Sarah's Interviews and Television Appearances

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see her recuperating from this for the very reason, that she knew better than to pull something like this, but did anyway.

I really don't see her regaining any kind of major popularity as she once owned either. As the previous posts have shown, she's gone from being a nobody to a somebody because of her marriage to Andrew. Once that marriage was dissolved and time passed, the only thing that remains is a popularity that once was, heading quickly to being a nobody who thinks she should be somebody but it doesn't seem that anybody really seems to care. Her interviews have not done her any favors and I kind of sense that she's growing angry that people aren't seeing her as she wanted them to see her as.

Sarah's sell by date has come and gone. No means of repackaging it is going to do much good I'm afraid.

A long overdue self imposed & highly suggested exhile seems to be in order. Although I doubt it will happen.

She's run out of options and other identities to morph into. How many times can she make mistakes and be forgiven? She's too old for this and her interviews keeps showing a woman with an unjustified superiority complex.

Thankyou for your insights Diarist it is quite fascinating. I would love to read why you think Andrew chose her. Because even back then some thought she was an odd choice for a wife for him. As to Iluvbertie how you can say Sarah hasn't lied is beyond me. Clearly she has, she said she didn't sell access to Andrew she did, she said she didn't get a bag full of money she did it is all on tape for the world to see. If you read her first biography and then the second you will find it is very different so clearly she is either lying in the first or the second. No one's past suddenly changes. Sarah said her mother was abusive then she back tracked. So yes I feel very comfortable calling Sarah a liar others here have also called her one so I'm not sure why you are picking on my post. She is no longer The Duchess of York yet continues to call herself this so people will pay attention. Her name is Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and that is how she should be addressed not The Duchess as she herself continues to call herself in interviews and on her own official webpage. As for her moving out I would think that a 52 year old woman who has earnt well over 200,000 thousand dollars it will be much more then that with the interviews etc she has done can afford to RENT a house of her own instead of living off an ex husband. The show was supposed to help Sarah start a fresh and find out why she did what she did. Problem was that Sarah didn't really want to admit any mistakes and Dr Phil never really helped her but she did get to put a label that really pleased her on some of her actions. She is a people pleaser just not the people who worked for her who she owed and owes so much money for working for her or the shops etc who she bought things but didn't pay. I have no respect for her any I had is well and truly gone her behaviour on 60 minutes is something to be ashamed off. She knew what questions where being asked and she has watched that footage before on Oprah so why it was suddenly a big deal to her is odd. You may believe her lies but I don't Sarah blames everyone else for everything and never looks at herself as the problem. Sarah even lies about being homeless she at least part owns but more then likely fully owns the place Argentina given all the money she has said she gave her mother and has put into the place over the years and then there is a very large property in Tuscany that she gets rent from. I think Sarah thrives on getting sympathy and thinks getting people to feel sorry for her will help them forgive her. It has stopped working however she seems to be revealing her true colours. Sarah's own feelings of self entitlement and arrogance in demanding things that can and can't be shown are far from endearing. Channel Nine might buy the show but usually an interview is done to promote something and there has been no word that they have bought it. I would think with all this publicity it would have been mentioned as part of the PR but it hasn't which makes me think it could be the book. Or why is Sarah even doing an interview here in Oz? According to her recent Hello magazine Sarah isn't in debt and has an income of 100,000 dollars a year so the whole she can't afford to move is just ridicules. Plus she gets an allowance of 15,000pounds from Andrew. Pretty sure most of us could live in a nice house, pay our bills and eat very easly with the money she gets! I think she stays at Royal Lodge so people will buy the whole Andrew and I are still really together stuff she tries to sell and because it makes some people think she is close to the Royal Family and it is a great address to have. Sarah needs really to just go away and be quiet for awhile. She isn't a celebrity she is the ex wife of a prince who still wants to live the life she once had. Pity she didn't think of what life would be like when she had the affairs and whined how hard it was to be Royal! Sarah got her wish but it hasn't turned out like she thought it would. I think she thought she would get a rich man especially after her affairs with wealthy men but I guess they didn't think she was the marrying kind! It is just sad now like watching a train wreck and I think she has further to fall. As for Big Brother on what planet would Sarah going on such a classless show be good for her daughters and Prince Andrew. You say she is a private citizen but she isn't she doesn't want to be and what she does matters it gets printed world wide and it causes distress for her own children and Andrew. Many people here have suggested what could be done and the Queen giving her an allowance is an idea in exchange for her behaving herself of course. I actually don't think it would work because for Sarah it would never be enough and I don't think the Queen should be lumbered with her. Sarah seems to want to be famous but has no actual talent to be. She married a Prince that didn't take skill and people didn't get to choose her. I don't think she has hit rock bottom yet and nothing she will do will surprise me at this stage! The next interview she does will be interesting though.

Really I want to say "Poor Sarah" but I don't know if I can anymore. Everything is just getting repetitive.

I was talking to a friend this evening who is definitely not a Royal watcher. I don't know how it came up in conversation but we started talking about Sarah and she said she had seen a commercial on TV here where she was "running through a field and there was a close up of her and she looked terrible". This is from a woman who is approximately the same age. She thought the whole thing was very strange and said that though she had liked her in the beginning that she didn't anymore because of all the nonsense she had heard about her. I mention this only because I think there are probably a lot of people out there that feel the very same way.

Sarah did have a right to get up and storm out of the interview, however, what did she expect from a news program such as 60 Minutes, if the Australian version is anything like the US version. The US version doesn't tip toe around questions and I cannot believe that Sarah was blindsided by the video.
Perhaps she was, anyway, her actions by storming out and creating a fuss have backfired because the news show is showing her walking out as a juicy teaser for the show. People who storm out of interviews actually do themselves more harm than good. For someone to go on the high road is to face what he/she did and explain or apologize, but remain in control, reporters want persons to do as Sarah did and unfortunately she fell for the bait. I must say Sarah isn't the only one failing, we've seen many celebs, people do the same and it made things worse for the person.
Alex, thank you for your posts, as always they are very insightful.

All I can think of as far as the NOTW scandal segment of 60 minutes which Sarah got upset about is that although she agreed that questions as far as the scandal could be asked, it would then be answered with her generic "we don't want to talk about that" so the interview moves on. It might have thrown her for a loop when the interviewer wanted to go over the actual footage with her and she realized that she was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps Sarah was hoping that with doing the "Finding Sarah" series and follow up book, that would divert attention away from the Cash for Access scandal and all interviews would be about her remarkable insights, how great Andrew still is and how close they are and her adept skills as a mother. In other words, paint a bright picture of the "new and improved Sarah".

Who wants to bet that Sarah is fuming that the clips of her walking off the set and demanding editing are even being aired?

I've often thought it too bad that Sarah didn't learn a more lady-like walk. She'd wear a tiara and a ballgown and beautifully coiffed and made-up, and then she'd ruin the effect by walking like a farm-hand--a MALE farmhand. A professional woman, let alone a royal duchess--current or former--shouldn't walk like that. It's not noticeable when she's standing at a podium or giving interviews, of course.

from her whoomph whoomph walk to her loud, braying voice, suggested noise.

I've often thought it too bad that Sarah didn't learn a more lady-like walk. She'd wear a tiara and a ballgown and beautifully coiffed and made-up, and then she'd ruin the effect by walking like a farm-hand--a MALE farmhand. A professional woman, let alone a royal duchess--current or former--shouldn't walk like that. It's not noticeable when she's standing at a podium or giving interviews, of course.

I had heard about Sarah's ungainly walk, but never really thought about it until I saw her after the Young Victoria premiere in Toronto. When Sarah and Beatrice and Eugenie left, the crowd parted, and Sarah marched - not stepped - through on her high heels, lifting the skirt of her long gown. It did seem jarring.

Perhaps Sarah was hoping that with doing the "Finding Sarah" series and follow up book, that would divert attention away from the Cash for Access scandal and all interviews would be about her remarkable insights, how great Andrew still is and how close they are and her adept skills as a mother. In other words, paint a bright picture of the "new and improved Sarah".

Yes, I think this is what she was hoping. Remember, Sarah was able to capitalize hugely on her past public disgraces. She blamed her behaviour on her insecurities and on a lack of self-awareness, and she spent the next ten or fifteen years telling the world how she'd followed steps to change. Sarah won a lot of public sympathy, because people related her insecurities and struggles. They bought her self-help books and identified with her weight loss journey.

So when Sarah found herself in public disgrace again, she decided her only choice was to build her public image up again in exactly the same way. Unfortunately for Sarah, times have changed: there's a new generation of royals, and Sarah has had years to "find herself" and change her ways - in fact, she spent the last ten or fifteen years telling everyone that her problems were people-pleasing and low self-worth! What a coincidence, that these were the only insights she gained from the Finding Sarah program!

Yes, I think Sarah is surprised that public opinion isn't turning in her favour this time around. We can bemoan her cluelessness and stubborness, but I give Sarah some credit. As Diarist mentions, she - an ordinary girl - married a prince, a war hero. She somehow won Andrew's heart. Then, just when the world thought she had hit rock bottom, she rose from the ashes to a very lucrative career, thanks mostly to the Weight Watchers' contract, and also to her ability to elicit sympathy from the public. Sarah was disciplined enough to keep her weight down for at least ten years and work tirelessly as a Weight Watchers' ambassador. I give her credit for that.

So, twice in her life, Sarah achieved public success far beyond what anyone would expect of an average girl with no outstanding talents. Because of this, I partly understand why Sarah seems so out of touch with reality right now. She had a luxurious public life for 25 years, and is convinced that she can get it again. I think the "two Sarahs" we see are real...Sarah can be strong-willed and intelligent (or maybe manipulative); but she also comes across as clueless because she doesn't understand that for the last 25 years, she's been living a public life that far outstrips her real market value. Or does she not understand that? I think the "insecure Sarah" that she so often references is real, because I do think that somewhere inside, Sarah remembers who she was before she married Andrew (a "nobody") and she is terrified of going back there. Without the royal connections, the public life and the wealth, Sarah doesn't know who she is.

Regardless of her reason for running off the set, she worsened her situation and made herself look guilty, unprepared and as usual, gullible to the point of dullness.

Now, it's possible she likes to react dramatically to things and just does so as a matter of course. But I suspect she really had put that NotW video out of her mind, as if it doesn't exist and changed the facts about it in her head (is her mother a child beater or not? I can't remember now). No doubt it's quite upsetting to her to have to actually watch it (and I wonder whether she *really* watched it at any time - including this time - or has consistently run from looking at her past).

Not such an ordinary girl, make no mistake, she was near the royal family all her life and an examination of her family tree may give you a surprise, she, perhaps has more royal and noble blood than Diana, the titled one, had. Even the so called "polo player" her mother left her father for had his share. She was not royal, but descended from royalty and knew the royal family all her life, in fact it was her cousin (distant or not) who promoted the idea of a marriage to Andrew by getting them together - Diana.

I have to agree with expat on this. Sarah was in the close shadow of the BRF all her life. That is something that has always baffled me: she traveled in many of the same circles as members of the RF and she knew the "rules" of Society, etc., yet she passed herself as being totally clueless to the family and lifestyle she married into. Doesn't make sense to me. If you want to look at "ordinary girls" who won the heart of a prince, look at Sophie and Catherine. Neiter girl had any royal connection or influence, and they seem to be doing fine.

I agree with you Osipi and Rmay. I think the problem with the video was that Sarah couldn't say there was no case with cash in it because there it was on film her taking the money. It doesn't suit her version of events and Oprah even though she watched it seemed to either skip this and just take Sarah's version of things even though the video shows different. Sarah couldn't give her now tried and to her true answers and panicked. It showed her in a very bad light and gave the show more publicity then if she hadn't reacted that way. Sarah was ordinary maybe by royal standards but she was still upper class. Her lifestyle was off the jet set and I don't know about Kim but Paddy was a millionaire so she got used to a rich lifestyle. She worked but even her employers admitted she wasn't very good at her job but she had a great personality so she got away with a lot. She is looking old and tired and I always wondered how to describe her walk and someone here described it perfectly like a male farmer. Really just makes you wonder what Andrew saw that no one else ever has, even Paddy McNally while happy to have fun with her didn't want to marry her.

Perhaps the answer to Meadow's question (rhetoricalor not) is that men with experience could see through her and see the real woman inside.

Perhaps the answer to Meadow's question (rhetoricalor not) is that men with experience could see through her and see the real woman inside.

One should not forget that Andrew came from a family with a loving couple as parents and a grand-mother who had loved her husband very much as well. He was used to people keeping up their appearances when in contact with his family, so he might even have thought that this world he lived in was genuine (and maybe it was), he was a soldier and experienced the reliable cameraderie of the armed forces. I believe that he was taught that there are girls who are mistress material and those who are ladies.

And then there was Sarah who knew how to behave, who had a suitable background but obviously was sexually experienced and lots of fun. They formed a friendship which still helds till today or so it seems. Who would have thought that this girl would not keep up her appearance and would not love him as the women in his family have had loved their husbands? Obviously neither Andrew nor the queen.

As an aside: when William married Catherine the queen granted permission in a privy council document, calling Catherine "most trusty" or something similar. Does anyyone know what the queen called Sarah in a similar document?

She needs to STOP(.) DOING(.) INTERVIEWS(.)! If it's not St. Oprah, it's just going to dig her hole deeper.

One should not forget that Andrew came from a family with a loving couple as parents and a grand-mother who had loved her husband very much as well. He was used to people keeping up their appearances when in contact with his family, so he might even have thought that this world he lived in was genuine (and maybe it was), he was a soldier and experienced the reliable cameraderie of the armed forces. I believe that he was taught that there are girls who are mistress material and those who are ladies.

And then there was Sarah who knew how to behave, who had a suitable background but obviously was sexually experienced and lots of fun. They formed a friendship which still helds till today or so it seems. Who would have thought that this girl would not keep up her appearance and would not love him as the women in his family have had loved their husbands? Obviously neither Andrew nor the queen.

As an aside: when William married Catherine the queen granted permission in a privy council document, calling Catherine "most trusty" or something similar. Does anyyone know what the queen called Sarah in a similar document?

I don't know if you realised I was talking about Paddy McNally and not Prince Andrew who was certainly not wise in the ways of the world outside his fairly confined royal circle, and truly expected, as you said, that he was at the beginning of a long happy marriage such as his parents had and a loving one as his grandparents had had.

I don't know if you realised I was talking about Paddy McNally and not Prince Andrew who was certainly not wise in the ways of the world outside his fairly confined royal circle, and truly expected, as you said, that he was at the beginning of a long happy marriage such as his parents had and a loving one as his grandparents had had.

Oh, today is my day of missunderstandings - yes, I realised you were talking about this race driver as a man with experience and wanted to highlight that Andrew OTOH wasn't - and thus went into the marriage trap which McNally avoided. :flowers:

Let's get back on topic with Sarah's Interview and Television Appearances.

I saw a couple of these shows, and came away thoroughly disgusted with Sarah Ferguson Windsor-Mountbatten. This woman is ethically bankrupt and is seeking a new spin on why she did all those things she did. Suze Orman asked her about her finances and Sarah said she "had nothing". Suze said but you're not on the street are you? "I have nothing". I would say that an ex-husband and two daughters providing financial support is not the same as a person who truly "has nothing". Being chauffeured around, getting massages, flying hither, thither and yon...who is picking up the tab on these things? I feel no sympathy for this woman. I just wish she would fade quietly into private life so that we don't have to hear about her anymore with her latest scandal, latest mea cupla, lastest, "I am so sorry!"

Sarah's 60 Minutes interview was on here in Oz tonight. Oh dear is all I can say. Talk about a self inflated ego. I didn't see the poor little people pleasing Sarah I saw the self important, rude and aloof Sarah. She won't be winning any fans after that display. Starts off ok the reporter actually says at times she was funny, charming and was readily to admit to her past mistakes. Then they sat down to talk serious and that is when she turned into Bad Fergie (according to Michael that is what she calls herself when she does big mistakes etc other then that she is Sarah) Not that Michael called her Sarah no she was The Duchess all the way through and you get the impression that is coming from her side. You all know how much I hate that. She is Sarah but clearly she doesn't like being called that. I must say Sarah didn't look good and boy is that cover of her book airbrushed. She is not aging well her face is puffy and makeup was bad. She did have on these lovely diamond drop earrings and I kept thinking why didn't she sell them to pay some of her debts! Her debts never got talked about in fact when he asked something she didn't like she sighed and pulled a face.

Sarah actually got up and walked out when he said did you pick up that cash from the table and take it with you and she answered yes that she took it too her car but she gave it back. So the reporter said when the scandel broke and she said when I realised it was a scam.....he tried to find out when that was when Sarah went all funny and turned to her PR and said remember, remember and snapped her fingers then got up leaving the reporter halfway through a question that he reminded her she had agreed to answer anything. She came back looking pissed and clearly was not happy.

I think the interview was said to be on a private estate I thought maybe Royal Lodge the room was full of pictures of Sarah and the girls, Sarah and Andrew. What she says about the girls is sortof scary to me. Sarah states that she has done a wonderful job as a mother and many people cant say that and how brave she is for saying it. The girls are her everything and lifeblood and that when they shine people will say she can't be all that bad! This from a woman who allowed them to be seen crying on a talk show, lets them support her and tags along with them to events. The reporter talked about Will and Kates wedding Sarah gives her pat Thailand response. If she had been around Bea wouldn't have worn that hat Sarah would have made sure it was there earlier and she would have had it changed.

Sarah admits on the one hand that she is divorced from the royal family so she can't expect to be invited to weddings etc but on the other hand she wishes she was still involved that she longs for the finery and to be with her girls and she longs for that life then she adds for the girls. Sarah stated she couldn't have her cake and eat it too which I found funny because that is exactly what she is doing! Because of her tantrum I think it forced the reporter to tone down the interview but even then she wasn't happy and some of her answers made that pretty clear. Yet she says that the Oprah show gave her the tools to deal with her life I guess she left them in the shed the day of the interview! Oh and this is hilarous she says that she has made many mistakes when she was young but at 51 she has learnt from them.....umm she only did one of the biggest last year at 50 so clearly she hasn't learnt that much.

On the subject of love she doesn't think any man could put up with her and the press etc. The reporter agreed with her on that one in a jokey/not really joking kind of way. She and Andrew lead seperete lives and they both are free to date others. I think she has toned down her worship of Andrew so I think she has either been told too or has gone back to her old stance now she is debt free and earning some big bucks again. This has been my view of the interview I watched it a few times and you can get a transcript of it at the sixty minutes site. My take is that Sarah has her answers for things and if you question those answers or ask something she doesn't want to answer in general she let's you know it and clearly can't cope with someone asking for the truth from her. I bet she is really upset that they didn't cut and they showed the good and bad side of her (most of it bad with her sigh's and her general facial expressions and not happy ones). I don't think her book is going to sell very well over here at all. Which was the point of the interview! Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Thank you Meadow. Like you, all I can say is "Oh dear". The only good thing about the interview is that at least she toned down her hero-worship of Prince Andrew and admitted that they are leading separate lives.

Thank you Meadow. Like you, all I can say is "Oh dear". The only good thing about the interview is that at least she toned down her hero-worship of Prince Andrew and admitted that they are leading separate lives.

I have always thought that they were living seperate lives. I will stop there before I get deleted.

Thanks Meadow for your insights into the 60 minutes interview that Sarah had with Michael Usher.

Although the interview didn't go well, reading over the blog that Usher wrote about it, he was actually kind to Sarah in it. Although the transcript of the interview won't be available until Monday, Usher's blog is quite interesting.

Seeing Red

I noticed from Michael Usher's blog that Sarah is still travelling with her entourage...her team of six...publicist, agent, stylists and assistants. Those who refuse to learn from their mistakes are bound to repeat them.

I noticed from Michael Usher's blog that Sarah is still travelling with her entourage...her team of six...publicist, agent, stylists and assistants. Those who refuse to learn from their mistakes are bound to repeat them.

I noticed that too. I just hope her entourage asked for cash up front. :D

Even in the interview he was understanding of her and it is a pity she reacted so badly she would have come off better if she had been professional about it. Sarah probably thinks that cutting down from 12 to 6 is a major cutback for her but I hope they have something in writing to ensure payment it's pretty stupid of them to work for someone with her track record with staff. They may get paid in advance and the stylist should be sacked Fergie looked terrible her hair and makeup were both so wrong.

If Sarah had nothing to hide then she wouldn't have needed to get so nervous I think she got worried that he would ask some tough questions and reacted badly if she doesn't want to answer certain questions she and and her staff should make that clear. They had agreed before the interview happened they would answer anything and the footage wasn't a problem. I wonder if it was her PR's doing ensuring they got the interview then once it was there they backed out. This isn't going to go down well and other's seeing this will jump on her. Clearly even by the reporters own words Sarah is not content and she has to play the game because it is the way she earns cash!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom