The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

A report from the Mirror.

Friends of Prince Andrew's paedophile pal Jeffrey Epstein 'spared child sex charges' - Mirror Online

Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't think we'd heard the last of this. Roberts might not have succeeded in joining in the action, but the action is still underway.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Virginia Roberts, 31, is suing Ghislaine Maxwell, 53, who she alleges set her up to have sex with paedophile Epstein, 62, and his friends at the age of 15

Prince Andrew could be called to give evidence in a law suit being brought by his billionaire pal Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged sex slave.

Virginia Roberts, 31, is suing Ghislaine Maxwell, 53, who she alleges set her up to have sex with paedophile Epstein, 62, and his friends at the age of 15.

Roberts has alleged she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew in Epstein’s New York home.

She could call the prince, 55, who has always denied any wrongdoing, as a witness in the defamation action.
Read more: Prince Andrew faces court appearance in 'sex slave' case against Jeffrey Epstein - Mirror Online
Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Majesty

The important words as "could be called." Personally, I don't think that's going to happen; not because I'm a cynic, but because I don't think Prince Andrew was involved in the shady goings-on.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^ I agree. Mirror just wants the headline.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

Virginia Roberts is a bore, looking for an additional fifteen minutes to reap some extra $$, IMO.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm always hoping that none of this stuff is true, but I'm not dismissing these claims very easy and trashing this young lady.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Just like any other plaintiff, if what Roberts alleges is true she is entitled to make her claim for damages and recover, and I hope she's successful. If Andrew is subpoenaed to give evidence, he should be treated like any other potential witness and should respond to the subpoena and tell the truth.

I'm rather curious about the legal issues like whether there is a limitation period and how she overcame it.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Just like any other plaintiff, if what Roberts alleges is true she is entitled to make her claim for damages and recover, and I hope she's successful. If Andrew is subpoenaed to give evidence, he should be treated like any other potential witness and should respond to the subpoena and tell the truth.

I'm rather curious about the legal issues like whether there is a limitation period and how she overcame it.
The article is poorly worded, but it looks like -from a glance at just this article that Roberts is suing Maxwell for comments made this last year, calling Roberts a liar, stating that her claims were "obvious lies" amounted to defamation.

Generally, the statutes of limitations for defamation in the U.S. are very short. As I recall, it's only about one year in New York (although may have changed, but I doubt it). Although it was filed in Federal Court, defamation is really a state claim. The Federal Court will therefore apply the law of the jurisdiction where Maxwell made the statement, including its applicable statute of limitations. (Unless there is some federal defamation statute - but I doubt it). So if she is seeking redress for comments made this year, she's well within the statute.

If this suit survives the dismissal stage, it really puts Andrew in possibly a worse position than the Jeffrey Epstein case. The 'obvious lies" involved whether she was coerced to have sex with Andrew. Therefore, whether she did or didn't and who did the coercing is going to be a pivotal issue in this case.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

The statute of limitations is one year in New York and Maxwell made her claims earlier this year - so she is within the statute of limitations. Had Maxwell said nothing, Roberts wouldn't have been able to do anything.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The statute of limitations is one year in New York and Maxwell made her claims earlier this year - so she is within the statute of limitations. Had Maxwell said nothing, Roberts wouldn't have been able to do anything.
Andrew obviously has better advisers.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Andrew obviously has better advisers.
Haha, that's what I was thinking.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Ah! So we're talking about what was said this year. I read the article very quickly and missed that.

I will follow this with great interest, and I look forward to watching Andrew squirming to avoid a subpoena to give evidence.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:34 AM
Majesty

What has Andrew ever done to deserve that?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Ah! So we're talking about what was said this year. I read the article very quickly and missed that.

I will follow this with great interest, and I look forward to watching Andrew squirming to avoid a subpoena to give evidence.
I don't revel in watching other people suffer like that. If the girl is telling the truth I hope she gets some kind of justice and if she's not I hope she is exposed. Nothing more or less.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:42 AM
Courtier

Hanging around with a convicted peadophile? I thought this was all over because she was out of time. Financially I believe she refused money from Epstein if she had gotten some like all the others and there are a few she would be unable to talk about what happened. I doubt Andrew will be called and Maxwell should of kept quiet cause now she can bring in her side of the story etc and as we all know that seems to include Prince Andrew. If what she has said is true then she deserves some sort of victory over him not being trashed.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Virginia Roberts' testimony will indeed be very interesting, if the case gets that far!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I don't revel in watching other people suffer like that. If the girl is telling the truth I hope she gets some kind of justice and if she's not I hope she is exposed. Nothing more or less.
When I say I look forward to watching Andrew squirm, I mean I am fairly sure that he will be subpoenaed and that if he is he will try to avoid his obligations under the subpoena, and I look forward to seeing him made to comply with it. Especially when they have initially denied any wrongdoing.

I don't revel in watching other people suffer per se, but I do get a thrill when people who think they are special and above the law are cut down to size and made to comply with the obligations the rest of us have no option but to obey because we can't buy our way out of it or call on friends in high places to make it go away.

Because of Maxwell's loose lips incident recently, Roberts has another chance to press her claim in court, and if what she says is true I hope she succeeds. And if Andrew did what she says he did, I want to see him squirm on the hook, and I will revel in watching that happen.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
When I say I look forward to watching Andrew squirm, I mean I am fairly sure that he will be subpoenaed and that if he is he will try to avoid his obligations under the subpoena, and I look forward to seeing him made to comply with it. Especially when they have initially denied any wrongdoing.

I don't revel in watching other people suffer per se, but I do get a thrill when people who think they are special and above the law are cut down to size and made to comply with the obligations the rest of us have no option but to obey because we can't buy our way out of it or call on friends in high places to make it go away.

Because of Maxwell's loose lips incident recently, Roberts has another chance to press her claim in court, and if what she says is true I hope she succeeds. And if Andrew did what she says he did, I want to see him squirm on the hook, and I will revel in watching that happen.
Ok, now I understand more! :)
Old 09-23-2015, 07:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

The three places where she claimed that she slept with Andrew she was over the legal age of consent at the time remember so that even if he did sleep with her - and unless there was another person in the room to witness that it will be a 'he said and she said' type of situation.

It won't really prove anything - he will deny it, she will continue to push it and there is no evidence either way.