The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Richard Palmer, the royal reporter for the Daily Express made the comment if Andrew was a government figure, a MP for example he would have been put out to pasture years ago. Too much baggage over the years.

Fair or not, when scandal of this level is involved people fall on their swords or they are pushed.

I think if this 'scandal' continues with any steam or legs, someone at BP needs to sit Andrew down and tell him to do the right thing.
But what should Andrew do? Members of the royal family don't just 'disappear' - unless they are the Duke of Windsor.

He can't just retire from public life into a private job, like an MP who steps down, unless he...drops his HRH and becomes a private citizen, I guess.

Not that I don't think there should be consequences for Andrew, but what should they be? What can he really do (besides give up all international trade visits...which, to a large extent, he already did in 2011)?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

If he speaks at Davos about all this, we will know he has NOT retained counsel. Counsel's first advice will be to never utter a word about this.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
If he speaks at Davos about all this, we will know he has NOT retained counsel. Counsel's first advice will be to never utter a word about this.
True, very true...
Old 01-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think he will say anything directly about it. More along the line of his work , it's importance, how much he enjoys it and will continue to do it

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
But what should Andrew do? Members of the royal family don't just 'disappear' - unless they are the Duke of Windsor.

He can't just retire from public life into a private job, like an MP who steps down, unless he...drops his HRH and becomes a private citizen, I guess.

Not that I don't think there should be consequences for Andrew, but what should they be? What can he really do (besides give up all international trade visits...which, to a large extent, he already did in 2011)?
I don't now what the answer is. Something needs to be done because although he resigned his trade position we are back to headlines like this

Air Miles Andy flies again: Duke of York visited 15 countries and clocked up 67,000 miles in 2014 - Telegraph

Perception begins to become reality in the court of public opinion and although I know its not fair the Epstein affair will haunt him and in turn the BRF for a long time to come, regardless of whether Andrew is innocent of the allegations.

Like you say, he can't be fired because he's unaccountable to anyone but the Queen and she seems to have turned a blind eye to his shenanigans over the years.

His appearance in Davos doesn't help either. Although not officially representing the British Government, many people won't make the distinction and think its business as usual for Randy Andy.

Charles must be livid because its yet another distraction from the transition that is taking place slowly but surely.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's a lot of travel with golf trips in between. Someone must have taken their eye off the ball for it to happen again.
Really starting to wonder what's going on and is it all just fun and games for the royals now. I'm finding it hard to defend them to my republic friends

Old 01-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Majesty

I am amazed at the responses on this thread. Some have him guilty of debaunching an innocent and think banishing him from public life, or is it the UK, is the answer.

Others say, hang on a minute, has he broken the law? Has he been charged with a criminal offense? No? Then what the hell is with the flog him and bury him brigade. Due process? Guilty by association more like because the niceties of the law don't apply to Andrew because of who he is.

Question for our US members: Is Alan Dershowitz getting this sort of publicity and heat?
Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if there is anyone who tallys up the air miles accumulated by business/government executives who do the sort of work that Andrew does. The air miles tag, after all, came about for it's use in the tabloids .... as did waity Katie.

Regarding the question of Alan Dershowitz ... to my knowledge he is not getting the same kind of publicity, however I could be wrong.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am amazed at the responses on this thread. Some have him guilty of debaunching an innocent and think banishing him from public life, or is it the UK, is the answer.

Others say, hang on a minute, has he broken the law? Has he been charged with a criminal offense? No? Then what the hell is with the flog him and bury him brigade. Due process? Guilty by association more like because the niceties of the law don't apply to Andrew because of who he is.

Question for our US members: Is Alan Dershowitz getting this sort of publicity and heat?
No, not at all, but he fills different shoes altogether.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein Controversy

Could someone tell me what " sort of work " Andrew does now. I thought all the overseas business etc was taken off him. Sorry if everyone else understands but I'm confused as I thought he was doing work for youth employment as in trades etc in UK

Old 01-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

No. Not many people care about him and he is not representing anything, nor born to the position he fills. Plus, have you noticed he has kept himself low key.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post

Sure he can.
He wouldn't have to give up his title, but he could easily retire into the country, live quietly, and stop representing the RF. He could occupy himself with golf and field sports, stop the travel, stop the partying with questionable characters, stop scrounging for money.

Eventually people would just forget about him (provided he doesn't get involved in any more scandals).
Old 01-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

There are extraordinarily hard working senior members of the royal family that you can point to when republicans pounce, royal rob. Charles, Anne, Sophie Wessex, for instance, and look at how the Queen and Prince Philip soldier on at their ages.

With regard to Andrew, in a way it wouldn't really matter if the court action in the US stopped tomorrow. Over the years there has been just too much baggage and as it stands now his reputation is in tatters. It's gone past the point of being redeemable.This latest mess just tops it off.

Nobody at BP will do anything about him but in my opinion the greatest favour the grey men there could do for the Royal family's own reputation would be to suggest to the Queen that Andrew no longer represents her at any functions in the future..

If this scandal continues on and it looks as if it will, voices will grow louder for HM to do something about her son. It's already starting on the Internet blogs. I hear it among my own English friends.

He must and should retire into private life. I don't care what he does with his time after that. He can play golf all day if he wants.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Could someone tell me what " sort of work " Andrew does now. I thought all the overseas business etc was taken off him. Sorry if everyone else understands but I'm confused as I thought he was doing work for youth employment as in trades etc in UK

He represents The Queen and the Government both in the UK and overseas to promote Britain and British interests. Due to his contacts in the Middle East and Asia he is still being used, where it is felt he can be of assistance to Britain in these areas.

He also undertakes a number of engagements related to his charities e.g. Outward Bound, and his military positions.

He may have visited 15 countries last year but that was in 4 official overseas trips so he would visit multiple countries in one trip.

Charles went on 5 overseas trips last year and visited numerous countries, as did Edward and Harry.

The media have always had to have a 'bad' royal in each generation and Andrew is the 'bad' one in his.

In 20 - 30 years time it will be Harry - the hanger on younger brother who is no longer needed as William's children will be reaching working age.

People criticised Andrew for mixing golf with his official visits but he did that, and still does that, because he was the Captain of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club at St Andrews - the home of golf. As a Past Captain he is also expected to attend some of the major golf tournaments around the world.

No one criticised Harry for arranging his official visit to Brazil last year to coincide with the World Cup and two of his official activities were to watch football games. Rather than pay his own way to those games Harry arranged to make them 'official duties' and he isn't even the President of the FA (that is William).
Old 01-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing that has occurred to me as far as Andy and golf is that perhaps it is something set up by the people he's visiting and doing business with. We've seen it numerous times when William has gone on tours somewhere that somewhere in the itinerary there would be something with search and rescue being the focus. With Kate and George, it was things that would interest a new mother and there was a boat load (including the boat) of gifts geared to a wee one. Is it not possible to think that perhaps knowing Andrew's love for the game of golf that people would go out of their way to set up a golf package for him? We can't just assume that all the golf outings are of Andrew's own private planning.

It would be along the lines of sending me on these trips and everyone knowing just how much I loved my brown cows. They would go out of their way to make sure they had their finest, creamiest milk and the best root beer to be had for them.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

If these allegations are proven true it would take Andrew a bit beyond the "bad royal of the generation."

I am trying to reserve judgment until we see some of those docs the U.S. attorney supposedly has. We are still at the pleading stage of this fight.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
It's only the tabloids who are saying he will address the scandal. When he doesn't, then they can criticize him for ducking the issue and NOT addressing it
Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Andrew should address the scandal. He should do it at home and be truthful.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Andrew should address the scandal. He should do it at home and be truthful.
I think this could be very dangerous for Andrew. What's he going to say? If it's true, he's hardly going to admit it. I think any statement he makes would just be a blanket denial of any impropriety, and I think BP has already said something to that effect.

At this stage no specific allegations have been made against him. By this I mean dates, times, acts alleged to have been performed, conversations alleged to have taken place, etc. The plaintiffs, or prosecutors, as the case may be, need to state their claims, and until they do so he should keep his mouth shut.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think this could be very dangerous for Andrew. What's he going to say? If it's true, he's hardly going to admit it. I think any statement he makes would just be a blanket denial of any impropriety, and I think BP has already said something to that effect.

At this stage no specific allegations have been made against him. By this I mean dates, times, acts alleged to have been performed, conversations alleged to have taken place, etc. The plaintiffs, or prosecutors, as the case may be, need to state their claims, and until they do so he should keep his mouth shut.

I thought that places and times and some details had been alleged