was "the breath of fresh air". At one point Charles asked Diana why she couldn't be more like Sarah.

I think Sarah is a very likeable woman but rather impulsive, sort of like a labrador puppy that jumps around without much thought to the consequences. I don't think she's malicious or mean, she just gets into trouble sometimes.

iowabelle said:
From the time of the Yorks' marriage in 1986 to about 1988, Sarah was "the breath of fresh air". At one point Charles asked Diana why she couldn't be more like Sarah.

I think Sarah is a very likeable woman but rather impulsive, sort of like a labrador puppy that jumps around without much thought to the consequences. I don't think she's malicious or mean, she just gets into trouble sometimes.

I would definitely agree that Sarah at times has been her worst enemy. But its interesting to note that the same newspapers that adored her when she married Andrew definitely had no problem taking her down. Again...I realize that she brought a lot of it on herself. In reference to the Sarah/Diana thing...from where I stood (across the pond) the situation in the 90's (before the breakup of both marriages) the way Sarah and Diana were portrayed in the press is similiar to William and Harry today. Good vs. Bad. At that time Diana could do no wrong and Sarah could do no right.

I felt very badly for Sarah when she was "The Duchess of Pork." She went through some bad times with the absence of Andrew, the difficult pregnancies, the weight problem (and the constant comparisons to "lovely" but bulimic Diana were very unfair).

I think the best you can say about Sarah is that it is remarkable she has remained friends with Andrew and that they have raised two lovely girls in difficult circumstances. So, she obviously has good qualities!

(When my friend saw her speak in Des Moines, Iowa, she was very impressed with how personable Sarah was -- and how eager to please her audience.)

It was like that I saw it from Sweden too. Diana was beautiful and everybody's sweetheart, and Sarah was just trouble for the royal family.

Skydragon said:
Sarah went beyond 'human mistake', she was loud and unable to exhibit at least some of the decorum

Interesting, skydragon. Do you equate loudness and unable to exhibit decorum as a lack of uprightness, moral standing, character?

But Andrew did his Falklands duties quite a while before he married Sarah, so it's not like she was cheating on him while he was at war.

I'm going to stop before I say too much more and ignite a quarrel, but I think that both parties contributed to the end of the marriage... and they seem to get along with each other now.

iowabelle said:

Now she reminds me more of a Great Dane, a huge dog that is always always a puppy in his head.:ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:
Sarah went beyond 'human mistake', she was loud and unable to exhibit at least some of the decorum that most people expected from the wife of a man risking his life fighting in the Falklands, the fact that he was a Prince as well, made it ten times worse.

Sarah still seems to believe that to hold anyones attention and to gain the limelight, all she has to do is show a little more leg or a little more cleavage. :rolleyes:

If you're going to accuse the Duchess of something, at least get your history correct. The Falklands war had ended 4 years before Sarah married Andrew.

I'm British and remember the period with great fondness. The Duchess was afforded an equal amount of coverage by the British press during her marriage to Prince Andrew and was equally accepted and loved by the British people.

The Duchess is a survivor and has had to use all her skills and guile to make an amazing success of her life and I will always defend her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom